Columbus Day perhaps?

Columbus Day perhaps?

Greatest man to ever live

The Hero our country needs but not the one it deserves right now.

he was a pretty bad guy
>A recently discovered report by Bobadilla alleges that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report, found in 2006 in the national archive in the Spanish city of Simancas, contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about the treatment of colonial subjects by Columbus and his brothers during his seven-year rule.[84]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report claims that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[84] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[85] "Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[84] "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[84]

obviously americans would just whitewash it

His surname is Colombo in every Latin language. Why did you butcher it? The former capital of Sri Lanka is still today Colombo in English

but not in latin

Sounds pretty intense. Latins are based

no, just him
de las cases was obviously sick of it and devoted all his time for the native cause after he saw what columbus did

the spanish tried to get some order by banishing columbus and his family from further expedition
they were literally embarrassed by his inhumanity

>guy was a contemporary of the priests that initiated the spanish inquisition as well as the soldiers that had driven the moors away from spain

>somewhat he wouldn't be harsh on a people he was forced to rule with an iron fist once he had just a handful of men for him to count on for him to impose obedience on them, and the closest central government that could give him support on his tasks was a 3 month's ship voyage away from him in the other side of the world

But stalin was okay because the things he's done were done under a flag that had a hammer and a sickle on it, then obviously he wasn't as bad, there's a huge difference in that.

no, he can't

>hates the things he's done
>loves the society that was built as a consequence of the things he's done
????

Who? Every latin american poster on Sup Forums curses the makeshift republics they post under more often than not.

>triggered liberal faggots are judging a man from the 15th century using modern standards of morality

really gives your noggin a joggin'

sounds muslim

>modern standards
"I saw here cruelty on a scale no living being has ever seen or expects to see."

there can be more than one bad apple in the tree

the state of the worse bad apple does not make the other bad apple not bad apple

Most of those posters would get belted like little bitches if they dared make their opinions public, they're hardly representative of anything. A majority of us do love our countries.

Yeah, and the same guy who said that also suggested using African slaves in Hispaniola l m a o

This. Most people in Mexico are braindead nationalists.

>who?
Americans, aren't we talking about america as a continent and as nation as well? Are you forgetting about your state of british "columbia", you think that is a made up name named after an iroquois man?
Everything you hold dear in your liberal society is a consequence of the age of discovery, and this is the man that made all of that possible, whether you like him or not

But I get it, he's a bad man. Very bad. The good guys are the marxists. I know it.

it's not funny
african slaves were less naive about work

native americans aren't used to large mines or plantations, working sun up to sun down is unheard of

I was pointing out the irony of quoting someone who cared so much for those poor injuns and at the same time suggested enslaving Africans en masse like it ain't no thang.

Then you would also mention how he later denounced such a position as well then?

it's not irony to them

But you and your modern society exist because of this bad apple

You're literally the consequence of the things that could be possible for people to do after the things he's done.
How do you deal with that?

A lot of you guys keep saying that "you wouldn't exist" if hitler had won the war, but you always ignore the fact that you do exist because columbus existed and did the things he's done

Why isn't that something that you acknowledge instead of condemning? Bad actions are part of the human condition, whether they got great outcomes or not. If you must condemn people for their actions in the past based on modern morality then you won't be able to deal with your own existance at some extent

Obviously fake Americans (((minorities))) would just brownwash it

>modern morality
Stop being disingenuous. Even during his time what he did was considered morally reprehensible. You edgy right-wing Brazilians are by far the most dishonest people on this website. You people just want to relish in human cruelty and malice to others but still give a facade of respectability.

yes i should be grateful to columbus and not to the people that help to clean his shit when he was sent home and forget all the failed rebellions that the natives tried in during his rule and might have succeeded if he wasn't set home

we should all build statues of him everywhere and name every single crap city street capital country after him because of how great a person he was and we should all emulate his passion for treating people like his person pet

>person pet
personal pets

We should.

And then we should punish all hispanics and natives in this hemisphere for the atrocities they committed under the Aztec empire, the Apache cannibals, and the Incan empire etc.

You are liberally brown-washing it, while immensely befitting from it having happened, like the parasite and fake American that you are.

You owe everything you have that is good and civilized to what he did.

If you believed otherwise you would stop appropriating European civilization that he brought with him, and would go live in the wilderness wearing animal skins, speaking a nigger-tier language, and having no fucking wheel.

Through victim-hood you get free gibs-me-dats, and that is what it is all about to (((fake Americans))) aka minorities.

no one along deserve the building of america
stop trying to simply history to one man, he is undeserving

you are everything wrong with this earth

Im not brazilian, and if you feel the need of reducting this discussion on an ad hominem argument like that then you're not intellectually honest enough for discussing the things that happened in the past.

You see, this question, or even this dicussion we're having, has nothing to do with the flags of the nations that were created because of the things that were done by this man, whether the brazilian or the canadian, or any other. Neither with political ideology, it has to do with the consequences of the actions of a man that had changed history.
The point is that they exist because of this man, whether he was a bad man of not. Him being bad isn't relevant for that, you get it?

We're talking about the human condition here. Humans are no gods who don't have faults, and most of you acknowledge that when you try to make a case for communist genocide, but suddenly forget about it when you have to face the question of your own existance as a direct cause of the genocide columbus did.

Without columbus, rather, without the bad things he's done, nothing you hold dear as democracy and modern morality wouldn't even be possible. He's just as important to that as Robespierre has been to the french revolution.

But no, he's horribly wrong in proportioning you the possibility to exist, and I am wrong as well because I can't look at this situation without considering the emotional aspects it inflicted. Oh, history has been made by emotions, wasn't it? So you're right, of course. I am wrong, sir.

>s-stop invalidating my false argument by using its exact same premise against me

Kill yourself you fucking brainlet.

Your ancestors are human trash who you owe absolutely nothing to, because you don't even live in their civilization.

In your room right now there is not 1 single thing that is not an appropriation of European civilization. You owe everything to the colonizers, and everyone fucking knows it.

He's a hero in my household

what is your nationality?

sure but this is about columbus not colonization
please stick to the topic and not misdirect like all you people do

More like your average Mexican drug cartel

>Him being bad isn't relevant for that, you get it?
Then why shy away from mentioning it? Why try to silence those who acknowledge his malice? Why use misdirection an accuse people itt of making a case for communist purges?

I stuck to the topic and proved you have no point and are full of shit.

Which is why you now want to change the topic.

>if you like your society you must like everyone who influenced it, even if they were bad by any moral standard!
Fuck off, dumb amoral nigger. There are others who built the Americas far more deserving of praise than him. People who can be judged by a non-modern light and still be considered worthy of national holidays and streets/cities named by him. I don't give a fuck about the actual day but do not try to obscure the facts.

>yes i should be grateful to columbus and not to the people that help to clean his shit when he was sent home
Like what, enslaving africans and native americans for 250 years? We should praise those people for that?

You're missing my point. I'm not praising columbus nor implying that monuments are always meant to praise things. Holocaust memorials aren't praising the death of those who were killed, for example.
Columbus and the people who followed him were bad, but the things they've done made many great things flourish as well. Can you imagine how things would be for american blacks if their ancestors didn't have been enslaved? They'd be starving in africa right now.
Same things about the people columbus genocided, they'd be offering kids to their pagan gods without the wonders of modern civilization, for instance.

You people will never understand history if you keep refusing the idea that things that were done by bad people under your modern morality had to be completely bad because of this, when in fact bad things can also have many good outcomes as well. History doesn't work like that, and if you feel the need to disavow historical figures because of that mindset you have, then you'll never fully understand the real causes for the world you live in today.

Nah, he's right, it's more like your fellows than Mexican cartels.

But I don't do stuff like that

Yeah, but he introduced the world to cacao, vanilla, and chili peppers, among other things. Worth it. :^)

it was not subtle irony
he only brought gold back

you missed the point
it wasn't “modern morality", it was ancient morality
no one liked what he was doing and even his most trusted people betrayed him to the crown investigation because he was such a bad person

there is nothing modern about that

Yeah, well you're an open homosexual who's also Muslim (!) so you're not exactly the most representative person of your religion, are you?

He was a greater man than anyone who has ever used 5chan will be

Kill yourself, cuck.

Paint my chicken coop!