/who/ - Doctor Who General

Female Splink Edition

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12456589
youtube.com/watch?v=nQiyv9xtnQU
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/837728230517919744
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who is this female splinker? Looks like my Nan.

Full length trailer tomorrow.

When is the show coming back again? Next month?

BEST CAPALDI ERA MONSTERS?
strawpoll.me/12456589
strawpoll.me/12456589
strawpoll.me/12456589

23rd May

>strawpoll.me/12456589
I voted Boneless, hoping those are the Flatline guys

Awww, dammit

I voted Fisher King. I don't care that he didn't get to shoot anyone, he was intimidating asf, had a cool design, and voice. I want to see more of his species in the future.

April 15th

are you sure user?

>When is the show coming back again? Next month?
15 April.

Because Moffat thinks the Yanks will all need a good way to relax after a stressful day rushing to the only open post office within miles to mail in their taxes, because he saw a movie from 1985 when it actually was like that.

Why not start airing it next saturday? the vast majority of the eps are done. Hell eps 1-5 have been completely finished for months.

Only joking. 15th April.

just saying there are multiple poll options so you can vote for all the ones that were good

>tfw I don't know who any of these are

>Why not start airing it next saturday? the vast majority of the eps are done. Hell eps 1-5 have been completely finished for months.
Because that's not how TV scheduling works. You don't just say "Hey, it's broadcast time, which shows already sent their tapes in?"

Was it autism?

Paul Kaye was wasted in that role. He had, what, two scenes with dialogue?

wtf are you talking about

Um… about you being an idiot. Sorry you didn't get that because you're an idiot, but I don't know what I can do about that.

Shoal of the Winter Harmony are Comfy Villains who agrees?

He was in some deleted scenes on the S9 bluray.

That scene was actually really good, should not have been deleted.

ok moffat

less comfy than slitheens but cooler than slitheens

Yes, the show (unironically) needs big floating brains every few years, and they were one of the best ones in the history of Who.

So is basically every humanoid species Rassilon's sperm baby?

Did Moffat make a continuity error in Deep Breath? Vastra calls the Doctor a Monkey, I thought time Lords weren't primates but repto-mammalians.

Depends on whether you listen to Zagreus or read the novels or read the other novels. But one way or the other, Rassilon did a thing and therefore humanoids.

Yeah, but 12 doesnt really have many great monsters anyways.

That's a lot better

yes

They should seriously make that canon. The whole "aliens who look human" thing could finally be put to rest in an interesting way.

My favorite version is the one without morphic resonances or seeding or anything, just Rassilon going out and exterminating the ancestors of all non-Gallifreyan-looking intelligent life forms that could conceivably threaten the Time Lords in the future.

It fits in nice with the Time Lords fucking up over and over again leading to the LGTW, because he left the Kaleds alone because they looked just like him until Davros got involved.

>he left the Kaleds alone because they looked just like him until Davros got involved
According to Lance Parkin, he probably left them alone because their ultimate form, the Klade, were humanoid again, so he just missed the Daleks in the middle.

I don't know if that's better or worse, but I wish Lance had gotten a chance to develop the Klade more so we could find out.

At least 12 will have faced a lot of the big iconic monsters and villains: Daleks, Cybermen, Davros, the Master, Zygons, Ice Warriors and Rassilon.

i liked rassilon in hell bent

And even Silurians, if you count being friends with one.

But still no Krotons. Or Quarks.

Ditto Sontarans with Strax.

Doesnt everyone get to though?

Eccleston didn't get any either, other than Daleks.

OFFICIAL OBJECTIVE NUWHO RANKINGS

Capaldi Era>Eccleston Era>Tennant Era>Smith Era

youtube.com/watch?v=nQiyv9xtnQU

Well, I guess the Slitheen are iconic for how bad they were.
Matt has the Silence, idunno how iconic they are though.

So, am I forgetting anyone, or are Autons and Ogrons, and maybe the Rani, the only ones he's missing?

I mean, there are a few others who appeared twice, or had a couple cameos or mentions after their appearance, but only Big Finish thinks, say, the Drashigs or the Wirrrn are a serious iconic presence in classic Who.

Ogrons, iconic, kek

sucks the writing in matts era got worse while he got better as an actor

He got the plastic monsters who's name escape me

He got Daleks, Angels and Cybermen though

Maybe Weeping Angels although they were in Hell Bent if you count cameos.

I hope the next Doctor doesn't meet the Daleks til their second series. Same with Cybermen and the Master. Give 'em a little break.

New Missy promo.

fake news!

>mary-poppins-disney-2.jpg

>So, am I forgetting anyone
Valeyard?

>Weeping Angels
Weren't user and user talking just about iconic classic-Who monsters, not iconic nuWho monsters? Because otherwise he's missing pretty much all of them, other than the Ood and Judoon cameos in FtR.

>Valeyard?
I guess so, at last on the same level as Ogrons or the Rani.

Also the Black (and White) Guardian, too.

OK, so my memory isn't what it used to be. Still, Capaldi did face a pretty good percentage of the iconic classic enemies (is that what we were talking about? Now I remember, a sieve, that's the thing my memory's like), for whatever that's worth.

wait, did i miss a memo?

how are we defining iconic? cos i'd hardly say the ogrons, the rani and the fecking valeyard are iconic

>cos i'd hardly say the ogrons, the rani and the fecking valeyard are iconic
But other than the Autons, that's about as iconic as you get for classic monsters that 12 missed, which is kind of the point.

Except for the Black Guardian, who's probably a bigger deal than the Ogrons and I forgot him, but even he isn't that big a deal.

12 didn't really miss any iconic monsters, cos he hit the big 3 (daleks, cybermen, master). the rest are second-rate tier and lower (stuff like the ice warriors)

the big 4, cos Davros deserves to be in there

is it pal or paul

>12 didn't really miss any iconic monsters, cos he hit the big 3 (daleks, cybermen, master). the rest are second-rate tier and lower (stuff like the ice warriors)
I think we were talking about the second-tier stuff—the OP mentioned Zygons, Ice Warriors, and Rassilon Rassilon. I think Silurians, Sontarans, and Autons are on the same tier. Maybe the Rani, the Black Guardian, Omega (oops, another one I forgot…), the Valeyard and the Ogrons (depending on how far you want to stretch things) are too. But beyond that you get into only-Gary-Russell-cares territory.

>only-Gary-Russell-cares territory
And JNT, and RT "Macra" D…

>24 votes

/who/ is shrinking

Voted the Boneless, because was intrigued by the idea of a 2D creature trying to be 3D, and would like to see them return in the show.

Almost went for the Veil, but didn't because that creature is the Doctor's personal imaginary phobia and should remain so.

Silurians? Rly? Before they came back in 2010, I don't think anyone gave any shit about them.

I suppose I'd call them "vaguely memorable" instead of "iconic/near-iconic". As in your average viewer might recall that cliffhanger where the Sea Devils came out of the sea but that wouldn't make them iconic. Just that moment is memorable.

Loved the obvious BDSM hint in that scene.

>Silurians? Rly? Before they came back in 2010, I don't think anyone gave any shit about them.
And you think the Zygons, who appeared a grand total of one time in the classic series, are more iconic?

Seriously, who do _you_ think should be on a list with Zygons, Ice Warriors, and Rassilon?

Also, remember that the whole point of bringing back classic foes is entirely the nerd fan audience. Casual viewers don't care about Sontarans or "ooh, Mondasian Cybermen" any more than they care about Macra.

>obvious BDSM
In a show that regularly got away with having Yates, Romana, or Adric tied to an altar or suspended from leather straps in the 70s with Mary Whitehouse watching.

>And you think the Zygons, who appeared a grand total of one time in the classic series, are more iconic?
I don't remember saying that. And as it goes, no, I don't.

The big 3 or 4 are the ones I consider iconic. The rest are just either vaguely memorable (hell, even the general public probably remember the one with the giant maggots more than they remembered the Zygons) or average at best.

League table of iconic Doctor Who monsters/villains:

1. Daleks
2. Cybermen
3. The Master
4. Davros
5. Weeping Angels
6. Sontarans
7. Autons
8. Ice Warriors
9. Zygons
10. Silurians
11. Rassilon
12. Omega
13. The Rani
14. Valeyard
15. Black Guardian
16. Sea Devils
17. Ogrons

Is this about right? Any I'm missing?

>I don't remember saying that. And as it goes, no, I don't.
It was pretty clear what the OP was talking about with his list, so I answered him based on what he was obviously talking about. Should I have instead called him an idiot for using the wrong word?

You sound like you're trying to get into an argument with yourself.

None of them beyond #5 or 6 are iconic.

If you're going to include the Weeping Angels, I think the Slitheen and the Silents have to be in there. Certainly memorable, and had some impact on pop culture, even if you don't like them.

I was trying to have a friendly discussion with two or three other anons, you're the one who jumped in with "Rly?"

And the Ood.

No way are the fucking Ogrons more iconic than the Ood.

Damn. I forgot about the Silence.

Excuse my ignorance and youth, but who the fuck is Mary Whitehouse?

Shame he hasn't met an Ood.

Yeah, the Ood too. My memory really is failing.

>Excuse my ignorance and youth, but who the fuck is Mary Whitehouse?
Mary Whitehouse was an art teacher turned moral crusader who claimed that sex and violence in children's television were the reason for social permissiveness, atheism, anarchy in the streets, and dogs and cats living together. She particularly hated everything on the BBC, and especially particularly Doctor Who.

Somewhere early this century, someone asked her about the bit in the Bible telling us not to follow female teachers, and her head exploded. But back in the 70s and 80s, the BBC really were afraid of her riling the public up against them.

12 has had a pretty good run so far:

Adventures with UNIT
Met the Master - the first female incarnation
Joined in the 50th anniversary
Met Davros as a kid
Stormed Skaro which housed classic Daleks
About to meet the first female Ice Warrior
Found Gallifrey
Met the Cybermen
Met Rassilon
Bumped into a Weeping Angel
Met Zygons
Met Strax, Vastra and Jenny
Went inside a fucking Dalek
Met Santa, kek
Got the last River Song adventure

What else?

He didn't get to directly meet any past incarnations of himself on TV like 3, 5, 6, 10 and 11 did.

But then he may still get that when he's a past incarnation meeting even older incarnations, like 2 and 4 (and 3 and 10 again).

His era had the first gender & race regeneration change, as well as all three of his finales being directed by a woman.

Hello Gallifrey Base!

First ever 'solo episode'
His era had a scene showing pre-AUC stuff (in Listen)

Not a bad era all things considered

>the BBC really were afraid of her riling the public up against them
Or maybe more afraid of her doxxing them or harassing them, as she did to Hugh Greene, or suing them, as when she won the only case of Blasphemous Libel Against the Queen's Church in QE2's reign against a gay magazine I forget the name of.

>His era had the first gender & race regeneration change
Doesn't getting excited for that kind of miss the point of Moffat trying to establish that it's a perfectly normal occurrence among Gallifreyans and not something to get all excited for or against?

Household name confirmed:
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/837728230517919744

I mean, I see your point but yes it's also something people can get excited by cos it's the first time it's happened on screen and it's just nice to be able to see it have happened

>Went inside a fucking Dalek

Not necessarily. He just means he tries to cast the right people for the parts. Hopefully he holds back on stunt or gimmicky casting, shit like Nardole won't happen in his era thank fuck

>not liking based nardole

You know what I meant. 12 got to wander around in a live fucking Dalek. 1, Ian and Clara just got into their casings either for shits and giggles or to control the machine

m8 does anyone like nardole

like seriously

I'm the Doctor, by the way!

people with taste do

>He just means he tries to cast the right people for the parts.
Honestly, it can be read either way. I don't know based on this short quote whether he means a household name, or a good actor. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I think the only people who know for sure which one he meant as soon as they read the quote are people like Girly Letters who are desperately hoping for some particular person who happens to be a name actor and will take anything they can get as confirmation.

well, shit, dr who has to cast a black actor now otherwise isis is doctor who's fault

But Nardole actually turned out to be cool.

Girly Letters is going to explode when they inevitably don't cast whoever she has at the top of her wishlist

kek

kek

whew lads

Girly letters will just whine about whine males as she usually does.

>Rasheed

Lol you know he's not talking about black actors. Give me a thousand John Boyegas over this creep anyday.

The best part about Nardole is imagining the conversation between Matt Lucas and David Walliams.

>David, guess what! I'm going to be a regular companion next season!
>Well, that's great. I mean, all that work, and pretending to be friends with Mark Gatiss, and I successfully got my best friend to be a regular on my favorite show. I'm happy for you!
>I get the feeling you're a little resentful.
>Why would I be resentful? My best friend—not myself, mind you, but my best friend—gets to cstar on my favorite show—not his, mind you. What could be better?
>Look, David, I was going to invite you to the shooting for the first production block, but…
>Wait, no! I don't know why you think I'm being sarcastic. Can I meet Capaldi? Will he give me an autograph?