Valhalla Rising

Thoughts on this movie Sup Forums? Is it good?

no

it's ok

it's a mediocre remake of apocalypse now with vikings

it looks fucking beautiful though like all his movies

it's like neon demon except without models

instead of models it's scandanavian men from the 12th century

like every Refn movie.
edgy
autist protagonists
beautiful pictures
want to imply subtle meanings, symbolism,
but end up being meh artsyfartsy borefest

I like the premise and Mads is always good but the movie sucks its own dick too much and it's much too slow and no I won't go back to capeshit, this is a legit criticism

Slow, yet cinematic-ally beautiful. [There is some mushroom eating(why the sky changes and shit gets a little weird) the stone stacking is for pathfinding home not that it matters]. I liked it is better than a lot of the shit that has been put out.

>beautiful pictures don't have meaning
laughing pretty hard at how hard you are trying to sound smart but also how obviously stupid your output is

>it's much too slow
thats not right

good movie try it out

>[There is some mushroom eating(why the sky changes and shit gets a little weird) the stone stacking is for pathfinding home not that it matters]
What's the meaning of this?

from my memories i can agree with your critics

I was kinda letdown too. But I also had high expectations.

Its one of these movies I have to watch again.

it's ok

I think the biggest problem with the film is how little is done with the premise. There was so many things refn could have used more (The Indians, the mythical aspects, psychedelics, the character of one eye)

I think it should have been like 1 hour longer at least and focused more on horror and the "spiritual" aspects. It could have been a masterpiece

it's my favourite viking movie. It only works as a movie because Mads/scenery is beautiful, otherwise it's a steaming pile of shit.

Literally "Nothing Happens" the movie

Not really.

Literally "Nothing Happens" the post

Viking kino and Refn's best film if you aren't a total pleb. It's a truly (unironically) patrician movie a la Only God Forgives

>Make Bronson
>Never make a kino ever again

JUST

great movie

I think this is pretty on point. I like the movie very much, but it's honestly a struggle to say something positive about it that's not just some reiteration of "Mads was really great to watch" or "many of the wide shots were incredible". It's a beautiful film, but also frankly a pretty one-dimensional one. It presents itself as having some deeper meaning, but it's really only worth it for the technical aspects.

i saw it a long time ago, and after seeing neon demon i like this one more. at least its obvious this movie doesnt have a fucking plot

A movie that no one will ever understand.

You should blaze up before watching it. It's freakin mind blowing!

One of my top three favorite films.

If you set aside all preconceived notions and just take in the imagery, the film is actually very open to interpretation. I read it as a study of masculinity, but you might see it as something different. It doesn't insist that you view it one particular way.

It's also an amazing movie to watch on shrooms due to how ridiculously beautiful the visuals are.

One last thing, pay attention to the subtle aura that seems to emit from many of the characters. You'll notice many characters are shown to have an aura of light around them. I have a theory that the aura indicates which character in in a true position of power in each scene.

Fun fact: Refn origonally wanted to cast Viggo Mortensen as One Eye but he cost too much.