/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

/r/ing the google drive folder some user put together that has language books for almost every single language. For some reason I can only find some beginner's latin textbook in my "shared with me"

Literally third link in the first post

Thank you. Now I'll be able to understand English.

Someone really needs to clean up the /lang/ first few replies. Put them in a pastebin or something and allow the first post to have a bit of creativity and variety like sino and Japanese thread. It's a mess that everyone just ignores.

Check the last thread, a different pic was put up and it died after 17 replies lmao

Pa gdje si ti srećo, koje jezike učiš, dragi?

The girl I'm tutoring in Spanish is getting better

Malditas sean las mujeres, mi amigo. Ellas sólo dejan un rastro de corazones rotos y la desesperación

Anything french for portuguese-br speaker???

Unsurprisingly, the thread died

Eh, it happens. The thread before last was bumped just before oblivion dozens of times too, the last one just got unlucky.

Eto nemski i švenski. Nemski do B2 doguro, sad treba progurat dalje (jebeni vokabular nije normalan), a švedski tek počeo. Ti?

Neće još, ne vodi ti brigu!

Yo también soy una mujer, kek

to the croatianons; do you all know some Croatian media(Media from other parts of ex-yugoslavia is fine too)
I'm learning Croatian/Serbo-croatian/whatever and i'm struggling to find good media and stuff

Midly interested in the language too. Mind sharing which sources you've been using?

What do you mean by media? I mean I could link you to our newsportals and shit, but not sure that's what you want. Name something specific and I'll have a look into it.

Music, shows, movies
I have 2 books:
The first one is "Dobrodošli" and only after i bought it i realized it's a school book, but i've been able to use it somewhat fine.But it's expensive and you can probably get a more useful book for a lower price.

The second is "Bosanski Jezik" it explains everything just fine and it has nice dialogues but it has no answers for the excercises, it's also super Bosnian so if you dislike Bosnia it wouldn't recommend it otherwise it's decent

bump

Bump

Ggghh

J'écrivais et écoutais en français pendant les cinq derniers jours .. constamment...
J'ai presque fini Le Petit Prince..
et Pimsleur...
et Michel Thomas...
Je commence enfin à comprendre...
Je deviens... Le Français

....bientôt

What do you think would be easier to learn for an English speaker: Italian or French? I'd like to reach at least B2 in about three years or so in either one of these languages.

Is he /ourguy/

The difference in difficulty is neglectible. The language you are more interested in will be easier. Just go with your gut feeling.

In general French is way more relevant, having a presence on almost every continent while Italian is only spoken is Italy, the smaller parts of Switzerland and some micronations but this shouldn't deter you if you are more into Italian.

Why is his English so off? Is it autism?

Worse, he is a proto-leaf.

Thanks friendo. I'm more interested in Italian but for most jobs in the field I'm interested in (compling) they require proficiency in a "major European language." Would Italian be considered a major European language, or would this only describe French and German?

English is a major European language. So you can check that off

Well, people like to trash Italy for its structural problems but it still is a first-world economy with a population the size of Britain and a very high standard of living but so is France and French really dwarves Italian's global significance being projected to boast at least 700-800 million speakers going by current demographical developments, especially in Africa.

For example only French, English and German are the working languages of the European commission and French is the only working language of the UN secretariat alongside English.

But I'm not a fan of recommending people languages due to numbers like this. If it's for the job, and the job only, I'd choose French but if you already know that you'd prefer Italian beyond that then I'd choose Italian.

Languages are only as useful to you as you decide them to be to you. Learning a foreign language isn't only about sitting down and studying but also about putting yourself in situations, consciously, where you'd use your language.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant another major European language other than English

Thanks for the thoughtful response. After considering what you said, I've decided that I'll probably pick Italian. The truth is that I really have no desire to speak to French people or leafs. Even though Italy may be insignificant compared to other European countries, it's first-world so I'm sure I'll be alright.

If you are studying a language you have virtually no interest in than you are less like to succeed, more likely to burn out compared to studying a language you have a genuine interest in.

So it's better to go with your gut-feeling if you don't have ironclad habit formation skills and discipline or don't have the ability to 'induce' interest in yourself(you do that by retroactively looking for some element affiliated to the language that interests you after picking the language, I actually still recommend that with every language), though motivation isn't even enough for most people. Discipline beats motivation but obsession beats discipline. You should be aware of that.

Though for some people, being close and meeting native speakers of certain languages can be incredibly motivating and this is less likely to occur with more minor languages.

Yeah, good decision, go with what you're passionate about. Still.. vous devriez apprendre le français quelque jour.

Or, once you learn Italian, French should be easy to transition to later, especially since the vocabulary is 90% the same. Spanish may be even more so.

Romance languages are amazing things.

Oh, and 45% of all English words are of French origin, so you may be able to snag a couple more languages once you're really proficient in your one.

>If you are studying a language you have virtually no interest in than you are less like to succeed, more likely to burn out compared to studying a language you have a genuine interest in.

I forgot to add that this means you are more likely to learn neither language. By picking a language you are genuinely interested in you at least have a decent shot to succeed.

Not sure, music is a meme here, honestly. You could listen to Thompson lol, he sings about Croatia and history.

Regarding shows we have "Večernja škola", basically evening school, and it's some various shit they talk about every time, not even sure.

Movies, we really don't have any that aren't as old as a bible or from Yugoslavia. Most recent ones (and I can count them on the fingers) are pretty shit. "Metastaze" is decent, not ancient, and basically deals with hooligans, drugs and shit like that, basically every day life of a lot of people without future prospects.

Can't think of much else, there isn't that much honestly. Sretno s učenjem

should've gone with french

I'm an Anglo. I don't learn other languages. I lake other people learn mine.

I'll check those things out. thanks

>ne slušaju thompsona
Samo dijaspora, bajo moj

My dick also agrees with French ass

Bump

Njemački, tek počeo, i ruski, ide dobro.

>one month into my semester abroad
>picking up vocabulary faster than before
>reading speed in target language is increasing
>can communicate with professors and other students
At the end of the day, I'm glad I decided to do this.

Viel Glück beim lernen, du wirst's brauchen.

Must be fun being monolingual you dingus. It's not an achievement lmao.