What the fuck were they thinking?

What the fuck were they thinking?

...when they released that first trailer?

Movie was good desu

SABOTAAAGE

they were thinking," let's make a fun Star Trek movie." what did they do? they made a fun Star Trek movie.

ST > STB > STID

>What the fuck were they thinking?

We should make the best Star Trek movie since Undiscovered Country

STAR TREK MOVIE RANK

>II: The Wrath of Khan
>VI: The Undiscovered Country
>The Motion Picture
>Beyond
>IV: The Voyage Home
>First Contact
>III: The Search for Spork
>V: The Final Frontier
>Insurrection
>Star Trek
>Nemesis
>Generations
>Into Darkness

This movie was great. Fun standalone adventure, everyone had something to do, the forced inter-character drama (which was always out of place) has been greatly toned-down.

Good movie. Shame it flopped.

Luckily Trek has enough capital that Trek 4 is still going forward. Hopefully they learn the RIGHT lessons from this movie and keep the classic adventure tone but fix the marketing.

They were thinking "let's make millions of dollars" and then they did and they all bought new yachts.

This, besides Trek is like the only franchise paramount has at the moment.

>Beyond is probably the most Star Trek-like movie in a while
>flops by 2016 standards

>Into Darkness is capeshit with Star Trek in the name
>makes billions

I'm sure we know what XIV will be like.

>Box office: 343.5 million USD
>Budget: 185 million USD

not really a flop, mate. flops are when films don't make back their budget. however, i think it's time to lay this particular cast to rest. maybe one more to introduce a Next Gen type of thing with Kirk and Spock cameos or whatever. honestly, i'm kinda done with Pine. never dug him as an actor. ithought Hell or High Water would have been better with an actor more in tune with the screenplay. a beta loser type and not an alpha pretending to be one. just my two cents.

Meant to reply to

Beyond underperformed partly because of train wreck: into derpness.

Un ironically not the worst ranking I've ever seen

Best Star Trek movie of Nu-Trek by a mile, it's a shame it bombed because of the abysmal "lol so random" marketing campaign

>Into Darkness: 90% on RT
>Beyond: 85% (last time I checked)
It's not a trainwreck to normies.

Flops are when films don't make back their budget+marketing.

>Box office: 343.5 million USD
>Budget+Marketing: 370 million USD
Uh oh.

Not a god damn thing wrong with Into Darkness but the death curing blood and cross planetary transporter.

Every single one of these nu-Trek movies is about some asshole trying to get revenge on the Federation

That bothers me but otherwise it was a solid flick

No... If Elba got more screen time and flashbacks I would agree but as it stands I think Nemesis better.

I've seen every trek film in the theater since V until into darkness when I had finally had enough.
Caught beyond on blu ray and felt legitimately bad for not seeing it in the theater, so maybe its just my own bias coloring it.

They made a Star Trek movie that is closer to the original series than any of the TOS movies.

Then they marketed it like shit.

it's the fucking worst star trek film ever, and that's saying a lot.
not memeing, this movie honestly makes me sad

reminder that we still wont get any post DS:9 series or movies ever

>Every single one of these nu-Trek movies is about some asshole trying to get revenge on the Federation
Even better: They're all from another time.

2009: Asshole from 100 years in the future, seeking revenge
ID: Asshole from 300 years in the past, seeking revenge
B: Asshole from 100 years in the past, seeking revenge

> Country > Wrath > Into = 2009 > Nemesis > Beyond > Search > First Contact > Motion Picture > Voyage > Generations >>> Final Frontier = Insurrection

First Contact is that low because the campy earth bound stuff doesn't appeal to me.
I have a strong urge to put Generations behind Contact because I really liked Soran but the awful Data emotions bullshit pulls it down (I actually liked Kirk's death to a extent)
Beyond is that low because Elba is so underused.
Into is equal with 09 instead of better because of the flaws mentioned here -

Explain fucker!

where did you get that number? wasn't aware marketing costs were the same as production budget.

It has nothing to do with star trek, it's a bad action flick. Even action scenes were boring to watch, and 90% of the movie is action. Why would you do this? I honestly couldn't watch it until the end, neither could my boring ass father who eats crap like this with no problem so long as it's sci fi( he even finished watching Jupiter ascending).

but that's not what makes me sad, what makes me sad is how many people actually liked it.

Bullshit. Its literally plot convenience after plot convenience to drag the movie into another dull uninteresting extended action scene that doesn't move the plot forward one bit.
On top of that JJs lack of ability at conveying scale is fucking obnoxious.
The script is awful, written by the biggest hacks since lindeloff.
And on top of it all, they were constantly telling everyone before the movie came out that Kahn wasn't going to be the antagonist.
Its a shitty action movie, and a bad trek flick.

>BBBRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPFFF

I'm rather torn on this one, really. Generally I fucking dislike J.J. Abrams and anything he touch but in several regards there are parts of this movie which are just plain fun despite how cheesy they are. Several of the weaknesses of the previous two movies are downplayed (characters are slightly better and it's connection to Star Trek lore isn't just piggybacking off a better movie unlike Into Darkness). Conceptually, Krall is an interesting villain...and this is where the flaws come in.

Krall is a villain with severely wasted potential and while he has an interesting back story and motivation it isn't handled all that well unless we simply assume that all this alien shit has really fried his brain and nearly completely killed off his previous personality. He also needed a bit more build up to the reveal of who and what he is than the final act. I also think that the idealistic nature of classic Star Trek could have been used with Kirk just speeching Krall until he give up his murder boner. Goofy? Maybe. But more conceptually in-tone with previous Star Trek series. As for the cheese, well it's cheesy (yes I will bring up Sabotage) and has plenty of dumb action moments, as usual.

Still, in many ways it seemed like a good improvement compared to Into Darkness. Honestly, if anything, Into Darkness seems a bit superfluous.

Going back to Krall for a moment, I can't really unsee the somewhat blatant 'muh political commentary' in what he is, even if I fully admit that within the Star Trek universe it does make perfect sense. That and, again, maybe if he had more screentime he would have come off as properly tragic.

GAY ZULU

Did people actually enjoy this movie? It was such a bland piece of shit.

>Honestly, if anything, Into Darkness seems a bit superfluous.

Into Darkness is an almost beat-for-beat remake of 09 anyway, ti was always superfluous unless you thought Star Trek was missing 9/11 Trutherism and Damon Lindelof all these years.

I should point out that I don't think Beyond is good, merely conceptually more interesting as a movie than the other two shit stain.

Also I'm not even sure wtf Hollywood is trying to peddle these days about 9/11 but I'm going to guess the current narrative is blaming it on the US and not muslims because MUH ISLAMOPHOBIA.

Why did you post this? No, seriously. What are you doing. What was the fucking point of you coming on to this website, taking the time out of your day, coming here, and willingly wasting your time doing absolutely nothing constructive at all with your life. Just simply coming here, with no sense of wanting to do anything constructive or helpful or progressive in any way, just here to post nothing. Nothing in the world would have been different if you had literally never posted that at all. God dammit people like you make me fucking sick to my stomach and concerned for the wellbeing of the future of society, even now I really can’t even fucking comprehended what a complete and utter fucking waste of a human being you are, or what your parents would think if they understood the connotations of what their child had become. This website is not your personal blog, the people here are not your friends, when coming here assume everyone hates you, because if we knew you irl, I’m pretty sure we would. I can only pray that you won’t reproduce and continue to pollute the gene pool with this fucking idiotic retarded nonsense, but good thing I won’t have to because you’re such of a humongous faggot that no girl would ever want anything to do with

I-is this pasta? It's too long for me to read.

>as it stands I think Nemesis better.

This is such a goddamn ridiculous thing to say I am genuinely (You)ing you to find out if it was a mistake

I also thought it was kinda bland. But then again I only have a passing knowledge of Star Trek and I thought the first two were great for what they are.

>Also I'm not even sure wtf Hollywood is trying to peddle these days about 9/11 but I'm going to guess the current narrative is blaming it on the US and not muslims because MUH ISLAMOPHOBIA.

No I'm being 100% serious, Roberto Orci ia an out-and-proud Loose Change-esque 9/11 Truther. That's why the villain is an extremist general who frames a group of ethnic "others" for a attack on a national building.

It flopped because everyone is sick of the grimdark edgy bland capeshit of Into Darkness and they marketed it as if it was more of that.

Beyond was super good. Refreshing as fuck after the other trek films and The Force Awakens. It seemed to care less about servicing and more about just being a movie where things happen.

I loved it

You know, this got me thinking: as much as I am glad that Jar Jar didn't shit up all over the Klingons beside their redesign I do have to wonder why are the klingons NOT in any major roles in these movies? They're the most popular alien race in Trek. Again, I'm glad they didn't get fucked up too much but it baffles me that in spite of how much J.J love to rehash shit from franchises he ruin he hasn't bothered putting the most famous Trek race in any major role, especially in the era where they are bad guys.

4th nutrek will have nuSpock coming to the old timeline.

my dad works for nintendo

Meh, I don't remember a single thing about the JJ ones either. Never watch Star Trek.

because Klingons weren't friendly in TOS. In TNG, however, they sort of were.

The Klingons have been pretty thoroughly plundered through the TOS movies, TNG and DS9. I'd guess their lack of inclusion in the JJ reboot comes from a few things.

1. Nu-Trek writers unwilling to watch 50 million hours of Trek tv to familiarize themselves with all of the shit that fanboys would sperg about if they got wrong

2. The sticky political situation of a barbarian culture played often by white people with black facepaint

3. Saving them for a later movie epic multi-film story arc

>Beyond was super good.
>I loved it.

The state of criticism among you, the film was SHIT.

you're a gaylord FACT

>the film was SHIT.

The state of criticism among you

>2. The sticky political situation of a barbarian culture played often by white people with black facepaint
You do know there have been plenty of Klingon played by black actors, right? Plus they established Klingons are bumpy forehead dudes in NuTrek and not white actors trying to look like Genghis Khan.

Oh and they could totally go the way of MUH PROUD RACE OF BROWN PEOPLE SUPERIOR TO FEDERATION! route. I mean, it would be shit, but not completely out of character for the Klingons sadly. They're kinda proud of being barbarians to begin with. Plus they're like space viking zulu cavemen samuai anyway.

I realized this after my post, but on further thought the film isn't deserving of any more attention.

You suck Hollywood cock for a little bit more of that Star Trek cum. FACT

Beyond is one of the best Trek movies with a shitty first trailer that becomes awesome after you understand the context for it. I hope that Discovery feels like that movie did.

literal cancer

Kill yourself. You are the walking talking cancer that killed comfy Trek threads and probably comfy Sup Forums in general.

>Sup Forums unironically likes Beyond

WHY?

Worse Star Trek movie ever. Even The Final Frontier was better.

>/comfy/

Comfort is shit if it's built on complicity with mediocrity. Go on continue your vapid discussion of "I loved it" "movie was good" "This movie was great". Nothing intelligent being said by any of you.

I only liked it because it wasn't going "9/11!! KHAAAANNN!!!! Blue filter!!!! Memes!!!" like Into Shit

Friendly reminder that Klingons are really just thin skinned, excessively prideful, and horribly insecure.

The main difference is that Klingon have a culture beyond shaking sticks and making loud noises.

>Comfort is shit if it's built on complicity with mediocrity

Beyond went out of it's way to undo the damage JJ did to Trek.

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it was refreshing to see after those 2 shitpiles.

The second star trek was better, this one is a borefest

You're forgetting Monster Trucks.

He follows the red letter memeia method which is budget x 2.

WE

yeah 1982's The Wrath of Khan is GOAT

Sofia a cute.

OFFICIAL STAR TREK MOVIE POWER RANKINGS:

1. Great Tier
>ST: The Motion Picture
>STII: The Wrath of Khan
>STIV: The Voyage Home
>Star Trek 2009

2. Good Tier
>STVI: The Undiscovered Country
>ST: First Contact

3. Mediocre Tier
>STIII: The Search for Spock
>STV: The Final Frontier
>ST: Nemesis
>ST: Beyond

4. Shit Tier
>ST: Generations
>ST: Insurrection
>ST: Into Darkness

she's older than I thought, always thought she was mid 20s, would let her kick me to death

>yfw Chekov is replaced with M'Ress in Star Trek 4

That guy doesn't deserve my (You)

>Marine uniforms and hats
What did they mean by this?

Looks better with the movie makeup.

ALTERNATIVE WAY OF LOOKING AT THE PREVIOUS LIST

1. It's a good movie AND a good Star Trek movie
>STII: The Wrath of Khan
>Star Trek 2009

2. It's a good movie, but it's not a good Star Trek Movie
>ST: First Contact

3. It's not a good movie, but it's a good Star Trek movie
>ST: The Motion Picture
>STIII: The Search for Spock
>STIV: The Voyage Home
>STVI: The Undiscovered Country

4. It's not a good movie OR a good Star Trek movie:
>STV: The Final Frontier
>ST: Generations
>ST: Insurrection
>ST: Nemesis
>ST: Into Darkness

I hated this shit.
Okay, we get it, it's supposed to be Bush's post-9/11 address.
Trek is never very subtle about modern-day parallels but this was ridiculous.
Fucking Orci.

Her full 3d model will be ripped and rendered by furries within 30 minutes of the first trailer.

IMMA SET IT STRAIT DIS WATERGAET

>mmmmmmrrrrrrraaawwwww captain, I suggest you come back to my quarters for debreifing.

STB>ST>STID

>tfw Anton will not comeback because he died like a final destination character

Of all the ways to fucking go, that really is one of the most pointless.

It's true that it had a nice adventurous tone, and some good banter among the main cast. But the overall plot was cliche and predictable, and I was pretty much just bored throughout. At least in Force Awakens they kept you sort of guessing about where they were going with Rey and Kylo, in Beyond there was simply nothing to care about whatsoever. The final "fight" from the rock song space battle to the physical combat with kirk and the insert_revenge_bad_guy_#132324 were cringe.

explain the plot of into darkness without looking it up

HERE'S THE FUCKING PLOT

OSAMA BIN LADEN GETS A GUY TO BLOW UP THE WORLD TRADE CENTER, AND NOW THE US IS PISSED, SO THEY ASSUME HE IS IN KLINGONISTAN, WHICH IS OUTSIDE OF US OCCUPATION, SO THEY SEND CAPTAIN KIRK TO NUKE AFGHANISTAN, BUT HE CAN'T DO SHIT BECAUSE HE HAS FEELINGS, SO HE CAPTURES OSAMA BIN KAHN AND HE'S BRITISH.

SO THEY TAKE HIM BACK TO EARTH BUT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE CHEKOV IS AN INCOMPETENT PIECE OF SHIT AND KIRK FIRED SCOTTY BECAUSE KIRK IS A FUCKING DICKHEAD LIKE THAT

THEN PRESIDENT BUSH COMES UP AND SAYS THAT HE KNEW OSAMA BECAUSE HE MADE HIM AS A SUPERSOLDIER IN AL-QAEDA 300 YEARS AGO, BUT KIRK IS NO AND HE PUSSIES OFF.

THEN KIRK STARTS TO FUCKING LISTEN TO OSAMA BIN LADEN, AND IT TURNS OUT THAT HE PUT HIS FAMILY INTO THE FUCKING NUKES BECAUSE THAT'S LOGICAL, AND THEN SCOTTY'S BACK BUT ONLY BECAUSE HE'S IN THE BUSH'S SPACESHIP, AND THEN KIRK JOINS OSAMA IN AN OPERATION TO KILL THE PRESIDENT, AND THEN KAHN TAKES THE SHIP AND TRIES TO BLOW UP THE ENTERPRISE AND IT'S FALLING TO EARTH, SO KIRK AND SCOTTY ARE CLIMBING STAIRS AND SHIT WHILE THE ENTERPRISE IS SPINNING AT 200,000 MILES AN HOUR, AND THEN KIRK GOES INTO A NUCLEAR REACTOR AND FIXES THE QUADRILLION-DOLLAR SHIP BY KICKING THE FUCKING REACTOR

KICKING THE FUCKING REACTOR FIXES THE SHIP

THEN KIRK DIES AND SPOCK SHOUTS OSAMAAAAAAAAAAA AND THEN LEONARD NIMOY WALKED INTO THE SET AND DEMANDED HIS PAYCHECK AND LEFT, AND THEN SPOCK CHASED AFTER OSAMA IN NEW YORK CITY AND HAS A BOSS FIGHT ON TOP OF FLYING CARS AND THEN KIRK IS ALIVE AND WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED WITH THE KLINGONS WASN'T THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A WAR OR DID THE US HAVE ENOUGH OIL

good poast

that ashtray from the Expanse was there lel