The Young Pope

Is it too early to say this might actually be the best show of all time?

The Wire and The Sopranos are pretty much perfect for writing/acting, but the visual quality doesn't come close to The Young Pope. Twin Peaks reaches the same level of quality, but they fuck it up in the second season. But then again that might happen to The Young Pope too, since apparently they're continuing it.

As a limited series though, which I think was the original intention, it's a huge step forward for the whole medium of television. It really is like a ten-hour film by a great director. There's not a single image that looks cheap or compromised.

Seriously, what's better than this? I haven't seen "The Decalogue" yet and I've liked the movies I've seen from Kieslowski, so maybe I should look at that

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtYyZ2HNUk
youtu.be/vUaBx4idScg?t=2m26s
youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, it's never too early for the truth

Nope.
I don't think anything can compare. The last time I've had such strong positive reaction to a tv show was Twin Peaks and that was fucking ages ago.
I'm also terrified of the 2nd season. It would be really hard to make the show better and they can easily fuck up the equilibrium.

I really wanted to start watching this show, but then again it's popular and normies like it therefore it's an automatic no for me

Normies like it? Not really, and even if they did they could never fully appreciate Pius XII's character, they might see him as "interesting because he's such a reactionary asshole"
Believe me, it's worth watching and you'll come away with a deep sense of satisfaction

Sad!

As long as everyone, cast and crew, from the first season is involved then it may not be better but I don't see how it could be bad.

Easily - make him do miracles more often or saturate it with too much stupid humor and now the show is fucked. It would be easy to break it.

No, it's confirmed

Mad Men and Sopranos are better.

TYP is great as a 1 season thing, who knows if they can maintain the standard in coming seasons? Not going to be easy.

They are, it's Sorrentino's/Law's show, totally in their hands

Nah, I think this show could appeal to pretty much anyone. The writing is great, but it's not difficult to understand.

Pleb

>Mad men

Fuck off

>the coming seasons

who cares, the show as it is now, as a Gesamtkunstwerk is amazing and superior to most american shows

People who have preconceptions of what this show should be like dislike it.
Like those people who expect it to be like House of Cards, a satire on Catholic Church or Sup Forums the tv show.

I've literally talked to people and read reviews that were dismissive oft the show because they didnt sympathize with Lenny as a character based on his politics

Mad Men is up there. You could make a case for it.

I loved The Sopranos, but it's so cynical that I can't put it on the same level as The Young Pope. David Chase hates all of his characters.

Sorrentino doesn't shy away from his characters' capacity for darkness and wrongdoing, but he balances it out with optimism and genuine sweetness. None of the characters are one-sided, they're capable of love and selflessness as well as lies, manipulation, anger, ego, etc.

Yeah and I've talked to a friend who I thought was pretty intelligent and she stopped after the first episode because it wasn't funny enough.

the young kino is pretty goat, though true detective S1 might be slightly better.

my exact sentiments

I don't really blame anyone who was turned off by the pilot, I think that was pretty much the intention. If it was actually ten episodes of wacky Lenny verbally battering his staff and drinking Cherry Coke Zero, I wouldn't have been crazy about it either.

The speech at the end of episode 2 was the moment that really hooked me in. HBO was smart to release the episodes two at a time

>watching the The Trump Pope

No thanks, it's almost like every stereotype about americans except the pope is intelligent enough to pull it off.

Is self centered, arrogant, thinks he is above everyone and looks at everything with contempt.

Terrible overrated show.

>ahaha there's no guns and nothin exciting happens

How's that any different from TYP you moron

It's easy to spot a critic who didn't actually watch the whole thing.

>The writing is great, but it's not difficult to understand.
how is that wrong you snob piece of shit?

It's not wrong at all, I meant it as a compliment. That poster was basically saying "it's not for normies." I think pretty much anyone who watches the whole season could understand and appreciate it. Accessibility isn't a bad thing. The writing isn't dumbed-down, but it expresses its ideas very clearly.

I'm sorry then, I understood that as if you meant it's a bad thing,, but I'm kinda drunk so sorry

I forgive you.

>Sup Forumsmblr never shuts the fuck up about it
>decide to watch it
>i'm sexy and i know it starts playing

It's so cringey I thought I would burst a blood vessel in my face,

The Leftovers is a better show.

Atlanta isn't visually ambitious, but the photography is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen on TV. DP for that show deserves an award for sure

I doubt it, but I only saw a few episodes of the first season. I'm not a fan of Damon Lindelof, and from what I saw of The Leftovers it looked like more of his usual schtick

>Is it too early to say this might actually be the best show of all time?
Be very careful now. mhmm

Nootka Man Chronicles is fine.

Get ready, Season 2 is gonna be pro-gay

>Holy father, homosexuality and pedophilia aren't alike, in homosexuality there is only love!

Good thing that was in the last episode because I almost
D R O P P E D
the show right there

but is purposefully cringy

>There's not a single image that looks cheap or compromised.
I think there was a big drop in quality during the NYC pedo investigation arch, but other than that it was pretty much flawless.

you should at least watch the two seasons, i think it's really underrated.

>I don't really blame anyone who was turned off by the pilot, I think that was pretty much the intention.

The whole point of the first episode was to put you in the place of the Catholics he addressed. Just like them you were supposed to feel angry and yet intrigued. If the viewer stuck with it like a good Catholic would stick with their beliefs then you were richly rewarded.

>the reactionary pleb communicates in memes

THE FATHER
The Sopranos

THE SON
The Young Pope

The Holy Spirit
Seinfeld

>you said to me on that deserted beach in california "you can touch my legs"
>but I didn't do it
>there my love is love lost

I agree. I watched the series a second time and it's pretty much perfect, from beginning to end.

The first time I watched it though, I enjoyed the whole thing, but for the first five episodes or so the "House of Cards in the Vatican" comparison didn't seem inaccurate. It was really the last 3 or 4 episodes that elevated it from an above-average cable drama to something really special

>Is it too early to say this might actually be the best show of all time?

It's not just that it's too early, you just need to watch more shows if you think that highly of Sorrentino's mediocre leftovers. FX and Cinemax shows will blow your mind if you're that easily impressed.

>you just need to watch more shows if you think that highly of Sorrentino's mediocre leftovers
Name a few. I don't think "best show ever made" is hyperbole here, television is a pretty young art form and there's not much on this level of quality.

How many people cried at episode 9?

Because NYC is low quality by itself.

Yep, twice actually. I really can't remember the last movie/show that got me like that

...aaaand he's got nothing. All hail The Young Pope

that series about a guy mowing his partners lawn is bretty gud

Who was he shooting at?

It's certainly Sorrentino's best (primarily) English language offering. I was less worried for it once I had seen Youth but it surpassed my expectations by a pretty big margin.

As far as tv shows go, it's not got that much competition. It's certainly in my top 3 and I'm interested to see how the second season works out, considering how it ended (which I thought was really self-indulgent on Sorrentino's part and not as good as I think it might have been)

>which I thought was really self-indulgent on Sorrentino's part
What, the big zoom-out?

Yeah, with Jesus in the clouds. It was a little bit underwhelming in my opinion and almost laughable. Especially if you compare it to other Sorrentino like the ending of La grande bellezza or Il Divo.

>He drops the baby
This is a phobia of mine. I borderline get a panic attack just thinking abot holding a baby.

Here's something interesting related to the opening theme of The Young Pope

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtYyZ2HNUk

The intro theme song Watchtower by Devlin is a remixed version of All Along The Watchtower performed by Jimi Hendrix. The original song was written by Bob Dylan with the full lyrics as what follows:

>"There must be some way out of here, " said the joker to the thief, "There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
>Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth, None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

>"No reason to get excited, " the thief, he kindly spoke, "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
>But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate, So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

>All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
>While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

>Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
>Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

Several reviewers of the song pointed out the song lyric's allusion to a passage in the Bible, the Book of Isaiah, Chapter 21, Verses 5-9:

>Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield./For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth./And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with much heed./...And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

This passage refers to a scene wherein the guard at the watchtower and the coming of two chariots signaled the fall of Babylon and the death of their false idols.

1/2

I was underwhelmed by his final speech, and a bit confused by a lot of things in the last episode. I kinda want to watch it again. Episode 9 and the conclusion of Gutierrez's arc kinda gave me all the payoff & closure I could've wanted from this series, but then the actual ending was as mysterious as the beginning.

There's nothing in the show to "prove" it, but that whole last speech was shot strangely and felt kind like a dream sequence in a lot of ways. It'd kind of make sense as a bookend, since the series began the same way, showing his face to the public and giving a speech in his dream. And are we supposed to believe that his parents really are out there in the crowd? We only see them through Lenny's toy telescope, and iirc they're dressed exactly the same as they are in his "flashbacks" even though they're older.

I agree with you though, it left me a little cold compared to the episode that came before it, but I felt like there were a few things that might've gone over my head.

>almost laughable
A lot of things in this series walk right on that line where earnestness could turn into corniness. I started laughing at the miracle scene when that bright golden light started coming in the windows, but then suddenly I was crying instead

And fwiw, he sees the virgin Mary in the clouds, not Jesus, and it's an exact match of that earlier shot where he's staring into the sky after Sister Mary's helicopter disappears

How did he lift god's weight?

>pope in the pool
youtu.be/vUaBx4idScg?t=2m26s

It went over most of "critics" and normies head though.
What they got from it was basically
>lol trump pope
>lol house of cards in vatican
>I only watched 3 episodes and I can say it's bad
Probably because the show ended up being pro-religion.

>it's an user thinks don draper was supposed to be cool and sympathetic episode

Burgers are masters at missing the point of a piece of art, I wonder if their shitty education system is at fault.

Yeah it's all very odd. It would make sense if Sorrentino already knew there was another season lined up, but I'm not sure he did at that point, so it was perhaps meant to wrap most of it up.

Is it? That makes a little bit more sense then and contextualises the placement of his parents in the crowd somewhat.

But for me, I hadn't really found any of the "earnest" stuff corny until that moment, so maybe that's why it was more jarring.

Don Draper treated a lot of people like shit and he's not a guy you'd want to emulate, but ultimately he was a very sympathetic character.

ok isaac

A lot of complains I hear about the show is that Don Draper is supposed to be this cool suave guy that fedora want to be and not a walking character study on masculinity in the end of the XXth century.

This cover is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=x2Yl0ALK3-4

Writing and acting are far more important than visuals in a television show, so nah.

Season 2 will be about him ordering the Swiss Air Guard to drop napalm on refugees.
Cap this post.

But this isn't lacking at all in those categories, either.

Vioello was so good as a character. He was a scene stealer.

This part got to me. The plane scene was one of my favorites too.

Westworld.

You're joking.

Apparently he's a pretty big deal in Italy, which is why they picked him to balance fucking Jude Law in a drama role.

Agreed. I did not expect at all that I'd find him so endearing by the end

Strongly agree

Second season has a lot of kino moments, International Assassin is my go-to when I have to pick a favorite tv show episode.
You literally can't regret watching that season.

I'll give it a shot, then. I have heard a lot of good things, but people loved "Lost" and I just wasn't into it so I assumed it wasn't for me

It was beautiful on every level and peeling away the edgy facade after the pilot was a revelation. Simply great.

Well Lost had JJ Abrams' memes and shit writing so it's not really comparable. Don't worry.

I'm still pissed the critics were so bad for this show because they obviously haven't watched to whole thing.
In the internet age anybody can pretend their opinion is relevant and that sucks.

First act of the show is the best pleb filter I have ever seen.

No, I think it's good. I didn't go into this show with high expectations, I really was expecting something like "House of Cards in the Vatican" and was very pleasantly surprised by what the show turned out to be.

Also, I've seen a lot of glowing reviews for this show, so I'm not sure which critics you're reading

Pic related is the entirety of the "critical response" on the show's wikipedia page.
Does it seem fair to you? Are you happy living in a world like that?

>68% metacritic
nah

Forgot pic lel.

I don't care about the "number" it gets on a review aggregator. Anybody who thinks critical consensus is a sign of high quality probably wouldn't get much out of this show anyway

hello retard

My point is the show didn't actually get the praise it deserved.

I watched one episode and was enthralled, plan to pick up the whole season next week.

And now we all feel like we discovered something and saw things the critics didn't, which probably makes the show more enjoyable. I dunno, I don't care much about the reviews and I doubt the creators of the show do either

Dunno if it's my autism or what, but injustice like this triggers me really hard.

The show is tripe

In a world where people are educated enough this show would have been praised as the best ever, and rightly so.
It's a good sign le idiocracy meme isn't that far from the truth.

acquire taste

It also means actually good shows are a bit less likely to happen, which is sad.
A retarded population asks for retarded works.

that's what they said about spiderman 3 too