Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1913

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hinative.com/en-US/questions/340511
hinative.com/en-US/questions/1647713
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1395/what-is-the-difference-between-the-nominalizers-こと-and-の
meadowlake001.blogspot.com/2015/02/another-difference-between-and.html
djtarchive.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#さ
forum.koohii.com/thread-11121.html
convertio.co/ocr/
furigana.info/w/夕暉
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

After 8 years I can finally read the japanese about page on Sup Forums.

黒人は大嫌い

人種差別をしないでください

>業
>work, performance, act, deed, karma
>Ideogrammic compound (會意): 丵 + 巾.

>丵
>grass that grow in clusters; thickly growing grass

>巾
>a square item of cloth

What exactly *is* the idea behind the ideogram?

黒人は人間じゃない

>implying there is one

The only thing that comes to mind (to make a mnemonic with) is sitting on a (picnic) cloth during a heavy working day harvesting grain (grass). But I doubt that was a Sino-Japanese custom as well.

Yeah, there's a difference between a mnemonic and an etymology.

Around 85% of kanji are said to be 形声文字, meaning that it has both an ideographic and phonetic component. The "meaning" element behind the kanji is not always going to be clear because you are looking at characters which evolved in an earlier and different cultural context; to which the extent of practically "meaning" is often similar to vague Latin roots found in words within the English language.

Honestly don't bother trying to relate a mnenomic to an etymological foundation if it is more time consuming and harder to remember. The purpose of those neat memory tricks doesn't have to be a logical sequence from some objective meaning to encoded sentence or keywords.
Take advantage of your lateral thinking with mnemonics and let the source material knowledge be backed up by it's separate comprehensive exposure.
By that, think of those various maths, physics, chemistry, etc. mnemonics people have to recall the periodic table or forumla, etc. It works best as a memory trigger and not a teaching tool.

Black is cool

I know, but ideograms are mnemonics in themselves, which is why I asked whether anyone knew the idea behind it.

I didn't mean the etymology of the word, but of the character. In this case, it's supposed to be a pure ideogram.

Where do In get real life practice with real asians? I was going to meet up with this 40 year old gay guy and was willing to give up my boypussy in order to get help studying but i decoded against it..

I was talking about the character. You're really thinking about kanji in a backarsewards manner, to be honest.

どうして?

I'm kind of confused on what 当然っていったら当然だけど means here. I'm understanding the previous sentences as "If I selfishly took you away from Yuki, she'd seriously cry", "Cry? I'd prefer if she got mad at you." But I don't really get the last line, besides maybe "Of course, something like that to happen would certainly be bad"? Am I off the mark?

しまった。
Forgot the picture.

Anyone have epubs of Eromanga sensei? Heard it's a good beginner LN but can't find it anywhere

Ok for your comprehension.
That phrase would be translated
“If you would call it’s rightly supposed to be, surely it is, “
当然っていったら当然だけど、I was quite impressed with your translating it into English such properly.

>learning a language you will never speak irl
Try to speak Japanese in Japan. They will stop you and speak engrish to you to save time.

Thank you. To clarify, ほんとにあっちゃだめだ is talking about 「冬弥君を取っちゃったら」 right?

I'm not interested in speaking it. At least not for now. I'm only interested in untranslated media.

the average japanese doesn't know enough english anyway

First, the phrase previously mentioned should rather be translated
“If you would call it’s rightly supposed to be, surely it is, BUT”
I presume.
Then for the one you’re talking about, I have to say it’s still vague. Because if it is meanig like certainly what you said, the sentence shall be
“そんなこと、ほんとにあっちゃだめだよな”
“こんなこと” implies the action which is going on peresently, but taking Toya kun off from Yuki chan seems still assumption at the moment in the context. So I don’t get what Toya mentions correctly.
Or I presume Toya is mentioning his secretly dating with Rina without knowledge of Yuki, not betraying her seriously but for some inevitable reason.

How is mine?

Yeah it's hard to understand if you don't have all the context (Japanese is heavily reliant on context wouldn't you agree?). I think re-reading 当然っていったら当然だけど with your interpretation, it's probably something like "When you say it's obvious, of course it is, but for something like that to actually happen would be bad." I could still be wrong anyways, but it makes the most sense to me.
Your English is fine by the way.

>Japanese is heavily reliant on context wouldn't you agree?
I would. Its sentences tend to be fragments reliant on each other.

>"When you say it's obvious, of course it is, but for something like that to actually happen would be bad."
Seems perfect.

How much do dialects (aside from okinawan) in Japan differ? Is there any point studying them, or should I just learn by hearing or reading them passively?

you are assuming a lot of things there.

Learn them as they come up. Even natives have problems understanding some of the more fucked up dialects

Learn the five most common quirks of western Japanese and you're good to go.

lang8 registration won't come back until at least March 2018 and I don't want to use mobile. Are there any non-mobile alternatives that are as good as lang8 was for producing multiple sentences and getting corrections/help? I want to get into production a little bit on the side but don't really want to jump straight into having a language partner/speaking practice.

Any recommendation of easy VN for beginners?

You're posting in it. Or use the discord. And I didn't know they closed off registration why is that?

thanks Separatist bro

What sounds better if I wanted to say "school stuff":
>学校のもの
>学校のこと
Or something else entirely different? School stuff in the context of things that comprise studying, classwork, homework, classes, etc etc.

Where can I pirate: 80/20 Japanese?

As those are intangible things, I'd go with こと

This is what confuses me - doesn't もの also deal with intangibles?

hinative.com/en-US/questions/340511
hinative.com/en-US/questions/1647713
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1395/what-is-the-difference-between-the-nominalizers-こと-and-の
meadowlake001.blogspot.com/2015/02/another-difference-between-and.html

What does the -sa mean in stuff like this?
『その熱さ、それがお前の限界だ』
("But the heat is your limit" unless I mistranslated)

もの is for things that exist as entities or identities, and こと is for abstract objects, "about"ness, and phenomenons (actions or events). Classwork in the general sense is an abstract object, unless you're referring to the particular work done in a particular class.

Thank you.

You pretty much know it already from instinct based on your translation of it, but to properly explain it nominalizes the noun. So for instance you got 熱い which is an adjective, so hot. If you apply さ to it you get what would be a noun form of it, so in this case heat like you said.

>djtarchive.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#さ
Well this link didn't work as I thought it would. Just search for the さ entry under basic if you want to read more.

You have to put a space after the end for it to work for some reason

Never mind, it works when I paste it to the search bar but not when I click it. Weird

>Dragonball Super fag detected

>They will stop you and speak engrish to you to save time.
They definitely don't.

>unless I mistranslated
You did

>彼女を武僧やもと警戒したか、まぐれにでも当たる事を厭うたのかもしれない。
Things were going so well and then suddenly I hit this sentence where nothing makes sense.

I don't get the 武僧やもと part at all. If you take that out you got "彼女を警戒したか" which is fine but 武僧やもと is confusing. I thought や was supposed to connect things in some sort of list or something but it doesn't seem to fit here at all. Plus, I can't figure out what sort of もと is this one supposed to be since もと can mean like 50 different things and I can't understand the sentence well enough to be able to tell which one fits the most.

Also, at the end what is 厭うた supposed to be? I keep wanting to see this as past tense but I know that would be 厭った. I even went as far as looking if maybe たのかもしれない was construction that maybe built on top of the regular かもしれない but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did everyone switch to Yomichan?
Is there any reason NOT to use it?
Confused beginner here.

I don't know what that is, tomod8.

>About this Add-on
>Yomichan turns your browser into a tool for building Japanese language literacy by helping you to decipher texts which would be otherwise too difficult tackle. This extension was inspired in part by Rikaichan and Rikaikun, but it stands apart in its goal of being a all-encompassing learning tool as opposed to a mere browser-based dictionary, while adding advanced features such as EPWING support.

Rikaisama has epwing support, so I wonder what sets Yomichan apart.

I did
It's much better for analyzing kanji individually compared to rikai desu
and i like how you can choose when it pops up instead of it going everywhere with your mouse

Anyone have any advice for reading scans of novels? Sadly there aren't epubs for everything

If you have a tablet, they are much easier to read using OCR Manga Reader.
forum.koohii.com/thread-11121.html
Most scans have clearer text than in your average manga scan, so it is easy to look up unknown words.

dumb person here

if you wanna say you are grateful to someone do you use ありがたい? a

and also if you wanted to mark that person would it be like this:
>私は父にありがたい
thank you!

>私は父に...
...感謝しています

What does 「健気かよ!」 mean?

genki ka yo

I do not think it means "Are you okay"

I've been posting in /djt/ since it was on Sup Forums and have failed to even achieve an N5 level of proficiency. These threads are worthless, all of the advice is just meme shit, and I really don't think anyone here actually knows Japanese. I'm just going to go take a class.

>he didn't read

lol

Make sure you don't come back

btw, bud, /djt/ isn't a thread to learn japanese, it's a thread to shitpost in AFTER you have done your studying for the day.

Japanese is the gateway language to mandarin and korean. Stfu.

*not korean.

Fucked up there.

The grammar is kind rather similar to Korean (moreso than any other language you probably would ever even consider). If there was any language I would learn to prep for Korean, it would be Japanese.

Any other ideas for this?

I know guys who have been "working out" for a couple years but you'd never guess it since they're pudgy and look out of shape. Because they are.

There's a world of difference between curling and benching 2 times a week with shitty form while never caring about your diet, and lifting 6 days a week 2 hours a day while eating the right macros/calories.

You might have been "studying" Japanese over the past few years but if your study habits are shit, you won't make it.

Anyone interested in helping OCR books that only have scans?

What does the process entail?

>彼女を武僧やもと警戒したか、まぐれにでも当たる事を厭うたのかもしれない。

First, those sentences consist of old style Japanese which is used in order to add samurai like taste to the literature.
So then, “武僧やも” is to be translated into “武僧かも” as current style Japanese for this part.
And it’s just the same for “厭うた”. It means “厭った” as you presumed.

Grammatical functions for “や” and “う” here are not the things I could lecture on here, as I was negligent in old literature class( “古文”, it’s compulsory...!) in high school. Nobody today speaks in such a style outside samurai style doramas (”時代劇”).
I expect it would be helpful to you.

Literally just making a pdf and running it through this site: convertio.co/ocr/

The site is slow as fuck and has daily limits on the number of files so it takes forever.

I'm going to bed in a little while but I'd be glad to help tomorrow after I get back from uni. Are we converting stuff from CoR or somewhere else or what?

“健気(kenage)” is an attitude which is to be still positive in an adversity (don’t know what English word is to be that meaning).
So then, the sentence might be translated into
“Are you meaning being positive?”,
I presume.

Expect it would help you, and I appreciate you if you would point out and revise any awkward portion in my English.
Thanks.

If I ever meet a samurai I'm gonna punch him square in the jaw

In English you would say "be positive in the face of adversity". Or "be positive despite adversity".

Your English is passable although " are you meaning being positive?" Does not make sense but I don't know enough Japanese to tell you with confidence what you should say. I think "Do you intend to be positive?" Or "are you trying to be positive?" Is probably what you want to say but I'm not sure.

[I am correcting your English. If there is more than 1 suitable word, I use / to show the options, and ( ) to show optional words. If you have any questions about the changes, ask me. Some of the changes I made were not necessary, but they sound better - for example "revise" -> "correct". Anything in { } is a required change.]

>“健気(kenage)” {refers to an attitude where you remain/stay positive} in {face of adversity} (I don’t know what English word is {comparable in meaning}).
>So then, the sentence might/can be translated {as}
>"Are you {staying} positive?",
>I think.

>{I expect (that) this might} help you. I {would appreciate it} if you (would) point out and correct any awkward portions in/of my English.
>Thanks.

>passable
Thanks for your frank opinion.
>" are you meaning being positive?"
The difficulty of this portion is that the phrase “健気かよ!" is presumably NOT toward the action which the speakers intend to do in future.

The situation I imagined is
「昨日妹の部屋行ってパンツの匂い嗅いでたんだよいつも通り(last night I sneaked into sister’s bedroom and started sniffing her underwear as always)」
「相変わらずゴミ野郎だな(you bastard as always)」
「そしたらあいつ帰ってきやがってさ、火がついたように泣き始めてさ(so then she happened to come back and saw me, then bursted into crying as hell)」
「最低だよ(totally unacceptable)」
「だから俺は健気にもさ、妹を説得にかかった訳よ(so then, I tried to persuade her. And I was not even relinquishing my positive attitude for whole situation)」
「健気かよ!(was it you to be positive?」

I am not sure my English is still passable, but the phrase “健気かよ!” Is very likely to be associated with comic duo dialogues “漫才”. So it’s little hard to tell it’s nuances correctly, at least for me.
Thanks.

ありがとう、ありがとうねぇぇ。

そんなことを。。。なぜ思い当たった

that fucking example ...
I love you, nip bro

daily reminder that kanji is retarded and needs to be abolished

ペニス

ochinchin

daily reminder the day of the leaf is coming

I still have things I would like to discuss, but I am going.
And 健気 is almost always used for something weak and powerless. So then, the character in OP’s pic is really an epitome of 健気.
Thank you.

I would happily reply to any question I can answer , but ill be gone for the next 12 hours.

I'm basing your explanation of 健気 on what I found:
> 現代では特に、幼く力の弱い者が、困難な状況で立派に振る舞うさまにいう。
The closest meaning to this that still feels natural is bravery or courage, in the sense of pushing past some adversity.
>だから俺は健気にもさ、妹を説得にかかった訳よ
So then, bracing myself with the courage, I worked to convince my sister (I don't think 'try' works here, in the idea of 試みる)
>健気かよ!
What courage?!

I'm not sure the effect of oneself describing themselves as 健気 with the carried nuance of being weak, but I'd like to think it's used sarcastically. They don't actually think they're courageous.

私はデートにいきました

Are there many anime otaku on hellotalk? if so, what's the easiest way to find them? I want to practice production, and if it's going to involve actively talking to other people, I'd rather at least have common ground to work with.

Can I get some help with this sentence?

しかれどもさらに精密にこれを観察せば兵の太陽はその光輝燦爛たるがごとしといえども夕暉すでに斜めに西山に入らんとする絶望的のものにして、かの富の太陽は紅輪杲々としてまさに半天に躍り上らんとする希望的のものなるを見るべし。
Source: furigana.info/w/夕暉

Here's my attempt:

However, if you really think about it, a soldier's sun is usually bright, but when it comes the dawn and it starts to set in the west, a feeling of despair comes along; but seeing such a vivid-red blazing sun dancing in mid-air always brings some hope.

Also, I think it'd make more sense if it was 其の, not 兵の, could it be some OCR bug?

そうですよね

>meet anyone outside of tokyo
>they try to speak english
>likely

Is サービス synonymous with 無償?
I encounter plenty of former and not much of later.