Why is this movie number 1 on imdb its really boring and very generic

why is this movie number 1 on imdb its really boring and very generic

>lowercase posting
>"generic"
Yeah, I get the feeling you weren't smart enough to understand it.

what is there to understand he breaks out of prison while morgan freeman explains whats happening every scene wow so smart

>white dindu nuffin
>bad guy is "religious" white male
10/10 best movie of all time

Because its just the right amount of enjoyable and accessible for people of all ages, genders and race to like it. Its no surprise that the top rated movie across the board is relatively unchallenging and not at all polarising. Everyone can appreciate the simple theme, perseverance and kindness in the face of injustice, and the ending is feel good so people who dislike sad or realistic endings wont rate it low either.

Its a bigger surprise to me that the Godfather manages to take 2nd spot. Its my favorite movie but from how a lot of plebs talk about film I dont understand why theyd like the Godfather.

I dont think a single person whos seen a decent amount of film rates Shawshank as their number 1 movie, but pretty much everyone enjoys it.

Why did they turn the potatonigger in a nigger?

>favourite movie godfather
>calls others plebs

Exactly this. It's the type of movie where almost everyone can agree "that was pretty good."

>and very generic
It probably fells like this because a lot of movies and series copied things from this movie.

I have never seen this

It's one of those "Just shut your mind off" kind of movies.

>"Just shut your mind off"
Anytime I see someone use this phrase I immediately know they are an idiot.

It makes it more aspecial for the audience
and if you can have Morgan freeman narrate something, you take that opportunity

>He didn't read between the lines

Enlighten me what did I miss

>Shawnshank redemption
>the main character doesn't need to redeem himself because he didn't do it
>we never see the warden's right hand man redeem himself
>the warden kills himself before he even had a chance at redemption
2/10 wouldn't recommend

See, you expected a redemption arc from the characters and yet it was absent in each and every character. In fact the entire plot of the movie led you to the opposite place of your expectations. There is a word for that.

because it's a self-perpetuating circle of it being in the top 3 since imdb started
>plebs see it being rated highly
>see it
>like it because it's bland and inoffensive
>give it a high rating because everyone else has already given it a high rating

>and the ending is feel good so people who dislike sad or realistic endings wont rate it low either.
You have a bit of a sad "ending" for one character mid through the movie to please the sadfags as well.

snoreshank redemption more like

Real critics don't care about Shawshank. This film isn't even considered good, let alone amazing.

>it is no1 on a site where people can't even comment

blacked Sup Forums threads have more credibility family

>mfw watching this film for the first time
This was basically Escape From Alcatraz
No, seriously
The old inmate with an animal companion, the black best friend, the asshole warden, the attempted prison rape - it's all there

>Its a bigger surprise to me that the Godfather manages to take 2nd spot. Its my favorite movie but from how a lot of plebs talk about film I dont understand why theyd like the Godfather.

The Godfather bandwagon is gigantic and full of retards, including you.

I only find it to be boring and generic because I've seen it so many times, as have a lot of other people im sure.

>dude prisons guards are evil and it's the criminals who are the good guys!!! also FUCK Christians!!!!

no thanks

>dude, all criminals deserve to rot in prison so that I can stay comfy at home watching tv all day and eating burgers

why the greentext

I've seen it a few times and it's good no question. It really defined Morgan Freeman's career, the greatest black narrator in the history of film. It also turned Bob Gunton into an internationally recognizable and feared character. For that alone is deserves the 9.3 rating.

Any movie that successfully yet subtly conveys the realistic fear of uninvited ass sex like Shawshank or Deliverance gets an automatic 2 basis point ratings boost.

LOL u got me!! XDDdd

The vast majority of people in prison deserve to be or at least should be in there and the vast majority of guards aren't sadistic murderers.

people who murder deserve to rot in solitary confinement with a rope until they chose to hang themselves

inb4 edgy "no murdererz r epic!!" response

>people that commit felonies should be segregated from law abiding citizens to protect the latter from the misconduct of the first until they are properly reformed and reinserted into society as functioning members
Wow, I didn't realize that classical liberal positions were now problematic

>until they are properly reformed and reinserted into society as functioning members

I'm sure that works just as intended. It works specially well if you abuse them while you're at it.

Some murder to protect others. Some murder because that's all their life is.

Humanity will never move forward if prisoners keep being treated as inhuman.

I found the film extremely boring (and I love films considered boring), but that may because because I watched the film after watching the Family Guy episode about it

Or because it's a Stephen King story and I hate Stephen King's stories (The Shining included, good cinematography, extremely, fucking boring movie with tons of plotholes)

>real critics

Like Activates-the-Almonds White?

>if you think criminals deserve to be in prison you also condone prison abuse
Sorry, not everyone lives in a third world country like yours

>after watching the Family Guy episode about it

>watching Family Guy

wew

Most prisoners are abused and treated like shit, apart from some exceptions like some Nord countries. If you are american you don't even have the right to talk.

A running joke in the movie is that all the inmates deserve to be there but pretend not to even though nobody else believes them.

"Didn't do it. Lawyer fucked me."

Andy's literally the only innocent man.

I was, like, 12!

Like pretty much any moderately serious film magazine.

AV Club doesn't have it in their top 50 films of 1990s list.
Naturally Sight & Sound never included it in any of their top 250 films lists.

And how does that invalidates the fact that people that do crime need to be put in prison?

>AV Club

I'm not mad I'm just disappointed.

Most people just want the state to keep them away, they don't even care if they are educated and brought back.

>break the law
>people are no longer nice to you
wow.

Even the characters who are guilty are portrayed as virtuous and sympathetic. The guards are the antagonists. The only prisoners depicted antagonistically are the sodomites who are just agents of the warden. (Gee I wonder if that would get scrubbed from the remake?)

It's typical liberal "everything good is actually evil!" bullshit. Just look at Stephen King's politics.

And how does that invalidates the fact that people that do crime need to be put in prison?

>really boring and very generic
you answered your own question, it's sentimental pap for normies

I never argued otherwise, I just said prisons are not doing their job. Reading comprehension.

Their lists aren't bad. There is also Slant's top 100 films of 1990s and I don't remember if they included Shawshank there.

Try other movies, there are tons of threads right now for people like you.

Back peddling.

>Lawrence of Arabia is 83rd
Really activated my almonds.

I've never thought about it in this way before. Really good post m8