Why is this movie so fucking stupid?

Why is this movie so fucking stupid?

nigger detected

I've always loved it, and I've never seen anyone give a real reason why it apparently sucks.

You're just not intelligent enough for it.

It kind of drags during the third act.

Yuropoop or negro who will never understand the greatness of America and being American.

Because its intentionally cartoonish and some people wont like that. I didnt like it either but at least its internally coherent and consistent in its "stupid" style, and within that style its not a bad movie.

Watch it again when you're over 25

abysmal chemistry and performances of Dicaprio & Diaz

also alot of the plot doesnt come together well

You can't even a little bit articulate why you think that.

Have you ever considered that maybe it's you who is the one that is fucking stupid?

I watch this movie like once or twice a year and I'm not American. Fuck you, OP. How can you think it's stupid

This. DDL practically carries the whole film. If you removed him from the picture the film would be considered a huge camp fest.

>Because its intentionally cartoonish

so was the 19th century...

I enjoyed it but what the fuck?

>given multiple opportunities to kill the butcher through out the movie and never does
>whore tells you she's fucked the whole town, so your reaction is to hit her then fuck her and fall in love?
>kill opposing running mate for mayor with 100 witnesses, no one does a thing

This, there's a lot they could have cut out and made it an hour shorter and much better

>>given multiple opportunities to kill the butcher through out the movie and never does
This was because he either wasn't ready to, didn't have the chance to and because he'd grown attached to Bill

>whore tells you she's fucked the whole town, so your reaction is to hit her then fuck her and fall in love?
She didn't say she'd fucked the whole town. Amsterdam asked her that but it wasn't in any way shown that she had. The only confirmed person to fuck her was Bill and then Amsterdam

>kill opposing running mate for mayor with 100 witnesses, no one does a thing
Because Bill inspired such fear in the Five Points that no one wanted to stand up to him. This was a major plot point: standing up to him with law didn't work and so they had to resort to standing up to him with violence.

>Don't talk to me or my mistresses son ever again

movie had a lot of great characters...

a more civilized time...

DDL is so fucking good as Bill the Butcher, I have no idea how people can dislike this movie. Sure, other areas of the movie can be kind of weak, but DDL seriously commands the screen in this one.

>tfw he actually learned knife throwing for this movie
>tfw he actually threw the knives during the scene with Cameron Diaz
>tfw I'm not surprised, because it's DDL

"You kill a king, you don't stab him in the dark...you kill him where the whole court can watch him die."

He specifically wanted to kill him at the Native's celebration of killing his father. Yeah, it's kinda stupid from a logical standpoint, but I feel like it makes sense in the movie...wanting it to be a big, theatrical event.

DDL is so fucking good as literally anything, Lincoln was amazing.

Op here

Shit, I forgot that line, I take it all back

Kino

Yes
>Lincoln was amazing
No
However
There will be blood and Last of the Mohicans are god tier.

Leo and the lady are very very bad in it.
Individual scenes are spectacular however they are loosely connected and the story as a whole is disjointed.

So.... people back then where intimidated by men who dressed up like willy wonka?

Yes it does

Wit mah hat cocked to da side

Willy Wonka was dripping with swag, he'd make you look like a fucking peasant.

HAHAHAHAH

OMG

Seriously consider suicide

Cameron Diaz drags the whole thing down.

This, and they could've cut out the love story it was unecessary. But honestly this is basically DDL steals this movie and everyone else as a character feels flat, interesting setting and cool costuming, weird choice of music during some scenes like the big fight scene with The Priest then again it was the early 2000's and most likely it was residue from the 90's.

Fun movie to kill sometime with.

Knife throwing is actually quite easy, with a proper knife you can learn it in 30 minutes, even with the worst knife for throwing - swiss army knife, you can achieve like 70% successful throw rate without much effort

What is an irishman, but a nigger inside out, OP?

he asks her who she hasn't fucked and she says 'you'

I always thought the first scene was weird as fuck, did people actually dress like that in old time New York?

Irish Coffee?

Yes

This is one of the finest movies ever, the ambience, the setting, the characters, and most importantly Bill the Butcher. It has just enough history to *feel* very true.

I've seen it at least 10 times and it has to be in my top 5 favorites. If you don't like this movie, I don't like you.

But the one poster was right, if you took DDL out of this movie, it would have turned out a very different animal. Still probably alright but not the legendary movie it is with him in it.

He's a perfect villain. Perfect.

this applies to a lot of DDL movies desu

The scenes with Bill The Butcher alone make up for the rest of the movie

>being this autistic

Not titling the image file

>You came to the wrong neighborhood, immigrant.jpg

My god, look at all those fancy hats and trousers.

>given multiple opportunities to kill the butcher through out the movie and never does
Are you a woman?

(cont)

BUT this is essentially the movie that turned DiCaprio from someone who does teeny bopper shit to respectable movies. And admittedly, some of his delivery could have been better.

That's the only flaw of this movie I can really acknowlege. Pacing is perfect, even when it moves slow it needs to to show Amsterdam growing up and changing. All the other actors did a good job, but naturally none can compare to the human lightning that is Bill the Butcher.

But notable mentions are Priest Vallon, Monk, Boss Tweed, McGloin.

All did solid, but Leo's part was a bit shaky at some points, not at all bad but he couldn't quite keep up with the epic actors around him....

but this is one of these stories that spoke to me on a deep spiritual level to sound flaky about it. It was also my first discovery that American history could be interesting (but I know it's just loosely based on several different true events, stories, and characters).

I fucking love Scorsese and I don't think it overbills GoNY to say it's his best one....

I love this movie and the only thing that drags the movie down is literally cameron diaz. She's totally out of her league and it gets really apparent on repeat viewings.

I get why some people don't like it, and Scorcese definitely has better movies, but I've always loved it. I'm a historyfag and especially into NYC history, so it's right up my alley. Plus, DDL is based as always, and it's got plenty of great supporting characters.

>history fag

Did you know that its a total historical revision of both DDL's character and the Irish boss? In reality DDL was assassinated by the Irish mobster who went on to be a successful political cog in the tammeny hall machine, culminating his career as a democratic state senator and dying at a ripe old age.

DDL and his ilk were political outsiders to the more powerful and well-established Tammany system, and they were forcefully prevented from participating equally in the system by the irish goons operating as agents of the corrupt political establishment, not the other way around as scorcese portrays.

I'm a historyfag too, just not the one you're replying to. I love the movie also and it never was intended to be a true movie, just heavily influenced by many true stories, characters, and places.

Hell, the 5 points and the old brewery were recreated EXACTLY based on old photographs. The gangs really existed. There really was a Bill the Butcher, Boss Tweed, Hellcat Maggie, Priest Vallon. The draft riots really happened, the soldiers violently suppressing the mobs happened. And they worked that all in beautifully into one cohesive story. Not true, but it had a shit ton of truth thrown into it.

My only real gripe about it is that it can't decide what sort of film it wants to be: A gangster movie, a revenge movie, a movie about New York, a Civil War movie, a politics movie etc. Of course any of these sort of films can include elements of all the others but at the halfway point the film becomes incredibly muddled and loses its direction when all these subplots crop up and start intersecting

It's not a bad film but it really could have used much more focus and the scrapping of some storylines.

Did New Yorkers dressed like that in the 19th century?

The upper crust did. Though the movie IS over the top the set, the outfits, the scenery is all PERFECTLY mid 19th Century.

It's a fucking kickass movie. This thread has me rewatching it actually.

me on the right

Many of the characters in the movie, including DDL's are taken from the book, The Gangs of New York, which is ostensibly a non-fiction book, but much of the information is from newspapers of the time (which were notoriously over-the-top) and accounts of old-timers from when the book was written (late 1920's). Many of the characters and events from the movie were actually from a time range of like, 1820 to 1898 or so. It's not meant to be a documentary, but the set, the lingo, the costumes, and major events are incredibly accurate, and paint a great picture of 19th century life in New York.

Well, even people who weren't dirt-poor dressed in pretty gawdy patterns and bright colors, especially the gangsters...it was a way of showing off.

They're dressed in a similar fashion to the elites but more gaudy and over the top. This makes sense though since they're essentially lower class dudes living in the boonies putting on airs by dressing how they think the elites do. It's like how you see the mafia and mob bosses dressing in suits worth thousands while acting like thugs or ghetto gangsters dressed in tacky shoes and outfits which cost them hundreds.

Because potato niggers were the Kangz of Europe and ruined this country.

Yes, being in just your shirt and waistcoat in public was considered like being in your underwear in public today.

>it was a way of showing off.

This. Same reason niggers where gold chains and high-end shoes.

>There really was a Bill the Butcher, Boss Tweed, Hellcat Maggie, Priest Vallon.

But they were nothing like the ones in the movie.

>this is essentially the movie that turned DiCaprio from someone who does teeny bopper shit to respectable movies
pls watch What's Eating Gilbert Grape & The Basketball Diaries

Good scorsese has DeNiro and is about Italian shit

Bad scorsese has DeCaprio and is about Irish shit

Americoon spotted.

>this movie is so fucking stupid

Yeah that's what I said pussy

> What's Eating Gilbert Grape

First movie I remember where Hollywood illustrated how fucking annoying SPED kids can be. God damn, that cake scene still pisses me off.

Did Irish people really dress like that? Didn't they know how fucking stupid they looked? They look like clowns.

>tfw he actually learned knife throwing for this movie

And you're wrong, faggot.

DiCaprio is terrible as always and the film feels like a comedy at times, and at other times a farce. I'm not sure if Scorsese wanted to recreate what the 5 points might have been like in the mid 19th century, but if he did, it failed. The film should have been a lot better.

>He's a perfect villain to acting. Perfect.

Real tough boy
I'd fuck you and make you my bitch

promise?

That's what I though bitch get out of my thread

If you like the film but never read the book it's based upon I highly recommend you do so.
It's a page turner, my favorite part are the accounts of what the Old Brewery was like, people sitting in complete dark not giving up there spot even to remove the dead, unchecked debauchery, if someone flashed a coin they had begged it was instant murder.

great thread, faggot.

Bill the Butcher gave me so many good lines to rag on my Irish buddies with.

>you mother-whoring Irish bastard
>on the 7th day God rested, but before he did, he squatted over the side of England, and what came out of him was Ireland
>why don't you burn him see if his ashes turn green

Thanks, its most replies I've ever got and probably ever will :)

>Whoopsy Daisy

DOWN WITH THE UNION!!

nigger in the church detected

I think it got fucked up in post-production due to the patriotic climate of the time. The climax without the shmaltzy screen wipe to present day is a pretty pessimistic take on the future of 'the will of the people' in America.

Because Martin Scorcese is a pleb director for mouth breathing retards who literally cannot understand the plot of a film unless the protagonist narrates fucking EVERYTHING

>ywn be someone as pathetic as this guy that has to shitpost wildly just to bump a thread
Feels good

The Beach

To be fair the nativists were pretty much right about the Irish

because cameran diaz

Because Scorsese is meme shit.

Why don't you stop shitposting?

I'm a different guy who also understands how overrated Scorsese is. If you think he's a great director you might be a mouth breather.

Yes, you're the other one from before. Why don't you stop shitposting?