This was so fucking good

This was so fucking good.

What are some other movies that actually pull off some parallel storytelling?

I think Nocturnal Animals was my moty for 2016. It was so great. That atmosphere really did it for me.

Personally I loved the subtlety

>something being unsubtle is inherently bad
>something being subtle is inherently good

to be fair, for that to make any sense you already have to be following what's going on.

There's a lot of unsubtle things, like the scene transitions where Adam's character is doing the same thing as Gyllenhall's, but putting it all together still takes some work.

what's the subtlety here?

Manipulative schmaltzy trash.
Sadly turns out people still fall for it in the current year

It only got one nomination cause the oscars are just a popularity poll and the director is not really into movies, he is a fashion designer.

It's worth watching.

to be fair the movie is not very good, it's dull as fuck, many shots are out of place and just show how bad a director Tom Ford is

Didn't deserve any, and
>director is not really into movies, he is a fashion designer
What? Ford is really into movies too, by being a filmmaker. This, faulty or not, isn't a thing done by someone just on their day off of making clothes.

He's being sarcastic. The point is the film was unsubtle as fuck.

Some parts of it were dull and yeah some shots were not great, but overall I thought it was fun to dissect. There's a lot going on.

I'm curious if people who didn't like it were just too turned off by some of the things which seemed "manipulative" and obvious, like the REVENGE picture and some of the scene transitions, to give it a fair shot.

I think I gave it as fair as shot as to any other film.
The more it progressed, the more unsubtle, ham-fisted it became. The montage between worlds was so outrageous it could be seen as camp. Which it probably will be- as a whole- in a couple of decades, as classic melodramas are now.

But wasn't it all purposeful? Not the camp, I mean, but the relationships between the two worlds and between two scenes. They were purposeful and not always surface level. Sometimes they were surface level, but sometimes they would imply something that really took a lot of thought to work out.

With a film like this, It seems like you can choose to focus on the camp or to focus on all of the questions it's raising. It sort of raises questions at a rapid pace and I don't know why you would choose to focus on some of the unsubtle stuff when there is a lot of deeper stuff to look at

I mean, you could be right about how it will be seen in the future, but it just seems disingenuous when it's not exactly a generic, stupid film.

Indeed, it gives good ground to both readings, one engaged on the self-seriousness of the thematic matters, and one by looking on the modes things are shown.
Divisiveness and disagreement with films like this one are very natural, then.

Fair enough.

I just feel like if you want to be cynical about it, it's very easy. But the same is true for virtually every film. How do you choose what to be cynical about and what to be receptive of? I don't know.

>everything needs to be subtle for a refined gentlesir like me to enjoy

>implying subtlety isn't better

fuck off pleb

>fictional book inside a fictional movie
The only time this works is with fairytales.

Most people didn't understand it though.

Really? Huh

I like to think that he killed himself in the end.

so we agree that it was the little slut's fault right?
they were driving away but she gave them the finger and that pissed them off, so they came back.
I'm so glad she got fucked, literally paused the movie to have a quick wank thinking about how all 3 of them took turns on her.

YEAH IT'S FUCKING GOOD UNLESS YOU START WATCHING IT WITH HEADPHONES ON AND YOUR MOTHER COMES IN YOUR ROOM TO PUT YOUR CLOTHES AWAY AND SEES YOU WATCHING THE OPENING SEQUENCE.

Damn, bro, so edgy

The villain in the movie is literally amy adams

was he a metaphor for the guy amy adams cheated on or am i overthinking it

cheated with i mean

He was the metaphor for Amy himself.

Both of them said that Gyllenhaal was weak and useless.
Both of them were 'Nocturnal Animals'.
Both of them took away his family (Ray killed and murdered the book mother and daughter, Susan aborted their child without telling him and dumped him for another man)

That's what I got from it at least.

you're probably right, for some reason simply cus he's a guy with a certain charisma I was drawing a parallel to armie hammers character, but I agree he's definitely amy's insert now I think about it

I liked this movie very much. That highway scene provided the most tension of any scene since...Inglourious Basterds? Michael Shannon is always good. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was surprisingly good. Amy Adams is always good, and she was sexy. Jake is always good. No, it isn't subtle, and it doesn't have anything profound to say, but the Jake storyline kept me riveted, and how it related to the Amy story made it somewhat meaningful. I appreciate Tom Ford's visual flair as a director. Having said all of that, it pales in comparison to A Single Man.

>it pales in comparison to A Single Man.

That's because Colin Firth is one hell of an actor

Indeed. I consider that performance to be one of the best of the century so far. He absolutely should've won his Oscar for that instead of The King's Speech.

Unusual Suspects.

It's an entire movie about a story being told by a character inside the movie.

I thought it was pretty profound.

The movie is an explanation of the value and purpose of art. Amy Adams thinks that art is meaningless and by the end it's turned her whole self-worth and ego upside down. Art is all about communicating different perspectives, and she finally gets to see herself from the perspective of somebody she hurt. That's profound, if you ask me.

Thought the same. Great movie, loved the noir vibe it had

"Memento", "Amores Peros", "Irreversible", "Pulp Fiction", "Rashomon", & "3rd Person"

Movie was great, the highway scene was fantastic. The guy has only made one more movie besides Nocturnal Animals andi it is Single Man, worth a watch?

On another note, how the fuck does BASED JAKE gets these recent roles in all these awesome thriller/dramas that aren't some same old same old but are actually pretty fucking awesome and usually have some good rewatchability:
Nocturnal Animals, Nightcrawler, Enemy, Prisoners, End of Watch.
Doubt Life will be good as the cunt's only made mediocre action thrillers.

>edgy
>it's a movie and nothing actually happened
You should check out the comments on liveleak videos, that'll yank you outta that perspective real fast

There's actually quite a lot of subtlety, except it's more about the nature of the revenge. It being about revenge was always incredibly obvious anyway.

He uses his star power to bring good scripts to the spotlight. Doesn't just pick the one that pays most

A Single Man is absolutely worth a watch. It's on Netflix streaming, I think. Colin Firth gives an Oscar-worthy performance, it looks beautiful (costumes, cinematography), got a great score, and it'll make you feel things.

No, it won't. Each place has his own perspectives at whatever events. The 'community' of someplace like liveleak is expected to behave in way, as the one here in another. Within the context, that was an edgelord post, made for replies.
And being fiction doesn't need to be an excuse for engagement to not exist.

The film was filled with basic technical and general filmmaking flaws

>Amy and Jake are underutilised, Shannon and Johnson outshine them all (and it's certainly not because of Ford)
>Jake has an accent which he loses depending on the take (not the narrative)
>out of place bad editing between wide shots and close up's
>jarring color pallete difference between the two narratives that doesn't blend at all
>a lot of "I'm acting!" scenes and cheesy oneliners
>framing and composition of the landscapes felt like a film student trying to copy NCFOM landscapes
>all the night scenes have too bright obvious lighting like it's brightest moon in existence
>laughable phoneclip jump scare scene
>too on the nose symbolism with clues being literally spelled out in text form behind the characters

All these are meant between takes, not the two narratives. Except my color grading point, but I still stand by it.

The movie is filled with scenes where you "see" that it is an actor acting infront of a camera, just take a shot everytime Amy Adams character stops reading the book and looks at the ceiling all nervous and aggravated, you will be drunk halfway into the movie.

I don't think it's awful, but it's not something worth of praise either.
Quite apparent that Ford is first and foremost a fashion designer, not a film director

I've seen this post in 10 Nocturnal Animals threads.

Not the poster, but sometimes you gotta insist/spam for a point. Not sure if this is the case

What CapeShit flick should Tom Ford direct ?

Do people actually like this movie? Even based Michael Shannon AND based Jake AND fucking Amy Adams couldn't stop the writing and directing from being boring and pedantic as fuck.

i would have thought this was a 10/10 if i didn't spend half the movie screaming internally about how no man would ever let anything that was happening happen.

this guy gets it

Your ideas of masculinity are a bit exaggerated, it seems. Or you're just high on teenage hormones. Real life isn't so clear-cut

underrated boobies get

>put up a fight against 3 homicidal men with weapons
>get killed
>end of book, end of story
gj

the guy acted like a fucking lunatic passed some crazy guy then went a normal speed.. let himself get hit in his car multiple times instead of stepping on the brakes and turning around.. then he pulled over and let the people take him and his family out of his car.. what the fuck does being angry about that have to do with masculinity? By the time i saw the bodies all i could think was that the guy fucking deserved it. The rest of the movie was good but you can make a good movie where someone is realistically put in a horrible situation. People in real life would try to avoid this.....

oh and if you weren't retarded you would understand you were supposed to be angry with him for letting this all happen because he was angry with himself and blamed himself...this movie has no subtlety at all... he later shows that he is angry with himself for allowing it to happen but still wants to take revenge because even though he allowed it he himself was not evil.

This movie attempts to deliver alot of meta-points, and to spark controversy.
At these moments, it feels incredibly cheesy, resulting in unimmersion.

The highway sequence was good - it delivered good tensions, which is something it fails at in most other parts.

Something this movie excels at, is drawing the picture of what Jake Gyllenhaal's character has turned into in real life, without actually showing his character reappear after all these years.
We know he is hurt, angry and lost, but the question dangles in front of the viewer: does these emotions still manifest?

However, it remains clear this is a movie about revenge from the get-go after the driving-scene.
Ford wants the viewer to draw their own parallells and questions, but only after hamfisted hints at the correct answers.

This movie is not smart or cinematically progressive, which I often felt like was a lot of the point of 'Nocturnal Animals'. It is almost like it's poking fun at its self-awareness nature of how silly and dumb art, and even the world itself can be. This is not a cinematic masterpiece, this is a critique of modern lifestyle.

5/10

It was brilliant. First half was best, but I loved that they didn't show the ex husband in the present. Made the whole thing more unsettling, it's a shame the book's ending was so boring.

>mfw people didn't understand it

It's shit. Stop shilling it already.