Why don't American police officers just shoot people in the leg? They don't need to be that forceful

Why don't American police officers just shoot people in the leg? They don't need to be that forceful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gsCWK4XYHV8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because a firearm is a lethal weapon and is only to be discharged in a lethal manner.

It is reliable to kill, not reliable to wound, hence using it in an attempt to wound is excessive violence, likewise, it's not legal to shoot to warn.

This rule applies just as much to American Civilians as it does to American Police, you can go to prison for this shit.

>It is reliable to kill, not reliable to wound, hence using it in an attempt to wound is excessive violence
But taking one's life isn't?

>This rule applies just as much to American Civilians as it does to American Police, you can go to prison for this shit.
Yet you never hear of police officers going to prison for taking the lives of black men who aren't committing a crime worthy of death.

You don't use partial response to a lethal threat. Every police force teaches this

The Alton Sterling shooting wasn't a lethal threat but lethal force was still used.

Two posts in and you lay bare your agenda. Your first question was why don't the police shoot people in the leg. Now you are trying to shoehorn Sterling in. What are you really asking?

Try to take a shot to a leg while you have adrenaline going. There's a reason why they're trained to shoot for center mass

I'm talking about in principle, because that is what OP wanted to know.

A shot to the leg is a shot to the leg. Other countries shoot people in the leg rather than jumping straight to lethal force.

other countries are shit.

>Boo Hoo!! Niggers should be allowed to do anything they want!

Cops were called because your little innocent porch monkey was waving a gun around and threatening people.
Then he decided to fight the cops.

Sounds like a lethal threat to me.

lawsuits

>Cops were called because your little innocent porch monkey was waving a gun around and threatening people.
Source?

>But taking one's life isn't?
If you're shooting a gun at someone, it's at the point that you've accepted that you're probably going to kill the person you're shooting, and that you feel your life, or someone else's) is in danger of their aggression.

A firearm is a very effective way of stopping a threat, and the primary goal is to stop an attacker.

>Yet you never hear of police officers going to prison
I never said there wasn't cronyism or corruption in police forces.

>for taking the lives of black men who aren't committing a crime worthy of death.
Oh boy, here we go.
I don't know anything about the this last one, but usually when someone is shot by police, it's not for being caught thieving or whatever, it's them trying to resist arrest and a fight starting.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of shitty cops, or that innocents aren't harmed, but you're a fucking idiot if you think every time a cop shoots someone they're 100% innocent and it was unprovoked.

Who gives a fuck about Alton? Your question was about why you don't shoot for the legs, and you were answered.

>A firearm is a very effective way of stopping a threat
That's true, but it shouldn't be their first resort.

Google it pussy boy.

I didn't realize these two were both OP.

This turk has got it right. You have your agenda. Why not just ask the question: was the shooting legit in this instance? It's a fair question. I don't know enough about the case to answer it. You believe otherwise, so make your case.

Hitting the leg only stops the movement of a person. Let me put this in an analogy for you.

Does shooting a tank in the treads stop the tank for alerting other tanks, shooting you, or in the event the shot doesn't completely disable its tacks, start to reverse?

Does shooting a person in the legs stop them from, shooting you? Screaming "AWW SHIT NIGGUH ITS ONE OF THEM NU-POWLEEES THAT SHOOT IN THE LEG"? Running away?

Now a lawyer will sue the police.
"I can't make love to muh darlin." Is legit, I know this for a fact.
"I can't work anymore, pay me." Because you did your best to preserve his life, he got a bone infection from the GSW and had to have the leg amputated.
"RAYSIS COPS SHOT THAT BOY IN THE FEMORAL ARTERY/NERVE CLUSTERS" He's dead anyways. Hope the blood he pumped out wasn't more poz and toxic than a pride parade. If he's not dead, electric stabbing pain for the rest of your life is a good way to get disability.

The best part will be this youtube.com/watch?v=gsCWK4XYHV8 turns into "criminal draws gun on approaching police officer with trauma bandage".

Criminal lives matter at the first charge, that don't after the second.

b8

No, they don't.

If you were a cop, you would know that the chance of hitting someone's limb is much lower than the chance of hitting centre mass, especial while the target is in motion. In life or death situations, the police - and this is true worldwide - must take every precaution possible to protect the lives of citizens and themselves. Failure to aim for centre mass will result in the deaths of innocents. You lose the claim to innocence when you act against an officer or a citizen with clear lethal intent. Therefore everyone else's life warrants a greater right to protection. Get it?

you can but it also means you can miss and the bullet might richochet into someones eye

1.) It is exceedingly difficult to accurately hit a limb in any situation, especially in a combat scenario. The reason why officers, and indeed any trained personnel, are taught to shoot for center mass is because of this. Despite what you see in mass media, it is very difficult to hit a moving target, and it is harder still to hit a constantly moving limb even moreso. Is it possible to hit arms and legs? Yes. Is it something anyone should ever bother doing? No. The only time I would ever shoot outside of body mass is the head. And that is after shooting the center mass and thus slowing the target.

2.) Following from 1: In America, and in most areas that allow for gun ownership, the use of a firearm in self-defense constitutes a situation in which the defender felt their life was in imminent danger. Thusly, if a man is capable of making an accurate shot to wound, it can be used against them in a court of law.

3.) There are arteries in the legs, and if they are hit by gunfire the person injured has a very real chance of dying very, very quickly. Contrast that with the torso, which of course has very important organs but more general mass that can be hit without leading to a definite fatality.

How well does this work then?
How much are other police officers held accountable for their fired shots?

When you discharge a firearm, the bullet has to go somewhere, if you shoot at the legs, and miss, that bullet will keep going, maybe it'll ricochet off the pavement or go through the floor somewhere where you don't know.
Maybe the bullet will go through the leg and keep going, that's absolutely not unheard of.

Furthermore, a leg shot isn't a guaranteed stop in the least, you shoot someone in the leg, it might hurt, but with enough adrenaline it won't incapacitate, they might not even notice it. Meanwhile, a shot to the chest has a much greater potential to stop, and is MUCH easier to do, particularly under stress.

And again, a lethal weapon is not to be discharged in a manner which does not call for lethal force.

Again, not saying that lots of American cops aren't shoddy, but you also have to judge this on a case by case basis.

I think a lot of cops are just lazy in that usually the presentation of a firearm is enough to ensure compliance, because nobody wants to get shot, fuck that, but then comes a situation where the presentation of a firearm DOESN'T result in compliance, and now they've escalated the situation to drawn weapons and it goes from there.

>There are arteries in the legs, and if they are hit by gunfire the person injured has a very real chance of dying very, very quickly
So many people don't understand this.
The femur artery will pump a LOT of blood if punctured, this kind of wound is considered a serious medical emergency, and shooting the legs has a serious risk of causing this.

Said differently, if officers bring non-lethal force against lethal threats, more cops and bystanders will end up dead than if the officers had used lethal force. And the ultimate goal of the police is to protect the innocent. Therefore, when confronted with lethal threats to themselves or the public, they have an obligation to respond with lethal force to maximize public safety. They have an obligation to shoot for centre mass.

You have to agree with that. And that's why that principle is taught in every cop college.

>The femur artery will pump a LOT of blood if punctured, this kind of w
30 seconds till you are in show in normal situations. can be less with higher blood pressure. It's the hardest GSW to fix. You need several Israeli bandages and quick clot to stabilize enough to evac.

Can't wait to get poz blood on your uniform now can you officer Normie?

show-shock.

This swede has got it.

Leg shots may not incapacitate, leaving the threat intact
Leg shots may miss and hit innocent bystanders. Even if they hit, they can pass through more easily than the torso, exit, and still hit innocent bystanders.

Cops really do have a duty to shoot for centre mass.

1. Much smaller target that's harder to hit than just going for center mass

2. Shooting them in the leg isn't going to make them go down right away, the adrenaline will keep them going for a few seconds more since you're doing less damage to their body overal

3. You could hit the femoral artery and kill them anyway

4. When you make the decision to shoot someone, you always must assume that you're shooting to kill. If you don't want to kill someone, don't use a gun.

>There are arteries in the legs, and if they are hit by gunfire the person injured has a very real chance of dying very, very quickly. Contrast that with the torso, which of course has very important organs but more general mass that can be hit without leading to a definite fatality.

I did not know this. You guys are a fount of information

>You could hit the femoral artery and kill them anyway
That's in their thigh. You could shoot the rest of their leg.

Even harder, and we've already discussed why this is a bad idea.

It was b8, but it yielded some of the best posts that I've read in Sup Forums in a while. Very informative stuff. 5/5

Is it bait time already?

>aim for the shins, even if he's sprinting at you with a knife.

No

You're forgetting the dindu suing because "excessive force" now means he can't walk, can't fuck his 400 pound landwhale, or live the same.

You're also forgetting the dindu firing back as he's on the ground.

Inside the leg very close to the saggital line senpai. Open any military manual and they outline it because its a common death for soldiers.

Please, keep making a smaller target for police to shoot. Also make it move and inside of baggy clothes that can confuse the officer to the size of it. On top of that, thigh shots are now fatphobic, you have to shoot the ankle instead.

You can very easily die from a gunshot wound to the leg if you hit the artery. If the officer fears for his life expect it to be met with lethal force.

If you're suggesting that we disarm police then someone needs to post the gif of the unarmed French officer getting executed while begging for mercy.

>thigh shots are now fatphobic, you have to shoot the ankle instead.

>Implying that ankles aren't fat in America

UGH! IGNORANT!

You have to shoot the earlobe you shitlord

They have nightsticks, pepper spray and tasers for non lethal force.

Guns are for killing.
You're supposed to use the right tool for the job.

>bullet goes clean through his shin muscles
>deflects off a manhole lid and hits a kid in the eye

Could be worse.

Aim for the bone or foot then you racist!!

Yup.

How do you know all this? Are you in law enforcement? Friends in law?

Eh, it's pretty reliable to wound. It's happened before.

Exactly true.

I think OP has been thoroughly buried by this point.

If you were an anime-level marksman that could reliably hit the lower legs of someone charging to kill you, you might as well just shoot the wrists of either hand. It's about as hard and probably more effective.

But no one can do that and that's dumb. So don't do that in a life or death situation unless you want people to laugh like this at how dumb you were.

>in the movies ppl shoot legs from 6 miles away! Y don't cops do dat?!

Because you'll probably hit one of the arteries and the person will just bleed out and die the same way. It's a slower and more painful death.

Besides some people can sustain a deadly wound like that and still stab you.

If an officer deems that it is time to fire his weapon, he shoots to kill center mass, this isn't hollywood.

If a cop wants to wound, he can use other tools. See this

I'm a big sperg who loves everything guns and hope to someday become an American so I can collect lots of fun and interesting guns.

That yours?

Lol nice pic.

Cool story bro, hope you get in. I guess guns are banned in Sweden

People have also survived falling out of airplanes up in the air, doesn't mean we don't have parachutes anymore.

Guns are good at killing, so you don't use them for wounding.

God, I wish. Not that the C96 is so amazing.

It's not that they're illegal, there's lots of people who hunt here, but gun culture here is totally cucked, you need a "valid permit" and shit, self defense is basically verboten (it's bizarre how many rights a perpetrator has over his victims in court here), no carry, etc.

she dun kilt da fuq outta dat ground yo

Because letting the fucker live after shooting it, does more harm than good. Suing people is quite a trend in your homeland. Not to mention after it gets several millions of $$$ it gets to walk free and continue its criminal activity.

Shooting someone in the leg is lethal force, you idiot. Suppose you hit an artery or you hit the crotch: the guy dies in a couple of minutes at most.

Funny, here police goes for legs if usage of firearm is needed.