King Kong Skull Island - POSTMODERN KINO

Post modern monster film kino. Twist on genre expectations and self reflective.

>the opening fight between the Japanese and American pilot was a foreshadowing of Godzilla vs Kong.
>Samuel L. Jackson saying "Hold on to your butts" from Jurassic Park
>Sun silhouette shots and Music on helicopter speakers from Apocalypse Now (timecode is 3m21s, sorry I couldn't get it to work on mobile)
>"We'll Meet Again" song could be referencing Dr. Strangelove (or it could just be a song in the movie)
>Kong holding Brie Larson/Kong in chains referencing the 1933 King Kong
>Maybe it was just me but the first thing I thought of when the Japanese pilot survived the shots from young John C. Reilly was the "divine intervention" in the beginning of Pulp Fiction (with Jules aka Sam Jackson) (again, timecode issues, it is at 1m27s)
>John C. Reilly's jacket was supposed to reference the jackets worn in Akira and the insignia on it was in reference to Travis Bickle's King Kong Company patch in Taxi Driver
>"Born to breed" written on the soldier's helmet referred to "Born to kill" in Full Metal Jacket.
>Tom Hiddleston's character was named Conrad, referring to Joseph Conrad, the author of Heart of Darkness which was more or less adapted into Apocalypse Now. John C. Reilly's character was named Maslow, who is a character in Heart of Darkness.
>Definitely not an homage but all I could think of during the flashbulb-in-the-monster scene was the cellphone-in-dino-poop part of Jurassic Park 3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eflX1B6MRfw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Contemporary Color is a better movie

viet cong = king kong in the eyes of samauel l jackson.

Felt like some purgatory hell where soldiers were trapped

"We'll Meet Again" was definitely a Dr. Strangelove reference, not only is that the most likely place that most young people have heard it, but it brings up the idea of nuclear weapons that is apparently central to this franchise

Is this a joke thread? Are you claiming the movie is good because it makes subtle yet obvious references to other movies?

The opening line of this movie was like "there will not be a crazier time in Washington" and everyone in the theater laughed
If that's not kino I don't know what is

>the opening fight between the Japanese and American pilot was a foreshadowing of Godzilla vs Kong

But Kong is not a American citizen

Godzilla is not a japanese citizen.

I think OP is making a statement that the movie is good despite the hamfisted references. I like how they gave Kong actual development. The motion capture actor is probably the best actor in the entire movie.

CGI was too obvious. I liked how they kept the giant rubber hand at least as Kong set down the girl after her drowning and almost becoming a skully snack

He is black.
Americans are black.
Like their ex-president

Godzilla is a cancer ridden millenia old guy.
Like japanese people.

Godzilla just appears in Japan
Kong is forced to emigrate to the USA

>I like how they gave Kong actual development.
Kong always had a fucking character arc, that's nothing new

This movie was great though, the visuals are fucking amazing

>Americans are black
lol no they aren't. Americans are people.

If Americans are people, how can they not maintain their cities?

That after credit scene was the best part though, lets be real.

ADVANCED SHITPOSTING

>movie focused on nothing but mass appeal with low end humor and big budget CGI comprising 100% of the films marketing
>cast lead who is a favorite of women
>post modern
>masterpiece

>Detroit
>Full of pavement apes
>He thinks they are people
You didn't get the joke, did you?

SOME FOLKS WERE BORN

youtube.com/watch?v=eflX1B6MRfw

I don't get people who hate this movie. It does exactly as it said. Kong: Skull Island is about a creature named Kong on the Skull Island. What more do you expect from this, some deep symbolysm or teaching message to the people? No dammit when I saw a movie poster with big giant ape I want to watch it for the giant fucking ape. Definitely would recommend for a weekend getaway.

>Kong gets absolutely wrecked by Sam L. Jackson and a few drums of gasoline

How is this fucker supposed to step up to fucking Godzilla in 2020?

Mutating and growing up in size

Godzilla was made by something Americans dropped on Japan.

Do you know what post-modernism is?

this is obviously not detroit
fun fact its actually the ancient ruins of Asus

John C Reilly is a massive faggot.

How is Kong fighting Godzilla if he's only like half his size?

Also Godzilla wasn't even a bad guy in Godzilla 2014. I don't think there will be much of a sparkle between them unless it's a different Godzilla.

Would you fight an ape half your size? It would fucking destroy you.

>It's 'kino' because it references a bunch of better movies made before it

Godzilla is gonna end up somewhere important, and won't leave, so the Chinese girl and the Black guy scientists (who are now much older and played by new actors) are going to suggest bringing Kong to chase him off because he would possibly think Godzilla is a Crawler. Calling it now.

uh, bro. Not only Zilla is twice it's size but I bet it's about 40x if not more heavier.

unless Kong brings a giant machine gun I'm not seeing how will this be a good match

fire bombs?

Kong can use tools, maybe he's going to bring a giant dildo and fuck godzilla to death

oh. So this explains all the nukes NK is throwing at the Japanese see lately.

Becauser every black man owns a machine gun, you racist

yfw they bring back 98 GINO to fight Kong and troll all of us. Then Zilla 14 shows up and the two work together to fight Ghidorah.

Kong seems more Agile to me.

Godzilla is like a giant Gator, and yeah those guys can move but not like a Monkey can.

If I have to choose to be around a pissed off Gorilla or a Pissed off Gator I'll pick the Gator, you might have a shot out at outrunning the gator.

he better bring one for himself too because he ain't using his own kong

Americans planned to drop exploding bats, you can drop more than one thing.

Monarch probably comes up with a way to make Kong bigger. Or maybe lol electricity.

The Prometheus-joke was pretty good I thought.

Nah the crazy guy says Kong is still growing. That's all they need to say about it.

>GINO and Kang Kong fight in the 90s before Zilla 14
>in the present GINO and Kong wake up again thanks to the '14 MUTO battles
>starts out as a 1v1v1
>Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra show up
>the 3 of them team up and work together to defeat the new arrivals
>more MUTOs for canon fodder
>mfw

>the opening fight between the Japanese and American pilot was a foreshadowing of Godzilla vs Kong.
is kong american?

American franchise vs. Japanese franchise

Holy shit, are you reatrded?

>Godzilla vs Kong.
>Kong is fast, strong, intelligent, agile, and is capable of using weapons and his environment to his advantage

Legendary Godzilla is proper fucked unless he can somehow trick Kong into coming near deeper water.

Shin would make for a cooler opponent.

they still make laptops

is godzilla japanese? its not a straight up literal analogy its a bit of foreshadowing, dipstick

The rape scene was a little over the top. A few people walked out of the theater at that point. Overall it's not worth the time.

you friccin moron, you missed literally the best, most subtle reference.

Toby Kebbel is Kong's Motion Capture Actor. He also plays Chapman, the guy who's brutally eaten by the Skully and has a kid. This mirrors Andy Serkis in Peter Jackson's King Kong, who is the motion capture for Kong and also plays a military dude that gets eaten by those leech things in the bug scene.

(Sidenote: Toby Kebbel also played the villaing in the most recent Apes movie, opposite Andy Serkis as Caesar)

I really liked the FPS videogame shots

> gasoline
Dude it was napalm. Sam Jackson even said so. Napalm is no joke man

Shin godzilla overheats too much.

Toby Kebbell is not the motion capture actor for Kong, he just did some facial expressions and that's it

>that crazy ass brutal japanese pilot with katana
>is actually played by... this...dude?

I wonder how they'll make mothra not look ridiculous

This movie was legit awesome. I liked Godzilla 2014 but this beats it in most ways.

Would put dick in it

VIETNAM FUCKING SHITS

Just make her really cute.

top kek

VietCONG: SKULL PENINSULA.

>King Kong Skull Island
How was Brie Larson? was she I-am-womyn- hear-me-roar?

Kong didn't have a character arc tho...

Die you mother fu

Nah, she was pretty good, if a little underutilized. The characters is for me the weakest part of the movie, after editing..

they mentioned that Kong is still growing. He's only a teenager.

They mention that Kong is still growing

she was fucking boring.

>tfw John Reilly's character actually had a happy ending
I was so expecting him to die too

>strong, agile

Desu, Burgerzilla is twice his height and can spew fire. Wtf can a monkey do against that

Samuel L jackson interupts her speech with

"Bitch pleaaaaseee!"

everyone laughed

Godzilla weight is 90000 tons. King Kong weight is a few hundred tons.

>King Kong needs to grow 200ft just to be anywhere near Godzilla height
Interested in seeing how that plays out

Godzilla vs King Kong movie will have Kong suddenly be the same size as Godzilla and the only explanation will be

>WE
>WUZ
>KANGZ
>N
>KONGZ

>>Tom Hiddleston's character was named Conrad, referring to Joseph Conrad, the author of Heart of Darkness which was more or less adapted into Apocalypse Now. John C. Reilly's character was named Maslow, who is a character in Heart of Darkness.

>John C. Reilly's character was named Maslow, who is a character in Heart of Darkness.

>named Maslow

>Maslow

It's Marlowe you idiot

That's insane, Godzilla is seriously THAT big?

I think John C Reilly's character said that Kong will grow bigger, so it kinda makes sense but a Kong bigger than what we got will seriously be insane

>apache

Monsterverse Godzilla is hugeassbig, the size of a nuclear supercarrier

*hits blunt*

so this movie just a bunch of quirky """"omages"""""

>apache

godzilla was not that big, thats such an over exageration

How big is Kong now? They said in the movie that he is still growing.

He was that big. Then Toho decided they couldn't be one upped so made their Godzilla even bigger.

Godzilla was HUGE - the size of skyscrapers, much bigger than Arleigh Burke class destroyers.

>Missed the Metal Gear Solid references

Where?

a visual representation of Legendary picture's King Kong vs Godzilla

Legendary Godzilla is one of if not the biggest Godzillas and is brolic is fuck. Atomic breathe is OP

I liked this movie. It is a competent stupid monster movie. Just what I wanted desu.

and thats not even really an accurate representation there because most of him is underwater there, he fucking dwarfs that supercarrier

Oh boy how I loved those kings and kongs

Name of the ship, mainly.

Athena? Or Wanderer? Coz Wanderer was the ship name in the King Kong novellization,

You forgot:
>The boat is called Gray Fox in reference to Vogt-Roberts' next project, a Metal Gear Solid movie.

>story of Icaria

Opening shot before jap and murkan is someone free falling from the sun.

Did no one else notice this?

Icarus*

CAM RIP WHERE?