Does a good horror movie even exist?

Does a good horror movie even exist?

This was fucking trash even though Sup Forums swears by it
it was an alright movie, but it wasn't really scary, comfy atmosphere tbqf

>but it wasn't really scary, comfy atmosphere tbqf
That's your problem.

alien
i mean white crew members being killed off one by one by a skinny black dude in a gimp suit shit is scary desu

Name one thing bad about the execution of this movie.

Get Out

Horror has come to such shit it is considered as a separate thing from film.

Like when you go to see a horror, the majority of the audience (just like OP) judges the movie completely different from an action/thriller/drama. It's like all the movie elements dissapear and the only measurement of quality of the movie is how many times you got "spooked". It's almost like a rollercoaster ride, not a movie for them.
The studio had to market The Witch as a scare horror movie so more people would see it, and when they actually see it they don't care about the family relations and character development and the production design etc, they just want to get some loud noises after a few seconds of silence every now and then and go happily home "wow that was spooky hehe"

Stop watching films with your hard preconcieved expectations of what it should be.

I need 5 spooks for this movie to be a 6/10

The Autopsy of Jane Doe was bretty gud

The VVitch wasnt horror m8. It was a weird mix between historical drama and magic realism. Sadly it just falls flat, if you look past the great setting, the costumes, the dialogue and the characters. If they had added a good plot, it would have been kino. Sadly it wasnt.

Real horror:

>Alien
>The Thing

Thats it m8. There is a reason why horror is mostly garbage.

Came here to post this. Best movie so far this year.

Fucking this. Like all the people who watched It Follows and went "the rules of the monster were too inconsistent."

Plot is the least important part of film. Get some fucking taste kid.

The Witch is about twice as good as Alien or The Thing.

The GOAT horror film is Possession

(you)

Horror is acquired taste genre. You have to study the history of horror to truly appreciate it. Start with Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or if you're more ambitious with The Devil's Castle from 1896.

>even though Sup Forums swears by it
That's a sure sign that the movie's shit

I love John Carpenter movies, he does horror well.

What type of horror do you like OP? There are many classics and some great newer movies also, but they tend to fall into categories like:
>suspense/thriller/psychological
>jump scares and gore
>shock value / twists
>ghosts, supernatural, creepy
>aliens, monsters, survival
>wilderness, remote location
>trapped in a room, trapped on a train
>sci fi themes
>fantasy themes

and it goes on and on.

The Wailing

Fuck the haters

>jump scares and gore

Drag me to Hell
Martyrs
High Tension
The Green Inferno
Inside
Evil Dead (new one)
The Hills Have Eyes
Hostel I and II
The Midnight Meat Train
Sinister
Insidious I and II
The Conjuring I and II
Rec (2007, avoid US remake)

these are all pretty entertaining.

Just give me more like Witch

>he only measurement of quality of the movie is how many times you got "spooked". It's almost like a rollercoaster ride, not a movie for them.
>The studio had to market The Witch as a scare horror movie so more people would see it, and when they actually see it they don't care about the family relations and character development and the production design etc, they just want to get some loud noises after a few seconds of silence every now and then and go happily home "wow that was spooky hehe"

Hit the nail on the head there.

>comedy horror

Instant trash.

The Blair Witch Project.

>tfw akko cant fly her broom yet is because she hasnt kidnapped and murdered an infant

>he doesn't want to live deliciously

horror movies are meant to be horrifying, not scary

All the best horror movies were made in the 80s - Alien, The Shining, The Thing

The only really good horror films that come to mind this century are Jeepers Creepers and Kill List. Everything else is a crappy rehash of rehashes. Some films have a nice aesthetic (e.g. It Follows), but don't let that fool you into thinking it's a good film

don't forget the most important part

>The only really good horror films that come to mind this century
>Jeepers Creepers

It's great. JC2 on the other hand...

This and the original texas chainsaw massacre

Alien is from 1979.

It really is a modern horror classic. Such an iconic character and a great blend of comedy/parody and genuine horror. I'm surprised the franchise hasn't got more sequels given how exploitable it is. Seems like JC3 has been in development hell for a decade now

Fuck you it was a good film too.

A lot of good horror movies exist.

Unless you're expecting movies to be scary. Movies only scare children.

>even though Sup Forums swears by it

At least half of Sup Forums hates it. The Thing might be the only horror where there's a real feeling of consensus among the board. Even The Shining, Halloween, and The Exorcist aren't givens here.

I mostly agree with this. I would also add The Innkeepers as a good recent horror film. I mean half of all horror films these days are pointlessly shitty found footage

>even Halloween

Why are you surprised by this? Go and rewatch it without your nostalgia goggles on. It's garbage. Most horror from the 70s really doesn't hold up.

I've never come across someone who doesn't like The Shining though...

It Follows
Neon Demon
The Shinning
Kwaidan (1964)
House (1977)
Haxan (1922)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Onibaba (1964)
Videodrome
Jacob's Ladder
The Silence of the Lambs
Kill List

>It Follows

Trash

Basically any actual interaction with the monster played out like a comedy sketch. Literally laughable, garish trash.

it's definitely not for everyone. it has an overall mood of foreboding and dread which is similar the Witch.

Horror movies tend to suck anyway, you watch them because it's exciting not because it's high cinema.

> it has an overall mood of foreboding and dread which is similar the Witch.

It doesn't. Not sure why you interpreted that way. I really liked the aestethic though...the fact that there are no adults, the anachronisms (yet 80s small town vibe) and timeless/namelessness. It felt almost dream like

> Not sure why you interpreted that way

maybe because the entire movie is about some weird unstoppable monster slowly and methodically chasing them?

horror moves are not "scary", retard

Saw this movie from the safety of my friend's sofa and she and I both agreed that this film was anything but scary.

>unstoppable

it is stoppable though, and its neutralizable by just making a smart choice with who you sleep with. and not once was the main character in any immediate danger if she wasn't a fucking retard. the only good thing about that film were the close up of maika's soles

hnnng post more?

Lake Mungo

sauce on girl? ohio?

Final Destination is a great horror movie, but it got somewhat forgotten.

Lake Mungo fucking sucked. Spooky ghosts in electronic devices has been overdone since the Ring

You'd like House of The Devil too

Is the Japanese movie Battle Royale considered horror?

>not The Devil's Rejects

honestly such a GOAT film

How's the movie? I've only read the manga

Film is a bad medium for horror.

A poorly written creepypasta thrown together by a teenager that takes you 10 minutes to read will scare you more than horror kino directed by an award-winning auteur.

Horror happens in the brain. Your mind needs room to fill in the blanks with your own deep-seated fears. You won't get scared watching someone else's nightmares.

Stop chasing the idea of a horror film that genuinely frightens you. It's a dragon you'll never catch.

My wife loved that one

Hellraiser

if you think horror is about scaring people you're too ill-informed to talk

it's about HORRORfying people

I bet your wife's son loved it also

>if you think horror is about scaring people you're too ill-informed to talk

Literally a published horror novelist.

Actually, good point.

"Horror" is a trash medium to begin with

But this is a great film regardless, same with Kill List and the original Blair Witch.

It's all about the atmosphere

good soundtrack though

>The Witch is about twice as good as Alien or The Thing
R u srs

>palm trees and tropical ocean water in the background
>ohio

Is the Devil's Castle be George Meleis?

I love it...in subs