/lbg/- Letterboxd General

Post your profiles, reviews, discuss, etc

QOTD: what does a cinephile's breath smell like?

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/gumbygb/
letterboxd.com/caiman/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-1000-greatest/
theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_ex1000.htm
strawpoll.me/12500389
letterboxd.com/nicht
letterboxd.com/lemonloafer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I log collections and standup specials.

Has anybody seen this?

It predates Seventh Seal.

I guess you chock another point up for America.

Beauty is fleeting, but so is everything else

Has anybody seen this?

It predates Death Takes A Holiday.

I guess you chock another point up for Sverige.

>based on a novel

Different story. Seventh Seal is more closer to Death Takes a Holiday in terms of existential and philosophical questions.

>philosophical questions
>DUDE WHAT IF DEATH WAS AN ACTUAL BEING AND YOU SIT DOWN AND PLAY CHESS LMAO

You're right. Death Takes a Holiday is more complex, asking questions such as why we fear death, what is love, and why do we have suicidal thoughts.

Pre-Code American cinema was very daring in its day, and that's still saying it lightly.

what kind of monster does this?

It also never fully addresses these questions forthright. It's done metaphorically via comedy of manners scenarios. Very intelligent script.

letterboxd.com/gumbygb/

Hey buds, hope everyone is doing good.

>that rating scale
Nice.

%\)

>I log BLACKED

>Government Plates higher than MBDTF and Old
>Government Plates on the same level as the rest of DG's releases
Really? I liked it, but I wouldn't give it higher than a 3.5.

Daily reminder that the pleb cut-off is 33%

letterboxd.com/caiman/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-1000-greatest/

This is good.

It has definitely grown on me. At this point I honestly just like all DG releases about the same for different reasons. Exmilitary has the raw energy and brutality as well as the samples. The Money Store has hook after hook and is just unforgettable as an album. NO LOVE DEEP WEB is the most lyrically dense. Government Plates has a mood that I have never experienced before and it makes me feel crazy. I think the final track, Whatever I want, is one of the best of their career.

In regards to it being above Old and MBDTF:
I have never been as big on Kanye as others have. There are some major weak points on MBFTF for me. I hate the Nicki Minaj intro. It actually makes me cringe. I hate everything about Gorgeous. I think the last few tracks are pretty weak and Runaway is way too long. I hate everything Jay-Z does on anything ever, but that's just my taste. I think it's a great album and I love a few tracks, but I like everything Death Grips has done more than it.

I think the second half of Old is pretty weak. Dubstep, Smokin & Drinkin, Break It (Go), Handstand, and Way Up Here are all pretty bad tracks for me. There are even some songs on the first half that I don't enjoy like Gremlins. That keeps it from being a really fantastic album for me even though I really like Danny and some of the tracks on there (Float On, Kush Coma, Red 2 Go, Lonely, 25 Bucks, Dope Song).

>no 5 star movies

What is it that every film created lacks in your opinion?

Is there anything like this for movies and TV?

>dude i don't like films lmao
>le no film is 5/5

people like you are the worst. you don't look cool by doing this. you look like a retard

>letterboxd.com/caiman/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-1000-greatest/
Who really takes these shit lists seriously when they're missing so much? I don't see Wings or Fugitive from a Chain Gang or even Crainquebille on here, yet they have room for a bunch of bullshit horror movies.

First sentence is referring to Government Plates specifically, sorry.

/bel

/cinebel

if you can't complete a 90 minute movie you should stick to cartoons

t. retard

Wings used to be on it.
theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_ex1000.htm

Robert Altman said, in interviews intermittently throughout his tenure, a real movie was never made and that the medium had hardly been explored yet. He held that belief until his grave.

how is that not true. Not everything needs to be game-ified, faggot.

Name 5 kinos that are sub 90 minutes

What does my picture have to do with not finishing a movie?

Hmm, I didn't know. Well that's slightly redeemable.

What about Stage Fright (1950) and Camelot (1967)?

She Done Him Wrong
The Kid
Fantastic Planet
Shoulder Arms
Max Victime du Quinequine

neither of them are essential cinema

A mediocre director who out of jealousy wouldnt acknowledge that other directors were far better than him and that great movies had been made decades before he even started directing. Probably butthurt that he never got a real Oscar.

Pls answer.

strawpoll.me/12500389

Thanks, nice to have some kino for those times when you dont have 2.5 hours to spare

Forest of Bliss
From the Notebook of...
Elective Affinities I
Das Goldene Tor
Carriage Trade

>altman
>a mediocre director
hahahahahaha

>doesn't know about their revolutionary flashback techniques
>doesn't know that Camelot is one of the greatest musicals ever made
You are neither an essential or worthwhile member of society. You know what to do next.

There's nothing revolutionary about using a fucking flashback in 1950, embryo.

>Camelot is one of the greatest musicals ever made
Oh, turns out you're fucking retarded!

>A mediocre director
stopped reading right there

kys

Cant do a top 5 because that would be pretentious. Here are my top 10 though:

Sommaren med Monika (1953, Bergman)
牯嶺街少年殺人事件 (1991, 楊)
চারুলতা (1964, রায়)
Ordet (1955, Dreyer)
Les Moissons du Ciell (1978, Malick)
Oктябpь «Дecять днeй, кoтopыe пoтpяcли миp (1927, Эйзeнштeйн)
红高粱 (1987, 张艺谋)
Fear and Desire (1953, Kubrick)
Зepкaлo (1975, Tapкóвcкий)
浪華悲歌 (1936, 溝口)

this pleb

I got a serious question, /lbg/. Could you wager Robert Altman was perhaps the greatest director that ever lived? Him and D.W. Griffith are the 2 I hold in highest regard above anyone else.

Those are all good but there's no reason to put them in their original language titles. Also the Malick one is American not French.

Oh you

>Synt was 6 when I discovered 4chen

Greatest art films ever made (propoganda disconcerned due to affiliation with state or body of people rather than individual; realism and historical/societal/psychological/documentarian focus; adaptations dismissed for being connected with other medium; emphasized skillful cinematic technique of subtle suggestions; dismissal of "trash" genres): The Life and Passion of JesusChrist, The Red Man's View, A Corner in Wheat, Defence of Sevastopol In the Land of the HeadHunters, The Life of General Villa, After Death, Pool Sharks, Intolerance, The Immigrant, The Little American, The Outlaw and His Wife, Alkohol, The Penalty, Nanook of the North, Manhatta, Rhythmus 21, Shattered, Grandma's Boy, Crainquebille, Our Hospitality, Cops, Cœur fidèle, Le Retour à la Raison, The Street, Ballet Mecanique, Symphony Diagonale,The Epic of Everest, The Great White Silence, Moana, Ménilmontant, Nothing But Time, The Society Documents Itself, Anemic Cinema, Broken Hearts of Hollywood, Berlin Symphony of a Metropolis, Napoleon, King of Kings, The Love of Zero,The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands,

Oktober, Les Mystères du Château de Dé, Theme et varitions (Theme and Variations), Debrug, Nass River Indians, Blue Bottles, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Man With a Movie Camera, Borderline, People on Sunday, A propos de Nice, Under the Roofs of Paris, Tabu, The Blood of a Poet, Kameradschaft, Labor on the Douro River, The Gold Diggers of 1933, L'atalante, An Optical Poem, Pepe le Moko, Redes, Night Mail, Make Way For Tomorrow, The Edge of the World, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Rules of the Game, Moods of the Sea, Citizen Kane, La Terra Trema, Children of Hiroshima, This is Cinerama, Interim, I Vinti, The Earrings of Madame De, Little Fugitive, I Vitelloni, On the Waterfront, Journey to Italy, The Phoenix City Story, 8 x 8 A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements, Moi Un Noir, Le Beau Serge, 400 Blows, A Movie, The Beat Generation, Very Nice, Very Nice, Primary, Chronicles of a Summer, Paris Belongs to Us, Il Sorpasso, Winter light, Le Joli Mai, The Cool World, Contempt, Cleopatra, Flaming Creatures, 21-87, Point of Order, Castro Street, Songs, 60 Cycles, Au Hasard Balthazar, Andrei Rublev, Empire, Imitation of Christ, Wavelength, The Deserters and the Nomads, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, Medium Cool, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, Wanda, Husbands, Out 1, Hollis Frampton's Nostalgia, Inferential Current, The Last Movie, The Slightest Gesture, Badlands, Nashville, Grey Gardens, Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, How Yukong Moved the Mountains, Rome '78, Real Life, Camera Buff, Fitzcarraldo, L'Ange, Sans Soleil, Koyaanisqatsi, Three Colors Trilogy, Close-Up, A Brighter Summer Day, Pulp Fiction, Timecode, Star Spangled to Death, Cinematon, The Clock, Sweet Grass, Norte the End of History, Boyhood.

Feel free to interject and suggest others.

Previous thread:

Americans detected. His films are completely without value outside an insular, US-centered zeitgeist. Maybe his best film, the Player is a 5/5, the others arent close.

Malick is fucking shit

If you like him you are a pleb. He can barely make movies. Days of heaven is the most annoying film ever made

MASH is the greatest war film ever made, embryo.

>I Vitelloni instead of La dolce vita or 8 1/2
> no Antonioni
> no D Lynch
> Badlands for Malick
?

how's camera buff one of the best movies ever made?
I could easily name 100 movies from the same time period that are cinematically superior to it

>Moana
>putting a fucking children's Disney movie on
Lol.

I'm sure you could name 100 flicks, but none of them would be important.

Surrealism is NOT cinema, it is the anti-cinema! Cinema is artistically about the exposition and portrayal of reality, not fantasy!

interesting bait, you don't see this level of reddit tier gabage everyday

>Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son
Don't you think it was a little excessive?
Why was it two hours? Because he ran out of ideas? Why didn't he show the entire source film for each iteration? Because he didn't think the effect he was implementing could sustain the viewers attention?

>Boyhood
b8

realist fucking shit

Perhaps you'd best be suited for more plebeian forms of entertainment such as cartoons and doodles.

>Camera Buff is important
"no"

>b8
b&

@80265277
>implying you're important.

Hi lads. On a Jap yakuza run lately. Going to watch Kamikaze taxi next. Anything I should add to the watchlist?

letterboxd.com/nicht

>QOTD: what does a cinephile's breath smell like?
semen

>fabs new profile picture
>soviet propaganda
fucking christ what an absolute fag
literally could not be trying any harder to please amaranth

still can't tell if this is bait or not

but do you seriously think that good film is confined to realism?!?

realism in art has been out of style for like 50 years man, it got boring and people with big brains, like Fellini, moved on to bigger and more interesting things.

There is a natural evolution away from realism in art BECAUSE IT IS BORING, CLICHE, AND OVERDONE

Antonioni is represented with I Vinti, embryo, the tipping point before he went to shit.

>There is a natural evolution away from realism in art BECAUSE IT IS BORING
REDDIT LEAVE NOW

>having 2 soviet flicks in your favs

then explain how most succesful contemporary arthouse flicks are essentially neorealism with a twist

propaganda can't be art; see here

As I said, American detected. MASH is mediocre.

>muh vietnam

>neorealism
There's that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I see you couldn't provide an explanation. I imagine that's because there is no rhyme or reason to your selections.

>Cinematon
Andy Warhol ripoff.

Fabian here

any bulls in /lbg/ I can prep for amaranth?

>people with big brains like fellini, bunuel, mann, anderson, lynch, cronenberg, noe, carpenter, the list goes on

Warhol is already represented with Empire.

>neorealism
It means exactly what i think it means. If the word tickles your autism, then let's call it social realism. Now, please adress my previous post.

>There is a natural evolution away from realism in art BECAUSE IT IS BORING, CLICHE, AND OVERDONE
Films are actually becoming more realist though.

Why not represent him with his most influential work and exclude the Warhol wannabe?

>Films are actually becoming more realist though.
This.

And films are becoming more boring, cliche, and overdone.

Cameraperson, Billy Lynn, Jackie, Toni Erdmann, Julieta, Certain Women, Manchester by the Sea, Aquarius, 20th Century Women, Paterson

THESE were the films of 2016 pushing cinema forward not your fantasy garbage involving psychedelia and giant man-eating monsters

Because Empire tantamount as opposed to Blue Movie and adaptations are excluded for being involved with separate mediums, so not his Clockwork Orange. And exploration of sexual mores is represented with a superior title, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice.

So, films are becoming more realistic
Thanks for proving their point

your list sucks
leave my general and go play videogames, manchild

currently popular trends in kitsch cinema ≠ good film

when D lynch and Terry Malick stop making movies, film will go through a dark ages of "neorealist with a twist contemporary arthouse garbage"

letterboxd.com/lemonloafer/

hey friends

Follow me javtv

My list follows a strict criteria for what constitutes real cinematic art. Review it if you wish to make suggestions, otherwise leave. You're taking up space.

>everything i dislike is kitsch
lol good one weaboo scum
the most praised filmmakers out there are essentially realists