Is this the most overrated movie of all time?

Is this the most overrated movie of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Weaop_aiTg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, youre just a pleb.

I actually though it was boring as hell aside from one or two parts. Not even memeing here.

Yes it is
you can go back to plebbit happy now

Godfather II, actually. GF1 is interesting the whole way through, GF2 is just Michael having some minor turbulence in his life and nothing is ever really at stake.

Apocalypse Now > The Godfather

YES

this isnt shawshank redemption

don't get me wrong I like the film, but it is objectively the most overrated film of all time

t. capeshit-lovin' faggot

Fucking this. Part 3 is even worse.

Have you seen it in its entirety? I remember seeing bits and pieces and it didn't impress me either, but once I saw the whole thing I loved it.

No, Shawshank Redemption is.

The parts set in the past with Robert de Niro are great, but I agree, the "present-day" portions of Godfather II are not too great

The scene where Michael's wife is howling about her abortion is the height of melodrama

Yes. May I suggest an acronym? "The Hollywood Establishment's Glorification Of Downright Fascists As Tragic Heroes Exceeds Reason".

It's not overrated at all, you're just either a pleb or you've decided to be a contrarian.

I find the Fredo betrayal plotline more interesting than the rest.

The part people praise godfather part II for is the Fredo scene. they ignore the rest, like the house being shot up, or the "villain" roth just being some guy with too much time and money on his hands.

godfather part i told a story, a rise to power, godfather ii wasn't a rise or decline, a story in the day of the life of a mob boss, and it was just a regular wednesday to him. i'm not against regular, everyday normal stories, but it can't be the best fucking movie ever, it has to be an episode

Vaffanculo, eh?

No, because Vertigo is

No, that would be scarface

Nope, what makes Part II great is that it's connected to Part I. You can watch the first movie and enjoy it on its own, but the second one relies too heavily on it's ties to the first one. It just builds on it.

Actually it's Plebfellas

>my favorites foods are lobster and skittles

I agree it's overrated, but >2001 is much worse.

For me, it's the McChicken

Yeah I saw it all the way through. It just seemed like a disjointed story of Pacino's ascension to mob boss. Very slow paced and didn't have a big payoff. Maybe I'm just a pleb who can't appreciate nuance.

>shawshank redemption
>titanic
>the two towers
>the return of the king
>avatar
>lost in translation

Kek no

>the Fredo scene
Which Fredo scene? The ending? His death?

Probably this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=5Weaop_aiTg

It's not Lost in Translation, so no.

>titanic
>avatar
Both very good but not great, which is what most people rate them. Rated exactly correctly.

>Boring
That's pleb talk for "I don't like character development"
Part II was better because it showed Vito's rise to power, and Michael did have somewhat of a moral decline, seeing as he killed his own brother

>titanic
>11 oscars

Ok user

well, Dork knight exist so no

>shawshank redemption
>the dark knight
>interstellar

interstellar was the best movie of the century so far and the critical was response was "meh" so i don't think it is overrated

trilogy is
first one is ok

and go grab a book you faggot

10 years ago i would have said yes but now the honor goes to Dark Knight

>t pleb

>lost in translation
>LOTR

off yourself

i think the abortion thing was a sicilian thing, and supposed to be a big deal within that group

pure kino

>interstellar was the best movie of the century so far

Although it was the best cinema-going experience I've had so far

>he thinks he's smart because he likes a movie that everyone tells him to like

yeah, goodfellas was pretty cute but it is one of scorceses least interesting movies. it is overhyped by people who work in offices who wish they were cool enough to be in a gang

Oh no did your fragile illusions of these mediocrities' grandeur collapse because of a post on a Mongolian calligraphy site

>tough italians act tough, the movie
what character development?

name a movie you thought was better and we can all have a sensible chuckle

i don't understand the distinction

fucking this

Now that is hardcore contrarianism. After you have grown up few years and seen couple thousand movies you will distinguish good movies from bad movies... and Godfather 1 & 2 are not bad movies by any stretch of the imagination. Sure we all have our personal biases that might make a movie great or completely unwatchable. But please, by all means, elaborate upon the erroneous film making practices drag down the quality of Godfather 1 & 2 and make them most overrated ever?

Not if the plot fizzles out like a candle. BORING

Obviously Apocalypse Now is one of the best movies ever made

>LotR
>not criminally underrated

you mean inception

Of course not. You're just a young homo who's seen everything that aped the genre into cliche-land and you, therefore, think that it's nothing special. This was an innovative story and is an all time great for a reason.

ding ding ding.
silence of the lambs comes close too.

The Godfather II > Apocalypse Now > The Godfather I > The Conversation > The Godfather III >>>>> your favourite flick

>the Godfather III >>>>> Miami Vice

Overrated by people
>the best scifi i have ever seen
>nolan is genius
>i didnt understand the ending but it was fucking amazing
Nolan is shit tier director and the ending where he cleverly explains everything failed flat. Also it had many plot holes.

Not him but The Master, The Piano Teacher and Happy Together. These are the ones i have seen recently.

why do you love godfather 2 so much? the story is boring as fuck and uninteresting compared to the first one.

>ctrl+f
>citizen kane
>0 results found
Really? I know I can't be the only one. It's a very good film and all but I don't think it's the best thing ever like virtually every film "authority" in the history of mankind claims it to be.

proof that you havent even watched it

the only reason you believe that is because you havent seen enough older films to realize how fucking good it is for its time. Just watch any list of great movies chronologically and youll be blown away when you get to Citizen Kane because the jump in quality is so enormous. Literally took cinema at least 10 years forward in one leap.

>De Niro completely out of character up until that point kills the cartoon Don and becomes the boss.
>Also travels to Italy to emotionlessly act revenge without ever having done something like that before
>featuring fanservice cringe scene were "Ill make him an offer he cant refuse" is turned into Vito's catchphrase
>Character development

I is better than II solely because of how bad the Vito backstory is. Michaels story is triple A tier.

II is more a character study than a story. I is both. The abortion scene is critical to understand Michael's character and to really showcase his devolution into a tyrant instead of the family head he set out to become when Vito died.

Michael never understood what constitutes a functional family, yet he wants to emulate his father. He fails because unlike Vito, hes an individualist who sets his own goals ahead of those of the family. Ironically, this is the trait that he hates in Fredo which ends with Michael having him killed. Michael is a hypocrite who uses his family as a front to reach his own individual goals, he doesnt really care about them.

Name a single thriller better than SotL

Best actor, best actress, best picture, best director, best writing Oscars. For a fucking thriller. Its an unprecedented achievement and deserved too.

Psycho.

>Shawshank Redemption
yep

>pretending the Vito scenes were made up to pad out the movie and cater to "fanservice"

all those scenes are in the book, try again

>a couple thousand movies

>admitting your life is this empty

So in the books he literally uses the same phrase at several occasions? Even if that is true, it comes across as fan service, and as an adaptation with the freedom to pick and choose scenes theres no excuse for including such a cheesy line.

I have no doubt that the Vito backstory is in the books, but it is written poorly in the film, with no actual gradual character development, but instead jarring scenes that are out of character at the time they happen (like how Vito is so emotionless, efficient and matter of fact when he kills people who are presented as big deals, like the Don in New York and in Sicily).

He uses the phrase once in Godfather Part II, before the killing of Fanucci. Uses it maybe twice in the first movie. The rest of the scenes are right out of the book.

Vitos rise to power was so short, you should go read the one chapter from the book, it's very good and you don't need to read the rest of the book, it's stand-alone.

The scenes can be from the book as much as they want. I doubt the books went from Vito being a shopkeepers helper to stone cold killing another very dangerous man without any development in between. In the film theres none. That is my criticism.

The phrase is only used once in the first movie and in the most iconic scene with Brando. Therefore its fan service when a scene with the same phrase is included in a flash back. Its similar to Bruce Willis saying Yippi ki yay motherfucker in the Die Hard sequels. Its pure fan service and has no place in a serious drama.

In the books its one long chapter, but it does go into the development a bit more than the movie. It's not fanservice because it was part of the book too, it wasn't thrown in for chuckle fucks.