Pow-ck schopps an' eeyplle saws

>Pow-ck schopps an' eeyplle saws

What did he mean by this?

Another love story parading around as a hard scifi.

Just as bad as Interstellar desu.

god this movie fucking sucked

sup Sup Forums

I liked it

I didn't care for it, it's not terrible, but the entire movie hinges on the idea that language effects how people think, which is stupid. That's race war logic.

ehhh not nessisarily. Like I've heard in Russian they have extra words for different shades of blue that they grow up knowing or something and English speakers when presented with the same two colors will say that they are identical.

He meant that Bane is physically large and so shouldn't have a problem with a little bit of pain.

I just watched it again and liked it a little more this time.

Are you suffering from any degenerative brain disorders by any chance?

I don't get the ending though- like the only way she knew the Chinese guys cell number was because he told it to her 18 months later. And the only way humanity survived those 18 months was because she knew his cell number and called him. But the only way she knew his cell phone number is because he told it to her in the future?

I don't get it.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I can suspend my disbelief about everything else in the movie, but this problem is far too obvious to ignore.

can somebody please tell me the accent he was attempting to mimic? This is not his accent

So the only thing you didn't get was the entire central focus of the story which was re-explained exhaustively dozens of times?

Explain it please, I don't remember. All I know is that she can think non-linearly and thus is able to see her whole life via the alien language.

That's pretty much it. It takes Sapir-Whorf then goes full sci-fi with its application to give her time perception powers

Yes, but there's still the phone number issue: Why does the Chinese General give her his number after the alien situation is solved? In order for them to even be present there together, she had to have used his phone number at an earlier point in time. It doesn't make sense for him to give her that number when she already knows what it is.

This movie is so stupid.

The aliens wanted to make humans learn to work together ( for what reason? We don't know because the writers are too lazy to make something cool up) so they start teaching their language to different nations in parts, to make them work together to figure it out.

But then they just give the lady the language telepathically, so the humans don't need to work together to decipher them at all. The one lady can do it all. Also, the lady uses her future sight powers to find out the chinese guys number and his wife's dying words and shit, so that makes him stop his attack. How the fuck is that humanity learning to work together? It's just one chick and one chink, not world governments working together. And even THAT wouldn't have happened if the aliens didn't cheat and give her the future sight powers

does forrest whitaker ever speak normally in a movie? name one where he does.

I don't know about you, but I don't remember everyone's phone number when they gve it to me. I remember my own and that's about it.

Tenuous reason, I admit. I guess you could call it a type of pre-destination paradox, like being your own grandfather.

Your a real life idiot

Prove my points wrong then

The parts where they focused on making contact with aliens and dealing with the crisis were good. Anything about Amy Adams' character was not.

Also, did China stop their attack because of a fucking random phone call?

post yfw
>wanna make a baby?

Fuck whytey n shiiieeet

>That's race war logic.

That's linguistics.

What was stupid was that knowledge of the alien language would allow you to predict the future and essentially remove free will from humanity. Or maybe we didn't have it in the first place and the alien language proves it?

To what extent does it allow you to see into the future? The world must be pretty dreary if you know everything that will happen and have no power to change the future.

The whole "time travel through perception of the world" is so loopy, but I figured that part was trying to imply the general eventually learned the language too.

So he learns the language and thus realizes he needs to tell her his phone number and his wife's dying words when they meet in person so she can use this info to stop past him.

That's why the scene where they meet in person is so awkward and filled with him explaining things to her she 'should' already be aware of.

Well when Louise asks Ian about whether he would change the future, it's her answer to the question. If you look at her eyes in every single one of the future moments they look a little different then when she's working with the aliens. She's aware of the outcomes and she's actualizing them. She still has free will, she's choosing the future that she saw.

It looks like she sees the future as we see the past. It's like a memory for something that hasn't happened yet versus something that did.

Yeah, I thought that too. She wrote a book on it, so I assumed others also learned it over time