Next Fantasy kino

All of these are getting tv series, which are Sup Forums most looking forward to.

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1079959/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Never read nor heard of any of them (except watching the American Gods trailer).

American Gods

None, as much as I like the books I think cast is wrong

I love the night watch that painting has a strong fucking atmosphere didnt know there was a book and now a show damn nigger wow im happy thats strange

That's Angua from the Sky adaption, the Night Watch series is going to be by the BBC

I know. Watch as they make her black in the BBC.
I swear to God if they make Vetinari black and not Idris Elba I'll lose my shit

Barker's already had adaptations and they inevitably turn to shit the longer they go on. Pratchett's going to be indistinguishable from the rest of shit-tier Britian Pythonesque humor. Pullman is alright, but it's really going to be young adult audiences they have to shoot for if they're keeping true to the source material.

Never read Gaiman.

what's the rating of American Gods? If they'll stay faithful it should be R rated

Pratchett already had 3 miniseries and they were allright

Let me ask you this. Did you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Did you enjoy The Holy Grail?

It's on Starz, the network that brought us Spartacus: Blood and Cocks, of course it's R-rated.

American Gods

HGttG not really, Holy Grail yes, but more importantly I enjoyed the book and previous miniseries
Christopher Lee as Death was great

Christopher Lee as death.

Alright, consider my interest piqued. Who plays Rincewind?

>tfw will never be adapted

imdb.com/title/tt1079959/
David Jason, aka Del Boy

Fuck me, David Jason, Christopher Lee, Brian Cox, Tim Curry, Jeremy Irons... how did this fly under my radar?

You're good people, user.

they made Hogfather and Going Postal, as well, albeit with less known cast.
Unless you count Charles Dance as Lord Vetinari

Only read the Night Watch out of those 4 and that was 10+ years ago, and it didnt leave any lasting impressions. Not looking forward to any of them... only fantasy books i want to see a screen adaptation of at this point are Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy, and thats only because its "low-fantasy", can be easily translated to screen and is marketable to modern audiences.

This could make a good series.

>grimdark fantasy is in right now, thanks to GoT
>overarching plot about saving the world from evil big baddies
>war and invasion angle in the northern realms to add additional conflict and tell stories about the human cost of war, etc
>monster hunting
>strong wimmin witches
>Geralt as a badass protag
>potentially Ciri as a strong wimminz alternate protagonist that wouldn't suck
>boobies
>Geralt kicking ass and being a fucking detective

Damn, I'm hyping myself up.

you should read American Gods. Is sort of low fantasy and very relatable for modern audience

I'd rather have monster of the week style show

I think it could work as a GoT-style show about political turmoil and whatnot with fantastical bad guys in a white walker type role, but for the first season or two, have every other episode show Geralt hunting different monsters and shit before diving into the main conflict.

but then you're just making GoT2

Pretty much, but it's the Witcher. Hell, I'd be ok with following young Geralt as he is trained. I just want some fucking medieval detective/swordplay kino.

Is this the start of fantasy kino?

It is about time we got some decent fantasy that isn't GoT.

His Dark Materials could be interesting, though I haven't seen anything about who's making it or who's starring in it. It's a shame the movie trilogy never got past the first installment. As far as the others, I'm game. I've read all but the Clive Barker one so I'll give some attention to the adaptations just to see how they compare and contrast to the books. As an avid reader I always go into watching adaptations with an open mind because I understand it's a totally different creature from the book. I don't know why so many people get uptight and butthurt about loose adaptations or having to change things to fit the screen format.

I suspect Ian McShane will make American Gods watchable, especially if they give Odin more screen time

His Dark Materials is going to be a series that lives or dies on the strength of its child actors.

Hopefully they don't mutate into goblins like every other prepubescent British actor.

Sadly The Color of Magic is terrible, completely butchered and miscast.

Hogfather however is good and Going Postal is really great.

Weaveworld is pure Clive Barker (aside from the lack of demons with huge erections). Great Atmosphere, original as fuck, shitty final act.

Will be interesting to see how they handle women fighting aborted fetuses with their period magic.

They don't always

The Golden Compass movie was terrible to be honest, aside from the perfect casting of the two adults.

>Lead girl couldn't keep her accent up and kept slipping out of it.
>The film kinda just went from one set piece to another without there being any sort of flow or point
>cutting the ending which flips the whole story on its head.

I always felt that the "zomg teh catholics hate us!" was overblown as fuck. It wouldn't be the first film were the bad guys and even the books are fairly ambiguous (heck it even says the angels and gods were imposters from the start and implies there are real ones)

Not read it for literal decades. Isn't it full of cuckoldry as well? Weaveworld and Everville.

Nah Weaveworld was probably where Barker started his weird erotic breed of feminism but it's largely faithful monogomy and the guy does save the day in the end despite the woman being the powerful magician

The Great and Secret Show trilogy is full of cuckoldry though.

Ew.

This

Oh shit, Weaveworld! I wonder what The Scourge will look like on tv.

Is the Night Watch actually being done. Last time I heard any news on it was like 3 years ago. It's been in development hell.

I saw one half episode of Shannara and decided never to watch fantasy adaptations ever again.

Just stop doing that to yourself.
It's basically self-mutilation.

>trilogy
He wrote the 3rd one? What's it called?

40k. Emperors life, ending in the Heresy.

Idris Elba plays the Emperor, Malcador, Horus, the four Chaos gods and Rowboat Girlyman.

There are WAY too many Riftwar books out there.

Best bet for anything W40k would be Horus Heresy. There are so many small and large stories to work with, and a huge confrontation building up to.

>go without looking up the series for a year
>they've shat out multiple books
They're at what, 40+ books?

I'm into 40k, been for like 15 years now, i've never read a single Heresy book and i have no idea where to begin. Doesnt matter, keep it simple enough for 2 hours for the movie.

naw definitely gaunts ghosts, imperial guard would be way cheaper to make shows about than anythign with astartes and primarchs and shit

I think is right in that going with a somewhat more subdued approach would work better so you don't have to blow your load completely. Think how Dredd handled the universe of 2000AD from a more grounded perspective without tackling crazy shit like Death Judges, mutants, etc. For 40k that would probably be a Imperial Guard focused story with Space Marines showing up at some point to save the day like demigods or something.

Ingrid's been my waifu ever since that movie.

In dev since 2011. Probably long dead.

I often wonder how in the sea of shit that CW makes for their teen audience they never adapted this, the most popular teen book series of the late 90s. it seems like it would fit right into their demo.