When was the last time the Oscars gave Best Picture to a film the plebeians enjoyed?

When was the last time the Oscars gave Best Picture to a film the plebeians enjoyed?

Did Silence of the Lambs win?

Gladiator

Moonlight

Argo in 2012? Slumdog Millionaire in 2008? No Country for Old Men in 2007? The Departed in 2006?

yeah, 1991

it beat out beauty and the beast (only time an animated film was nominated for best picture), JFK, Bugsy, and the prince of tides.

The King's Speech

>only time an animated film was nominated for best picture

*first time

Slumdog got big after it won

Slumdog had made 98 million in the US by the time it won.

probably lord of the rings

not anything in the 2010s

Argo, The Hurt Locker, The Departed, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator

Thought I remembered a story about how it made more after the oscars than any other best picture winner. Might be misremembering

when else?

pretty sure that was the hurt locker

Gladiator ( The best movie ever made )

Maybe it did. It made 43 million after winning BP.

muh incest detected

Remember when Shakespeare in Love won? What a bizarrely honest year that was

Remember 2005 when Crash won best picture and the front page of Variety the next day had a quote from the writer of Brokeback Mountain saying "Crash is Trash".

what would you say was the worst best picture decision in oscar history?

I'd have to go with 1964, My Fair Lady over Dr. Strangelove, Becket, Mary Poppins, and Zorba the Greek. All of those other nominees are way better.

Titanic made like 110 mil after it won best picture

Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, and Quiz Show.

>No Country for Old Men in 2007
>Won over There Will be Blood
Was really upset with that and The Assassination of Jesse James not getting a best picture nomination. 2007 had so many good movies.

>Forrest Gump
I think that might be my dad's most hated movie. He went off on a rant about it not long ago about how they portray everyone who fought in Vietnam as a saint and everyone who was against the war as an abusive asshole. And the way it presents the spirit of America as simplicity.

>Was really upset with that and The Assassination of Jesse James not getting a best picture nomination
how else do you expect them to make room for Juno

Also I think No Country was a better movie than There Will be Blood. Don't get me wrong they're both great but I watched Blood not long ago and I had forgotten how extremely ill fitting its soundtrack is. Throughout the entire movie there's this annoying TENSION music even when nothing bad is happening just to make sure you don't forget that THIS IS ALL BAD AND EVIL! I really disliked that. Daniel Day Lewis' acting is quite fantastic in it though.

>Slumdog Millionaire in 2008
>Lord of the Rings, Gladiator
Plebs, get off my board

Reading is hard

t. Ralphie

you first

Kramer vs. Kramer over Apocalypse Now and All That Jazz
Ordinary People over Raging Bull and The Elephant Man

> 2017

Moonlight

yeah kramer vs. kramer is a pretty crap movie

one that really pisses me off is 1939, gone with the wind over Ninotchka, of mice and men, stagecoach, and wizard of oz. Fucking hate that movie, I can't understand why it was such a sensation. The rest are some of my favorites though, Ninotchka is fantastic.

>TENSION music
It was one of the things I liked. From the opening shot it does lay it on pretty thick though. And Juno/Michael Clayton overall the most forgettable movies that was for whatever reason even looked at for best picture.

they did both have a lot of buzz that year (for whatever reason) while Jesse James was mostly under the radar iirc

I liked James but I remember thinking that it wasn't able to justify its run time, and the opening scene was the best part

Up and Toy Story 3

oh shit you're right, and two overly nostalgic pieces of crap as well what a shame