Interstellar - plot hole?

What the fuck was Nolan thinking with this?

What did he do for all those years? How did he not lose his mind?

Make this thread

Toured with his band Death Grips and dropped sick albums

¨The immense time slippage from the Gargantua black hole causes 23 years, 4 months and 8 days to pass while Cooper and Brand are on Miller's. Although Romilly does use the hyper-sleep chambers a few times to catch up to their return, he mentions to Brand that he "did not want to dream his life away", indicating he spent some of the time active on the ship, enough to demonstrate the age evidenced by his appearance.¨

Dindu nuffin.

be more subtle next time faggot

Mc ride?

how is that a plot hole? do you even know what a plot hole is?

lolz

Masturbated alot

he saw footage

The situation on Earth made little sense to me.
I get that there is a famine, but why does that mean that the government is supressing science and pushing everyone into becoming farmers?
Throwing more farmers at the problem won't solve anything and is pointless since thanks to automation and other shit, you only need a small fraction of the population to actually do farming. Having more scientists and engineers would be a GOOD thing since you could have the robots do the farming much more efficiently. I get the government thinking that spending money on space travel is a waste, but to think that all science and engineering is a waste is just dumb.

Lots of people on earth spend time alone in isolation for longer than 23 years without going insane. It probably had an adverse affect on his mind, but not to the point of insanity.

He probably just read books and watched anime or whatever.

TRIPLE SIX FIVE FORKED TONGUE

>What did he do for all those years? How did he not lose his mind?

He saw footage and stayed noided.

i agree with you, but it's not a real narrative stretch, mate. i mean, look at our (USA's) current administration (executive and legislative branches, primarily). i wouldn't put it pass them to react assbackwardly if a similar famine or environmentally detrimental catastrophe were to happen, like, say, an acceleration in global fucking warming.

He says he mostly was in cryogenic sleep during it

*glass breaks*

I think there's more to it but they don't really give us much info.

As for the farming oart yeah that really makes no sense. Already today farmers make up a pretty small portion of the population with a single farmer able to farm a couple thousand acres on his own. Automation which today were already very close to having(lots of prototypes made) would allow a single farmer to monitor hundreds or even thousands of autonomous tractors which could cover hundreds of thousands of acres

i think it was kind of like telling us we'd be fine in a nuclear attack if we duck&cover under our school/work desks.

also because of how pervasive the blight was, maybe they needed massive amounts of farming to yield enough good crop.

suppressing science is a good way to keep the populace chill and avoid a panic, whether that panic is incited by natural disaster (blight) or energy companies fucking things up

Contemplated the bonus situation

Yeah that was pretty stupid

"lol why would we need scientists who could fix the issue with the earth or even like create space stations where we could grow our crops on an artificial atmosphere? nah we need more farmers senpai

>also because of how pervasive the blight was, maybe they needed massive amounts of farming to yield enough good crop.
But like I said, thanks to automation you don't need a bunch of farmers to do massive amounts of farming. It's why in America only like 2% of the population is a farmer even though we produce more food than we actually need.

*blocks your path*
SURRENDER YOUR WHEAT HUMAN

Pardon my ignorance, why exactly did the blight lead to a bunch of dust again?

GOT THE NASTY IN MY TAXI

>Automation which today were already very close to having(lots of prototypes made) would allow a single farmer to monitor hundreds or even thousands of autonomous tractors which could cover hundreds of thousands of acres
Even worse, the movie actually showed this. The MC and his family ran this huge farm by themselves with the help of super-advanced self-driving trucks.

It probably killed a lot of plant life in general, which means soil loses its organic component and anchorage and dries up.

Wasn't explained in the film but the blight virus breaks down cellulose or something. Crops literally turn to dust

No plants to keep the soil together with their roots.

It is pretty weird that the cause of the future apocalypse had nothing whatsoever to do with something that's the humans fault like most movies these days do. And yet they still tried to push an environmentalist message about the "waste" of humans in the past even though that had nothing to do with the super blight virus.

>And yet they still tried to push an environmentalist message about the "waste" of humans in the past even though that had nothing to do with the super blight virus.
I don't think that was meant to be an actual message of the film. It was a propaganda stance by the fictional government to encourage people to become farmers and not scientists.

One thing that the movie doesn't really touch upon. What happened to all the other animals? Unlike humans, most of them wouldn't be able to adapt to this ecological disaster. They mention that there are no hot dogs, so presumably pigs are gone.
Only sealife would be safe.

That's exactly what I meant. Sure you still need someone to do maintenance or more likely a bunch of people for massive farms but you don't need to be forcing every single fucking person in the country/planet to farm. There's not anywhere near enough fertile land to do that today anyway and we're talking about a future where everything has gone to shit so there's likely even less fertile land to go around

>to encourage people to become farmers and not scientists
Which as described above, makes no sense.

Of course it doesn't. People who believe that (like the son) or push that (like the school) are the main antagonists after all.

GET SO FUCKING DARK IN HERE

Hotdogs are made official more then just pigs. As for sea life that really depends if the virus can also take out water plants. In the sea the bottom of the food chain is still plants so without them the entire food chain would collapse just like on land

Why did everyone treat the son like shit? He was such a fucking afterthought in his father's eyes. You can see how emotional he is, saying goodbye to his daughter, it's like his son doesn't even exist.

WE

That would make a mean transformer.

Did he even ask about his son when he got back at the end? I don't remember, and the ending was shit anyway. He should have stayed trapped in the black hole.

DONT ARGUE WITH ME IM BASHING NOLAN

go back to Sup Forums or reddit

Again, a plothole is an action or a line that contradicts another part of the movie. A plothole is not something that you didn't understand.

REKT

GET GET GET GET GOT GOT GOT GOT
BLOOD RUSH TO MY HEAD LIT HOT LOCK POPPIN OFF THE FUCKIN BLOCK KNOT CLOCKIN WRIST SLIT WATCH BENT THROUGH BOT

So u dont age in cryo sleep?

Fucking come a part in here.

I BREAK MIRRORS WITH MY FACE

He went back to Earth and chilled for a bit and then came back after calculating how long it would take them to return. He actually solved the blight problem without any of the other characters helping.

>"We need the gravity equation, we're running out of time!"
>"Lol nevermind, we have spacestations that generate their own atmosphere, we've dicked for the past 60 years"

I get that they needed the gravity equation to get them into space but couldn't they live in these stations while they were on earth? Couldn't they grow food in them? Or simply just make buildings that have their own biospheres.

Pretty simple solution desu. Obviously doesnt have to be this big but yeah.

Yeah, I'm surprised they never tried something like this.

Most of those "plants" in the sea are algae, a completely separate kingdom of life from plants. They would likely not be affected.

>did not want to dream his life away

what THE FUCK did he mean by this? wouldn't the hyper sleep chambers preserve your life?

Still, the ecological catstrophe on the surface would have repercussions for sea creatures that somehow interact with it as part of the food chain.
Plus, all the trees and shit dying would lead to significant changes in the climate and the wind, which would affect the sea badly too.

I'M IN YOUR AREA

does sleeping prevent your aging?

That's not what a plot-hole is you fucking idiot.

WUZ