It's 2017 and Americans still use these

It's 2017 and Americans still use these.

Yep getting one later today

What's it like to live in the 1980s?

I've never seen a check in my life.
The only reason I'm familiar with the concept is american movies lmao.

I don't think most banks have them in their offering here.

we do it too

Only old people

the signature doesnt mean anything, there are more advanced security measures. we just like signing things

How about regal stamp?

Not bad desu

We usually only use them for things like rent. If you use it for something like groceries, people will get annoyed.

well the japanese still use fax machines

checks are still pretty common inside banks

I only use them to pay my rent. They give you a small discount if you pay with a check because of credit cards jewry. What form of payment do you use for large purchases in yuroland?

Either a credit or debit card, or bank transactions when online. Or cash if you are into that.

>What form of payment do you use for large purchases in yuroland?
Bank transfer
I don't think I've ever even seen a check in my life and I'm almost 30

I'm 23 and I've never written a check in my life. When I need to move cash I just get someone's routing number and do a direct deposit through an app on my phone.

The future is now.

There's nothing wrong with cheques. We still use them too.

>yuropoors just walk around with giant wads of cash when doing irl big purchases or else use the credit jew
lmao, checks do have a niche, albeit small it depends if there is a check cashing fee then its not worth

>What is a wire transfer

I've never written a check. A bank asked if I wanted a free checkbook when I opened an account and I wouldn't take it. So far I've gotten along. I just insist on transfer money electronically if they want something like a check.

a bank check is useful if you want to pay for a car and don't want to carry around 40k in cash

"hold up let me just wire some money for this item real quick"

I use checks for rent.

Yeah? It's instant unlike check

you think that's bad?

Try Germany where you can't pay by card in bars and restaurants 90% of the time

>tfw hate credit cards too
It's jewish tricks to get a cut from you

Shit, I only know these from old movies. Never seen one in reality.

My bank provides a credit/debit card free of charge. And the transactions doesn't cost anything extra. Where's the jewing part paying by a card?

People in England mostly use cash for rent cause it's cheaper than credit card jewry

>credit card jew
>modern payment technology intimidates me

>And the transactions doesn't cost anything extra
To you

I guess it's a norm here. Online bank transfers doesn't cost anything neither do the card transactions if you use euros. If it's in other currency they take a small fee

No, I mean the store is paying a transaction fee on payments with cards.

>transaction doesn't cost anything extra

>be Polish
>pay with debit card contactless everywhere, even small village shops
>go to Norway
>uhh paypass? what's that
why is Poland so forward with technology?

Well that's not my problem

Actually paypass is more modern technology than the traditional credit cars

nvm misread

>waiting for banking systems to credit the other persons account, having to wait over non business hours/days
have you ever heard of crypto?

we use checks here sometimes as well
grandma usually gives me a 500€ check at christmas for example
usually pay associations or clubs with checks too

We often buy cars with cash.

>Be American
>Take a look at the calendar every day to see when you have to pay rent
>It's that day of the week again. You pay your rent weekly because 4 weeks between payments would anger Mr Shecklestein
>Buy a new checkbook
>Write a check, looking up your landlord's bank account number and checking it 3 times
>Buy envelopes for the check
>Mail the check to your landlord
>Mailman gets shot on the way to Mr Sheckelstein
>Your check doesn't arrive
>Get evicted
>Die from exposure because what is social security

Some landlords won't accept rent in cash because there's no paper trail if there's a problem.

With a bank transfer, which is obviously free because it's 2017 and why on earth would you ever pay to send someone else money...

Checks are actually better if you need to post date them for like rent or transferring cash personally through friends. If you use a credit card there is a interchange fee charged to the merchant. No fee for a checks here.

How do you initiate a bank transfer? Do you go to the bank and ask them to or online? Checks here are just give the person a slip and they can either use an app to deposit it directly or they can use an ATM or the teller. I don't see how it can't get any more convenient then that especially when there is no fee either.

Yes

>log into your online bank account
>fill up the details
>pay
Takes literally under a minute and there's no fee and the money is transferred instantly

But I'd have to know the other persons banking details?

>Americans have to insert or swipe their debit cards
>Americans still have a 1¢ penny
>Americans don't have superior polymer money
>Americans don't have braille on their money for blind folk

E-transfers are really easy, I'm surprised you aren't using them yet. Go talk to your banque and they will set you up, you can even use your phone.

Yes ofc.

I thought they were common in every 1st world country. I don't even know how else you could pay your bills or send money. :DDDD

They are common here and I'm in the poor 3rd world part of Canada, no idea why the other Canuck isn't familiar with it yet.

is it really free?

We use the same system and mobile transfer too, but there are hidden fees minimal but still there.

Meh, seems easier if I just write their names and hand them a slip. But I guess it has its advantages if you rarely see people in real life.

Now that's neat.

It's free at my banque, up to $10,000 CAD per day so long as you pay from a chequing account. There are some minor fees for using a savings account I think.

I haven't seen a personal cheque in many years. It's way easier to pick up your phone and push a couple buttons than to write and deliver a slip of paper.

We can send money through an app. All you need is a phone number. Takes about 5 seconds to authenticate.

I write the guys name, amount date. Hand it over. I'm done. Don't need a string of numbers or a computer.

It's the same with bank transfer, but you don't need to hand it over and the money is transferred instantly. You don't have to queue for a bank.
Checks are really outdated they haven't been in use for almost 20 years

There are generally only a few things or people you pay and their "string of numbers" is already saved and you can pay with the push of a button.
Cheque:
>have to buy cheques
>have to fill them out
>have to balance budget manually
>have to order new cheques
>bad for trees
>have to physically deliver them to someone
>they then have to go to a banque and deposit it
Interac transfer:
>Enter acc# and routing# one time
>simply push a button thereafter
>environmentally friendly
>free
>instantaneous

Yeah but that's not my issue if the receiver has to wait in queue to deposit. If he wants he can use there bank app to deposit or use an ATM instead of a teller.

It's convenient to me to simply scribble his name and amount and hand him the slip. Like I said, if I could not see him in person then a e transfer would be best. But I rarely do financial transactions with people I don't see in person.

Seriously? You put bad for trees as a negative? Aren't we just scraping the bottom of the barrel now? I think we're done here.

We have this app where you just type in your friends number and click a button.
Ezpz

>It's convenient to me to simply scribble his name and amount and hand him the slip.
How is that more convenient? :D

Nah m8. Checks are more convenient

You're right, friend.
I'm a dumbo

Because if I do a transaction where I need to give a large amount of money in exchange for something I'm going to see him already. So I hand him a slip of paper while he hands over whatever I just bought that I couldn't have done with physical cash.

So how does the app differentiate all the different johns smiths at the bank? There has to be a unique account number to associate them with.

1, Your number is connected with your BankID in the app. The only downside with this is that the guy need the app too but it takes a maximum of 2 minutes to set it up and everyone has the app anyways.

2, If the guy doesn't want to downlod the app you can just ask the guy for his bank number and do this trough the regular bank app. Its instant.

If I had to deal with checks from my tenant, I would put extra hundred in the charge as my time is money.
I can't even remember when I last time had to use ATM or visit bank in real life.