So what is the right answer?

So what is the right answer?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20/5*(2+2)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

I was talking with a monkey who gets caught in lies and then purposefully misquotes you to make himself look less of a monkey. Not choosing to enable this garbage again

Even though it's PEMDAS I thought you did Multiplication and Division in the order they appear? Isn't the right answer 16?

1 u tripfag retard

This is a joke right. Picture is photo shopped right?

This is subversion to make our people inefficient in STEM

Yuri talked about this exact thing, leading education away from pragmatic study.

how do you fuck up a projector to the point where shit is at that angle

It's fucking 1. How fucking stupid can you be?

Ofc it is. I have no Idea how it can be 1.

20/(5 * (2 * 2))
I guess

yes. BBut americans are till easily baited

To be fair, the format that equation is in is sloppy. But the answer is 1.

If you do it the old way, the answer is still 16.

You'd have to be pretty bad at math to think the answer is 1.

you put an addition symbol where it was a multiplication symbol

2*2 = 4
20 / 5 = 4

4(4) what?

PLEASE EXECUTE MY DEGENERATE AFRICAN SLAVE

Yes but that's an added ( which wasn't in before. So the correct result is 16 and can never be 1,

Before there's a billion retard replies, it should be noted that any / or ÷ notation is unscientific because it is ambigious.

This is because PEMDAS or BODMAS or whatevermas is a flawed method for the order of operation, there are equations you are not capable of solving with it in the first place.

The problem is twofold: First PEMDAS introduces a false order of operation based on the linear notation that avoids fractions (which solve the problem). Then, since this would inevitably produce false results, it adds EXTRA rules that are NOT present in the actual mathematical rules, in order to fix those problems (such as processing equations left to right, this rule is literally invented just so PEMDAS doesn't break). What you're left with is a broken mess of a system that should be abolished past the 3rd grade.

Every division can be expressed as a fraction and you can write those down without a ton of extra parentheses and without any ambiguity.

You are right. But in this situation the answer is the same. 2+2 == 2*2

it's 4 *4

>ny / or ÷ notation is unscientific because it is ambigious.
In what way?

Yeah which is weird to say that the old way is 1. I always thought common core was just put whatever answer you want, and as long as you can show the correct way to get to the answer, even if it's wrong, it's right.

So any number in front of () is multipled by the number inside the ().

Maths was never my strong suit.

20/5 (4x4)=16
>This is apparently common core
Am i missing something here?

The old way was never correct. Common core is stupid but the answer was always 16

You do the brackets first, which is 2*2=4
Then you divid 20/5=4
then you multiply 4 outside of the brackets with the 4 inside of the brackets with is 16.

Brackets
Exponentials
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

this is fucking easy

Yes, it's the norm. When it does not specify anything, any number in front of brackets is multiplying the number for the result of the operation inside the brackets

tl;dr

20/5 (2*2) can be read either

20 * (2*2)
________

If you consider 20/5 a fraction and (2*2) a multiplier

or

________
5 * (2*2)

Both different equations, therefore different answers.

What method is used to get 1?

old way? what... is this for real?

>BEDMAS
>Not BODMAS

Not only pic related but they want to be different in their school curriculum

Fuck you guys I'm not doing this again.

>BEDMAS
Its PEMDAS, but you're still right

No you can't. There is no brackets in 5*(2*2).

So there is only 1 way to read this. (20/5) *(2*2)

holy shit does PEMDA not mean anything to you faggots?? PARENTHESIS FIRST, EXPONENTS, MULTIPLICATION, DIVISION, ADDITION/SUBTRACTION:

20/5(2*2)
20/5*4
20/20

holy shit

rule of precedence

>BEDMAS

REEEEEEEEEE GET OUT YOU FUCKING SYRUPNIGGER

FUCKING AMERICANS

Wat? How are you even able to type at this level of retardation?

Parenthesis first...

Wait im being trolled arent i

why do you make 5*4 first?

1 and kys

(2*2)

great. Now make the 20/5*4

Order of operations mean nothing. Try deciphering any poo-in-loo programming code.

Brackets is a better word than parenthesis because [] and {} are parenthesis. () are brackets.

lol
>czech education

>american education

Implied brackets mainly.

Again, PEMDAS adds extra rules to try to fix its own shortcomings.

Consider the equation y = 1 / 3 / 3

As a rational thinking mathematician you know that the order of multiplication (which is what a division really is) is associative, which means you are freely allowed to move operants around. Of course this horribly fails when you use it with a notation like the above.

Is it (1/3) / 3 or 1 / (3/3)? This matters to you if you get into higher level math and not this high school shit where people still use / or ÷ and get equations that are a lot more complex.

Worse than that, PEMDAS isn't even a complete system. What do you do with an equation like this: x=|3-5|
or -1/2^e

PEMDAS doesn't give you an answer, because PEMDAS is fundamentally designed for literal children so they don't have to deal with axiomatic math rules such as the associative property of multiplication, instead they made something that only works left to right.

The real problem is they never teach you that this is the windowlicker method and you should stop using it as soon as possible.

Just the way it is, the way i see it is Maths is a sequence of instructions, you fuck up just ONE of them and you're entire solution is ruined, that's why i hate maths.

20/5(2*2)=1
but
20/5*(2*2)=16

>MULTIPLICATION/DIVISION
>ADDITION/SUBTRACTION

Based on order

>portugal
>talking shit
high school must be hard but you can always flip burgers if you don't make it

its 16 you dumb niggers

They are trying to get rid of PEMDAS! THOSE BASTARDS!

>Australia aboriginal
>2.4 percent

I tried to show that depending on how you read the problem you will get a different equation.

It is a problem of presentation.

I agree with you.

no an argument
Your failure to compute a simple equation is not the Barbarossa's fault.

not*

Math gives me anxiety. I actually patted myself on the back for remembering how to solve this. Then I'd look at the next 49 questions and realize I'm dumber than an 8th grader.

As an example, consider something like pic related. You don't wanna know how this looks like with / notation. You have to add a billion brackets.

With proper fractions, you can immediately note the relationship between certain elements which lets you simplify the equation efficiently.

>because PEMDAS is fundamentally designed for literal children
True. Everyone who knows a little about math stops using stop using this once they are 15. Shit like OP pic should be automatic to highschoolers

> x=|3-5|

what as this got to do with pemdas? The answer is 2 or am i missing anything?

> use / or ÷ and get equations that are a lot more complex.
they do? in highschool we always used fractions

That is what it's beautifull about math

The results diverge after the parenthesis calculation. So what's first, Multiplication or division. I've heard conflicting opinions on this, but since they are just opinions...

The equation is intentionally written like shit to cause the confusion. That notation is revolting.

No, this kind of shit is real now, not just a meme. Common core teaches this kind of 'no wrong answers' bullshit in math

>what as this got to do with pemdas? The answer is 2 or am i missing anything?
It is 2, but PEMDAS does not cover absolute values. That's the point. PEMDAS doesn't technically even cover the left to right rule, they added that because it literally doesn't work without i, despite that rule not being present in "real" math.

>Spend hours doing equation
>Make a single error
>Wrong
>reeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

isn't the real problem with this image the notion that both are equally correct?

I got 1. A lot of you niggers got 16. We both can't be right.

You do the parenthesis first (2 * 2) = 4

Then 4 (4)

PE(MD)(AS)
The correct answer is 16

Are you stupid? 5(2*2) is by predefinition, 5*(2*2). Only if it's specified that it's not a multiplication, like 5+(2*2) or 5/(2*2)

BODMAS fuckkard

Except multiplication/division take order from left to right. Same goes for subtraction/addition. PEMDAS has rules associated with it, too.

So the real answer is 16

exactly

if you werent retarded you would know you always do the top of the division line before the bottom.

Google common core standards they are. You get full credit for wrong answers if you prove you understood the concept and just messed up the execution.

high school is far from me. I'm in CS, so i know more about math then you

Pemdas is for kids. you don't even need to make the operation in brackets first.

But there is absolutely no ambiguity in this problem. there is only lack of knowledge or simply mistakes

/ (as opposed to ÷) implies parentheses because it is an alternate form of fraction notation.

20 / 5 (2*2) is really

____
5(2*2)

When written clearly this is obvious. Of course confusion can be avoided by simply including the implied parentheses in the first place.

I don't think you understand the purpose of my point

and btw, the equation is (1+2)/3×((((3/3+3)/(2+2/3+3))/(2+3))/(3+3))/(1+1) if you write it out with the shit notation.

This is why PEMDAS is shit.

than you*
too bad you don't know shit about english

BEDMAS is what is taught in Australia.

This slide is a blatant lie. They made the "old way" incorrect to make it worse than the "new way".
Answer is 16 and person who created this slide is a lier or a retard

except that it is ambiguous that way while it is not ambiguous with / notation

THIS

>This is why PEMDAS is shit.
>i dont like things that are hard so working out equations is shit
mathmeticians way smarter than you all use BEDMAS. just becuase you get triggered by something doesnt make it bad

If we are being specific,
{} are braces
[] are brackets
() are parentheses

Colloquially, all three (and more) can be called brackets or parentheses.

No it is not, BODMAS/BOMDAS

Right like I said in
There's BEMDAS and PEDMAS, the issue is whether division or multiplication are first, so which one is it.
Need matematicians pls.

You learn geometry from common core

No they don't.

There is literally no ambiguity with fractions. But there is with OP's pic, hence we have about the ten millionth thread about this shit.

>tfw there are people who maths comes easily to them while you suck

There is no second parenthesis. After you do the first one, you go back to the start of the sum because neither / nor * has priority. The answer is 16.

Mfw I fucked that up
*PEMDAS and
*BODMAS

exactly. But we are talking about OP pic, and none of this is needed

No it's not.

What kind of equations are you doing that require hours? Are you some kind of Math PhD or something?

16 is the only real answer

holy fuck are you stupid?

>Then 4 (4)

>See flag
>Ignore

BEDMAS is the only thing I've encountered in about fifteen different primary and secondary schools (I've had occasion to observe due to my work). I've seen BODMAS from the subhuman states, but I have only ever seen foreigners use MD as opposed to DM.

>There is literally no ambiguity with fractions
yes there is

which one has priority? thats the ambiguity there you idiot

and OP is NOT ambiguous to anyone with basic mathematical education

>subhuman states

what did he mean by this?