Just finished watching Moonlight

Just finished watching Moonlight.

It's a very good movie, a deserving Best Picture winner, very impressive to see the stylistic traits of things like Wong Kar-Wai's cinema being applied in an American context.

If you're on the fence about seeing it because you're skeptical of Hollywood's ability to choose a deserving winner, I can say it's worth your while.

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/920627/the-side-by-side-comparisons-that-show-how-hong-kong-director-wong-kar-wai-influenced-oscar-winner-moonlight/
youtube.com/watch?v=LwmEWNXIsNk
youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't enjoy a movie with black people. I feel as though I cannot relate or empathize with them after living in Detroit for 4 years.

boy, i hope you're memeing. otherwise you should really talk through that problem with some people in your life.

Also make sure you watch Edward Yang's Yi Yi. Lots of Taiwanese new wave influence in Moonlight

Moonlight would be more appreciated if Brad Pitt's company didn't pick it up and became an awards darling, but on the long term it will be very appreciated regardless of the identity politics craze

I enjoyed it too OP, but if you're looking for an honest discussion about this film on Sup Forumstv/ you came to the wrong place.

i have needed a reminder to see this, thanks

It's a cheap imitation of Wong Kar-Wai and Hsiao-Hsien Hou. Only Moonlight is a boring film where people mumble a lot and are barely intelligible.

>t. white liberal from new england who's never seen a black person

Fuck off, theyre animals

It never would have been made if Brad Pitt didn't help produce it. Do you bitch about Manchester being produced by Matt Damon also?

Why is it called Moonlight and not The Gay Nigger Movie

mate, i live in the bad part of Brooklyn. i'm just not a spastic like you, apparently.

I'm highly skeptical since Hollywood hasn't picked a good best film winner in ages.
No Country for old men was the only worthwhile in recent memory

>stylistic traits of things like Wong Kar-Wai's cinema
:^)

Show me side by sides right now where you think this is happening

anytime, my fellow memer

GayNiggers from Outer Space 2: Gayhood

Any more examples? Movement of camera?
I'll wait for you to make the webms too

check it out

qz.com/920627/the-side-by-side-comparisons-that-show-how-hong-kong-director-wong-kar-wai-influenced-oscar-winner-moonlight/

So is the guy he's holding supposed to be his kid that he's teaching how to swim or is it his young gay lover?

I thought it was about gay criminals in the ghetto but it looks like they are on an island.

Not that guy but the Kevin sequences in the third act are very reminiscent of the imagery of Fallen Angels and Happy Together

that's the main character as a kid, Mahershala Ali plays his mentor during that part of the movie.

the MC does become a gay drug dealer but it's shot in Florida, hence the water.

How did spotlight win over the revenant then if aping is all it takes?

>Mahershala Ali plays his mentor during that part of the movie.
Dude it was his Dad

Jenkins has some skill in getting performances from his actors, but as a storyteller and cinematic craftsman, on the basis of this movie he's amateurish. This movie, like Boyhood, didn't really have anything to say. The boy is uninteresting and remains so as a teen and young man, and the sensitive mounting of the issue of his sexuality doesn't inherently make the movie more valuable as an artistic endeavor.

The film is just fundamentally a weak story that's being overly commended because of its managing to present characters not frequently portrayed onscreen (a decent man who's a successful drug dealer, a black inner-city youth with homosexual leanings, a bad mother who's not a monster, etc. - all very interesting potentially, but not so much in the service of drama this mundane and superficially developed).

youtube.com/watch?v=LwmEWNXIsNk

He doesn't even hide his influence.

youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

Thoughts about his taste?

Do you really think Wong Wang Kai is the first director to ever show 2 people eating together? There's a million movies with that exact type of framing.

Gay cowboys, eating pudding.

>these movies have to have parity of representation because its important
>i cant identify with hetcis people, so there needs to be LGBTQ people, too
>if there arent minorities, something is wrong
>WHA DO U MENE U CANT EYDENTIF WIF BLAK PPPL?!?!?!

Fucking. Liberals.

How is the movie if you are not gay?
Any sexual interactions between men on screen?

>that aspie outburst

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing this brainless pasta. Not every work of art needs a "deep message" that is so obvious you can sum it up in a sentence or two. All art is in the end is expression. It is a simple, well executed story that explores loneliness, growing up, identity, and how we are pressured by society to become who we are. There is no "deep message" that is original and hasn't already been said somewhere else.

literally a fucking gay nigger faggot the motion picture

top tier

No, the homosexuality in the movie is handled tastefully and isn't really the main focus, it's just a part of it. Chiron isn't a stereotype that goes around, hitting on every man he sees, and he never really has sex although he does kiss a guy and gets a handy that we don't really see

The Revenant wasn't very good.

F, apply yourself

Entry level like a first year

I wasn't going to watch Moonlight but I'm gonna check it out now. Wong Kar Wai's cinematography is fucking incredible

What is essential /Wongcore/

Get back at me after your viewing(s) of Upstream Color, kid. And here I am thinking thinking this board is kino...Best Picture is all too often deluded bullshit catered to the masses and this year was the epitome of just that. And you just eat it up and clean your plate every year because your palette is bland as fuck.

What's it about, besides D I V E R S I T Y and oscar bait?

All I've heard is black, gay, drugdealer and pimp.

>this shit is a pasta now

>Do you really think Wong Wang Kai is the first director to ever show 2 people eating together?
Yes

damn you are missing out on some good animal kino then. You didn't watch planet earth 2 did you?

If you never grew up in a city you really can't speak about how horrible urban blacks are.

t. Philadelphia

look, i get that being racist on the internet is a fun hobby for a lot of you, but to actually be incapable of enjoying or empathizing through a movie because it's about black people? that's like being fucking brain damaged.

>t. Brooklyn

>My gay friend gave me a handjob on the beach and I liked it: The Movie
Has there ever been a more pointless movie?

>I can only understand things explicitly stated and shown in a movie

From your point of view, probably not.

Neat shit, thanks for the link.

There used to be a time that the 'far right' put forward values as a way of judging people before relegating blacks to the role of subhumans. I guess it was too hard to articulate a specific set of virtues to live your life by outside of your genetics. We have to do better. SAD.

Chungking Express

In the Mood for Love

Fallen Angels

Shit was redpilled AF

not white people in it at all. I'm pretty sure the only time in the movie when anyone says nigger is when Chiron chimps out (arguably a huge mistake on his part and on the part of the larger black community that neglected him).

The movie really draws attention to the serious problems within the black community. Problems with black mothers, fathers, families (or lack thereof), drugs, masculinity, expectations, and standards of behavior.

the newspaper ball was way heavy handed. Even in the poorest American neighborhoods kids can own real balls. That shit was straight out of Africa.

Yeah basically the only critique I have of the money was the newspaper ball.

See:

GayNogz 2: Electric Nigaloo

Sure is easy to find contradictions when you combine people with opposing beliefs into one group for no reason....

This, I don't understand why people shit on this movie. The entire thing does not present "nigger behavior" in a positive way, it shows how fucked up these communities are.

It's because they don't bother to see it.

Turns out that closing yourself off to things based purely on race makes you an idiot. Who knew.

>It's a jews push homosexuality on a vulnerable population episode

>watching the movie with my gay black

" oh my gawd is that a wad of newspaper? that is so sad"

And it shows that the cycle of fucked-up-edness is perpetuated from within. Even the scene when Chiron is getting carted off and put into the squad car the takeaway is that he fucked up, his teachers fucked up, the school security fucked up, the other black kids fucked up, Kevin fucked up, his mom fucked up, his dad fucked up, and his drug dealer dad father figure fucked up. The only one who didn't really fuck up was Janelle Monae.

Okay stormie.

gay black friend*

>s-stormfag!

This is the liberals only response when presented with inconvenient facts.

Yeah I'm gonna check it out. Seeing as how it's a movie about a black homosexual man and it still gets some love around here points towards it being something special.

Yeah that was bullshit. Completely false representation of the economic reality of those neighborhoods.

They're impoverished yes, but not in the "no money for a real ball" way.

They're morally, spiritually, and emotionally impoverished, and the film shows that brilliantly.

I agree with everything Bret Easton Ellis wrote about the movie.

>watching a pack of niggers hoot and holler for 90 minutes

No, thanks.

What inconvenient facts are you presenting?
You're either a cointelpro shill, or just a genuine stormer retard who can't fully grasp the complexity of the geo political and economic power struggle so likes to just blame Jews.

The film isn't primarily focused normalizing homosexuality for blacks, sure that is a component, but the bigger takeaway is that being a fuckboy to your fellow man is how your keep your culture and community fucked up.

And if you were a real white sup nat soc stormer you would like the idea of normalizing homosexuality for blacks. Unless you're too caught up in the whole normalizing pedophilia angle.

>Wong Kar-Wai's cinema being applied in an American context

My Blueberry Nights

>It's a very good movie, a deserving Best Picture winner

Hey dipshit you're just some average fucko on the internet

Unless you have credentials/merit that makes your opinion worth reading you're just jerking yourself off for amusement aka you're a fuckboi

>88
seriously tho, its not that at all. It is a truly relatable and touching story, even for a straight white person.

I loved the movie, but those long handheld tracking shots sometimes made me turn away. I guess it symbolized the turbulent path forward for the young man.

But it just made me a bit motion sick.

pretty much this, I think half the shitposting about this movie is desperate film majors trying to justify their tuition and seeing things that simply are not there.

More redpill from Moonlight:

In the lunchroom when Terrel is pressuring Kevin into attacking Chiron to prove his "black masculinity", Terrel fondly recounts how when they were younger Kevin was evidently very good at some sort of variation on the knockout game, and really fucked up "white kid" as Terrel puts it. Kevin corrects him saying that the kid was actually cuban. Read into that what you will, but it appears to me as a direct criticism of black on white racism.

Movie was redpilled.