Poor little fellow, he's only a Harvard grad, youngest best director ever, banging a 10/10 and worth $65 million at 32...

Poor little fellow, he's only a Harvard grad, youngest best director ever, banging a 10/10 and worth $65 million at 32... life is unfair
youtube.com/watch?v=TXZok4EWNeg

Stop shitposting and follow your dreams

>if i can have rich parents and get into harvard, anyone can!
kys

How well connected is this faggot? Fucking 32? Jesus

Watching*

what did he mean by this?

His mommy and daddy are professors

>banging a 10/10

she is a 6/10 at best. get some taste pleb

>its a minorities equate privilege with success episode
are you black perchance?

Good for him. He's taking full advantage of his opportunities and creating things that people enjoy, and hopefully inspiring others to do so.

At least he's making good movies

He could be phoning it in.

I think he's aware of how much a talentless hack he really is

Werent some mexicans winning the oscars back to back for a couple years

How in the hell is this twerp worth $65 million?

You're delusional if you think Hollywood is in any way meritocratic.

Good contract, high box office

Whiplash was great but does he deserve all this success? People wait their entire lives for their shot. And he's getting one after another.

literally says have mercy on me

>yeah! he's a hack lmao
you wouldn't be able to create something like he did even in your wildest dream, keep shitposting and living the basement life

I'd like to see him direct stuff that isn't jazz/music related. He was the first writer for 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Because he's good

Yeah I'm excited for whatever he's moves on to next. Hopefully the subject matter isn't something where people can meme DISHONEST at and they're forced to actually say something about the movie

la la land sucked and any high school drama queen couldve dreamt up that rehashed schlock

>oh oh member singing in the rain!
>yea i member!

well nobody did, but keep believing in your delusions
who else /lazybutsmart/ here, right?
you're a waste of air

>any high school drama queen couldve dreamt up that rehashed schlock
If this was true, then anyone would be a director

singing in the rain was...what...seventy years ago?

There are better scripts more original scripts out there than La La Land. I will not doubt his skills as he wrote Whiplash. But it was obvious that the story in La La Land came secondary to the music and visuals. That was why it didn't win the Oscar for most original screenplay

Becoming a director in his position requires a lot of skill. But Hollywood isn't a meritocracy. A great director may have to struggle to get to his same position. He's been given a lot of opportunities. And done the most with them.

The writing was still on-par with the best and most classic films, just because it lost to a better written film which Manchester was doesn't mean it wasn't the best overall produced and directed. La La Land was still better written than Moonlight so off of just that it should have won Best Picture

I disagree entirely. The themes and characters in La La Land were very one-dimensional. The scenes were right but it wasn't an all time classical story. It was not on par with his prior film Whiplash. That asked questions about determination, being great, and sacrificing

This was just celebration of Hollywood's past and trying to make it. The romance was cliche albeit there was a touch of reality in the end. But nothing noteworthy. It wasn't the best overall story. Definitely a step down from Whiplash.

>one-dimensional
If you actually listen to interviews you'd see the film is about everyday struggles in relationships where people have to sacrifice time with their loved one to pursue their job. I'm sorry this wasn't political enough for you. The celebration of Hollywood's past is just a bonus because he was trying to do a modern take on classical musicals.

>youngest best director/writer/actor ever

Wait that's not Shane Carruth in pic related...fuck off with your bait thread pleb.

He already covered that in Whiplash.

I haven't done anything with my life.

the writing was bad and on par with commercial novels that people forget about a week after reading

So? La La Land won the most important Awards when it comes to filmmaking. Production Design. Cinematography and Directing. They lost writing to a better written film.
Because they tried to make real situations fantastical thus feeding the Fairy Tale aspect of the relationship

It's surely better than anything I could write by myself

the romance part was just tacked on to give the audience a distraction. there was no real conflict which is the only point of making a movie. nothing about the movie is realistic. it only works as a satire of what people idealize success to be like in contrast to reality, but it obviously wasn't meant as a satire.

the only way to interpret any conflict was that the girl was lonely when he was away, but she never says that. the whole fight makes no sense. it's really stupid how they represent the female character so unrealistically.

This feel, fug

>Film is called La La Land for no reason, bro, doesn't even feed into the theme
Sure, buddy

Yeah, this is the only reasonable take. I liked La La Land less than most people seem to, and I didn't want it to win any major awards last night, but he's pretty undeniably skilled as a director. He's going to be around for a long time, and he's probably going to make some good shit. I do suggest that he lets someone else write his next screenplay though, as I think he's lacking in that department.

did you know la la land is a nickname for la? fucking retard.

tell me what this movie is about.

>Doesn't know what a double entendre is
Are you retarded?

no, they didn't try to make it fantastical, they tried to make it realistic. that's why they had a fight in their living room during dinner, like real people. except they were having a fight for no reason. there's no reason for the audience to sympathize with the characters.

you're seriously retarded no wonder this movie was good in your opinion, you have no critical thinking ability.

I liked it less than most people seem to and I know this thread isn't about the Oscars but it shouldn't have lost to that shitty Coonlight film

I'm talking strictly the writing of the script. I take nothing away from the visuals and music. They elevated the story. He's a good director. But the story itself was shallow. I hope he doesn't continue this trend of writing stories about music and aspiration. I think he needs to do a period piece otherwise he'll become a one trick pony with MUH JAZZ and MUH ASPIRATIONS

He needs to branch out for his next script. Both of these stories took from his own personal life experience. Unfortunately for him, he's only 32 and very successful. Thus It may be hard for him to pull from personal experience again for a third cinematic worthy story. When you're the youngest director ever to win an Oscar, can you dig deep and write about a true conflict again?

>No critical thinking ability after i just demonstrated critical thinking
Yes, they did try to make a realistic situation fantastical

>la la land speech mentions "blue eyed wife"

>SJWs fake the winner

no you didn't demonstrate critical thinking. somehow you think having music in the middle of a movie makes it a fantasy movie. you have no clue what you're talking about.

The story of Hollywood and Jazz was securely in the foreground though. The pacing was brilliant, much like a jazz composition, very forward moving but consequently the character development and subsequent emotional attachment wasn't really there for the final act. They finally declared their love for each other as they parted ways for their own careers - for Mia it was a couple months producing and 4 months in Paris and Goose touring/recording for another 6 months tops, I doubt he wouldn't get any sort free time between albums and touring, even on the strictest studio contract. Secondly, serious couples work this shit out. Suddenly we get 5 YEARS LATER and we're expected to believe these true lovers didn't keep in touch with cell phones(they never called each other once in the film), email, happenstance encounters(like the rest of the movie) and they just went their separate ways even though Mia makes it is a big deal movie star(largely in part bc Seb) and Seb being a part of a popular music group and opening his own club and all while they're living in the same city??? Or even consider just pumping the breaks from their relationship for 4-12 months while they figure it out and make it? It's flawed plot angles like this that push the overall theme and emotional ending the viewers were supposed to be invested in when their separation suggests it wasn't that all serious/fling and not true love at all.

What the fuck are you talking about? I didn't mean it was a fantasy film, I said they tried to make a realistic situation into a fantastical romance. I don't mean "They tried to make a realistic situation a fantasy film"

YOU need to demonstrate critical thinking

name one more inauthentic and dishonest garbageman

hard mode: no villeneuve

It was the conflict of choosing to give your all to a relationship or your career. It happens. Sometimes people don't hit up people after they break up because they want to avoid them on purpose, it happens.

christ you fucking suck. this is why nobody on Sup Forums is an actual critic

>TRASHMAN
KEK I remember when he called Steve Monkeen that

Not an argument.

>$65 million

So had lot of points in his low budgets films I'm guessing?

Pretty much. I don't think i've ever seen a director be carried by their cinematographer, production designer, editor, etc. quite like he has. Take a look at Whiplash, Cloverfield Lane, and La La Land and the only thing in common you'll find is bad writing.

But she didn't give it her all for too long, maybe just her first project that made her a star. Mia married some clown businessesman, much like her first bf, and got knocked up. Goose however, was in it to win it. Like I said, I completely understand where they went with the story, but the underdevelopment, pace and plot inconsistencies didn't help it. I think if it wss fleshed out in a more creative script, the payoff and meaning could have been brilliant.

Most of the minorities who won awards, specifically the hispanics, are just rich privileged kids. Its funny how people fall for their "oppressed" bullshit.

Miranda of Hamilton is the worst about this also.

Did he have a seizure midway through? Started speaking in gibberish.

thanks man...

fuck off reddit

he's making a movie on neil armstrong, thats about as far from jazz/music you can go

They never have enough. I worked with them, and Hollywood people are always bitching about their "shitty" life.