/hor/

Just watched Final Prayer/The Borderlands and loved it. It had a definite Blair Witch '99 vibe to it but with more humor and a demon-in-a-church angle in place of a witch-in-the-woods.

What other horror movies from the last 10 or so years have been pleasant surprises?

Honorable Mention: Observance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W2ot6ogGZNc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I was pretty bored during Borderlands but the ending was unexpected and creepy.

Pleasantly surprised by The Neon Demon, Final Destination 5 off the top of my head.

and possession of michael king.

Pretty good movie, I really liked the atmosphere.

I cried when they got lost inside the plastic bag is the end

The ending made the movie for me.

A good part of the movie is boring, they're talking, walking etc... But there was some creepy scenes.
But I wasn't expecting the filmmakers to pull something like that in the end. It was probably one of the most shocking ending scene I've seen. And one of the scariest... Imagine being these guys :'(

Definitely. Without that ending the film would be forgettable.

I watched Poltergeist recently and it was shit except for a handful of the practical effects. Why do modern viewers continue to heap praise upon this corny garbage?

Guys get ready, "THE VOID" shills are coming

I like the sense of isolation, the small English town, and the authentic chavs

10/10 ending. Is low-key one of the best Lovecraftian horror movies ever made.

Gonna be honest, I saw THE VOID in all caps from further up the screen and assumed it was a shill post.

As for OP's actual question, gonna go with Kill List, Başkin, and Train to Busan.

THE VOID

It's indeed very lovecraftian. The ending is haunting.

Oh, also, CHECK OUT THE VOID COMING SOON.

The Innkeepers, even though it was a little slow

Is there perhaps a trailer for The VOID?

youtube.com/watch?v=W2ot6ogGZNc here user

The marketing team is shilling this one VERY HARD

this was awful

turned off the TV once the CGI cracks in the ceiling appeared

How did it end?

With a rolling credits screen

I meant whats the twist that everyones gushing over

I'm on the same camp desu. I thought the movie was kinda meh, but that ending was really quite something. Didn't redeem the movie or anything, but fuck. Glad I sat through it just to get to that.

Eh, could tell you but it wouldn't be the same. It's not a twist ending or anything like that, but more like what the movie has been leading up to without really telling us, though when it happens it makes sense. But it's really the kind of experience you have to "earn" by knowing what came before it. So just watch it. It might surprise you too.

I did not like The Void it seemed like a cheap V/H/S, cool poster though

As this guy said, you have to see it.
But here's a hint...
Someone must have some stomach pain after the ending.

Read the thread, You'll enjoying the film more if you don't though

I usually despise jump-scares movies, but BANSHEE CHAPTER scared the shit out of me for some reasons. It's exactly the kind of story that scares me, to begin with, so maybe I was more " in the mood" to get scared by jump-scares.

remember when horror movie posters were art ?

It's not a twist, it's just a very satisfying and unexpected payoff that justifies most of the time you spent watching the movie. Being told what it is won't do anything for you, it'll just prevent you from getting the most from your experience if you ever choose to watch it.

UH-GREED

Anyone have thoughts on Starry Eyes? I saw it recently and enjoyed it a lot, but in reflecting on it I don't think I was actually scared by it at any point.

amazing head-bashing scene tho

I thought this thread was about Into the Borderlands. Top tier apocalyptic kung fu kino

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT IN THE ENDING. JUST FINISHED IT. WHAT THE FUCK?????

Also, why is deacon, during a good portion of the movie, all "it's all real" and then during the catacombs portion he switches to "it's not real at all lol".

BUT WHAT THE FUCK.

[spoilers]I get that they were using the orphanage as a front to provide children for food, but what the fuck[/spoilers]

Because his survivor instinct kicks in and he tries to convince himself it's not real, I mean, what would you do in this situation ? The guys are TRAPPED. Or he was a liar since the beginning.

Deacon is trying to be a professional, but he's also simultaneously trying to justify their being in bumfuck nowhere in the first place. Deacon has experience debunking those sorts of things, but his commitment to that role means he's not willing to leave any stone unturned - despite Mark's relative skepticism. There's also an implication that Deacon is trying to spook Gray a little bit because he's irritated by the latter's conspicuous lack of religious belief.

Once they're down in the catacombs though, he's scared witless. He's doing anything he can to cope with the fact that they're in very very deep shit.

Oh, more retro 80s memery, makes me care so much

The Borderlands was fucking great, loved it, especially as an M.R. James fan. I wouldn't call it Lovecraftian, though, not enough of the core themes are there and giant monster doesn't cut it.

The (Mithras) Conspiracy is a fantastic one, really creepy in the final parts.

The Taking of Deborah Logan is pretty good, too, good imagery, and Alzheimer's is scary regardless.

I honestly loved Lake Mungo, it was a fantastic little ghost story that never went too far, it was consistent and that's a lot to ask for these days. The sex with the neighbours subplot was weird and pointless, though.