New interview with Christopher Nolan about Dunkirk

premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/EXCLU-Christopher-Nolan-et-ses-collaborateurs-revelent-7-infos-sur-Dunkerque

I'll translate the whole thing

>1 / It is a film about the battle of Dunkerque

That's an excluded person. But Dunkerque is a funny episode of World War II, both victory (evacuation) and symbol of the defeat (of the phoney war). Dunkerque (the film) takes place during the evacuation which took place from 26 May to 4 June 40. After being defeated by the Germans, the British expeditionary force and the French troops were surrounded by the Wermacht. Nearly 400,000 troops on the coast are waiting to be repatriated across the Channel. Impossible mission that will become a turning point of the war.

Christopher Nolan: "This is an essential moment in the history of the Second World War. If this evacuation had not been a success, Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost, or would have known a different fate: the Germans would undoubtedly have conquered Europe, the US would not have returned to war ... It is a true point of rupture in war and in history of the world. A decisive moment. And the success of the evacuation allowed Churchill to impose the idea of a moral victory, which allowed him to galvanize his troops like civilians and to impose a spirit of resistance while the logic of this Sequence should have been that of surrender. Militarily it is a defeat; On the human plane it is a colossal victory. "

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WYGcMqMd128
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>2 / It is not the first time that we see these events in the cinema

"The miracle of Dunkirk" has been staged several times, but ...

Emma Thomas (producer) : "Never in a modern way, except the incredible shot of Reviens-moi (by Joe Wright ). Chris thought this story had to be told in a modern way. "

Christopher Nolan: "I did not see the 1958 film ( Dunkirk of Leslie Norman with Richard Attenborough and John Mills ). I did not even know his existence before starting the production of my film. But one of the reasons I wanted to tell this story is that I thought we had to tell this story for today's audience. I grew up watching movies from British wars, classics like Damn Busters , but that's different "

>Christopher Nolan: "This is an essential moment in the history of the Second World War. If this evacuation had not been a success, Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost, or would have known a different fate: the Germans would undoubtedly have conquered Europe, the US would not have returned to war ... It is a true point of rupture in war and in history of the world. A decisive moment. And the success of the evacuation allowed Churchill to impose the idea of a moral victory, which allowed him to galvanize his troops like civilians and to impose a spirit of resistance while the logic of this Sequence should have been that of surrender. Militarily it is a defeat; On the human plane it is a colossal victory. "

Stop being stupid Nolan, 400,000 men nothing by WW2 standards. The navy and the airforce were still there. We could NOT have been invaded.

>
3 / It is not the war movie you expect

With Dunkerque , Nolan abandons the SF, the high-concept films and the mental labyrinths ... for what by the fact? A real warrior blockbuster? A Soldier Ryan on the Opal Coast? Not really, no.

Emma Thomas: " Dunkirk is a film about the survival, hope and experience of war. "
Christopher Nolan: " It's less a war movie than a survival drifted by suspense. I wanted to be in the present moment, to find the immediate intensity to share the experience of these soldiers. The film recounts a series of paradoxical situations. The most obvious: the army is stuck on this beach and must cross the Channel to return to England. But from there, there are others: will a soldier succeed in reaching the mole? Will the pilot be able to carry out his mission? And the film focuses on suspense sequences that are reduced to a human dimension. "

>4 / There is little dialogue

"You are in a dream" in Inception . "Some men just want to watch the world burn" Dark Knight ... From Memento to Inception or Interstellar , at Nolan the big scenes and situations often go through dialogue or voice-over. We talk to Christopher Nolan . A lot. But not in Dunkirk ...

Lee Smith: "The editing was more complicated because there is little dialogue"

Christopher Nolan: "The empathy for the characters has nothing to do with their story. I did not want to go through the dialogue, tell the story of my characters. The problem is not who they are, who they claim to be or where they come from. The only question I was interested in was: Will they get out of it? Will they be killed by the next bomb while trying to join the mole? Or will they be crushed by a boat crossing? "

>5 / Everything started with an image

Sometimes everything starts from a script (the first part of the script written by Jonathan Nolan for Spielberg - Interstellar ) or an idea of staging ( backtracking - Memento ). But the desire to make Dunkerque comes from elsewhere .

Christopher Nolan: "Emma (Thomas) made me read a book on the evacuation of Dunkerque, but the idea of the film is part of an image: the mole. The vision of soldiers massed on this pier, one kilometer long and 2.5 meters wide, struck me. She spoke to me like an elemental image . A primal image, something I had not seen before. An image that has a very strong allegorical force. It haunted me. I had never heard of this pier. "

>6 / It is an immersive film

Nolan is a demiurge filmmaker. He invented worlds of dreams in which he plunged his spectators as dropped as his characters; He reduced the universe to a library where we were stuck with Matthew McConaughey ... all his artistic approach is to embark us in his delusions. There, it is the warrior experience, but the goal is the same:

Christopher Nolan: "I wanted to see the surprise, the frustration of the forces stuck in Dunkerque. Someone who arrived on the beach in May 40 had no idea of the number, the facts, any historical perspective and that, it must have been terrifying. It was a Kafka situation. Huge tails that lie down and no one to tell you what to do, how, to whom to address ... Feeling we are in the wrong place. And we're probably going to die ... just because we're here. That's what I wanted the viewer to go through. "

>we have to tell this story
>please giv money
>this is monumental in my filmography
>i don't care anymore
>churchill good guy hitler bad
>ww2 movies are still hip r-right
nolan please retire

>7 / There are three stories

Far from his narrative volutes or his dives inside the mass consciousness, did Nolan finally realize a simple film? The trailer, the incredible prologue and (incidentally) the first cover of Première suggest that the architecture of the film could be complex. There will be three points of view. The soldiers on the beach (with Harry Styles ); That of the navy (with Cillian Murphy and Mark Rylance , symbol of the involvement of civilians in the rescue) and finally that of the aviation (the incredible scene of the air combat with Tom Hardy snipe the messerschmidt could be the climax of the film ). Confirmation:

Christopher Nolan: "The film is told from three points of view. The air (planes), the land (on the beach) and the sea (the evacuation by the navy). For the soldiers embarked in the conflict, the events took place on different temporalities. On land, some stayed one week stuck on the beach. On the water, the events lasted a maximum day; And if you were flying to Dunkirk, the British spitfires would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of history, one had to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple. "

Final translation

>8 / Nolan was inspired by silent films and Bresson

Christopher Nolan showed several films to his team to explain what he was trying to do. It's from the Wage of Fear to Saving Private Ryan . But he also reviewed a few silent classics.

Christopher Nolan: "I spent a lot of time reviewing the silent films. For crowd scenes. The way extras move, evolve, how the space is staged and how the cameras capture it, the views used. Reviewing intolerance , L'Aurore or the Hill has been an essential and nutritious exercise. "

Bravo Nolan!

>Nolan
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Bump

>PG-13 rated war movie

hahaha

[citation needed]

So sad to see him crash and burn...truly tragic

Nolan is desperate

Dunkirk will sweep at next years Oscars and Nolan faggy detractors will just sit crying knowing they have lost

Anyone who doesn't think this is secretly an Inception sequel is retarded

you would have got nuked.

Nazis would have got nuclear weapons and made you surrender like japs did.

KINO

Nolan is dropping exposition. Going full 2001 Kubrick with as little as much dialouge as possible. Visual langauge cine

Pretty dogshit desu. Dunkirk was the beady eyed Anglos scurrying off after losing what their fathers fought so hard to keep in WW1.

A better film would have centered around the actual capitulation of France and the overwhelming strategy the Germans employed to destroy the Allied armies.

youtube.com/watch?v=WYGcMqMd128

>posting a video from a nazi like David Irving

very very intresting.

This makes it sound like it will be a very complex editing collage. Remember how in inception there were dreams within dreams and how time run diffrently? Well kind of same cinematic juggling act is going to happen with three different POV (land, air, sea).

In short it will be one of the most tense thrillers ever made. Edge of your seat.

good post

>In short it will be one of the most tense thrillers ever made. Edge of your seat.

Will it be the biggest since silent cinema, Chris?

>400,000 men nothing by WW2 standards
lol thats the same number as america suffered total military deaths. its not small at all

kiska movie when

kek

bump no. 2