What is your favorite movie from Classical Hollywood cinema (1917-1960s)

What is your favorite movie from Classical Hollywood cinema (1917-1960s)

Night of the Hunter

You already posted a really good one.

Other early favorites: The General, It Happened One Night, Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard.

I haven't seen that many but Cleopatra and Rear Window are two of my favorites

It Happened One Night.

All great films. I'll throw in The Searchers and The Thing From Another World.

Double Indemnity
Casablanca
The Grapes of Wrath

The Thin Man is cozy as fuck.

Birth of A Nation

Sup Forums meme movie. Literally one good scene (KKK riding to save the whites from the blacks breaking into the house).

not to mention it's from 1915 and OP said 1917-1960s

After watching The General, I wanted more silent comedy, so I watched Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin), and although he's a great performer I didn't like the movie as much because it's just a bunch of scenes strung together. There's no strong plot like The General. Any other recommendations for silent comedy?

Love Me Tonight and the Merry Widow are pretty good. I also like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Road to Morocco.

City Lights, Seven Year's Bad Luck and Speedy

>Modern Times is just a bunch of scenes thrown together

Pick almost anything from the filmography of John Ford, John Huston, or Billy Wilder.

The mark of zorro

Any Buster Keaton movie

meant for

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Hopefully the rest are as good as The General.

Stagecoach

>The Grapes of Wrath
I love Ford despite his worst tendencies (hokey comedy, broad stereotypes, balancing the plot with the laid back hangout elements) but I hated this. It's so serious while being so corny, and the longer it goes on the more it becomes a New Deal propaganda film. The fucking free housing administrator even looks just like FDR

>It Happened One Night
I watched it on a DVD bought from supermarket with my demented grandma.
Good movie

It honestly reminded me of anime, because that's the only place you can find red-pilled romantic comedy nowadays.

Its probably the first really good book adaptation to film. Didnt really get a corny vibe from it at all.

I didnt like Stagecoach, all the characters are just too "charactery" if that makes sense. None of them seem real. The stuntwork is unreal though, especially that by the native who fall down between the horses and gets run over by the coach.

>this is the kind of person I discuss film with

Stagecoach is pretty shit tbqfh. Film classes need to stop shitting this down people's throat that it's the quintessential Western.

Watch My Darling Clementine instead.

>there are people out there who learn Jericho's wall from anime

Rear Window. Excellent film

I think I'm gonna vomit.

It sucks. I spent the whole movie watching for the twist that never came. Especially disappointing after Vertigo which had a clever twist.

I think it far from sucks, but it has aged pretty poorly like that. They think the guy across the street is a murderer based on hypotheticals, and then it turns out he is a murderer. That's it. Even considering the times that's straightforward to a flaw

Still lots of great stuff in it but it's a frustrating first watch