32 and 1 month

>32 and 1 month
>Harvard grad
>Rich since birth now literally millionaire ($65 million)
>Speak French fluently
>Youngest Oscar for Best Director since the first ceremony 89 years ago
>Fuck a 10/10 Princeton grad also millionaire
>Massive critical & commercial success for his 2 feature films
>Called a genius by both Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese
>Respected by all the people working with him
>Sup Forums only meme against him: "dishonest filmmaking"

The fact he basically remade Umbrellas of Cherbourg but with shitty music.

>Sup Forums only meme against him: "dishonest filmmaking"

Not the only meme anymore.

J U S T
U
S
T

he has fucking everything and needs to be brought down a peg

also both his flicks are very niche

>The fact he basically remade Umbrellas of Cherbourg but with shitty music.
What the fuck are you talking about.

You didn't see the rip-off that was La La Land? It was basically a remake of Umbrellas and An American in Paris. Both stylistically and plot-wise. The ending dance was basically a shot for shot remake of an American in Paris. The music also sucked.

>given every possible opportunity to succeed in life
>succeeds

wow what a story

What the fuck bro?

dont get offended

reddit doesn't watch movies other then guardians of the galaxy

He's a fucking hack. Literally the only reason he has a career is Hollywood execs give him money mistakenly thinking he's David Chappelle

I like how when you conveniently don't like something popular, you can just call something paying homage a "rip off"

Homage is one thing a shot for shot remake of their choreography is another

>Called a genius by both Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese
No... That never happened.
>Massive critical & commercial success for his 2 feature films
He's done more than 2 features... Just because nobody gave a fuck about him before Whiplash doesn't mean we get to just write out everything else.
>Respected by all the people working with him
So is Guy Ritchie... what does that mean?

If La La Land wasn't about L.A./Hollywood/Artistic pursuit it would have gotten shit. It's a completely average romance, following the same obstacles and trajectory as Whiplash, with tossed in sequences of ripped musical numbers that clash in the beginning then completely disappear by the second act. The "references" aren't even fun like Tarantino movies because, unlike Tarantino movies, Chazelle has no sense of world building and tone. Tarantino makes movies where his "references" come out in a world that they can exist. La La Land just has the regular world, the Whiplash world shot at sunset, but with musical reference numbers. Obviously he is a fantastic director in terms of just putting the whole thing together, and there are brilliant fucking moments throughout the movie, but overall it's not nearly as good as it could have or should have been and it's entirely the fault of Chazelle. He should not have one director but then again I don't know who should have, this year has one of the worst selections I've seen in a while.

>No... That never happened.
Not OP, but I think it's from a Hollywood Reporter video a few months ago.

To be fair Guy Richie is pretty lovable

Paying homage and ripping off are very different and the line between is very thin. All you have to do to know that is look at Student/Indie Films. La La Land is like a massively produced, A-list acted, extremely well crafted student film, but a student film non the less.

Wait...rich since birth?

My respect has dropped massively.

>pics or it didn't happen
I looked everywhere and found nothing.

From the first trailer I was thinking Umbrellas + Punch Drunk.

Both parents university professors, father in Princeton

>succeeds
/notourguy/

They literally stole the Punch Drunk font and color bloom title cards. Like straight ripped.

Yall's mad jelly. This guy is the greatest director since Xavier Dolan.

That's legit money though, I can't hate on professor money. I was expecting scumbag money.

>I looked everywhere and found nothing.
I don't remember man, I think they were talking about Chazelle but he wasn't there

He went on to claim important research positions at institutions such as Carnegie Mellon, Brown, NEC, Xerox PARC, the Institute for Advanced Study, and the Paris institutions École normale supérieure, École polytechnique, Inria, and Collège de France. He is a fellow of the ACM, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, and NEC, as well as a member of the European Academy of Sciences. He has also written essays about music and politics.

His dad is legit

>Got beat by blacks on national TV

The director of Moonlight (Barry Jenkins) is his friend by the way

B-U-L-L, that spells "Friend".

That doesn't give him Best Picture though.

#oscarsowhite

What about La La Land was reminiscent of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg besides the lovers meeting years after their breakup for the final scene in the film?

I've seen TUoC at least ten times, I've only seen La La Land once so I'm happy to have other similarities pointed out to me if you're able.
I thought La La Land was excellent. I was actually impressed with its ability to pay homage to so many greats (the telegraph pole which was basically the exact shot from Singin' in the Rain, for example) without losing its own sense of story; I certainly wouldn't call it a "rip-off", at any rate.

uh these types really fucking annoy me. so smug. wow u fucking went to harvard. when i make my masterpiece i will have actually had to 'make it' knowing literally know one, on pure talent alone

loved la la land though

Same

Obvious nepotism and silver spoon trust fund baby