Real Madrid needing to win it again to reclaim their Honour and make history

>Real Madrid needing to win it again to reclaim their Honour and make history
>PSG destroying everyone in their path
>Chelsea and Manchester United back into the mix, with both clubs led by Conte and Mou
>Manchester City undergoing a Renaissance under Guardiola
>a refreshed and upgraded Barcelona with a motivated Messi
>Bayern regaining faith under Heynckes
>Tottenham shocking everyone with their domination of Madrid

Admit it, this has been the most interesting Champions League season in a long while and we aren't even in the knockout stages yet

>united back into the mix
Hahahahhahahahaha

>forgetting punished Liverpool, a team deprived of titles and a defence

them too and Juventus probably wants redemption as well

>Admit it

go back to facebook football memes.

>Halal and Honour in the very same sentence

kek

>EPLel teams
>CL contenders
pick 1

they have the potential desu especially when its Mou and Guardiola managing them

You forgot something OP

group stage is always boring af cause theres too many shitters

>poop will fail to defend properly
>mouyes will fail to score a necessary goal
this is how they will be kicked out of CL this season

They are living in the past. They don't care about titles.

i know but come on, at least give them a chance to prove us wrong

>Beşiktaş being this season's dark horse

Why do JFs fawn over the CL so much?

UCL season 2016/17, compared with season 2017/18 looks like UEL.

>I would rather have my team win eplel than cl

Yes, it has been the most interesting. The English teams are 'back' and a lot of the dominant teams from the last few years have been faltering. Barcelona look pretty shit on paper but have been doing well and PSG look good but still have to prove they can do it against a big team in the knock-out stages.

Why do Brits pretend to not care about it, fox and grapes?

>Chelsea and Manchester United back into the mix, with both clubs led by Conte and Mou
They're working together?

Let's be real, only the usual 3 plus PSG and maaaybe City have a chance

well, duh

>PSG knocks out Barcelona early
>City annihilates Bayern Munich or Real Madrid

wishful thinking?

>Flip OP
>Manchester United back into the mix

fpbp

d-don't bully me

Final will be PSG vs. City. Cap this.

>thinking yesterday's result matters

In the end it will be some meme underachiever like AS Roma or Liverpool

>10 goal thriller
I don't mind

It looks promising but in the end it will be Real/Bayern/PSG/??? in the semifinals.

It's been the shitest.

And the season starts with the playoffs, that's when things get real, the group stage is for the showbusiness.

Because this was the attitude, for a generation. From the mid 70s to the early 80s, English teams dominated the CL. Then English teams got banned until 1991, so naturally the attitude was that we would still be winning it if an old Belgian wall had resisted a scouser assault. So that's ~15 years of thinking "were the best, who cares about anyone else".

The early 90s also coincides with the end of the cold war, and the independence of almost 20 new countries in Europe. So now English teams can play again, and they're going to some place that used to be Russia that no one has ever heard of, and people didn't take it seriously. Due to the massive reformatting of European borders, there was also a reformatting and rebranding of the CL; it's now the "Champions League" instead of the European cup, stars were added everywhere, some gaudy opera song accompanied matches, the inclusion of a group stage to handle all the new national champions, etc.. It was a time when the history was severed, and the new way always lacks the lustre of tradition. It also coincides with Manchester United's total dominance of English football. So while Man Utd probably had their sights set on the CL, most teams, and most supporters had their eyes set on Man Utd. The mid-90s for a non-Man Utd fan was just "Man Utd went to some country to play some kind of mid-season friendly, and we hope they lose".

In the 50s and 60s, top managers and clubs in England were dead-set on winning the European Cup. Maybe a coincidence, but England's only national trophy comes during this period of humbleness, and viewing Europe as the ultimate goal to conquer. Then came a period of dominance, and English chauvinism and complacency came, from 1976-~1991. Then the new Champions League gets off to a slow start regarding interest. man Utd goes away, and who cares. We just want to kill Man Utd. Winning a trophy in Europe against Dynamo Zyblyscech won't change the fact that Man Utd are champions.

I want to say it was 1999 until people finally gave a shit about the Champions League, but I don't think so. I think it was when Liverpool won in 2005 that people began caring. But it was still seen as not as important as the Premier League, because Liverpool were heralded as the best team in Europe (but not the best team in England). In the next four years, English teams lost in the final of the CL. This is the point when each major team got humbled; Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea. Then came a period (now) when English teams were just bad in the CL. That's when people woke up to the fact that maybe (just maybe) the Premier League isn't the best after all.

There's also the cultural disconnect British people feel towards everyone else. It's the island mentality. There's a very famous headline from a newspaper (I think in the 1930s), it reads: "FOG IN CHANNEL - CONTINENT CUT OFF". The implication is that mainland Europe needs Britain, not the other way around. I wish I could go into it more, but there are whole books that detail this attitude, but I think even they won't be able to properly explain it.

tl;dr: British people really didn't give a shit about the CL, and this is still common.

>Real Madrid average
>Atletico Madrid shit
>Barcelona completely dependent on Messi to do anything
No wonder you think it's shit.

>Winning a trophy in Europe against Dynamo Zyblyscech

Except that Eastern European clubs were far more competitive in the pre-CL era and Man Utd and by extensión every english club was absolute and obsolete laughing stock by the time the CL and Ac.Milan, Ajax, OM, and so on came around. Even fucking Red Star Belgrade was miles ahead of them in football terms.

>tl;dr: British people really didn't give a shit about the CL, and this is still common.

Nope
Was a nice essay you wrote though

Besiktas-City final desu

Caring most about the CL to caring the least raking

Liverpool > Man United = Chelsea > City > Tottenham > Arsenal

100% going to draw either Bayern or Real
Also do you know why no away fans are allowed into the stadium against Leipzig?

There's no way that liverpool care more about the CL than United. City also have something to prove this year with the billion dollars spent since pep came on board. Arsenal cares immensely but are a meme now. I'm not convinced that chelsea give a shit at all.

United>City>Liverpool>Arsenal>Tottenham>Chelsea

I wonder if there was a reason for this. Oh wait, UEFA banned English teams for winning it every year

>Manchester United back into the mix

Stopped reading here. They are literally Arsenal tier.

It does look interesting, I'll admit. I feel like Real and Barca could get knocked out early on this year

If PSG don't win then they completely failed.

After so much money on Neymar and Mbappe anything but a win would be a complete failure.

dumb frogposter

Same could be said about City.

Lets rank the CL teams in the knock out stage (based on performance to date):

PSG
City
Barca
Chelsea
Tottenham
Real Madrid
Bayern
United
Roma
Athletico
Juve
Napoli
Liverpool
Basel
Besiktas
RB Leipzig

City didn't spend more than a quarter of a billion on a singe player.

Is this your list? Cuz it's shit

Madrid/barca/psg/bayern wins lol

It's not completely fair to say that about a cup competition, anything can happen and you don't really get a chance to redeem yourself like in a league. We could be sitting in a world where Chelsea have two Champions League titles if John Terry didn't miss his penalty in Moscow for example.

neither did PSG...LOL neymar paid his own release clause. PSG just accepted his services and pay his wages.

It is unironically the correct order

We already did history winning 2 consecutive CLs.

a threepeat is more memorable

>portugal talks about raking
>suddenly a leaf appears
hmm

PSG, City, Barca and Real are the only teams that can win the CL this season. The rest are not good enough or don't have the experience.

>thinking any of your results matter
Mickey mouse group with Basel, benficucks and cska lmao

holy shit this makes tones of sense nice post

>leaf oppinions
Porto is ahead of east germany sports drink fc in the group and will play the already eliminated team at home
also the rest of your list is shit

bump

Except winning tournaments, of any kind, is a lot easier than winning a league. Wigan won the FA Cup in 2013. Does that make them the best side in England during 2012-2013? Potentially, but unlikely considering they were relegated. Chelsea won the CL in 2012. Did that mean they were the best side in Europe during 2011-2012? Potentially, but they also finished 6th in the league, so Chelsea were the best side in Europe except for the other 5 teams above them. Portugal won the last Euros, now count how many matches they won in normal time. It carries on like that because they're both completely different formats.
If PSG spend more than City, while playing in a literal Sunday League team, then don't be surprised when they're players look fully fit for their CL match 4 days later. It's possible to do that if your league has no competition and your club routinely spends hundreds of millions. Do you think it's just pure coincidence that the only teams who are put forward as favourites to win the CL from the continent are the same ones who are almost guaranteed to win their domestic league even though they aren't the only teams from their domestic league taking part?
Look, I've read the IQ charts, there's literally no way such a fucking brainlet is Hong Kongnese.

Final 8: Barça, Real, City, Utd, Chelsea, PSG, Porto, Bayern
Final 4: PSG, Porto, Real, City
Winner: Porto

Screencap this. My uncle is a shaman with medium powers.

Monaco haven't lost away this CL season tbhonest

>upgraded Barcelona

replacing Neymar with Deulofailu
Suarez is DONE
Iniesta is 40

Neither did Besiktas

SHUT UP OKAY

>why do fans care about a tournament that pits the best teams in Europe (the world, really) against each other

kek

only medium?

Don't you joke with those things, Fucile

DON'T YOU SAY THOSE THINGS UNLESS THEY ARE TRUE

are you the only porto fan in sp

naw I'm the only Canadian one though ;_;

is canada really full of flips and pakis

Because Lyon fans chimped out last season but somehow we were the ones to blame

Aw. Also every single passport is controlled at entry so the stadium stays fully roach-free.

fpbp

1. Man City 34pts
2. Man Utd 26 pts
3. Some whatever shitter

The """""""""high competitivity""""""""" of the English Premier Lel.

For comparison;

1. El Farsa 34 (ref awarded) pts
2. Valencia 30pts

1. PSG 35pts
2. Monaco 29pts

1. Napoli 35pts
2. Inter 33pts

1. Bayern Munich 29pts
2. Schalke 23pts

This

They've got a few results but their performances have been very underwhelming

JF?

>qualification and group stages designed to prevent most major upset
>moneyteams steamrolling cannon fodder for 70% of the matches
>knockout stage is fully governed by refball

kids these days are so impressionable, they eat up whatever shit is served and cheer for it