The Great Wall is a dissapointment?

A question for Sup Forums box office experts...

How is this a box office bomb? Where do they get the number of 75 million?

The film had a budget of 150 and a marketing budget of 110 million.

Combine that to 260 million in total costs. If it made more than 300 million, doesn't that mean it got it's money back?

Sure, it's a disappointment, but a bomb? I'm curious what you guys think.

I saw it. Was absolute garbage

Chinese need to learn how to make like able characters and dialog

>If it made more than 300 million
Is the 300 million before or after everyone else took their cut? (cinemas, taxes, etc.)

didn't it sell well in China?

Wasn't that the whole point?

chinese can't make decent films

just look at the type of movies they enjoy: fast and furious, "Warcraft" etc

chinese theaters don't have to give up as much in ticket sales

Shit, I think the 300 million was before theater cuts.

How much do theaters take on a production like this? How does that work over in China. How much do Chinese theaters keep from the profit?

>I saw it. Was absolute garbage
Ahaha. Oh how. Did you really expect anything from Chinese generic action drivel with unrealistically sterile-looking pansy animu elves in costumes of flamboyant colors?

The point of a movie is to make money. Just making its money back is time wasted.

I blame this squarely on Matt Damon.

He just gets more bland and unlikable the older he gets. Plus, the outright hypocrisy of complaining about Donald Trump and virtue signalling about minority representation in films - while headlining a movie called "The Great Wall" in which he plays the magical white saviour among an otherwise entirely Asian cast.

And how to tell a good story that makes sense.

it was fun as fuck

never in my life I thought I'd see Andy Lau hamming it up to the max with Jason Bourne and Agent Pena running around as European bandits

it is.

the thing is the movies that are huge hits in China are not huge hits in America.

Great Wall and Warcraft are both examples of this

I liked both Warcraft and The Great Wall, idk what's wrong with the normalfags who didn't like them

It's made 300 million worldwide, it will probably top out at ~340 million.

The studio takes ~50% of that gross. So at most, they get $170 million, which covers the production budget but only $20 million out of the $100 million P&A budget. That's approximately an $80 million loss.

>wrong with the normalfags who didn't like them
it means you were gifted with a stunted frontal cortex, you knuckle-dragging pleb/shill

It will make money on video and selling it to tv. Every film turns a profit, eventually.

My Chinese friend who went and saw it opening day raved about it, even with Matt Damon.

They are kind of a pleb tho.

Isn't it though that they studio takes 70 to 80% of the profit from the first week? Then after that they only take 50%? I read that somewhere.

The movie had impressive visuals, but shit marketing in the US, so that's why it flopped in the US but did okay in China. It's actually in the top 20 highest grossing films of all time in China now.

it's a fact that any culture product supported by the party is automatically shit

I remember that BvS had a budget of like 250 mil and yet it said that they needed to make 800 mil in order to turn a profit (it did barely that, 873 mil)

So if something that cost 150 mil made 300 mil, I highly doubt it was profitable

seem like the chinese like brainless murrica flick but fucking loath their own
they shit on its very hard on all available chink social networks, movie critic sites. Turn out even the party have to tell them "this is unacceptable attitude, all China movies are GOAT" throught their not so subtly progapanda newspaper. but obviously nobody buy that so they continue to shit on the movie as much as they can.

i might have been interested if it was historical instead of fantasy

nah the movie was pure shit though,
Matt Damon is just the final nail on the coffin, it's a mistake trying to pander to westerners audience

50+ percent. This is why the general rule is that movie needs to double its budget to break even.

They honestly could've marketed this better.

They only had two trailers and both of them were rather lackluster. Then they had a barrage of TV spots that annoyed people rather than get them excited. Then there was the shitty poster with Matt Damon's face just plastered over the whole thing.

If they had put chinese lettering on the poster, showed an image of the large scale battle, got a better tagline, it could've been a decent poster that caught people's eye.

If they made it obvious in the first trailer that Matt Damon plays a european who comes to trade in China, that could've dispelled all the negative PR about the film. Almost all the word of mouth about this whole fucking thing was about Matt Damon being in China. Not exactly good word of mouth.

There was a lot going for this movie, and they could've advertised properly in the US, but NOPE. Whoever edited the trailers honestly needs to get fired.

I don't believe in walls.

It didn't even make break $1 trillion gross. It's a total flop that will probably sink the Chinese economy even further. Trump was right.

>China is the future of film they said

Even though this flopped, China kind of is though. They're the second largest box office draw, right behind the US, and even in some cases, China will gross more revenue than the US.

The new Kong: Skull Island movie is actually another film from the same company who pushed out The Great Wall.

They ain't going anywhere people.

maatt damon

i thought the chinese love white men

Because the cultural tastes of the Chinese and american audiences are far too different. Hollywood can't make entertainment that appeals both Chink and Burgers the stuff that does is basically Transformers. which is pretty narrow in terms of entertainment and the stories you can tell.

Will China ruin film even more than capeshit did?

>ever believing Hollywood accounting

bye bye Legendary

TRUMP BTFO

>Whoever made that image asked for an illustartor credit

WeW LaD
e
W

L
a
D

it proves that the wall is effective lefty's get angry

Who expected this movie to be any good?

>Combine that to 260 million in total costs. If it made more than 300 million, doesn't that mean it got it's money back?

>I blame this squarely on Matt Damon.
>He just gets more bland and unlikable the older he gets.

Indeed, the guy should have never gotten beyond supporting roles on generic tv shows.

How he became a MOVIE STAR! is beyond me (he's not even Jewish!).

> Plus, the outright hypocrisy of complaining about Donald Trump and virtue signalling about minority representation in films - while headlining a movie called "The Great Wall" in which he plays the magical white saviour among an otherwise entirely Asian cast.

Exactly, did he not understand that he was going to get all kinda shit from self-hating White Leftists over this movie?

Was he unaware of the shit Tom Cruise got for the same thing in Japan?

Did he not read Joss Whedon’s Tweets?

they love white man in white man's OWN movie

Chinese movies for Chinese, White movies for everyone....

Why did they cast a white guy to play a Chinese character? I hope Ghost in the Shell flops too.

Except Matt Damon isn't playing a chinese character. In the film, he's a European who comes to trade with the Chinese.

This is why the marketing should've explained Damon's role in the movie. The confusing and white-wash blame became the main word of mouth for people in the US.

thank fucking god

chinks are fucking up movies enough with their ultrapleb tastes.

Fuck off, the Chinese have excellent taste

>I saw it. Was absolute garbage
you are fucking faggot, only normies went to the cinema to watch this shit, get the fuck out of my board

It is a bit different in this case since it is a Legendary film. Legendary is owned by Wanda the largest theatre chain in China which means that profits will be more towards Wanda. If they lost money I bet it has to do with (((Hollywood accounting))).

It wasn't bad, it was an alright popcorn flick

It's not great, but I enjoyed it. Lots of good visuals from Zhang Yimou.

fuck right off chang

>gross and profit are the same thing
WTF children?

Why is this liberal faggot making Chinese propaganda openly sponsored by the Communist party?

Make no mistake Hollywood Jews did this on purpose. There is no way in hell they want China to have as much influence in America as it currently has in Africa.

The Fast and the Furious is better than Warcraft in a way I have difficulty articulating

In the same way The Room is better than Meet The Spartans

What the fuck were those things anyways?
Tao-things.....

Aliens basically, retarded chinks thought they were magic demons

That's really not how it works over there.

Wasn't this financed by the Chinese government? $75 million is probably what they use as toilet paper at the annual Communist party conference.

Go eat a dog, General Tso

>Tencent Pictures

those fuckers are everywhere i see like Warner Bros but much worse

Matt "All I See is Dollar Signs Nigger" Damon

Because liberals are commies, obviously.

>you won't live to see the Chinese wiped off the face of the Earth

Then why did they let Legendary studios be bought by chinks?

They didn't. That was the wake up call.

Well, more than 4 big productions from Legendary are being made over in China. Godzilla 2, Kong vs. Godzilla, Pacific Rim 2, and Kong: Skull Island is coming out next week. ALL HAIL CHINA!

>110 million.
Source?

>we had one chance to destroy this evil forever
>we blew it

>WE
WE
>WE
W E
E

You ESL types have been shitting up Sup Forums for a long while now

I liked it, better than Marvelshit easily

>''I'm not a believer in walls''

>retires to his walled-off mansion with armed guards

>with armed guards

I don't recall Matt Damon living in the white house

If it didn't make a bil it's a flop. this is the era we live in.

Plus Jason Bourne was shit.