/arc/ Arctic Nations - Winter is coming edition

You may only post in this thread if you live above 60 north latitude.

Hoy cunts.

wtf I had no idea that much of Norway is arctic

This whole circle is a bit exaggerated actually. At least if this is suppsed to be the arctic circle.

It's 60 north latitude, the upper third of the planet

I see. I'm at 62. Are you the guy in Ketchikan?

No, I'm in Anchorage like everyone else. Ketchikan is at 55

Cool. How is life like there? Anything that is very different from the rest of the us?

We have a unique culture but it's hard for me to describe it because it's just what I grew up on. What I will say is that anyone who comes here is cured of his want for gun control. There was an SNL guy here a few weeks ago and one of the things he said was that now that he's been here, boy was he glad we have the Second Amendment.

So yeah. Even the hardest left politicians don't want gun control because even they can understand you cannot argue or reason with a bear. You don't see that in the rest of the US.

>muh ice

>muh bananas

I see. I would want a gun too. What kind of gun do you wear? Do 9mm kill big grizzlys?

I just don't go outside in the summer.

>Sup Forums says only whites can tolerate cold
>Sup Forums says slavs and alaskan natives aren't white
?

What? That's crazy. You live in fucking Alaska. You need to go on hikes, my man. My favorite thing to do is putting on my mountain shoes.

It's HOT, man. By some miracle the insulation for the cold also keeps the house cooler in the summer than the outside

Yes, of course the insulation does that. However, how warm does it really get there? I have 12(53.6) - 17(62.6) as average summer days here.

Finland has a beach resort at 65.0298 North latitude. I think it's the northern-most beach resort in the world. There are beaches further north, of course, but Nallikari is an actual resort with hotels and swimming beaches and so on.

Does Lulea in Sweden have any beach resorts?

It typically gets to around 70-80F on "nice" days, and that's just where I live. There are some places where it's triple digits. Fairbanks has the widest temperature extreme in the world

You will feel better on a mountain top with wind in your hair. It's not as warm there, like I'm sure you know.

fucking snowniggers lmao

Define "resort". Btw do you need a beach to be a "resort" in order to enjoy it? We have beaches farther north than Finland.

Iceland

With the talk of beaches, I have noticed that it's quite a bit cooler down by the beach than inland. I've only just moved to Anchorage from the hinterland, so we'll see how it is next summer, but the other day I drove back north and it was a good 10F warmer in Wasilla than in Anchorage

>tfw not Arctic
>winter is already in Helsinki
>but not in Tallinn

Do you got good beaches where you live?

Still northern than oslo.
Soon brother.

You have snow now?

>Btw do you need a beach to be a "resort" in order to enjoy it?

No. But it means that people specifically travel to that location from other places to swim and enjoy the warm summer water. Enough people to justify hotels and tourist services. It's interesting to see that so far north. Instead of a holiday in Malaga, you can go to 65 north latitude and do similar things.

Not that are warm and have bright sand, like a touristy beach, but there's some muddy and rocky coastlines that get similar use. Seward's beach is nothing but sharp rocks, but it gets tourist activity anyway and most of the beach is an RV park

No, beginning of October is earliest, but recently it's been early November-ish.

Here is a beach resort at 69N

So why do you say it's winter?

Because Finland is Arctic and Winter is coming edition

Nothing that wont melt immediately
Comfy, wish i could come fishing there

I dunno what you're on about, but if we can just SAY it's winter, then it was winter here in July desu. HA, Oslo had winter 1st of August actually? How do I define it? Certainly not by snow. I'm just saying winter is here desu.

Pic related

I dunno what you're on about

Look at the thread title. Truth be told we are also getting signs of winter in Tallinn.

How are Oslo and Bergen now? In March Bergen was very mild and barely any snow - probably because of maritime climate.

Do people actually swim in that water for extended periods of time? It looks... cold.

I see. At this point I would just go out with my boat rather than staying on that beach. Which I prefer over a white sandy beach anyway. Pic related from when I was out with my boat this summer. It's a Finnmaster.

It's like getting used to cold showers.

That's what most people do around here.

I dunno about Oslo, but Bergen is similar to where I live, and we still have temperatures at 12 degrees. It won't be 0 degrees until late october. As you know our winters are mild. Our coldest day last winter was -8.

People don't usually swim there outside of summer. Too cold during winter. Some do tho, just because they think it's fun to swim in the cold sea.

>You don't see that in the rest of the US.
But there are negros and mestizos all over the rest of the US

>B-but they're doing it because they're poor and we can tell them how sorry we are for them and that they need more reparations!
With regard to niggers and spics, this is what liberals actually believe. With regard to moose and bears, even liberals aren't this stupid.

I have some family in alaska tbqh
two second cousins and their family
I'd like to visit some day, though i've never met them and don't know them at all
Or maybe they will come here while our great grandmother still lives (or for her funeral)

I brought a shotgun when I visited the Yukon. I did hiking in bear-inhabited areas. I didn't run into any bears directly (only from a distance), but I saw an Arctic Fox. That was really neat.

No, I didn't shoot it.

Huh. I didn't know they let you bring guns through the border.

They require a valid reason (like wilderness hiking), a fee, and a detailed description of the weapon with the serial number, which they inspect at the border. Then you get a temporary permit number which lasts for a specific period of time. You can use it to legally transport the weapon inside of Canada, provided that it is secured properly, and also to buy ammunition for the weapon (but not other weapons).

The ammunition also has to be stored properly, separated from the weapon. I crossed the border a couple times between Alaska and Canada, and always made sure to unload the shotgun before crossing. Then you re-declare it, and Customs marks it on your permit.

Is the Alaskan border more permissive and understanding about it, or does it at least feel that way, than the American border?

>tfw your an Inuit mongo

Are you really? What are you doing sober?

nah, just shitposting. I'm actually on the 46th. I know know, i should leave. But I was interested on how people live North of 60.

The Canadian border guards on the Alaskan side in places like Stewart/Hyder or on the "Top of the World Highway" between Alaska and Dawson City are a lot more isolated than the ones at the bigger crossings. They are in smaller hut-style facilities and are more isolated in general. They are being recorded and have to follow professional guidelines, but civility and a bit of polite banter is usually welcome. Before permitting you across the border with the weapon, they want to know that you seem like a responsible person, and aren't a psycho. If you've been outdoors for a while, it's certainly a good idea to clean up and look more presentable at the crossing.

>Be born in Texas
>Love cold weather
>Norway too expensive to move there
Why live?

No it's not. You can move here and have a job, then it won't be expensive. I can go on 4 vacations per year with a normal job.

Go to Russia, the cost of living is very low there

i'm at 61 latitude

Have you Arctic guys noticed this?
i don't believe in AGW btw because I don't know anyone effected

are u ok ? go from west to Russia it is the worse that u can do

Russia is the only arctic country that isn't expensive as fuck

it is not expensive, if u european and you have evroz, but when you work in russia and get wage in rubles it is fucking fuck

canadian arctic is cheap
they pay white people to live there