Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I saw it very high with a group of friends and we all enjoyed it a lot

Rewatched and it still holds up

sorry fags

Shit taste in movies doesn't make em good

>And people think Prometheus two is gonna be good
The official sequel to Prometheus was cancelled by Ridley.

Ridley Scott 5 years ago
>Titles his Prometheus sequel to be Prometheus: Paradise or simply Paradise and have it be about David and Shaw travelling to the Engineers planet.
>It featured no Aliens

Ridley Scott a couple years ago
>Changes title and completely re-writes the sequel
>Shaw only has a small cameo now
>Inserts many Aliens because of fans not appreciating Prometheus
>Instead of a mysterious horror film that Paradise was going to be, we instead get Alien: Covenant which is basically Alien 2.0 with Ridley using as many references from the first Alien as he can to "please the fans" and who cares about seeing the Engineers home world when we get lots of Aliens killing people just like old times right?

You forgot running away from a giant torus.

Sooooo Prometheus two?

no worries plebe, life must be awesome on the bottom!

>Spend your whole career looking for the meaning of life
>Travel to planet where you think the answer is
>Give up on the whole thing a few hours after arriving
It's a deeply stupid movie. Also the founder alien could have easily gotten off the surface if he had worked out a decent plan instead of just going all HULK SMASH right away. Another "intelligent" character doing dumb shit because of bad writing.

Don't worry, they made Alien Covenant for plebs like you. Lots of dude weed comedians, shower scenes, and giant CGI alien fight scenes to keep the small-minded entertained.

>Dollar store doctor Manhattan

it looks a million times better than anything in Watchmen

Someone posted a thread on this earlier today and I re-watched it this afternoon.

Tbh, my opinion hasn't really changed - it's a nonsensical, direction-less load of rubbish. A wonderful idea, just poorly executed.

Fuck me if this isnt the most discussed movie ever on Sup Forums

To be fair, who really does care about seeing the Engineers homeworld?

that's how Alien was supposed to be. Ridley ruined the mystery of the space jockey by introducing his own autistic lore when the entire point of him was to raise questions ;

But Prometheus kinda set up this interesting premise about further discovering who we are.

The Engineers made us, then were apparently set on destroying us, but zero explanation for that was given.

>inb4 hurr durr cos dey can

>nonsensical

you're an idiot

See Prometheus two

The promise and premise of the movie is good the execution is shit. I think the people who like this movie are more in love with the concept than the actual movie itself

all prometheus did was raise questions, literally the whole point of the movie, and look at how people bitched

Big difference between raising questions and having nonsensical plot points that go nowhere to make your movie seem deep and mysterious

other than the geologist getting lost so easily in the ship, what was so retarded about the plot? Is this another "why didn't she run serpentine" bullcrap?

>"why didn't she run serpentine"

Why DIDN'T she run serpentine?

Well argued. You're obviously from reddit with such fine debating skills.

because when you're panicking and about to be crushed, you don't have the time to sit down and do trigonometry, you just haul ass in one direction and hope for the best

Shaw managed. She tripped and rolled aside. Why did Vickers find it hard? In fact why is she in the film at all? Her entire character is pretty pointless.

how about taking off their helmets on a new planet just because they concluded the air was breathable

or getting a c section in a male only medical pod, or hell why was it even a male only medical pod, how the fuck does she just walk around after stapling her gigantic gaping hole in her stomach

or how about the robot just randomly fucking with people to see what would happen

like I havent even seen this piece of shit since it came out but goddamn it was a piece of flaming garbage from what I can remember

>Black goo that does whatever the plot needs it to do
>Vickers and her dad thing injected into the middle of the movie for some reason
>Vickers who has been an established hard ass has casual sex with pilot for whatever reason
>Random hologram thing that goes nowhere
>As pointed out above girl gives up on life's work after hours on planet
>Petting vagina Cobra after character is established to be a coward
>Dollar Manhattan chimps out for no reason

Are you under the impression that running to the left or right is an absurdly complicated strategy to come up with within the dozen or so seconds it took for the thing to actually reach Vickers?

Fuck that's scene was seriously so dumb

can't sit down and write a novel to address all your points, I'm just gonna say almost everything you mentioned is a stale sci fi trope since forever so it's almost lame to single out this movie for doing it

she didn't know which was the ship was gonna fall idiot

*which way

I'm worried about the supply of oxygen in whatever room you're sequestered in.

so youre saying if I looked at it more like starship troopers than alien I would have enjoyed it more

not an argument. Try again

here's a video that explains everything in the movie on the kindergarten level you all need

youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q

Sorry m8, I can't sit down and write a novel to address all your points

>getting a c section in a male only medical pod
damn you're retarded. She requested a tumor removal

>how the fuck does she just walk around after stapling her gigantic gaping hole in her stomach
it's called drugs retard

>robot just randomly fucking with people
he was programmed by Weyland to do as much research as possible, the crew are mostly worthless

Running to the left or right leaves you in the enormous shadow area in which it could potentially topple over. The situation is nowhere near as clear cut as you're making it out to be, even ignoring the human psychology aspect of it. Essentially what you're criticizing is that the writers understood the nuance of a situation like this, which is really hilarious and dunning-krugery.

Im pretty sure thats not how you remove a tumor, you seem like the kind of person that says, this was based on a true story when you talk about a movie, also if she was drugged enough to walk around after that surgery she would not have been able to survive what happened after, youre trying way too hard to defend shitty writing at least have the decency to say they were honoring shitty tropes like that other guy

>Im pretty sure thats not how you remove a tumor
it is when it's a machine and you say it's an emergency and the patient is dying any second

>also if she was drugged enough to walk around after that surgery she would not have been able to survive what happened after,
the fuck are you talking about?

She requesting a caesarian, and it rejected stating it was mate-only.

She then requested a foreign-object removal

good, I'm glad we both agree the criticism was dumb

It's true purpose was to make a Creationism theory on how life sprung into being on this planet, not about aliens, androids and red heads.

So instead of running left or right and risking the slight possibility that the object falling in a straight line might shift its course, they run in the only direction they KNOW will kill them.

You should probably test this theory yourself at some point.

>why don't people react logically in life or death situations

ask it again maybe it will make sense the 10th time

the crew of the Nostromo is as or more retarded than the crew in prometheus. We're not talking science knowledge, just basic self-preservation

did ridley scott put a gun to your head asking you to defend this piece of shit, would explain a lot

I don't even particularly like Prometheus. Just saying 90% of the criticism against it sounds moronic

It's got some fantastic visuals and I love the atmosphere but goddamn the characters are really inconsistent.

Why have a character talk about how scary the alien ship is and how he hopes he doesn't run into any ayylmaos and then have him get cutesy with the angry alien snake that's fucking hissing at him?

The best thing to do is run directly away from it and then, if you're left with no other choice, run towards the side. You seem like a fucking idiot who thinks the characters had a bird's eye view of the ship, its shape, and its impossible structural integrity which allowed it to roll like a donut, which is a highly improbable movement for something of that size to make. Any man-made structure would be crushed under its own weigh on impact, and then running in a straight line away from it would be by far the best option. In summary you're simplifying something that isn't simple at all. If you add human psychology into the mix, where instinct dictates to run directly away from things even if it isn't the best choice, you're doubly wrong.

Ridley Scott sat down and actually thought about what a person might do under the circumstances. This is what you're complaining about. You're really fucking dumb and this makes you think you're an expert.

It's closer to 99% really. I've never seen a movie that attracts idiots and their "criticisms" so readily. They could have added an extra scene where Milburn and Fifield get lost, something like them walking past the doorway they were supposed to leave through or showing the length and uniformity of the corridors they were navigating.

>impossible structural integrity
>highly improbable movement for something of that size to make

So that's another problem we can add to the scene.

Once again you neglect to take into account the excessive amount of time these women had to realize they should change direction in this scene. I'll grant that it wouldn't occur to some people, but those people would have to be bottom-of-the-barrel stupid.

Any way you look at it, it was a retarded scene, and an abysmal movie.

It looked like a scene from a Wayans brother movie.

>another problem

No, that's the technological level of the engineers you dense fuck. Impossible from a human perspective, clearly possible for them. You're literally wrong about everything you're saying, I wouldn't trust myself to criticize anything if I were you.

>muh engineerz!!!

Who gives a fuck about them? They had a combined screen time of about 20 seconds prior to Prometheus. Alien is supposed to be about hot chicks and sexy xenomorphs

they had to change the whole script for the next movies cause they were leaked like twice

>Impossible from a universal perspective

ftfy

Movie for retards, defended by retards

Not him, but this are completely cinematic valid points on it's shittiness:
>Petting vagina Cobra after character is established to be a coward
>Vickers who has been an established hard ass has casual sex with pilot for whatever reason

I would add my own
>The robot being presented as a Cold Crew expendable Kekr and at the last 5minutes he find humanity or downloads a soul or something and becomes Awesome Robobro

why does this confuse people, cold bitches do casual sex as well, if she was a softie she'd be emotional or shy about it

also I think David was just trying to ensure his own survival by helping Shaw

>3 sequels
>1 prequel out
>3 more prequels releasing soon
>still no resolution to the bonus situation

> needs to do complex geometry to be able to turn 90 degrees

Do you also run a command every time you put your left foot in front of your right foot?

Things a professional writers considers when deciding how characters should respond to a space ship falling out of the sky:

>The size of the ship
>Debris coming off the ship
>The natural expectations of a real person as to the likely movement of said ship
>The visual perspective of the characters (what they see as opposed to what the audience is seeing)
>The emotional state of the characters
>Do the characters have military training that might have prepared them to act coldly and rationally in this situation?
>The physical energy of the characters
>Human instinct
>The restriction of movement caused by wearing a space suit and helmet

Things a dumb fuck neckbeard armchair writer considers when deciding how characters should respond to a space ship falling out of the sky:

>it's sort of like donut shaped, didn't these characters ever drop a box of donuts on the floor before? xD
>their pseudo-intellectual, insecure lust to say "bad writing" several dozen times per day

>engineers seeded life on Earth

Wait, so let me get this straight. Engineers drink black goo when makes them dissolve and turn into the building blocks of life on our planet. First forms small prokaryotes, them more complex eukaryotes, then animals. All this happens over billions of years. Simple animals evolve into vertebrates into fish into amphibians into synapsids into mammals and finally into primates, apes, and finally humans. And after all that and 3 billion years of evolution starting from the simplest forms of life, how the FUCK did we end up magically looking exactly like shorter less bald versions of the engineers from 3 billion years ago?

>somehow knows for a fact that turning 90 degrees was gonna do it
>somehow knows exactly which way the thing is falling when it's behind him
>somehow being sure that changing direction will save him even though the shit arms are wide as hell and you've been running lengthwise for long enough that you might make it instead of turning

our conditions dictate how we evolve to look. The engis probably had a good idea how we'd end up looking anyway. it doesn't have to be descended from them

from the trailers, back then, i thought it will be a great scifi, exploring our creators. Sadly it turned to an flick in the Alien universe

Did you really just pretend you know the future of materials research for the next several tens of thousands of years or more and then call other people retards immediately after? You're not even smart enough to understand what you DON'T know, let alone what you do know. Incredible.

dude goo lmao

>>It featured no Aliens
damn. but i wanted that in the first too!

I really hated that they made Jesus an alien. What were they thinking?

me. but you plebs still like that rat thing xenomorph even after ~8 jumpscare horrors

At least it was more interesting than Covenant appears to be.
I have seen the Xenomorph countless times, and so I am more interested in the engineers and all the questions that Prometheus brought up.
Prometheus was too artsy though for the casual crowd, which is the target audience for Covenant.

Go watch the scene again, m8

There's a full minute between the time the ship hits the ground, and the point where it crushed Vickers. During that time, they repeatedly look back at the ship, giving them a full view of which direction it was falling in. Furthermore, thanks to the ship falling at a comically slow pace (hey look, another problem with the scene) there was plenty of time to run clear of the ship had they ran anywhere but the one direction it was falling, which they would have known because, again, they kept looking behind them and had a clear view of how wide the thing was.

There's no defense for this scene, nor this movie. You're either retarded or pretending to be retarded, in which case you're retarded.

>the crew are mostly worthless
this could be an answert why the map guys were so retarded. They should've mentioned in the movie at osme point, that those guys wasb't actually the bests in their jobs, but just whoever they could bait to this interresting looking shit job.

It wasn't falling though, it was rolling. Rolling very slowly because of its massive weight and the fact that the weight is disproportionately distributed at the "bottom" of the ship. The more you post the more ignorant you show you are. You're wrong about every single thing you've said.

They didn't need to "mention" it, they showed it very clearly through visual storytelling that the technical crew was not the cream of the crop. This was actually brilliantly done -- you knew everything you had to know about the crew just by the context, visuals, and bits of conversation.

Moreover the cylindrical ship has no middle. It's a bitten cheerio. So hanging a direct 90 degree left or right would likely save your life even IF it fell over. since, ya know, it's a giant bitten donut ship.

Pleb

This
Op:
>plot is my only criteria for movies
>thus Prometheus is bad

Dude lmao who cares if a game has good gameplay graphics is what matters haha right fellow redditor

It is fine. Especislly compared to the shit you guys praise sometimes like La La Land the The Nice Guys

You could say most of this about the other Alien movies too.

Not really.

This is why I am not excited for Covenant.

Paradise would have been wonderful but too many Alien nerds want endless reboots and sequels so he caved like an old man too tired to care and made a new generic Alien movie. We could have had something new.

Don't be surprised when it's okay at best. Prometheus was far better than most give it credit for. Now we have wheat farmers.

Nice opinion, but it's wrong.
Its the second best Alien film, behind Alien.

Most aesthetic film, captivating intrigue and atmosphere, comfy characters, and the Engineers angle was a brilliant add-on to a franchise plagued by mindless, idiotic spinoffs.

The zombie scene is a bit cringe, but the black-goo-biological-weapon to explain the Alien's perfected origins is compelling as fuck

>lack-goo-biological-weapon to explain the Alien's perfected origins is compelling as fuck
It's really not.

It actually is.

I think you will find that you are wrong

Except it isn't Prometheus 2. They literally had an entirely different script in mind and gave up on it after Prometheus didn't do well. Alien: Covenant is a newer script, much more akin to the old Alien movies. There will still be some minor Prometheus plot points in it but not much.

No u

Because they got stoned.

Cool opinion, but it was always black goo, back to the original film, they were always weapons housed in warheads-- this movie just delved into it in a pretty satisfying, open-ended way. But instead of making it a straight franchise film reboot with a generic open end, it had the balls to kill everybody off. Shit was desperate and intense, and their lives were basically meaningless in the face of this lovecraftian threat.

This film is great, as evidenced by the highly polarizing opinions on Sup Forums dating all the way back to its release. You're simply seeking to hate it.

>This film is great, as evidenced by the highly polarizing opinions on Sup Forums dating all the way back to its release.

>You're simply seeking to hate it.
Love it when plebs incapable of accepting people may disagree with them roll out this garbage.

Good God

Sup Forums has become so contrarian that it's contrarian against itself.

It's not even opinion either, it's a flat-out poor film.

People who like it are allowed to do so, but defending its many awful flaws is the realm of retards.

>that hivemind
This is the safest opinion to have on this board, and memeing away valid justifications only invalidates you faggots into those same mindless classifications that the trash of this website is famed for.

>see: Sup Forums, Sup Forums, etc

Congratulations for figuring out what the rest of the world knew 4 years ago

When somebody tells you "Everybody knows the sky is blue", do you respond "No I have proof that it's hot pink?".

Memes aren't an argument though, you faggots have just convinced yourselves that in your numbers, you're right.