Why in fuck do Normies pretend they've always been massive fans of shitty geek culture shit now?

Why in fuck do Normies pretend they've always been massive fans of shitty geek culture shit now?

When I was in school, I was pretty much a uber-dweeb, spent my entire time reading Manga, playing Vidya, collecting Warhammer and engaging in System Wars bullshit. You didn't get much more nerdy than me. But even back then Comic books were a niche thing among even "geek" circles I rolled in because basically, everyone agreed outside of Manga and some graphic novels, comics were fucking shit and Capeshit was irredeemably shit.

I entered High School at the tail end of the Pokemon craze, in 1999, and by 2001 easily nobody gave a shit about Pokemon. Hell even when the Pokemon craze was big, it was still probably only three or four kids out of 10 that was into it. I still remember in Primary School the Pokemon Cards and Red and Blue and not actually that many people had the games.

So when Pokemon Go comes out and all the fucking Normies, many of which I went to school with on my facebook start going "OMG I ALWAYS LOVED POKEMON" I'm like "What the fuck, none of you fucking did". Why in fuck are they pretending they were massive Pokemon fans when I knew them as kids and they weren't and I've never seen them post about Pokemon until Pokemon Go?

Why in fuck do people pretend they like Comic Books now? I remember it wasn't that long ago when Comic Book stores were like fucking opium dens with some weirdo masturbating in the back and the store blatantly being a front for drugs.

The only thing I can think of is that it's because of the success of largely Iron Man and Capeshit at the cinema. I can distinctly remember for me at least, Comic book stores goes from dingy crack dens to actually brightly lit, properly staffed, retail stores after the success of Iron Man.

But I still don't really understand it? What compels Normies to pretend they were ever a part of any of this culture or that they know shit about it?

>When I was in school, I was pretty much a uber-dweeb,
you still are

Thread hidden

I reckon it's just the easiest way of trying to justify liking this shit. So they feel they cann pull the nostalgia card or whatever. In any case, they're ultimately just plebs.

Don't know myself.

I've never actually read a comic myself, but I doubt they are like the movies with bad rapid-fire quips and an inability to focus on something for 5 seconds.

Trying so hard to belong a subculture is always distasteful to me. Stop whipping out your geek dick I didn't care at all before but now I don't like you.

Oh you're so much better than them for liking capeshit for longer

Corporate marketing has finally figured out how to make their consumer base jump from one fad to another.
Throw some money towards MSM, some to youtube/twitch e-celebs, some to twitter trolls with big following and voila! The rest is easily taken care of by peer pressure.

Uhh

>everyone agreed outside of Manga and some graphic novels, comics were fucking shit and Capeshit was irredeemably shit.

Either way I'm not trying to brag about being "such a geek". It's more I'm trying to understand why people in their late 20s and early 30s, are drowning themselves in these subcultures that are largely aimed at children. Also I just don't understand the whole 90s nostalgia shit.

>Be at house party
>Hear girls say "Omg I am such a big fan of Sailor Moon, I always loved it, such a good girl power show!"
>In my head "fuck yeah, I can finally use this mahou shojo knowledge to interact with other humans"
>Introduce myself, start talking about Sailor Moon
>Realize very quickly none of them actually ever watched Sailor moon and were just bullshitting because "SUCH A 90S KID" bullshit
>Tricked into fully revealing my power level in public

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

heres what happened. people,like you actually never bothered with taking care of your healtg or anything so you were a fat nerd nobody wanted to be around. the 'cool' kids picked on people like you so all the average, loners, not cool but not lames, distance themselves while they worked on things that are socially acceptable. now that star wars/pokemon is here for good and its showing that fans ended up graduating college and getting good jobs and lift and shit they are more shameless about it

t. normie who bought his first comic books that happen to be the star wars darth maul comics this month

haha us nerd man :^)

oh and like the user below me said, youre treat nerd culture as something thats monolithic. ive been into star wars, mario, pokemon, zelda my whole life yet i dont give a fuck about final fantasy, metroid prime, or anime of any sort.

>When I was in school, I was pretty much a uber-dweeb, spent my entire time reading Manga, playing Vidya, collecting Warhammer and engaging in System Wars bullshit. You didn't get much more nerdy than me.
I hope to Christ you didn't type that out with the intention of it not being cringeworthy

>>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
>- Alec Guinness

BTFO

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
>- Alan Moore
Alan Moore knows the score.

I typed it out precicely with the intention of being cringy.

I was trying to get across what a fucking piece of shit loser I was.

>>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
>- Alejandro Jodorowsky

I always love the end of that quote.

>>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
>- Alejandro Iñárritu
>
>>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
>- Alejandro Jodorowsky

Is it a requirement to be edge when you named Alejandro?

it's a generation of perpetual kids, so they pretend to ironically like thinks they should have liked as children.

They spent their youth getting tattoos, having unprotected sex, and getting a worthless arts degree. Now they are 25 something year olds with:

>no kids
>no stable relationships
>many health problems
>no money or career, dead end jobs

So they pretend that they are just doing all of this by choice, and they love video games (they are awful at actual games), and wow cool aren't these products we all want to buy because it's so hip.

Actual young kids are off in a separate culture of their own, they are programming, getting into engineering and hobbies that were nerd only hobbies (kit construction, learning instruments, camping and self-reliance skills, religion and church).

So rather than work hard at getting money from this audience, developers and studios just milk the older poorer dumber generation, and even kids movies now like zootopia which won an oscar, was basically aimed at a 27 year old white woman who dies her hair pink.

Remember you call them normies, but they see themselves as edgy and cool. They are in fact the eternal loser of globalization, not taking the opportunity to develop the skills for international business or going into STEM they have frittered away their youth and are now living with their parents, into their 30s, pretending like it's normal to behave like a 15 year old.

This is exactly what happened to the generation that fought in WW2 btw, families unable to recover after WW1 and serious economic depression for more than a decade, children who were born in the 1920s were completely directionless and slaughtered like pigs when the fighting began.

Same type of sexual promiscuity, lack of morals, increase in drug use (opium/heroin/cocaine/alcohol). Teleport yourself to any major American city or European capital in the late 1920s and it's a mirror to today.

i don't know man, people have always loved hero myths going all the way back to ancient times.

although i think the comics code is what cemented all comics and capeshit as children's stories

The Simon Pegg quote always annoys me a bit because he specifically built an entire career out of appealing to "nerd culture" and being involved in numerous projects that are designed to evoke nostalgia in the consumer. Dunno how oblivious he is to not consider himself part of the problem.

Marketing tactics change in the late 1980s-1990s aimed at kids that instead of trying to sell you just the product, they tried to sell an identity.

Thus ever since the late 1980s/1990s you had entire genres of kids that have basically been marketed to tie their individual self to brands. Good example of an early version of this marketing change is the console wars. Sega didn't sell you a console, it sold being "RADIIIICCOOOOOLLL". Go look at early 90s advertising. It's all about selling cool, not the game itself.

This of course has been refined and refined since then.

It still doesn't entirely explain why Normies suddenly pretend to like absolute crap like capeshit. But it's a piece in the puzzle.

I think a more poignant question to ask is why is there all of a sudden groups of nerds who engage in dick measuring contests about how much meaningless pop culture drivel they've consumed within their brief lifetimes.

>Friend moves into new share house
>Go to this share house for the first time
>It's literally covered in tens of thousands of dollars of shitty geek shit, literally framed comic books and crap
>Not even rare comic books, like, series that only came out a year or so ago.
>Every shelf in the house covered in thousands of dollars worth of those stupid pop figurines.

The thing is, none of it even looks good. It's just a house covered in shit that has literally zero aesthetic value.

Why would you show off all this crap you've spent tens of thousands of dollars on when none of it is good?

So basically big war coming. I can sense it.

>Autistic screeching