Ghost in the Shell

Shit I didn't realise Weta Workshop were involved in the production design

youtube.com/watch?v=KosBvDyWgnA

Kino confirmed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y7okcXZdPfE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just naturally assumed it was Weta. They do all the best sci-fi designs.

This would have been a good movie if they got the casting right, I'll still watch it for the visuals

I have zero faith in ScarJo.

There's a reason her major contribution to film is her ass in a skin tight suit, not acting.

What's the point of these practical effect when they look like CGI anyways? When i first saw the trailer i thought they looked like CGI. CGI looks more like real life than real life sometimes. There's more uncanny valley with practical effects.

They're the best period.
ILM has been slacking.

>production design

They were only involved in the geisha dolls dude. Everything else is bad cgi

>Ghost in the Shell, a seminal movie in our movie-watching history
What did he mean by this?

Costumes and set design can't save a shallow action flick

Why does this movie even exist?
Fanboys will boycott it because ScarJo isn't fucking Japanese
Normies don't give a shit about anime
Who is the target audience here?

That's a lot of greeble. Can you imagine opening up a Bluray player and seeing greeble like that?

Me.

I love Ghost in the Shell and i love Scarlett even more. The perfect combination for me.

>Fanboys will boycott it because ScarJo isn't fucking Japanese

except they will still see it stfu

It was filmed in Wellington so I guess that makes sense

Those will most likely get replaced with CGI shots instead.

>Normies don't give a shit about anime
They care about token animes to signal diversity and culture.

and you wont be able to tell the difference.

It doesn't hurt.

Major's body isn't either.

i'd really love for that to be true

I'm looking forward to this
The original was corny in a Japanese sort of way
This remake looks corny in an American sort of way
mightBgud

It is true. Can you really tell if this is CGI or practical effects?

>There's a reason her major contribution to film is her ass in a skin tight suit, not acting.

You can tell it's practical when you see it in movement

It is all about movement.

I love richard taylor

they will all still see it
dude from watching the trailers this movie has normie written all over it

dumb anime poster I guess

No you can't

>the weta is good meme
They're the reddit of their profession.

the do now

my ex-gf 12 years ago didn't like me reading manga and crapped up my ghost in the shell novel

now she is now apparently a comic book nerd and remembers the NES even though it didn't break the uk

I guess it doesn't really matter if it's actually practical, as long as it looks real on screen.

Jesus. Can you please stop with that bullshit. She is a cyborg and that cyborg body was designed and build by a Japanese company. Her brain is Japanese, she is a Japanese citizen, she has a Japanese name...etc.
No amount of Bullshit will ever justify to put an bad, dumb jewish actress in that role.

>talking about film CGI
>posts photo

Except all the asian people look distinctly different from the Major and have clear asian features while she doesn't. People who are mad about the actress not being Japanese are being stupid.

>realer than real life

How can they be fanboys if they fail to understand that the shell, played by ScarJo, can literally be anyone of any race. Also if they did cast an Asian in a leading role, it would bomb unless it had a familiar face as a sidekick that got more screentime than Major. Just how it goes in USA.

I can clearly see that that is a practical effect

>who the fuck is rila
>its this alien faced chinawomen
haha

>You think they saved your life...
>The truth is...
>...
>...
>They STOLE it!

>Hugh Jackman got his dick suck by this
Must have been quite an experience.

really makes you think

Well visually the trailers look really good, however the story appears to be some sort of hodgepodge of SAC and the original 1995 animated film, so I'm not sure how that will turn out

>People who are mad about the actress not being Japanese are being stupid.

I'm mad because it's ScaJo

>Her brain is Japanese, she is a Japanese citizen, she has a Japanese name...etc.
>None of these are physical traits
>I don't understand the existential crisis that both Kusanagi and the Puppet Master go through as it relates to their physical form
Also Kusanagi's body has blue eyes
Also Megatech built Kusanagi's body and the Puppet Master's body who is blond

>Everything they told you was a lie

Thats just the failure of your brain suggesting you that she looks different than other asians when in reality you fail to see she also looks totally different than Americans or other foreigners.
I am stupid when its you sucking the dick of greedy, dumb and bad Hollywood producers? Go jump off a cliff.
If she literally can be any race why isn't she Japanese, because the Major obviously ALWAYS chooses and identifies with Japanese.
Or why isn't she black?
Why must the most boring and lamest Actress play that role, didn't they found anybody better?
Serious question: do you really think that the stupid director who made that fucking snow white and the huntsman movie is the perfect choice for directing this movie?
Would you be you satisfied with a dumbed down, mainstreamlined, PG13, generic action movie?

So she doesn't look like any specific race according to you, which means that no matter who played her some autistic nerd like yourself would rage about it anyway.

And stop assuming so much. No one is talking about anything besides the actress not being Japanese. I don't expect this movie to be anything but garbage but the ethnicity of the major's actress is the least of its problems.

You're just disassociated from reality from seeing too much CGI.

It doesn't help that the majority of this movie is computer generated or composited, and poorly at that.

>what is culture
Are you really that fucking dense?
She also has purple/pink and blue hair. I know a fuckton of white Europeans who are born with purple hair.
She also has red eyes sometimes depending on what adaptation you watch/read.

I hope to fucking god that some of the lines in the trailers are red herrings.

Ok fine lets leave it at that. I am getting emotional and triggered because the internet is full of assburgers and dimwits who pretend to be GitS fans when in reality they never heard of the franchise before that Scarjo debacle hit the media.
The fact that they choose her is the symptom of an underlying problem which runs much deeper than skin-deep ethnicity issues.

I don't know if you understood my post, I'm saying that for those reason it her being played by a Japanese actress because she has Japanese name is missing the point. ScarJo looks like her in the 1995 film so that's all that matters

ScarJo looks like bad cosplay in that role.
And she is not even 10% as interesting as that fictional character she is supposed to play.
I am sorry, but just because some Producer saw her in that "Lucy" film and thought it would match the script he had lying around doesn't make her a perfect fit for that role. That's just dumb.

>And she is not even 10% as interesting as that fictional character she is supposed to play.
Well first how do we even know this? We haven't seen play her play the role yet.

Also I think we are talking about two different things here. Your problem is with ScarJo specifically and maybe her costume design. Which is really neither here nor there to the point I am making. I am saying that saying Kusanagi's physical form must be Japanese is betraying the struggles that Kusanagi goes through as a character.

i know that because i've seen enough of ScarJos movies to come to the conclusion she is barely a mediocre actress.

Its kinda funny because Kusanagis body was always Japanese and nobody ever doubted this in the 30 years since the character was written. All it took was a bad Hollywood producer who is afraid to take risks and now hundred thousand of idiots jump into the defense and write essays about how its a good idea that Kusanagi should be played by an non-japanese actress.

>typo
should have written Kusanagi's ethnicity was always Japanese, as we all know her body is artificial.

The guy who wrote this wrote three of the Transformers movies.

Yep.

VII was a complete let down in my standards.

>and remembers the NES even though it didn't break the uk
What you talking about?
I had one.

Sasha Baron Cohen looks great in this

Stop praising names of companies. One day they'll suck and you'll be the fat kid who still tries to act like "muh Weta" is still good.

Is that dude supposed to be The Puppetmaster?
Why is he using a male body instead of a hacked female body?
I like the visuals of this, but the fucking story looks like a massive mess.

>Scarlett Johansson is a bad actress
Okay what the fuck ever dude not relevant to my point, are you a fucking weeaboo or something why the fuck are you assuming that any random Japanese actress is going to be better than Scarlett Johansson? is it just because she's Japanese? Would you rather Asa Akira play her? Ya'know despite the fact that she looks nothing fucking any Motoko Kusanagi but hey she has slanty eyes too!
>Kusanagi's ethnicity is japanese therefore her actress should be Japanese
Well congratulations you've the major theme of Ghost in the Shell

fanboys will see it because autism
normies will see it because scarjo

they just 3d print masks

Practical effects are easier to do in certain situations, and it's guaranteed to look real.

She can play cute girlfriends but she sucks at playing action roles.
Assuming much? I said nothing about a random japanese actress.
I am totally aware that there aren't much japanese-american in the moviebusiness except for maybe one or two, but this is totally Hollywoods fault, for not grooming talent.
Why don't they have these? Because they only cast the same already famous faces. Its a fucking vicious circle, but it is their fucking vicious circle and i don't accept any excuse to blame some unrelated factor.
If you asked me how to best make an adaption from Ghost in the shell, i would tell you to make A) an full CGI movie with the technology of Avatar or B) an mini tv series.
A dumbed down blockbuster movie for the wrong audience with a very basic story doesn't cut it. Its a waste of an perfect fine franchise.

They should have got Emma Stone, she already has portrayed an Asian. (This actually happened, the flick is called Aloha).

>tfw no aaron beck designing the weapons

hey wheres the other half?

ILM put shitloads of effort into wacraft and their designs were the only good part of the movie.
too bad it was absolute dogshit

Shit I didn't realise shills were going to try and shill this Jewish abomination and poor adaptation... alsoweta has dropped their standards this is fucking Netflix tier

Fanboys will see it multiple times despite their complaining. They are impossible to please anyway, so there is no real reason to cater to them.

Normies will show up for ScarJo in a skin-colored bodysuit

>Ghost in the Shell

using the shit cyborgs bodies from Ghost in the Shell 2
wrong and stupid move

I don't trust Hollywood when they go weeaboo.

Like why, just pick something else from Western fiction, instead.

Some things are best left alone in animation form than live action.

Fanboys don't give a shit that she isn't Japanese. Literally no one who cares about GitS complained about that. Only SJWs did.

Fanboys are just worried that they'll replace the philosophical aspects with a generic action film amnesia plot.

the teenage transformers audience and womyn who like to see girls kick butt

>2017
>no gun looks more futuristic than a gun designed in the 90s

just seems like some cash-grab crap cashing in on the name that is legendary amongst people who genuinely care about films.
Probably will just be a ploy to get people in the theater.
would rather see an adaptation of Jin-Roh, seems like a more feasible option considering that the scenes shown in GitS are on an enormous scale only capable in the medium of animation, rather than in obvious CGI.

More like
>Dumb cucks will boycott it because ScarJo isn't fucking Japanese
The Major's body in the 1995 movie is clearly European. Not that Scarlett was a good cast. Fanboys won't see it because Hollywood butchered the story entirely and are just trying to cash in on the name and superficially imitating some visuals.

I just want it to crash and burn. Let GitS rest in peace, it already shat the bed with Arise.

I actually would have preferred Stone but she probably wouldn't reduce herself to cyber capeshit.

I didn't know Michael "Fits on set" Plitt was in this as Kuze.

Will have to watch just for that.

The story is about living in an advanced Colonial Japan, which is related back to Colonial Hong Kong. It's asking a lot for a non-Japanese actress to convey this.

The biggest problem with a japanese actress is that she would not look like the Major nor could any hollywood jap actually carry the movie in the west.

I understand why they chose Scarjo eventhough I don't think she was a good fit for the role. The fact is that she did Lucy and has been in the marvel movies enough that they're marketing this movie to the same audience that go watch the comic book movies. And it will work.

Got to admit it looks really good.

And not in the generic capeshit way. Actually kino costumes and sets.

THE DUKE WILL DIE BEFORE THESE EYES AND HE'LL KNOW, HE'LL KNOW!! THAT IT WAS I!!! BARON, VLADIMIR HARKONNEN, WHO ENCOMPASSES HIS DOOM!!!

This, japanese characters in anime never have noses or jawlines like that. She's drawn as a typical foreigner.

Kek

>Japan spends 50 billion dollars on defence spending
youtu.be/y7okcXZdPfE

That and the movie is significantly more detailed and realistic than a typical anime, including other adaptations of GitS. She's got a caucasoid skull, double eyelids, a narrow face, a pronounced nasal bridge, and a pointed, narrow nose. Compare her to the asian female robots in the sequel.

Great job incorrectly generalising thousands of different art styles.

Looks like it'll be worth a pirate. Fuck anyone that supports this garbage

They should have made a Vampire Hunter D movie instead

I watched Innocence yesterday. It was pretty good, in some parts better than the first one. Batou going berserk on the Yakuza and the carnival and mindloop scenes in the chinese district were top tier. I don't remember really remember the philosophy from the first one, but the subject of Innocence, regarding the thought that humanity is just the result of molecules acting together in an energy efficient way and that any form of reason beyond self preservation is just an illusion, appeals to me. Of course all animes like this, who strive to be deep choose overly convoluted ways of presenting relatively clear cut questions, but that's just something you got to expect.

Just as the first one though it all came apart a bit at the end, but all in all a movie I'd recommend. Regarding the live action movie I might watch it somewhere down the line, but since it's just a retelling of the first it doesn't feel that interesting right now.

These robots where horribly ugly. One of my main complaints with Innocence actually. If the selling point was supposed to be maid/sexbot, why did they have tiny tits and cellulites?

Don't say that, they could be listening.

I'm surprised they haven't bothered with Blood the Last Vampire yet, even though they made a Kite movie.

>Major obviously ALWAYS chooses and identifies with Japanese.
that's factually wrong, at one point she's in the body of a male arab soldier in the manga :^)

they should have cast her as a mudslime man if they wanted to be truly progressive AND canon.

>Jin-Roh adaptation

Yeah i can really see Hollywood approving a film with profascist and nazi undertones.