How did you learn English?

How did you guys learn English? Almost all the EU posters have near perfect written ability. What did you guys do, just shit post and basically learn?

I've been trying to pick back up Cantonese, i used to be able to speak it as a child since my grandmother would always speak it to me.
My parents started to not let her speak to me in Cantonese from about 4 years old since they thought it would interfere with my English and sure enough i forgot it. Trying to get it back, but i barely remember. There are some videos of me speaking it to a 4yo's level of fluency.

It's really weird.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis
youtube.com/watch?v=TOlJjBG38OM
youtube.com/watch?v=lnnREr8BV24
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Listening to it

By not going complete burg- Oh pardon I mean retards

BBC

shut up with that asian monkey crap, you american now boy

it's a shame jackie chan turned out to be a giant douchebag

Explain further?

>listen to music
>watch movies / cartoons
>play video games
>use the internet
also we were thought in school

some of us also had private lessons as kids

Don't make fun of me

Memes aside this. I leatnt the basics at school but the internet taught me most things

>internet
What happened when you didn't know a word? Just look it up? That is what i am doing in Cantonese.

YOU AMERICAN NOW BOY CRYING IS FOR FAGGOTS GO SHOOT YER GUNS

also for the westerners english already has basically the same alphabet and shares a lot of common words / roots

would not be quite the same with learning an asian language (though i'm trying to teach myself japanese)

OP, most of their world is english, they are constantly exposed to it, immersed in it, reborn in it

you need only do the same if you want to grasp a language, although that might be hard with asian languages since they use bass ackwards iconography in their scripts

Most Polish anons probably don't know about this because they are kids/young adults but when we got Cartoon Network in Poland it was all in English for a couple of years, it was pretty helpful.
I had Russian in elementary school but in high school English classes were introduced.
My English isn't perfect but it's not horrible I hope.

Dictionaries.

had it in school since 3rd grade but i didn't become fluent until i watched english movies and wrote english on the internet

you can't just pick a book in a foreign language and read it. try using google translate i guess, and start with something easier if you want to learn like this
(read kids books, talk to people who know you're still learning, etc)

>when we got Cartoon Network in Poland it was all in English
this. jetix as well

learned some basics at school (really shitty basics though), then watched many videos on YT because french YT was terrible (and still is), then started shitposting here
wtf i'm fluent now

Runescape

Literally 90% of the media here is in English. Also schools start to teach English at the third grade

>just shit post and basically learn?
Yes. Try it.

English is not important for my life.

So, basically you're proving that the Comprehensive Input theory is real and exists.

>>listen to music
>>watch movies / cartoons
never helped anyone lmao
YT videos helped me more than series because they mumble less or use a more basic vocabulary
after that yes you can go watch series
watching them first with subtitles in the language you're learning is really useful though

>vidya
never helped anyone

Movies and such don't get translated but have subtitles, I also learned allot from Youtube and other parts of the internet.

what is that

I also forgot to mention that everytime I didn't know a word I used google translate. I've often found myself translating the word like 5 times a week and then I remember it. Really useful
i still have google translate as my first favorite on chrome

Do we speak shitty English?

Effectiveness of different learning exercises imo:
>School
15%
>Listening to Music
10%
>Watching movies in English with subs
20%
>Playing videogames in English
40%
>Shitposting here
100%

jesus your english is literally perfect, it flows well, my foreign langauge skills are complete shit.
lmfao this is how i learned to type except minecraft
no you literally sound likes anglos and almost never have spelling mistakes

It's good to know that I have maybe helped someone improve themselves. I am happy to provide material for study!

you were never given instruction in typing in school?

what the hell are they teaching kids these days?

for God's sake, we've had typewriters for over a hundred years already, and the computer is just the continuation of that skill

Immersion is key.

Why are anglos so bad at learning other languages?

speaking the lingua franca makes it harder for them to adapt or something
just a guess

wow gee thanks

i did and i failed desu i learned to type really fast and not look from minecraft
we live in a monolingual society; it's also not easy to be immersed like in europe. i took 4 years of japanese in highschool (still can remember hirigana after not studying for 3 years) and I am now three semesters into arabic, garbage at both.
i wish i could be better :( no one in /MeNa/ replies to my shitty modern standard arabic.

How do you guys learn with vidyas? It never helped me and I played two GTA

That's because no one on MeNa is from MeNa. Everyome there is a gay western arabophile

My grandpa's ghost whispered me to learn English and fight Americans

vidya games and shitposting

well when they go on the internet they don't have to learn a language to go on the most populated parts of the internet, have access to the most informations or speak with people around the world, because they already know the language for that, everybody learn for them...

runescape, then WoW and then Sup Forums

>t. turk
besides me only one chink from hong kong, the rest are all d*aspora

>My parents started to not let her speak to me in Cantonese from about 4 years old since they thought it would interfere with my English
wtf man... that's just horrible

Well we learn in in school from young age, and most pop-culture is in English, so it comes naturally. I also like to read books in English, particullary old ones.

What kind if youtube videos did you guys watch?

why do you guys keep asking the same dumb questions over and over again. take a guess

Your english is really good!

None, youtube wasn't all that well-known in my youth

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis

thank you

i remember watching a lot of smosh
then pewdiepie, sodapoppin and other wow players like swifty
before smosh i don't remember which one, but i remember watching videos in english
it's funny because at first it wasn't with the intention of learning, i just did because i enjoyed watching their stuff
you don't know how shitty and childish french yt is

And learning cantonese would be hard i could imagine, there is so many different sounds, seven i think. Have you read the "Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den"? See picture.

I think Drunken Master was Jackie Chan's opus, what do you think? What is his best film in your own opinion?

well my mom went from knowing nothing about german to not remembering how to speak french after 3 years working in germany so i guess that confirms it, if i actually understood what it was about...

Facts about IRL:
- only a tiny minority of Europeans are really fluent in English (nordics may be an exception not sure)
- nobody in Europe speaks any other foreign language other than maybe their closest neighbors/ethnically related cunts and naturally bilingual/trilingual cunts

what you observe here is an echo chamber that is not representative of their respective cunts at all

12 years of english at school and 3 and a half years of private education. Video Games, comics, books, internet, movies/TV Shows, my gf is japanese so we speak in english because my japanese is not good enough and she can barely speak spanish.

Mainly by playing games

The use of Characters help there. That is why, after finishing RTH (Remembering the Hanzi; traditional edition) i can read a lot of articles but cannot actually pronounce them.

It's like if you see the Hanzi for "Small" + "School" + "Place" (Elementary School). You'd understand the meaning without being able to pronounce it.

Look at the description box of this video. youtube.com/watch?v=TOlJjBG38OM
Nippontelrvisonnews24 is one of major TV media company in Japan.
They hire person not only who don't write English properly, but also basic knowledge of common sense.

> I will learn ????
> calling our princess with English sound
> arrive at Heathrow Airport in the U.S

Oh yes, i see where you are getting. I tried learning Mandarin for a year, and at one point i could maybe remember 50 characters. It is hard, but there is certainly a system, very intricate, but there is. Maybe it is easier to learn speaking if you live together with Cantonese speakers, try find a girl ;)

like this
youtube.com/watch?v=lnnREr8BV24

nordics are really good in english.

>what you observe here is an echo chamber that is not representative of their respective cunts at all
exactly. I don't know a lot of people who's english skills go further than "Ryan is in the kitchen" and "Where is my umbrella"

That is quite confusing, is this someone of importance?

I can speak fluently american, but i could choose to speak british if i wanted too.

i read stuff in english
i especially like their poetry:

>I hate the dreadful hollow behind the little wood,
>Its lips in the field above are dabbled with blood-red heath,
>The red-ribb'd ledges drip with a silent horror of blood...

desu i need some listening comprehension and spoken practice, my acceeent is probably thick. btw the russian pronunciation of english is the easiest to recognize to me, ror

a pretty weird story that they allowed him to shoot lions in the market

I think that living in a stone house is his mentality, when his house dripped of water, he began to clear up and realized the truth, that he was deluded.

It's called having Chinese parents.

Learning English is mandatory from a young age in pretty much every country on earth, English-language media is pervasive and popular, and significant for sites like these, you have the availability heuristic - people who have shitty English are less likely to post on an English-language site like Sup Forums.