Filmmaking

Does anyone know how/where I can learn film/video production basics? Like how to operate cameras, lighting, lenses, capturing sound etc.?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NVIbirzZn0M
pcpartpicker.com/list/43wXZ8
coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/elite-430-black/
learnaboutfilm.com/film-language/
designingsound.org/2010/02/sound-design-essentials-6-recommended-books-and-11-google-books-links/
goodreads.com/shelf/show/sound-design
sound.stackexchange.com/questions/200/what-sound-design-books-have-influenced-you-the-most
filmsound.org/newbooks.htm
creatingsound.com/learning/books/
musicofsound.co.nz/blog/sound-design-book-list
pastebin.com/WajU1V5d
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buy an iphone and wing it

youtube

buy a dslr and just practice

you better be jewish as fuck if you want to make a career out of it

Any channels / videos you'd recommend?

bump

look for local crew no/low-budget gigs and offer to be a runner. when you've built a resume off that, apply to be a script advisor, camera assistant, etc. something that lets you watch/be a part of the process

Indy Mogul
FilmRiot
Filmmaker IQ
Digital Corridor for pew pew

Come up with an idea for a short, nothing elaborate something you can do with one, two or three people. Story board your short and then just look up tutorials on how to create each shot/scene

To get started I recommend learning how to do the basic 3 point lighting.
youtube.com/watch?v=NVIbirzZn0M

DSLRGuide

I'm currently picking parts for my first ever build. It's intended for video editing (and things related to that such as color grading).

This is the WIP:
pcpartpicker.com/list/43wXZ8

However, I'm not entirely sure if I'm picking the right stuff. For example, the motherboard and the video card are ones I picked because they came recommended at the tier level, but I have no idea if they're appropriate.

Also, I haven't picked a case yet. I'm considering this one since it seems spacious enough and cheap, but I'm not the biggest fan of bright LEDs:
coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/elite-430-black/
Can the LEDs be turned off?

If someone could give me some advice I would be extremely grateful.

learnaboutfilm.com/film-language/

Just don't fall for his meme of only using a t3i instead of a fullframe camera or even a 70d

>buy a dslr and just practice
Any product recommendations?

Seconding this^

Cinematography Database
RocketJump Film School
Film Riot
DSLRguide

But the most important thing is to actually make movies, short skits one scenes whatever.
You have to be aware that no matter how much you read about it, all of your first projects will be trash. That's just how it is.
And by pushing through all the trash you learn from it and maybe some day you start making something decent and someone recognizes it.

You just have to push through and have an irrational amount of love for filmmaking to get anywhere.

I'm going to use this thread to dump shit that I've gathered from extensive research and links posted by other anons on previous threads on this issue.
If you don't want to go to film school and you feel like you can learn it all on your own and make it on your own, then you are gonna have to study a lot if you want to be a good filmmaker. And although you won't get things right at first, and you'll make a lot of mistakes regardless of how much you study, you have to learn from it and push through.
I hope these can help you. I'll try to cover as many bases as I can.

Useful sites and blogs

reduser
cinematography.com
cinematography mailing list
dvxuser
theblackandblue.com
cinearchive.org
wolfcrow.com
mystery man on film
philipbloom.net
wordplayer.com
r/screenwriting (yeah yeah it's reddit I know, but there's some actual pros posting there)
donedealpro
creativecow
post magazine
theasc.com & american cinematographer
cinefex
And go on /photography/, there's a lot you can learn there about shot composition and video.

Books

Cinematography
Cinematography: Theory and Practice - Blain Brown
The Five C's of Cinematography
The Camera Assistant's Manual -- David Elkins
Practical Cinematography -- Paul Wheeler
Painting With Light
Motion Picture and Video Lighting -- Blain Brown
Set Lighting Technician's Handbook: Film Lighting - Harry C.Box
The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction - Steve Hullfish
freddie young, james wong howe, vittorio storaro, nestor almendros all wrote and/or are the subject of really great books

And check out the works of Freddie Young, James Wong Howe, Vittorio Storato, Nestor Almendros and Leo Braudy as well, they have great books on the subject.

Books on sound:
Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - Davis Yewdall
designingsound.org/2010/02/sound-design-essentials-6-recommended-books-and-11-google-books-links/
goodreads.com/shelf/show/sound-design
sound.stackexchange.com/questions/200/what-sound-design-books-have-influenced-you-the-most
filmsound.org/newbooks.htm
creatingsound.com/learning/books/
musicofsound.co.nz/blog/sound-design-book-list

Books on editing:
Technique of Film Editing -- Karl Reisz
Everything by or about Walter Murch and Slavko Vorkapich
Cut to the Chase: Forty-Five Years of Editing America's Favourite Movies - Sam O'Steen,
When the Shooting Stops - Ralph Rosenblum
Technique of Editing -- Ken Dancyger

Visual Effects
Filming the Fantastic -- Mike Sawiki
Any "Behind the Scenes" or "Director's Commentary" is also useful

Acting:
Jean Benedetti's translations of stanislavski
Technique of Acting -- Michael Chekhov
And everything by Robert Cohen

Storyboarding & Visual Language:
Directing the Story - Francis Glebas
The Master Shots series by Christopher Kenworthy
Cinematic Storytelling -- Jennifer Van Sijill
The Cinema as a Graphic Art - Vladimir Nilsen

>And go on /photography/, there's a lot you can learn there about shot composition and video

This may be the first time I saw someone mention /p/ on Sup Forums, there is some hope for Sup Forums after all.

Ralph the movie maker

He's obviously biasedcrowards his T3i, and downplays other options too much, but his videos unironically look better than those of 99% of filmmaking vloggers who use much better gear.

*biased towards

Production Design/Art Direction
Filmmaker's Guide To Production Design -- Lobrutto
The Art Direction Handbook For Film -- Michael Rizzo

Directing & Production:
Rebel Without A Crew
Making Movies -- Sidney Lumet
The Total Filmmaker -- Jerry Lewis
Film Directing Fundamentals -- Proferes
Lloyd Kaufman's Your Own Damn Movie Series
The Jaws and Evil Dead 2 commentary
Producer's Business Handbook -- Lee & Gillen
Kurosawa's Something Like An Autobiography
Getting Away With It -- Soderbergh
So You Want To Be A Producer -- Turman
Kazan On Directing
Stanislavski Directs -- Gorchakov
Ready When You Are -- Ziesmer

Theory, Criticism, History:
Film Technique And Film Acting -- Pudovkin
On Filmmaking -- Mackendrick
Sculpting In Time - Andrei Tarkovsky (this one is practically mandatory reading)
Notes On The Cinematographer - Robert Bresson
The Innocence Of The Eye
The Dramatic Imagination -- Robert Edmund Jones
The Visual Story -- Bruce Block
And everything By David Bordwell, Kristin Thompson, Hitchcock, Truffaut, Cocteau and J.Dudley Andrew

Writing:
Adventures In The Screen Trade
Which Lie Did I Tell
Monster -- John Gregory Dunne
Art Of Dramatic Writing -- Lajos Egiri

And here's a pastebin for everything in regards to equipment and editing and whatnot
pastebin.com/WajU1V5d

Thank you, kind user

And finally, you could also read up on the philosophy of aesthetics and check out youtube channels such as RocketJump Film School.

On regards to film school: Depending on the school it's actually very useful in the occasion that you can't just start making your own shorts and hope to be lucky enough to be recognized. You go from not knowing where to begin, to knowing all the steps and procedures necessary, and depending on the school you can even learn how to do a lot of jobs and you get the freedom to film your own project and show it to film festivals.
But do NOT expect to get a job the moment you get out of school, they cannot magic a career out of thin air for you. You don't have to go to film school to be a filmmaker, but it gives you at least some sort of grounding and it's good for having access to equipment and to meet people (and this is extremely important in the industry).
If you are curious as to whether or not you really want to, or need to, go to film school, I'd start by making a few films by yourself just to figure if you realistically want to do this. You don't want to go through 1-4 years of school just to realize you dont have the ambition it takes to actually make a movie. It takes a lot of energy, time and money to get anything made. You might also want to consider branching into every aspect of film to get a better idea of how it all works before you focus on becoming a "director".
The greatest benefit of going to school for film making is that you will be surrounded by people with the same interest as you who want to make films. As long as you all realize that film is a COLLABORATIVE MEDIUM and you have to work together to get anything made, then you might have a chance to enter the industry.

And I conclude this dump by emphasizing this: MAKE YOUR OWN MOVIES.
Try a hundred times, fail a hundred times, and keep on trying until you make it.
But you at least have to try.

I hope this was useful.

Muwaahhahh the french

bumping for an answer.

Canon T2i, T3i
Though i'd advise you to not get a DSLR and go with mirrorless.
Check out the Sony A5100, A6000, Panasonic G7, GH3, and GH4

Thanks user.