Is it unfilmable?

Is it unfilmable?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikinews.org/wiki/Peter_Jackson_banned_from_working_with_New_Line
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, thankfully.

Maybe a several seasons long "historical" documentary with lots of narration and commentary.

This is a bible ripoff.

HBO miniseries is the only way to do it justice

some of it

some of the stories like beren & luthien, the children of hurin, the fall of gondolin etc are perfectly filmable as standalone movies

Peter Jackson has stated he wants to make at least another three Tolkien films.

What else is left for him to do except this?

The appendices from RotK

Hollywood will find a way.

They would need a huge budget to do it justice though, even for HBO.

No.

Wrong.

The thing which makes this book "unfilmable" is the people it would be aimed at, the people who read it want to watch it, but that was the case for LOTR also but we got something which is barely canon, because the masses do not want to watch the actual source (we do), but you average user just wants to watch a fun movie, not a brooding, philosophical work revolving around a fantasy world.

Tolkien wrote no parallels, but people will make them in their minds because they are unable to not do so. They will automatically see the religious themes and write it off as such.

in short, the people who have read and loved The Silmarillion are such a niche market that there will never be a close adaptation of the source. Assuming Chris ever sells the rights.

Anything is filmable, with enough effort, saying otherwise is literally retarded and shows you have no understanding of how the medium works. It's who the film is aimed at which dictates what goes into your movie. Not "we can't do that because it's impossible to film", especially in this day and age where CGI is getting better and better.

There's a lot of short stories, considering he split hobbit into 3 films...

Nope

Miniseries

He what? Only reason I'm forgiving him as a person for making the Hobbit trilogy was that I heard he was tired as fuck of the source material. If its true he said that then he can get his stinking fucking hands off the Tolkien franchise.

It's not my lack of understanding of the medium user, it's my understanding that it will be impossible to convey the themes involved in the Silmarillion in visual form, unless you just ignore them entirely and end up with something barely resembling the story.

>I'm forgiving him as a person for making the Hobbit trilogy was that I heard he was tired as fuck of the source material.

>Friday, January 12, 2007
en.wikinews.org/wiki/Peter_Jackson_banned_from_working_with_New_Line

Literally nothing happens

>it's my understanding that it will be impossible to convey the themes involved in the Silmarillion in visual form

You are a literal fucking retard. Go on, explain why it's impossible to film pic related? Why the themes inside of The Silmarillion are for some reason "impossible to film", I will be waiting.

A shit tonne happens dude. Pretty much the fourth age, everyones lives after the war happens in the appendices, it would take a shit tonne of conjecture, but there is a lot of stories there.

Right, well the characters are completely unsuitable for film or TV adaptation without making obnoxious alterations to them. If you had actually read the Silmarillion, you would know that they are some of the least relatable characters imaginable: iron-willed machines of nobility and valour; endless wellsprings of wisdom. Even worse, some of the characters are literal Gods-on-Earth that are nearly impossible to portray with any seriousness. Saruman and Gandalf only worked in this regard because they are lesser angelic spirits that were severely limited by their elderly physical form in Middle Earth, and thus more relatable. You seem to say your primary reason for this being a good idea is because cgi is now better, without mentioning one of the main things in any movie: dialogue. How would the dialogue of such characters be written that could in any way make for good TV/cinema without taking a shit on Tolkien's vision of the characters and purpose for writing the book?

Events need scenes leading up to, and following it, so there's more of the ass pulls incoming. Not to mention that these Biblical-type events are invariably so much more powerful described in words, than blasted at us visually where much of the original meaning and symbolic emphasis for the events are lost.

Locations are a little more manageable, but again suffer from similar problems to the portrayal of events within the book: they have more symbolism and beauty contained in their description, than could ever be shown in a visual representation. We would end up with the beautiful locations in the LoTR or the Hobbit, except on steroids; 'improved' and more beautiful versions of Lothlorien, The Woodland Realm, The Valley of Imladris, the Grey Havens, etc; and even blacker and more spikey versions of Barad Dur...

If ADD retards like you really wish to experience and enjoy this universe as revealed through the Silmarillion, you're just going to have to read the book unfortunately.

>well the characters are completely unsuitable for film or TV adaptation without making obnoxious alterations to them.
Doesn't make it unfilmable.

>If you had actually read the Silmarillion, you would know that they are some of the least relatable characters imaginable: iron-willed machines of nobility and valour; endless wellsprings of wisdom
Has nothing to do with weather or not the source it literally, film able.

>How would the dialogue of such characters be written that could in any way make for good TV/cinema without taking a shit on Tolkien's vision of the characters and purpose for writing the book?
Kek, by keeping it the same.

>If ADD retards like you really wish to experience and enjoy this universe as revealed through the Silmarillion, you're just going to have to read the book unfortunately.
:^) pic related.

You literally just put more words into what I said here (). It is quite filmable, would look very, very nice. But you know, people don't actually want to see it. It's entirely filmable, but the people who actually want to see it is too small a market so why would they? This doesn't make it unfilmable as every like yourself has said time and time again because you want to parrot an opinion which makes you feel smart.

>inb4 you don't post again.

>Is it unfilmable?
Yes, unfilmable in the sense that the Tolkien estate will never give up the rights to it.

The movie studios only have rights to The Hobbit, LOTR, and maybe Unfinished Tales (not sure)

Nope, Tarkovski could do it

How would they do the whole first part where the world is formed by illuvatar or whatever singing you stupid nigger?

CGI? Are you retarded?

But are there stories where the fate of the world hangs in the balance, AND Legolas does sick physics breaking parkour moves while massacring badguys?

Nice argumentation

>How would they do the whole first part where the world is formed by illuvatar
Also, the world isn't formed by the music. The music gives the themes which appear in the world, Eru forms the world and puts some of the flame in it, and then plays the music in physical form so Melkor can learn from his discord.

The music doesn't make the world, it's ideas form it, in a sense. Why do people like you say it's unfilmable, when you don't actually know what is happening?

Symbolism, you don't need to show everything.

>I've never seen the beginning of Lawrence of Arabia or Melancholia

Anything can be filmed. Everything can be adapted.

>because you want to parrot an opinion which makes you feel smart.

Rich coming from the guy who immediately got argumentative and eagerly posted his (or just as likely some else's) fucking bookshelf.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the OP and other similar discussions of this kind are not posing a tedious "is it literally filmable or not?" question, and instead something along the lines of "could Tolkien's vision be successfully portrayed in a Silmarillion movie?" If you want to frame this as the former, then obviously I would agree with you that something vaguely resembling the Silmarillion could make it to the big screen. The point is that even as they came closer to more accurately portraying it, the interest in producing it would plummet because the movie would be such a weird format that very few would want to sit through it.

silmfilm.mythgard.org

fans making a hypothetical draft of how a tv series would go. not saying it's great or anything, but the main guy knows his Tolkien and it's interesting to listen to

>Rich coming from the guy who immediately got argumentative and eagerly posted his
Kek, your argument against me was I have to read The Silmarillion, can't deal when your assumptions about people you don't know on the internet turns out wrong?

>I thought it was pretty obvious that the OP and other similar discussions of this kind are not posing a tedious "is it literally filmable or not?" question, and instead something along the lines of "could Tolkien's vision be successfully portrayed in a Silmarillion movie?"
Kek, nice backflip. I am done with you.

>who immediately got argumentative
> If you had actually read the Silmarillion
>If ADD retards like you really wish to experience and enjoy this universe as revealed through the Silmarillion, you're just going to have to read the book unfortunately.

How new are you btw? Because this thread, and OP's topic, is a literal meme, which refers to the fact that is technically unfilmable. I am not joking.

Dropped

This is the only reason I don't want a film adaptation of Silmarillion. Because of the ''current year'' the will include nig nogs and sandniggers because ''muh diversity''.

They will probably make a bunch of male characters female too.

Stop raping me Dad's books you cunts.

>can't deal when your assumptions about people you don't know on the internet turns out wrong?

Jesus Christ that is pathetic. I have no idea whose bookshelf that is (ones like it get posted on /lit/ in every shelf thread), and your incessant "cgi is good to go so it is literally filmable" is such a dumb cop out from the real discussion as to whether or not the movie can be successfully adapted that I still seriously get the impression that you haven't read it.

Actually offer an argument other than the vague "Anything is filmable, with enough effort" shit you've offered so far.

By the retards who'd be chosen to make it, undoubtedly.

>Actually offer an argument other than the vague "Anything is filmable, with enough effort" shit you've offered so far.

But your argument is, it is "unfilmable" because people do not want to watch it. I mean, this is literally a semantical argument right now.

>not answering the question about how new he is thus revealing the fact he doesn't know this meme is meant to evoke LOTR discussion
>as it has

>Anything is filmable, with enough effort
Wasn't me.

>I have no idea whose bookshelf that is (ones like it get posted on /lit/ in every shelf thread)
Want some more photos?

>All of the (dozens at least) protagonists except 5 or so die, usually in an awful, 40k-tier fashion

>The centuries-long struggle against Morgoth ends in not only the failure of the protagonists to win without begging the gods for help, but also the complete destruction of all the homes they fought for

Normies (women especially) could never understand.

Fuck, you couldn't even make it quipkino except for maybe Beren and Luthien.

>inb4 Feanor kicks off the Kinslaying with 'heh, nice ships you have there, would be a shame if something happened to them.' [winks at the camera]

Hella autism

This is some self-fellating shit, I tell you hwat.

All me.

so did tolkien ever tell us what happened to the little baby orcs in their little orc cradles or is he just that much of a hack?

>guys forming a world out of nothinf by singing a song is totally filmable

Just use lits of cgi right? Because you all love the hobbit you fucking plebs

No but a comprehensive universal tax rate is developed

lord of the rings 4: this time is personnel

>But your argument is, it is "unfilmable" because people do not want to watch it.

Nope. That was never what I was arguing. I'm arguing that a faithful movie adaptation cannot be made, and even if they try, the closer it gets to being faithful, the smaller the audience that would be willing to see it will be (as in, practically no one, as you said), and so the effort of adapting it will be deemed to not be worth it. A movie that cannot be commercially viable is pretty much an "unfilmable" movie, wouldn't you agree? Unless someone is willing to throw away money, nothing will be filmed.

I would go further to say that even if the movie was commercially viable, the book could never be faithfully adapted to the big screen. I quickly outlined my reasons above, but I could go on. It's 1:30am where I am though, and I already feel like I'm pissing my thoughts away into the wind on this board, so I'll probably just sleep now.

Yes. They can't possibly find a sexy enough actor for Sauron.

not by the pleb directors we have today senpai

You just know they'd make Beren black, because otherwise normies won't get why it's interracial.

Trips don't lie.

IDRIS ELBA
D
R
I
S

E
L
B
A

It could work as an episodic mini series, with episodes released in chronological order but not necessarily being continuations of each other. It could start with the Noldor's return to Beleriand and Feanor torching the ships, with most of what happened in Valinor told through flashbacks and left mostly vague.

It's not unfilmable and IMO, if done correctly, it could surpass the book. Imagine a Beren and Luthien two-parter followed up by the tale of Turin and Hurin's sons, and the last episode could be the battle where Earendil fucks up a continent-sized dragon with his mithril spaceship.

How bout we cast this shit?
>Joaquin Phoenix as Feanor

Jackson officially proved that LotR was unfilmable. Therefore, The Silmarillion is even more unfilmable.

>Now watch Jackson film it anyway
>And give screenwriting duties to his wife yet again
>File under "things fat dudes do to get laid"

As someone who has actually read it, it is as filmable as the old testament. You can't film it without missing the point.

But Elba's going to be Beren

>implying it wouldn't be a huge success if it even came close to the amazing shit Jackson pulled off with LOTR

I'm a retard for taking the bait tho

Your mom's unfilmable, you'd have to get farther back than the moong to get her whole body on the screen.

up...
up...
upboat reddit style!

>the amazing shit Jackson pulled off with LOTR
>dumb CGI-driven summer blockbusters with Tolkien's name pasted on
>starshit with furry feet

Make another movie similar to The Frighteners

there was never any doubt

He has a point..

>elrond sends random elves to helms deep
>doesn't send sons to ride with aragorn

I'm super glad it won't be ruined like the movies ruined the books

Shadow of mordor: the movie

Give it to Peter Jackson and throw in some barrel riding and CGI bad guys, we'll have a new trilogy in no time.

Narn i Chîn Húrin

>when you get cursed by satan so you try to destroy his armies but you accidentally kill your best friend so you befriend a king to get an even better army but then satan sends a dragon to destroy your army and the dragon's army rapes your girlfriend to death so you try to kill the dragon but accidentally stumble across the amnesiac sister you didn't know about so you bone her and she gets pregnant and then you finally find the dragon so you kill him and then he tells you you boned your sister so you both kill yourselves

As a live action film? Yes.

As a 200 part animated series? Pure kino.

>tfw you will never see the dwarf crusade against azog on film

How would you film Finrod's song battle against Sauron?

>He chanted a song of wizardry,
>Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
>Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
>Then sudden Felagund there swaying
>Sang in answer a song of staying,
>Resisting, battling against power,
>Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
>And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
>Of changing and of shifting shape,
>Of snares eluded, broken traps,
>The prison opening, the chain that snaps.

>Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
>Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
>The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
>And all the magic and miht he brought
>Of Elvenesse into his words.
>Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
>Singing afar in Nargothrond,
>The sighing of the sea beyond,
>Beyond the western world, on sand,
>On sand of pearls in Elvenland.

>Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing
>In Valinor, the red blood flowing
>Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
>The Foamriders, and stealing drew
>Their white ships with their white sails
>From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
>The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
>The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
>The captives sad in Angband mourn.
>Thunder rumbles, the fires burn –
>And Finrod fell before the throne.

This epic style of writing really makes me want to read lotr but then I remember reading is for NERDS!

But really though thats fantastic writing

only good answer

certain things would be changed so much by adaptation that it is fair to consider them "unfilmable". Try to imagine infinite jest on the screen. Even simpler written work like nabakov's stuff would lose so much by being taken out of medium that adaptations could never truly work.

What isn't?

I think if it was an animated film it could work.

Most chapters are films unto themselves.

in an industry devoid of imagination or originality, they will find some way to ham fist this into a movie and try to cash in on a pre established franchise and name.