What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_the_other_cheek
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

(((Jesus)))

Bump

Be an absolute pacifist.

Americans don't like this interpretation because it means you can't defend yourself, and exposes Christianity for the slave cuck religion it is.

>inb4 muh sell your cloak and buy a sword bullshit
>inb4 turning cheek was an insult back then

If someone strikes you in the face offer up your butt virginity to them as well?

>What did he mean by this?
If someone is going to insult you, don't let them grievously insult you.

Self defense and righteous wars are biblical of course.

/thread
same with the love your enemies shit. loving your enemies is some of the worst fucking advice possible for the real world.

Uh, it was about insults, not defending yourself from assault. Jesus totally supported defending oneself and one's people.

>Self defense and righteous wars are biblical of course.
Where did Jesus encourage or practice either of those things?

no, not really considering His Kingdom is not of this finite place. neither should your desires be.

Guess I didn't lay it on thick enough. I thought that post was dripping sarcasm.

Out of context quote.

rofl what a cuck

I read somewhere that you slapped people lower than you with the back of your hand, and by turning the other cheek, you were forcing them to slap you with the palm of their hand, demanding their respect. Dunno if it's true or not.

It's about being passive-aggressive. Show them the other cheek so that they feel like cunts.

He came to bring the sword, and that he told his followers that if they could only buy a cloak or a sword, they should choose the sword.

Violence and killing were not seen as a sin, as long as it was in defense (murder is), but that also you should not take slights and chimp out, like a muslim would conversely do.

This is true, and it brings you on even ground, as being backhanded was considered a pretty bad slight meant to make it seem like you're lower.

i missed it. i was convinced.

Is Walter Twink's interpretation reasonable, or is it just an asspull?

>Nonviolent resistance interpretation
>The scholar Walter Wink, in his book Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination, interprets the passage as ways to subvert the power structures of the time.[2] He says that at the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. An alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was demanding equality.

>Wink continues with an interpretation of handing over one's cloak in addition to one's tunic. The debtor has given the shirt off his back, a situation forbidden by Hebrew law as stated in Deuteronomy (24:10–13). By giving the lender the cloak as well the debtor was reduced to nakedness. He notes that public nudity was viewed as bringing shame on the viewer, not just the naked, as seen in Noah's case (Genesis 9:20–23).

>Wink interprets the succeeding verse from the Sermon on the Mount as a method for making the oppressor break the law. The commonly invoked Roman law of Angaria allowed the Roman authorities to demand that inhabitants of occupied territories carry messages and equipment the distance of one mile post, but prohibited forcing an individual to go further than a single mile, at the risk of suffering disciplinary actions.[3] In this example, the nonviolent interpretation sees Jesus as placing criticism on an unjust and hated Roman law as well as clarifying the teaching to extend beyond Jewish law.[4]

>If you kill your enemies, they win

What's going on with all of this fedoras who never read the Bible?

>muh Jesus and christianity is for cucks
Nice to know that Atheist still believe this because they most Atheist countries (Sweden and Canada) are going fantastic.

Christianity presupposes that people are immortal beings created by an all powerful creator. From such a perspective death is a natural, unavoidable, and mostly insignificant step on your way to salvation.

Makes perfect sense to me.

That revenge is pointless.

Stand your ground.

And yet when his disciple used the sword, he chided him and told him to put it away.

It isn't true, it's a ridiculous ex post facto rationalization. Do you seriously believe people 2000 years ago thought it was a sign of respect when someone came up and slapped you across the face with an open hand? In literally no culture in the history of the planet was this true.

No, these are quite reasonable, Japan. A lot of who Jesus railed against were the uber jews.

You love and pray for your enemies in that they turn away from their wickedness, not this kumbaya crap.

Don't get butthurt like a faggot.

He told them to put the sword away, because Jesus was meant to be killed, and didn't want further bloodshed.

No, you're the one that's wrong due to gross misunderstanding.

Let him slap you on the other because you're a tough mother fucker when you follow jesus.

Then you break him in half for slapping you twice.

He told him to put the sword away because the plan was to get crucified, not start shit.

Matthew 10:34 boys.

This.

Would it not be great if evil people in your life realized their wrongs, did what they could to set it right, and became good? This is what we mean.

Already pointed that out, though I forgot which part of Matthew

if someone hits on you, offer them buttsecks.

>I'm an atheist and think the bible is trash and that's one of the few common fedora passages I always defend or refrain from using. Read it in context there is no reasonable interpretation except that he is saying that his coming is going to cause violence against his followers, not that he is advocating using violence or swords.

>Jesus was meant to be killed
What was that you were saying about it not being a cuck religion? Jesus died like a dog, and kept parroting the same shit the Jews did; >you may have won now but muh God will reward me in the long run.

>misunderstanding
I understand quite well that Jesus advocated against retributive justice (eg. "eye for an eye", "love thine enemy", etc.). Fighting back is an unchristian thing. Fuck off, christcuck.

Didn't mean to green text that

Slave Morality

Damn I hear a lot of gnashing of teeth.

Christianity led to communism. For all good associated with it, it is cucked.

If a little blood has to be shed to preserve Christian values in times of peace.

Then so be it.

The tree of liberty must be watered with blood and so shall these other principles that we hold dear to one another.

It means what it means. It is an english phrase.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_the_other_cheek

Marx wasn't a Christian, and nor were those who kept pushing communism. They were jews, not Christians.

In ancient Israel there were 2 customs that tie into this:

1. You use your left hand for dirty tasks (like wiping your butt). It was a major faux-pas to touch another person's face with your left hand. It simply wasn't acceptable.

2. If someone was lower status or same status as you, it was permissable to slap them if they insulted you. If they were lower class, you backhand them to put them back in their place. If they were same class, you openhand them as a more mild rebuke.

If someone backhanded you, and you offered the other cheek, you would have to openhand slap it if you wanted to slap him again.

So in summary: when someone calls you beneath them, demand equality. This was the message.

I like this interpretation.

Christianity wants everybody to be like brothers.
Communism wants everybody to be like children.

Every high IQ country is not very religious, that includes most asian countries

Don't fight over insults

The most culturally Marxist that's for sure

Obviously the first documented cuckold.

Also this.

Nah Marxism has atheism as a precondition, Christ requires belief in God

Once there is no religion to be imposed, people look for other forms of adoration and superstition, like communism.

Or religion went by the wayside because Marxist and liberals run the public schools

>he is saying that his coming is going to cause violence against his followers
Exactly this. Here's the verses after the "I've come to bring a sword line".
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
Basically a lot of this chapter is "I know I'm telling you to be insufferable dipwads and that's going to get you fucked up".

Christianity may die but that doesn't mean people will become skeptical about everything, most people, especially women, are really easy to fool into believing in bullshit, religion still exists, even among a lot of "atheists"

It's bullshit. The passage is extremely clear, some people just do as many mental gymnastics as possible to try to get around following teachings they don't want to follow.

And verse 39 especially fucks the idea that Jesus is okay with you defending yourself.

I read an opinion that 'turn the other cheek' means basically 'U WOT M8 ERE AV A GO AHEAD YA CUNT'

t. Banana Man

Christianity won't die, it has survived much worse conditions than this

You don't understand the whole point of the sermon on the mount
I guess you also believe we should poke our eyes out and cut off our hands if it causes us to sin.

Giving a bible study to a nonbeliever is just like casting your pearls before swine

I'm not an atheist. It's very clear what the passage means. If you can actually delude yourself into believing Walter Wink's ridiculous twisted reinterpretation you're basically calling Jesus an idiot for having a teaching most people would misunderstand over a lack of obscure cultural context from his time period. In contrast, if you accept it the way it obvious is meant to be read, it's a powerful teaching about not letting yourself get caught up in unfruitful desires for retaliation.

didn't mean to reply to u, meant for this guy

first post best post

Hey when you fix your feminist problem in your country, we can have a discussion about Christ you leaf

Here's the thing about Christianity.

You had to kill some dudes in your life? Didn't feel like turning your cheek when someone had a knife pointed at you?
No problem, as long as you repent and feel truly sorry before your life ends, you can gain passage into heaven.

And BAM, all the cuck shit you can leave to betas. Jesus died for your sins so can be redeemed before you pass. People forget this and think they have to live their lives as pacifists always.

Death bed conversions are not the optimal way to become a Christian

>You don't understand the whole point of the sermon on the mount
Then what is the point? Don't just say I have wrong and not explain what is right.
>Giving a bible study to a nonbeliever is just like casting your pearls before swine
Do you think I didn't used to be a believer?

Well, it would be a good idea to repent before you end up on your death bed. I said "before your life ends" not "right before"

meant for

1 John 2:19
Probably false conversion

>Death bed conversions are not the optimal way to become a Christian
But they're valid, Christ himself accepted a mid-execution conversion. And that's what really matters, innit?

I say today is the day of salvation, tomorrow isn't garunteed

>No problem, as long as you repent and feel truly sorry before your life ends, you can gain passage into heaven.
>And BAM, all the cuck shit you can leave to betas.

If you think like that you're probably not going to feel truly sorry later in life. By analogy, imagine you have a room that's piling up with trash because you keep putting off cleaning it until later, reasoning you don't have to clean it every day, just once before the state does their building inspection later that year. But then the day of the inspection comes and you never cleaned it because you allowed a bad habit to take hold and grow to the point where you weren't able to undo it later on. Sin is like that, if you put off dealing with it to some future date so you can live like an asshole until then, you're basically nurturing the seeds of your spiritual ruin. There's always hope people can change, but you need to put in some effort to have a decent chance at getting to change for the better.

True, but if your hit by a car or shot in the head, your kinda screwed

>Probably false conversion
I didn't convert into it, I was raised in it.

If you can't feel truly sorry then that's on you.

Oh yeah let's not forget Romans 13 in which you are basically told to follow the secular government wherever you are.

Which I suppose means obeying Obama.

You love your enemy as you beat them to death.

If you actually felt sorry you wouldn't be able to defer feeling sorry for fifty years later in life.

>he thinks that God is a complete fucking moron >God's just going to sit back and watch as you live your whole life being a complete asshole while thinking, "lol I'll just repent before I die"
>implying he's just going to shrug and say, "Well, I guess user figured it out and beat the system, gotta let him into heaven!" and not just send a bus to run your ass over and drop you straight into hell

That's not true.

>as long as you repent and feel truly sorry before your life ends

If I'm in that extreme of a situation, I doubt I would ever feel truly sorry.

How many people here would truly feel sorry for shooting a nignog in the face when he was about to kill you or a loved one?

be a cuck.
be cattle.

Okay then you were never saved

You need to put your trust in Christ

If you really want to know:

Outside of a fistfight, there are two ways to hit someone: with an open hand (slap) or with the back of your hand (backhand). You backhand someone who is below you. You slap someone who is your social equal.

If someone hits your right cheek, that means they backhanded you.

So if, in response, you turn to them your left cheek, you are telling them that you are their equal and you should be slapped like an equal. In that society, it was a way of shaming the person who slapped you, without escalating the violence.

Same with walking the second mile. A soldier could not force a civilian to carry his gear for more than one mile. So by doing so willingly, you force the soldier into the humiliating position of begging you to stop.

And by giving both your cloak and tunic to someone whom you owe, you shame them by stripping naked and letting them take everything from you.

Jesus was being quite subversive here, but of course you faggots have no idea.

he forgot the echos
(((him)))
(((the bible)))

Oi, turning the other cheek doesn't mean spreadin' yer asscheeks

This is the first time I've ever seen a good post from a mobileposting redditfrogposter

He meant JEWS ARE GOOD BOIS WHO DINDU NUFFIN, ESPECIALLY ME, AND ALL THOSE STORIES YOU HEARD ABOUT ME LEADING A REVOLT IN JUDEA AND JEWS WORSHIPING ME FOR IT ARE LIES. ALSO BE VERY PASSIVE GOOD GOYS BECAUSE THATS GOOD FOR JEWS.

Who are you quoting

Or is that a reddit-tier strawman