Okay so... a few potentially habitable planets are orbiting a black hole. Yet, unlike a sun...

Okay so... a few potentially habitable planets are orbiting a black hole. Yet, unlike a sun, a spaceship + crew can get sucked into it without burning up. So how the fuck are all the planets not a bunch of lifeless ice balls if this black hole doesn't radiate any heat??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-kVsxVBz1Mg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some bullshit about tidal forces putting tension on the crust and heating it up
Kinda similar to how one of Jupiter's moons could theoretically have life underneath the ice because the gravity from Jupiter heats it up

in english, doc

Everyone of you fags that bring hardcore pseudo-science into the discussion for this "Fantasy" cinema need to be hung in your basements upside down and pissed upon. Im 100% certain most of you wank over star wars and that ugly dead whore that played the cinnabon girl in star warts. Kys please

If you squeeze your balls, they heat up.

Gravity between moon and Jupiter heat the planet enough for life underwater.
Idk about the black hole planets OP is talking about

Trips of truth

B T F O
F
O

congratz on the trips mothafucka

True, Nolan is never big on the science stuff. He never explains the science, it's just there. Like the dream machines in Inception, cloning in Prestige, etc.

I heated your mom's black hole last night m8

The plasma accretion disc is in orbit around Gargantua (any that wasn't would be sucked in), he stayed in the lander until after he passed the event horizon which was inside the construct created by the 4D humans, their plan wouldn't have worked if he wasn't safe by that point.

I suspect they also hijacked his computer to make it tell him to eject at the correct moment.

from where did the light on the planets come?

You see the light that is wrapped around the black hole. That's the same as a sun in a way. Remember that water planet. It was very close to the black hole, but still the water was not vaporized. So that means the "sun" around the black hole is very weak. But as said before, Nolan's movies dont go into much depth with the science, although that black hole is supposed to look like the real thing

shouldn't the light from the sun get sucked into the black hole? shouldn't it be pitch black? why was there light.

the plasma which emits the light is not yet inside the event horizon of the black hole. event horizon is the point where gravity is so strong that light can get out.

xD

Was the black hole visible in the sky in the water planet? That would've been a cool fucking sight, better than the giant wave, NOLAN YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB

No because they made a point to approach the planet from the opposite side where the black hole was

Kek 10/10

tidal forces alone couldn't sustain a breathable atmosphere.

It's a legit thing. Io is basically a molten ball precisely because Jupiter pulls and stretches it so much

That planet also had 100% cloud cover which is why they didn't know it was all-water. There's clearly enough heat to vaporise some of it but by the time it gets high enough above the atmosphere it cools due to less heat convection from nearby denser molecules which can't rise up as high.

IIRC some of the light gets caught in a loop, just beyond the point of no return. Some photos escape which produces those visible rings and lights up the planet
But don't quote me on that

Doesn't a black hole emit light and energy as a sort of exhaust (maybe not exhaust more like the energy given off by the atoms being ripped apart by tidal forces of the black hole)? Like a quasar has a black hole at its center theoretically and a quasar emits a shit ton of light and energy

I always recommend this vid on black holes, it's spoopy as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=-kVsxVBz1Mg

It has one single ring, like Jupiter, but made of superheated plasma, it just appears to be a complete circle around the black hole too because the gravity is so high that light gets bent around, the light at the top and bottom is just bent around from the ring that's on the other side of the black hole from the observer.

Makes me wonder. If the water on that planet was instantly frozen, what would happen? Those tidal forces were massive. You would think the ice would crack into million pieces and melt by that force alone?

>like Jupiter
Saturn* duh

>how the fuck are all the planets not a bunch of lifeless ice balls if this black hole doesn't radiate any heat??
love

I want Jupiter to stretch me.

Jupiter has rings too

Kip thorne did great work u fucking virgins

Nolan was right

Ok so Io is heated by the fact that it's orbit is close to the other moons, so it gets squeezed at the centre (all the moons orbit on the same plane) heating up the core
This means that there should have only been one habitable planet in this system as it would only be the inner planet that gets pulled in opposite directions
Also the planets would have been pitch black anyway since the majority of hawking radiation is in gamma rays
something that would also probably kill Wooderson & chums

t. I have a degree in astrophysics
(calm down lads its a film)

This is lame and stupid. Black holes aren't lovecraftian chaos or 5th dimensional love bookcases. It's just a really fucking heavy and dense rock that bends light into it with gravity.

>t. I have a degree in astrophysics
Man I hope you didn't pay too much for it

>Doesn't a black hole emit light and energy
No. That's literally the opposite of what a black hole does.
What you're thinking of is the accretion disk, which is only present in active black holes. As matter falls into the gravity well it gets compressed more and more, and spins faster and faster as it falls into the gravity well, usually barfing out large amounts of radiation. But this is well away from the event horizon.
As matter gets closer to the event horizon its stretched and torn apart, even at the atomic level, achieving fission. At this point you're so deep in the gravity well the only thing that can possibly escape are gamma rays, which are redshifted into x-rays.
But gargantua wasn't an active black hole. If it was the entire system would be uninhabitable because it would be constantly bathed in x-rays.

Wut. That video doesn't describe them as either

I love this meme where we all pretend to be fast rotational supermassive black hole experts, so funny hehe

TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN fuck star wars

>I've never seen science fiction fans talking online before
Nice new meme lad

The biggest problem imo is this
>There is this planet that looks cool but around a black hole that will totally shit time and probably be swallowed.
>Wow it looks ideal to let humanity survive let's visit it.

Saturn has many clearly defined rings though.

>This means that there should have only been one habitable planet in this system
Don't be dense. The same tidal flexing is responsible for the liquid oceans of Europa, and have a geological impact on Ganymede.

kys stupid frog poster, so funny hehe

user was asking about a quasar, which spins really fast and emits a "jet" of EM radiation from opposite sides. Basically, when the "jets" are pointed at us, it's crazy bright, but when they're not, it's invisible to us.

Thorne is the only reason the science was not utter shit.
But you have to go for the middle ground between science and fiction. heh
Otherwise your movie would be boring as duck.

>duck
Fuck me

but is LOVE science or fiction?

Just google Kip Thorne's book "The Science of Interstellar" to find out the answers to most of your questions, you can rip the PDF for free

Honestly the movie fails as establishing the geography of the system, and that just causes all kinds of problems inside the logic of the movie itself.
There's clearly a G-type main sequence star in the system because there's normal earth levels of light literally everywhere they go.
And there's also a supermassive black hole in the system.
And a worm hole
And 12 planets.
One of these planets is close enough to the black hole that its traveling at relativistic speeds.
After having an argument about fuel consumption, they then decide to travel to the planet closest to the black hole FIRST instead of going to the farthest planet of the three, and then your entire trip is "downhill."
They were also aware of the time dilation on the water planet. They KNOW Miller only landed an hour ago (from Miller's frame of reference), so even if they go and spend a year on each of the other two planets, that's literally minutes to Miller.
So why the fuck do they complain about time and fuel, and then create a mission plan designed to waste the most of both?

Because
Drama

That's a neutron star or pulsar.
A quasar is what happens when the supermassive black holes at the center of a proto-galaxy are actively feeding. They produce enough radiation that they'd sterilize their local galactic cluster.
The Milky way is just far enough away that the energy has redshifted into harmless radio waves.

unga

There are obviously several stars orbiting relatively closely about Gargantua. They used hibernation pods off camera when travelling between planets

>They KNOW Miller only landed an hour ago (from Miller's frame of reference), so even if they go and spend a year on each of the other two planets, that's literally minutes to Miller.

Shit, this isnt actually a shitpost. It makes sense, really. I never realized that for the pleb I am. Mann was right.

Science: chemistry in you brain that create the feelings called love
Fiction: "there is only one i can possibly love", "love is fate" etc. bullshit.
Pick your definition.

Nope. This is a pulsar.

and this is a quasar.

>tfw stars and shit make you feel insignificant and a fucking retard at the same time

Exactly

Complaining about scientific accuracy in an adventure flick, or come to to think of it any work of cinema at all, is basement dwelling autistic youtube tier '''criticism'''

I somehow know that feel.
black holes are fucking creepy.

There's one ring with differing compositions due to weight and density, humans love organising stuff like that but there's matter in between them that hasn't shown up on the cameras

Similarly, gargantua will have one ring of differing material organised by its ability to absorb heat

I think Miller's planet was orbiting a neutron star orbiting gargantua, Coop mentioned doing a slingshot around it near the start

sirxemic.github.io/Interstellar/

Its my biggest problem I had with the movie though. It squanders all of its potential for DUDE COOL SHIT LMAO.
The entire segment of Millers planet is just padding to fill out the runtime. It's meaningless to the plot, doesn't move the story forward any, and just introduces more confusing bullshit into a movie that's already treading on thin ice in the suspension of disbelief area.
The only thing it does in the movie is get rid of the memorable memorable character of Guy with the beard from Hunger games, and to create the time jump for B story on earth.
But the thing is, if they're spending years traveling to saturn, then jumping through a worm hole to a distant galaxy, and then spending years traveling between stars... why do you need to introduce another goofy plot device to explain the time jump?
For a movie about the vastness of "Time and Space" the movie is constantly tripping over itself in a race to get to the next action packed set piece. Nolan never gives the story a chance to breathe. Despite the movie objectively taking place over decades and light years, the movie doesn't take the time to decompress at all. It just feels like its a long weekend for Coop. The grey streaks in deathgripsman's hair just don't do it.
Nolan is in desperate need of a really strong script, a much better editor, and to pull his head out of his ass and get a couple of extra takes.

The same style of writing continues in Westworld -_- Same writer same bullshit...

this is a cool browser game where you can fly through the wormhole and into Gargantua

>There's one ring with differing compositions due to weight and density
You're objectively a stupid asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about. There are moons that orbit inside the rings that create clearly defined boundaries.

>The entire segment of Millers planet is just padding to fill out the runtime. It's meaningless to the plot, doesn't move the story forward any
Are you crazy? For a start, the whole point of the mission was to go to all 3 planets and pick up the team, but instead:

>1 dead
>Rest demoralised
>Moves the story to a point where his kids are capable of being interesting characters
>Forces them to chose only one planet to visit next

>why do you need to introduce another goofy plot device to explain the time jump?
Because there was no trip they could have taken within the mission that would take 20+ years

>Because there was no trip they could have taken within the mission that would take 20+ years
You're right. It's not like they traveled through some kind of hole in time and space to arrive in another galaxy or anything.

>Implying that isn't part of the ring
It's just a big rock

>hole in time
Nope

for you

>tfw too intelligent for the space-time continuum

holy shit btfo
how will the 16 year olds on Sup Forums ever recover?

why is his brain an hypercube and not an hypersphere

I dunno, why did you have to be a fuck up, and not more like your brother?

What do you mean by this? The sun doesn't sustain our atmosphere.

>Nolan's movies dont go into much depth with the science

This movie was marketed by how scientifically accurate it is. All the science dedicated sites posted how the program used to create the black hole and how it would look is actually a more accurate model than what has been typically shown, how there's a lack of sound and how the camera angles looked.

>photosynthesis, how does it work

What was Michael Mann right about?

So what happens after you cross the event horizon? What is there?

That we are only able to become truly free by abandoning all material attachments.

Good argument if any of the Interstellar planets had a single fucking plant on them. However their atmospheres are breathable it's got nothing to do with photosynthesis. I don't know if volcanoes can emit enough oxygen or bacteria can do it all.

>So how the fuck are all the planets not a bunch of lifeless ice balls if this black hole doesn't radiate any heat??
it does though, the glowing disc around the black hole emits heat

user the thing about this question is that there's no comprehensible answer. It's like asking what the square root of catsup is. It represents the boundary where our universe stops, we don't know what's behind it because we can't. There be dragons and shit.
Anything someone says about it would be absolute conjecture because by definition it is the boundary of the definable.

>There be dragons and shit.
Come on now, all you'd see is all matter being compressed together and that's it. There's no mystery

dub trips, very nice. I don't think I have to keep scrolling down, point made.

Not even the most acclaimed scientist can agree on this.
Our rules and knowledge of physics simply stop working there.

And that area of not knowing allows for artistic interpretations, which can end up quite silly ofcourse.

>matter being compressed together and that's it.
user you cant compress infinite mass into a geometric point. It breaks math. It violates the conservation of matter and energy, you know, that pesky underpinning of science.
There is only so far you can compress something before it breaks.
There's only so dense something can get before there's not enough space for entire atoms to exist. If you increase density beyond the electron rebound limit you shatter the atom, and a lot of energy is released and a new state of matter is achieved (plasma), after that you can increase the density until the protons are crushing against eachother, when this breaks a new state is formed at the neutron rebound limit. This is a weird state of matter only found in neutron stars. If you continue to increase the density things start to break down. There's a theoretical quark rebound limit, which would mean there could be quark-stars out there, but it would be a precarious point between that and a true singularity.
The point is there is a limit to how much you can increase density before you're literally dividing by zero. You can't fit "something" into "nothing" which is precisely what you're dealing with when you're talking about a singularity.
You need an entirely new kind of math to describe it, and since we have no observable evidence to base anything on, its grasping in the dark for something that might not be there.

So when will we know?

You can't really put a timeline on something like that user.
You can't even say it requires a fundamental shift in how we understand the universe, because you're talking about something that's OUTSIDE of the universe by definition.
All language, math, science, etc is just ways of describing out universe, based on a set of ground rules. When you're dealing with another universe those ground rules no longer apply.
We quite simply have no vocabulary in which to form questions to ask about what happens inside a singularity. Beyond that we lack the basic ability to even comprehend what that other universe would be like.

>you cant compress infinite mass into a geometric point
I don't think anyone is making that claim. We have models for black holes' sizes and masses, don't we? So we know they are not mass compressed to a geometric point. And the singularity is not at the surface of a black hole, it's somewhere above in the "gravity well" and just defined as the point where the curvature of space time so great that not even light can escape

There are other processes which produce oxygen, not just plants. It's completely feasible that the water just has a high oxygen content that cycles into the air during evaporation, whether that be from bacteria or volcanic release.

All you need is heat for the process.

take a paperclip and bend it a bunch. It gets hot.

>user you cant compress infinite mass into a geometric point. It breaks math. It violates the conservation of matter and energy, you know, that pesky underpinning of science.
But isn't that just what we think? Wasn't the whole universe compressed into geometric point?

Then how do they have light on the planets?

>I don't think anyone is making that claim.
That's literally the definition of a singularity. And we have ideas at size and mass for the event horizon, which is a very different thing.
While we're on the subject's black holes don't increase in mass like they're supposed to. The more massive they become the less dense they are.
While volume increases cubicaly like it should, the mass of it does not.
Black holes are fucking weird and they were originally seen as flaws in the math, until they were indirectly observed.

>But isn't that just what we think?
No we can prove that you can not fit infinite mass into a geometric point mathematically. It's what happens when you divide by zero. You're putting something with positive dimensions into something with no dimensions.

>can't refute those trips

>geography of the system

stopped reading there

It's a screenwriting term you simpering gimboid.