I just watched this movie. I quite liked it. What did you guys think?

I just watched this movie. I quite liked it. What did you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think about the remake coming out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Lt1FrOSYJ4g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not as good as the TV series because it doesn't have tachikomas. Remake will only be good if it has tachikomas.

I'm not smart enough to understand it.

Watched the dub twice and the sub once, and I still don't get it.

I didn't even know there was a series. I'll check that out.

I'm not sure if I understand it either. From what I can gather, there are themes of the nature of life and evolution.

Just watched it last night. It was literally "babby's first animu" for me. I've never watched anything animated. At least not since I was a child.

Shit was awesome. Anything else I have to see?

Howl's Moving Castle

I only dabble in anime, but most of Gibli's work is good. Akira is really good. That's about it off the top of my head.

Shit, totally forgot about this. My wife made me watch this, I think... or maybe it was Kiki's Delivery Service.

Patlabor series.

Satoshi Kon's work.

All anime is trash. Not to mention the movie itself is horribly outdated.
The remake will literally do everything better in every way.

GitS has a ton of thematic content in it, which combined with the strong characters makes it one of my favorite movies (and one of the best of all time).

The big overarching theme concerns evolution, and how the next step in human evolution is to become the human/AI hybrid that the Major turns into at the end of the film.

It's not a given that AI will ever truly be achieved, but it is almost universally accepted that such a thing would be to humans what we are to bacteria.

The movie wants you to ask questions like: who will the androids of tomorrow admire more, Yuri Gagarin or Sputnik

I know this is bait, but the animation is literally beautiful. I've stayed away from anime for years for no real reason but was blown away by GITS.

From the marketing, it looks like the adaption has nothing to do with the themes of the original.

I'm excited to see Scarlett Johansen in the suit though.

Movie is great, a crowning achievement in the history of animation. I absolutely could not stand the TV show though (way, WAY too much techno babble, endless exposition and literally speaking every single thought, and the talking tanks are annoying as fuck). I really don't care about the new movie at all, barely feel any urge to even pirate it.

t. avi arad

I'm gunna be that guy

Satoshi Kon's films are above average, but they're not amazing.

Paranoia agent is his best work, but that's an entire series

I don't know what it is about it is about Paprika but I fucking hate that movie.

Anything by Miyazaki

Once you've seen some of his best work (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, etc), check out these:
Cowboy Bebop
Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist

Animation is fantastic but honestly I was kinda underwhelmed with the story and characters and thought there was too much exposition. Maybe it was because I watched the dub I dunno

Here's the ewatch order since it's confusing.

GitS (not GitS 2.0, that's worse) > GitS 2: Innocence >> Stand Alone Complex > Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG > Solid State Society >> Arise movies (which nobody cares about)

Everything else is a summarised worse version.

TTGL is probably the best anime I've seen. Is NGE actually any good? I thought it was just a meme.

I never finished the movie when I was a teenager because it was normally only showing in cable with that horribly dub sound mix. Seriously it turned me off from animu for a few years because I couldn't hear clearly half of the dialogue.

Years later I finally watched it and it was cool but I was generally unimpressed, seemed kind of quaint but nothing special. Now I feel it was a missed opportunity not to have seen it back when I was younger

yes, it is.

there's a lot of controversy around it because >contrarians, but regardless of your take on it, NGE is definitely worth your time.

It was the best the genre had to offer back when it came out, but it's just not timely anymore. You can sort of say that Gurren Lagann is kind of the repeal/replace of NGE

[super rub a dub intensifies]

My Neighbor Totoro > Kiki's Delivery Service > Whisper of the Heart > Ponyo > Princess Mononoke > The Tale of Princess Kaguya > Spirited Away > The Wind Rises > Porco Rosso > The Cat Returns > When Marnie Was There > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Pom Poko > From Up on Poppy Hill > Howl's Moving Castle > Arrietty > Tales from Earthsea > Only Yesterday > My Neighbors the Yamadas

I still gotta watch Paranoia Agent, but I've seen all of Kon's films and Paprika was suuuper overrated. It's the only one that I'd say was straight up bad.

Tokyo Godfathers was nice in a feel-good way, Perfect Blue was genuinely thrilling, Millennium Actress is very good, and Dream Machine is also good - but none of them were anything revolutionary. Perfect Blue is probably the only one I'd recommend in order to show someone that animation can be used to make an effective horror film - but even then, there are better choices

TTGL is the kind of sort of the answer to NGE if that makes sense

Also it's my favorite anime of all time and I think it's better than NGE, but you should watch NGE anyways
They're both interesting twists on the giant mecha genre

>went to see Logan
>trailer for ScarJo in the Shell comes on
>no audience reaction at all
>dead silence as the trailer ends
>suddenly someone loudly says "Wow... that looks like shit!"
>entire room bursts into laughter

It's going to be a bigger budget Lucy. Might do well in Chinatown, but otherwise it's going to be a bomb

NGE was a deconstruction of the tropes present in Gundam and the giant robots genre in general. Gurren Lagann is a reconstruction of those tropes. I think that both are vital to the genre as a whole. And both are good in their own right.

>Perfect Blue was genuinely thrilling
Yes, god tier animu right there.

TTGL is a shadow of NGE. It's not even fair to TTGL to compare it to NGE, they're not even in the same sport - let alone ballpark

Was it autism?

From the marketing, it looks like it's got nothing to do with the original except setting.

ScarJo in the suit looks good I guess.

yeah, sure I can agree with that, that was my point.

>Deconstruction
What a fucking meme, no thanks, I'll pass.

The Yamadas were superb in their own right I don't believe they should belong on the list.

Also, Pom Poko is the fucking best there's no way it's below the Wind Rises, but it is definitely at par with Porco Rosso.

they are because one is a reaction to the other

It's a good show on its own, man. I'd tell you to check it out.

You're going to love the Cowboy Bebop series.

I just watched Ghost in the shell: Innocence and i thought it was trash compared to the first one. It didn't even feel like it was in the same universe.

>he can't rank all the Studio Ghibli movies

I rewatched Pom Poko recently and I stand by my ranking. it's mid-tier, worth watching but nothing special. Only great scene is the ghost parade.

watched it the first time years ago on tv because I liked motoko's eyes. Stayed because I liked the animation, but never understood the whole story (I was like 8 probably)

I really want to watch it again, but at the same time, I don't. I know I'm not going to like it

I was going to check it out. I'll get back to you tomorrow if the thread is still up.

Doubt it though.

>Somebody who likes GitS should like:
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Patlabor: The Movie
Patlabor 2: The Movie
Memories: Magnetic Rose
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Psycho-Pass (first season)
Royal Space Force: The Wings of HonnĂȘamise
Blue Submarine No. 6
Planetes
Texhnolyze
Akira

>Misc. recs you should enjoy
The Castle of Cagliostro
Mushishi
Redline
The Tatami Galaxy
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Why wouldn't you like it?

It's just easily digestible yet entertaining "muh descartes" high concept sci-fi/philosophy shit with really nice animation, what's not to like?

If the guy who framed the Mona Lisa also framed my college lecture doodles, it wouldn't make my doodles an artsy reaction to the Mona Lisa.

NGE is art. TTGL is just an animated mecha show

sorry I don't watch nipshit, fuck off weeb

>Dream Machine is also good - but none of them were anything revolutionary
Overplayed your bluff a little there.

>I've never watched anything animated

As you watch more Japanese animation, don't forget to watch based French films.

Shh don't ruin it for other people

TTGL is the best animated mecha show of all time

They're both art, just because one is deconstructionist and the other just uses mecha as a regular narrative plot device doesn't make it not art

move totoro down a few
move marnie up a few and only yesterday up a lot
otherwise its good

my fuckin' niggers

That movie raped my mind for like two days.

I don't think that TTGL is just an animated mecha show. It was a direct reaction to NGE's breaking down of the mecha genre.

la planete sauvage is pure kino

Even assuming that TTGL merits the "art" label, which I disagree with, but assuming it does - it's nothing revolutionary like NGE. It's not doing anything that hadn't been already by Yoshiyuko Tomino in Gundam or Ideon.

And what cause the animation is smooth? Akira has animation that today still looks out of the world impressive. Doesn't make it a work of art, it's actually a pretty meh movie.

It's Satoshi Kon tier

not a good example, but there's a specific comparison to be made between let's say an impressionistic painting in contrast to the same object being painted by an expressionist.

So this being the mecha genre, NGE are kind of a perfect contrast because they still keep most of the same storytelling tropes in both cases. It's not an accident, the same studio animated both series

prepare your body
youtu.be/Lt1FrOSYJ4g

Just remembered, FLCL is pretty good.

>in the suit

So running along the vein of the impressionist vs expressionist arena you brought up: my favorite artist is Paul Gauguin, who was post-impressionist. He said, "all art is revolution or imitation."

My argument would be that sure, maybe you can elevate TTGL above stuff like Naruto (which I think is the level it belongs at), but ultimately it's nothing revolutionary. It doesn't do anything that hadn't already been done with Gundam back in 1979

What makes NGE revolutionary isn't the mecha storyline. It has nothing do with the Mechs vs Monsters plot. NGE is revolutionary because of its themes, characters, dialogue and the ability of the animators to convey extremely complicated themes on a shoestring animation budget. And I know that animation team includes Imaishi, who was integral in NGE's development, but that doesn't automatically elevate TTGL to the same playing field.

>omitting nausicaa

bruh

It's not Ghibli. If I include it it's somewhere in the middle.

>What did you guys think?
Anti art garbage
>Also, what do you guys think about the remake coming out?
Chances are it will be better

>Somewhere in the middle
Why so low?

Strong competition.

Why do you call it anti art?

fair enough.

Why weren't Star Wars space battles like this? This makes flying in Space a horrid place to be in.

Star Wars is for children

Who should play Lil Slugger in the film adaptation?

Star Wars is a fun space adventure.

This is something else entirely.

The original movie is a classic and a legitimately good film.
I don't have a good feeling about the remake, but I don't really have a life right now so I'll see it at the end of the month.

Imagine being the Puppet Master in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Motoko Kusanagi, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your flabby body and horrific androgynous monster face. I would totally merge my consciousness with you, both my ghost and the real me." when all he really wants to do is hack another loli sexbot in the red light district. Like seriously imagine having to be the Puppet Master and not only sit in that chair while Kusanagi flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing her stretchmarks and doughy skin, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that stance. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, KUSANAGI LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been hacking nothing but a healthy diet of foreign diplomats and politicians and later Section 9 staff for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Section 6. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and merge with her "Rubenesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the Minister of Foreign Affairs calls for another hacking, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the cyberpolice could shut you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're the fucking Puppet Master. You're not going to lose your future ghost over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

what I'm saying is that what makes TTGL good are not only the production values but also the themes. You're partially right to say TTGL doesn't do anything that Gundam hadn't already done, ok but the point is that what it's doing goes beyond Gundam because it's a reaction to the reaction which was NGE. It's not dialing back the genre, it's moving past it's counter.

NGE is notable for being the contrary to the convention of the genre, but it's still the oposite end, TTGL is an attempt to integrate both, so of course it isn't anything "new" but it is distinct from both.

That's not even the same shot, or a scene exclusive to that movie.

Yes, because the animation is REALLY good and on top of that it also has good characters and neat metaphors in the story and good overall themes
it's just a well rounded, solid anime that comparatively is better than any other standard mecha anime

Honestly, in the case of just raw animation talent, as someone who has dabbled in 2d animation I think it's among the best anime i've ever seen
The keyframes during the really active and fluid scenes and how they play with parallax/field of distance stuff is so fucking impressive. and the entire ending bit gets really creative with the animation too

Robert Downey Jr

Fire and Ice and Heavy Metal

My counter argument would be that just because something looks really good, that doesn't mean it's actually good.

There's a reason why "muh graphics" is a whole thing on Sup Forums

I totally 100% see what you're saying, and I agree with the vast majority of it. I would just contend that TTGL is to NGE what Naurto is to Dragonball.

Naruto is it's own thing, it's distinct from Dragonball. Yu-gi-oh is it's own thing, it's distinct from Pokemon. Bleach is it's own thing, it's distinct from Yu Yu Hakusho. But they are shadows of their betters

Thank you Ralph Bakshi

A near theater is going to show it really soon. Would provably go there, but I dont think GITS is a movie to watch with an audience

Astra Militarum.webm

Definitely not a movie to see in theaters with mongoloids and their noisy wrappers and leg spasms

Where's that from? That's some freaky deaky shit.

Magnetic Rose

"Memories", an anthology movie

Magnetic Rose, part of Memories (1995).

>it's a "Sup Forums does a better job discussing anime than Sup Forums" episode

everytime.

Boards usually get tired of discussing the most popular stuff in their medium.

And why is that anyway? Do they have a bias against older stuff?

it's a cult classic for a reason
don't like scarjo's casting besides that it looks like a pretty typical hollywood action/revenge plot movie

There's probably been too many of these over at Sup Forums.

they autistically screech if you dont talk 24/7 about the latest moe garbage aired on japan.

Because we're tourists and they are prisoners.

It's like going to Sup Forums and saying "Hey guys, I just found out about this game called Deus Ex, let's talk about it!"

Sup Forums usually discusses seasonal releases or threads about all anime in general.
They still have good threads about older shows but you're not gonna find people with the enthusiasm to talk about Cowboy Bebop at length, it's all been said.

Sup Forums is sort of the same. If I made a thread about Kagemusha it would get 6 replies and everybody would want to talk about his other movies.