Family Names of your Country

What does your last names mean/signify?
Do people sharing the same last names favor each other in your country?
Do last names signify something about the person or are they irrelevant?

Indian last names can let you gauge a person's:
>region
>caste
>ethnicity
>language/dialect
>economic status
>appearance
>ancestral profession
>personality
>lineage (to some extent)

They mean almost nothing here except that if they have some profession based last name, like Lončar (cauldron maker), that means that they probably had some cauldron maker ancestor.

they used to be your grandfathers name (and 2nd name being your fathers name)

now it's no longer changing like that, sometimes profession, but often it's stuck to the last grandfather before they stopped changing it

in my case my grandfather went back up the family tree as much as he could and changed it to the name of that guy (couldn't find his family name)

Ignoring foreign surnames, every common surname here is widespread across all regions and social classes. Even most of the rarer ones don't let you guess a person's region or lineage.

Some rich families (formerly noble or bourgeois) like to keep the archaic form of their surnames and that's the only example I can think of being able to guess a person's background through his/her surname.

>archaic version of name
Example?

An example is keeping double L's such as:
>Melo -> Mello
>Teles -> Telles
Current orthography doesn't allow double L's. They're pronounced the same as a single L anyways.
Brazilians still use these archaic surnames.

Aren't patronymic last names ending in -ic more common in Serbia?

Yes, but i couldn't think of any ending in -ic but having a profession based background. I know of terzic, since terzija used to be the turkish word for a tailor.

Yes.
Here, if your name ends with -ez, we know you're a useless brown subhuman.

Are there any Brazillian surnames (not counting indigenous) that are not found in Portugal?

they don't mean a shit most of the time

>t. Morales

What do names ending in -gan (Erdogan, Gundogan) and -oglu (Dovutoglu) signify?

Do Kurds have different last names?

Not counting other european surnames either, perhaps there are some rare portuguese surnames that have gone extinct here but still exist there. Can't think of any right now.

They don't mean much. Ethnic Catalans/Valencians/Balearics, Galicians and Basques/Navarrese often bear unique surnames rarely found anywhere else in Spain, but that's about it.

>What does your last names mean/signify?
It's old english for North Cottage
>Do people sharing the same last names favor each other in your country?
In my part of Canada people can be clannish, but no, no one cares if you have the same last name.
>Do last names signify something about the person or are they irrelevant?
You can deduce ethnicity, but they are irrelevant

1. it's a clerical name derived from a lake close to the parish my family comes from. it's fairly rare, so I'm not going to to say it.

2. I doubt it, but for rarer last names it might be a good conversation opener.

3. no, why the fuck would it? your personality is formed during the course of your upbringing.

>why the fuck would it?
I mostly meant if they are signifiers of nobility, dialect etc
Do Swedes have any last names in common with the Norwegians and Danes?

>What does your last names mean/signify?
I believe it's old frisian for son of Aut/Ovt
>Do people sharing the same last names favor each other in your country?
It's a rare name. And this is not a thing in denmark at all
>Do last names signify something about the person or are they irrelevant?
Not really. French, dano-jewish or old nobility names often mean people are well off, though

I do not know about gan but I believe oglu means son of

well, like I said, my last name is a clerical name that one of my ancestors got when he became a priest (back it the 15th century IIRC).

there are also soldiers's names. they are often shorter (most are one syllable), possibly to make it easier to give orders.

the last kind of name I can think of atm are nobles' names. they are often 3-4 syllables long, and have endings like -stierna, -hjelm, -brand (lit: "star", "helm" and "sword"), etc.

but really, while the names can say something about your ancestor that first got them, they don't really say anything about the person who has them today. there has been a great class mobility in sweden during the second half of the 20th century, and people in almost any walk of life can have almost any name.

In Slovene it can be:
>the profession of the first bearer of the surname (Kovač, Zidar, Šuštar, Kolar)
>a lewd or satyric description of a personal trait or appearance of the first bearer (Klobasa, Fikfak, Blaznik, Premrl)
>a geographical feature of the land worked by the first bearer (Bregar, Poljanšek, Pustoslemšek)
>a signifier of regional belonging (Bevc, Zadravec, Kranjc)
>a patronymic (Jurčič, Simončič, Mihelčič)
>there's also the occasional matronymic (Špelič)
>named after an animal (Vovk, Zajc, Medved), which probably relates to #2

My last name means "war god". Pretty cool desu

Thanks for the detailed reply. What can you tell me about names like, say, Torbjörn?

Also, do Swedes have any last names in common with the Norwegians and Danes?

>a lewd or satyric description
Could you translate some of them?