Roman kino about a general who became a gladiator

>Roman kino about a general who became a gladiator
>has Russell Crowe
>has Joaquin Phoenix
>best character is oldman Marcus Aurelius

What did Ridley Scott mean by this?

Marcus Aurelius was god tier historically, so why would it be any different in film?

but the best character is Commodus.

Nah, Proximo is the GOAT

Shitty acted imo

My name is Glenn Diator

>My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

so fucking hype whenever i hear this line

still one of my favourite manly man movies along with Braveheart and the 13th warrior which i watch every yera

Have I not just enthralled you!? HAVE I NOT ENTHRALLED!?

Keep it in church

>On this day, we reach back to hallowed antiquity, to bring you a recreation of the second fall of the mighty Carthage!... On the barren plain of Zama, there stood the invincible armies of the barbarian Hannibal. Ferocious mercenaires and warriors from all brute nations, bent on merciless destruction, conquest. Your emperor is pleased to give you the barbarian horde!

/ourguy/?

He came across pretty dumb in the film

>I conquered Europe by myself lel
>I hope my son won't be mad at me for ignoring him my whole life and passing up his inheritance

>not putting emphasis on "THE BARBARIAN HORDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

you fucking ruined it

I never understood how black charioteers were supposed to represent the roman army

Affirmatus Actionus

Why was there a woman in the pit anyway? Did historical Rome actually use female gladiators?

yeah, I think they were segregated though and probably not to the death

I still get chills every time the chariots burst out of the gates and the Zimmer score ramps up

Ridley Scott is a Stoic confirmed.

it was a stylistic choice. I didn't mind it. The soldiers uniforms were also over the top ornate. the movie wasn't trying to be historical it was trying to be epic and artistic both of which I think it achieved

Anyone here actually read Meditations? Does it still hold up? I'm thinking about picking it up.

My friend got it for me for Christmas 3 years ago but I've never read it even though I intend to.

>/ourguy/?
he was a fucking queer like you user

Roman Legionaries were conscripted from every one of their provinces. The Romans didn't give a shit about race or religion, all they wanted was your money and your men.

Google Septimius Severus. Turns out they wuz emperors as well.

Inb4 WHEAT

its kind of like 'art of war' in that it concisely frames some very complex ideas but those ideas have since become common place and youll probably be familiar with most of them ... amazing it was written so long ago, very psychologically astute

I read some, I prefer Epictetus though, Meditations is too much about Marcus Aurelius' great childhood, being mentored and having every need taken care of and still being like 'I don't wear expensive clothes so I'm basically a monk" when some people have to choose between buying clothes and buying food. Maybe you're so relaxed because you never have to worry about things like food, house upkeep or maintaining employment, and have been groomed since childhood to succeed.

Aurelius and to a lesser extent Seneca are like Jews telling you you don't need money to be happy while they funnel money into offshore accounts to pay for their second yacht with the evaded income tax.

Epictetus OTOH was a slave with a gimped leg so his advice is real. He's also more direct and doesn't talk about himself.

The Romans couldn't into cavalry so they hired it out

Discourses and the Handbook were GOAT.

Severus wasn't black though, he was from modern day Libya. If anything he would have been closer to Berber.
Thanks, I'll look into Epictetus.