Stop calling British posters Nigel

I have only ever heard of 40+ year old men called Nigel, the name is quite literally dying out
>The father of a rare baby Nigel says he hopes the name can make a comeback.
>The name, according to latest figures, is on the brink of extinction in England and Wales, with fewer than three Nigels born in 2016.
>The way data is recorded means it is not known whether there are two babies keeping the name alive, or just 13-month-old Nigel Ball, of Willenhall, West Midlands
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-41430087

So next time you call a British poster Nigel, remember it's highly improbable a 20 something is named Nigel

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel#England_and_Wales
youtube.com/watch?v=rtTgZPkZgSc
barnnamn.net/namntopplista/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven
voresborn.dk/babynavne/top-100-de-mest-populaere-navne
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41160596
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ok Muhammad

Shut up you fucking nonce

even more immature and improbable
good post

Is Edmund better?

Pffft, all the traditional names in Europe are disappearing. No young people in France are named Jacques or Michel anymore, no young Germans are Otto or Hans, no young Poles are Wladimir or Boleslaw, etc, etc.

don't know a single person with that name either

It's a cool name owned by cool dudes like pic related.

nigel isn't even a traditional name, just look at this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel#England_and_Wales
it was only ever popular during a brief period in the 50s/60s/70s

youtube.com/watch?v=rtTgZPkZgSc

The Wild Thornberries ruined that name forever. Fuck that show.

Fuck you nigger that show was great for an early 2000s cartoon.

>no young Poles are Wladimir or Boleslaw
BTW, in the 90s when everyone was obsessed with American culture in Eastern Europe, lots of people start giving kids American names like Amy or Derek or Taylor. Eventually the Polish government started requiring parents to use Polish spellings of names, so you had to name your kid Dzrzrek or Tzrzrzrzlr or something like that.

I know a native guy named Nigel lmao

We get called Sven but it was not even in the top 100 for newborn in Sweden. I have only met two guys with that name.

barnnamn.net/namntopplista/

>I have only met two guys with that name
how old though?
I've only ever known 2 people callled Nigel and both were fathers of friends

One old guy and one the same age as me (20).

Still doesn't change that it's not common at all nowadays.

>Dzrzrek or Tzrzrzrzlr
Those are black american names though

In most of those cases it's just globalization/Americanization that made the traditional names seem stuffy and out of date. In Germany's case of course it's too nationalistic and German to name a child Otto or Hans. Nowadays they like giving kids Jewish names like Jacob or Sarah out of guilt.

not to the same extent as nigel though is it?
read the article in the OP, only 1 or 2 babies called Nigel in the whole UK in 2016

I've never met someone named Bruce but that's what everyone calls Australians. Get over yourself, man, and roll with the punches.

>No young people in France are named Jacques or Michel anymore
Wrong

>Boleslaw
lel

>yourself, man, and

fucking state of your grammar.
Bogan trash

I never met a frenchman named frog

most common baby names 2016

girls
>1. Sofia 480
>2. Alma 447
>3. Emma 439
>4. Ella 438
>5. Ida 428
>6. Freja 427
>7. Clara 426
>8. Anna 402
>9. Laura 396
>10. Alberte 386

boys
>1. Noah 538
>2. Victor 531
>3. Oliver 523
>4. Oscar 521
>5. William 520
>6. Lucas 509
>7. Carl 483
>8. Malthe 451
>9. Emil 445
>10. Alfred 433

yet everyone call us mehmet or hans

It doesn't really matter, some names just bring some stereotypes, if you met an Englishman named Sven wouldn't you think of Sweden?

Nigel is a English name.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel

There is nothing more annoying than an ESL who doesn't have experience with actual spoken English in transcription.

At least on the girl side there's some overlap with American naming trends since 2000, in particular Sofia and Emma have popular. No sign of 1930s grandma names like Alma and Ida coming back though.

>AHHH GOONSACK WAHHHH

Do us a favour and neck yourself

sven is a traditional swedish name that has been popular for 1000 years
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven
look at all of those current relevant people with the name sven today considering sweden has a much smaller population

as I mentioned in and you can see in pic related, Nigel isn't a traditional English name and was only ever popular for a brief period in time

What about Gary?? :)

same here

girls
>Marie
>Sophie/Sofie
>Sophia/Sofia
>Maria
>Emma
>Emilia
>Mia
>Anna
>Hannah/Hanna
>Johanna

boys
>Elias
>Alexander
>Maximilian
>Paul
>Leon/Léon
>Louis/Luis
>Ben
>Jonas
>Noah/Noa
>Luca/Luka

Alma and Ida are so ugly sounding I can't imagine they'll ever be rediscovered. Some old-fashioned names come back but they're usually ones like Grace or Hazel that are easier on the ears.

Alma means sol in spanish. I don't think it's common in hispanic countries, but it's a pretty name in my opinion.

>sol
soul*
also check em dubs

As of right now it's popular for the upper class to name their children old danish or french names. The middle class goes for short normal names

Alma and Ida are considered young names here. Never heard anyone above the age of 25 with those names

Good for you because absolutely no babies in this country have been named Alma or Ida since Coolidge was president.

>Emma
>Ella
>Anna
>Laura
>Oliver
>William
>Carl
>Marie
>Sophie
>Maria
>Hannah
>Johanna
>Alexander
>Paul
>Louis
>Ben
not sure if you care but these are the only names in your lists that are popular in Britain too

thinking I'm gonna sneak and obscure roman emperor's name into my kid's middle names
thoughts?

>improbable

Isn't Muhammed the most common baby name in Britain though?

Names always shift in popularity, pic related our most common names, all 20 of them are traditional here.

I know two Augustin's, my grandpa was Julius

WE

improbable to posting an Sup Forums
while pakis make up 4% (I think?) of UK population the ratio of them posting on Sup Forums would be lower
there's definitely a couple pakis posting here under our flag but just to be posting here they'd tend to be more moderate or no longer religious

my folklore prof's first name's Augustus

WUZ

>chinese guy goes to england
>starts talking to black guy
>hello nige-

eh I know a lot of pakistani diaspora that post here, myself included

I think being an Sup Forumsernational board we are over-represented

Alma and Ida were popular mostly in the last two decades of the 19th century; by the 1920s already nobody was still giving those names to kids.

Roman emperor names used to be pretty common in Europe particularly with upper class families.

>pakistani diaspora that post here, myself included
rare for america but I would say the experience of a paki in the UK compared to USA is very different
there's enough of them here to form their own insular communities and have little contact with real British people
I doubt you have that privilege and are just another brown yank

Yes we share a lot of names apparently
the more danish names within top 50. there's a lot of danish boy names so I didn't bother listing them
6. Freja 427
15. Lærke 316
20. Mathilde 279
22. Emilie 268
23. Liva 266
30. Mille 234
32. Frida 223
38. Vigga 187 (lol)
36. Signe 146
48. Johanne 141

voresborn.dk/babynavne/top-100-de-mest-populaere-navne

No, even if you combine all the different spellings it's 8th. Most popular male name is Oliver and for females it's Olivia

Depends, official census data puts it at like 8th but some sources combine all iterations of it and other names and some don't (Like Oliver, Oli, Harry and Henry etc) though there are arguments against that as well (Which you'll no doubt see on here) so you're bound to get different answers from both people and data.

See: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41160596

>Wladimir
It's not even a Polish name, lol.

Olivia has been popular in the US recently but not Oliver. I don't think Oliver has ever been common here.

>>The name, according to latest figures, is on the brink of extinction in England and Wales
That suits the character and reality of English people very well. Sorry Nigerl, I am sticking with it

It's a recent thing, it was all about Amelia a couple of years ago and before that it was Chloe. Incidentally I've never met a Chloe that wasn't a massive slag.

Honestly, names like Emma, Madison, and Sophia are also white trash core.

Assumedly that's because those are "standard" white people names, so they're quite popular overall.

>even the brownest neighborhood in Bradford isn't nearly as racially insular as american neighborhoods are m8
probably true but I seriously doubt there's enough pakis in Maryland to form a real paki neighbourhood
for the record I live in Birmingham and there's differently a few areas in this city which are american ghetto tier (demographics wise)

difference being is they're a lot less dangerous to be in, definitely fucking grim and ugly and unpleasant to walk through but I don't really feel intimidated or have to worry about getting shot

why did you delete your post you paki bastard?

Not at all, Oliver has been very popular since 2010. But it had been rarely seen in the US since the 19th century.

Probably to do with all the Irish

>by the 1920s already nobody was still giving those names to kids
At that time, Betty was huge, but it was just a fad for about 7-8 years after which the name vanished and has never come back. I think it's too cheesy-sounding and associated with cartoon characters to ever be revived.

Yes, Ida has been a popular baby name in Northern Europe lately but I'll eat my hat if it ever sees the light of day again here.

Fair enough Chauncey

What's with noah's popularity?

I have literally never heard someone call an australian "bruce"

alri omar

Nora has come back but not Norma.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

noice, gonna go with this one

Not only have i never met anyone named "Pajeet", i've never ever even heard of that name, google doesn't show any list where the name "Pajeet" exists. It's fucking BS.

Kinda sounds like "Baljeet"

No you're thinking of that story where they only collected users from one specific site. Official sources, from the Office of National Statistics, it's not.