Why don't they make big epics anymore?

Why don't they make big epics anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vbMQfaG6lo8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not what moviegoers want anymore.

>What is Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman?

didn't you watch THE HOBIT

They do, they're just not that good.

only the first one

Because we want endless Marvel and Star Wars films instead.

Why spend millions crafting a detailed fantasy epic when you can shove some Hollywood asshole in spandex in front of a greenscreen to spout some preschool-tier gags and make ten times as much money?

They're called capeshit now

They have run out of space on their hard drive.

Because people don't have the patience for long movies anymore

You understand almost all movies now are fucking 3 hours long?

Because Dunkirk will bring epic warkino back

People spend hours a week binge watch Game of Thrones. Time is not the issue.

There is only one return at that is of the Jedi.

Probably because they're always shit.

Capeshit has taken over.

It's because of LotR that every goddamn fantasy movie now has to end in a unnecessary war epic.

There's only one return, and it's of Xander Cage

LotR movies weren't even particularly good IMO. Fellowship was the best and was still just "impressive", nothing mind-blowing, the rest were just okay. Weren't even as entertaining as the books, and those were dry as FUCK. I don't even dislike fantasy stuff, I thought Willow was great and for "epic" fantasy I always enjoyed stuff like 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts.

I don't get it.

China's taking care of that

27% on rottentomatoes, I believe

>Gods of War pic
Shitty movies isn't what people want? Sure. Make another LotR tier movie though and people will flock.

Warcraft Movie.

/thread

Requires amazing source material which is rare and hard to find. There aren't many LotR tier stories, if any. The only one I can think of is Warcraft if done right (they botched the first one), and maybe Dune.

This

Too much work, have a chance of flopping, requires a lot of talent, and all the big name properties have already been adapted. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I haven't heard of any recent fantasy books that have taken the world by storm (except I guess Game of Thrones but that obviously has a TV show).

The dark tower comes out this year. Even with the talented cast it will probably be shit.

People don't like those anymore, they either want grimdark stories about antiheroes or dumb movies with quips.

I bet you also watch fat guys review films on youtube too?

Sinbad and Jason And The Argonauts are 2 fucking badboy classics.

fuck off

This is not true whatsoever

Maybe the transformers movies, not much else

You had to be there when they came out. You're young, lad. Context is everything.

Garbage that didn't even make a billion dollars. I hate marvel btw.

Isn't that exactly what that Great Wall movie was attempting?

see:
All the ones that have come out have sucked too.
Robin Hood, Ben Hur, Gods of egypt, John Carter, the Musketeers, Exodus Gods and kings.

Real shame. It's my favorite genre.

Got is designed for add patients

At the time they were great in theaters. The level of detail was unprecedented for fantasy, and the cgi was pretty good for the time (until the third movie). I agree they are not aging well, but that is true of many movies.

this would have been decent had the ending no relied so hard on a sequel

You just listed a bunch of remakes. Remakes are almost never good.

LoTR was only successful because there wasn't much else like it at the time, and because it had nerd cred. They aren't even enjoyable films

What are you, 21?

reddit

because to make a good one takes years of preproduction and studios are like 18 y/o's who just want to blow their load. the only exception today are the avatar sequels, which are taking fucking forever because cameron is a mad-man perfectionist. say what you want abot the films but at least he goes all-out to make it as best he can.

I remember falling asleep during 2. Boring is LoTR's context

>you will never watch the extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven again for the first time

Why even arise a Knight ;_;

Objectively false. Upon multiple rewatches I still find them very enjoyable, and so do most people.

well those are the epics being produced so...maybe that's part of the problem though admittedly.

Wish I didn't enjoy big movies so much for that very reason. Only AAA budget stuff with an interesting premise gets me excited, yet so rarely do they deliver.

Not an argument brainlet

I was also talking box office not you irrelevant """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""enjoyment"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" (see tiny baby nostalgia )

General consensus vs your own shitty little personal opinion is an argument, and quite an effective one at that. Also box-office wise doesn't dictate a movies quality dumbass and you were saying they weren't that enjoyable. Read your own fucking post next time.

I'm 30 and saw them on release. I just don't get what the big deal is and why they're so loved by everyone. Sure the production itself was amazing, but the movies evaluated as movies (to me anyway) were just decent, nothing spectacular.

I think they were great because of the time that they were released. A lot of tedious work went into them and people were actually impressed by CGI.

Now it's just common, and people are bored by it. If a movie like Avatar was released today, people would be bored by it.

It makes a lot more sense to make super hero movies where it's basically Pokemoning characters into a movie, or remakes to tickle people's nostalgia.

I mean I was like 12 when they came out but to me the year between TT and Fellowship was one of the most exciting years ever. The impressive cinematography for the first time ever took me into a new world. Never has a movie done this. There is a lot of little tweeks that make the movie rewatchable, that even after 25+ rewatches, I still notice new things (in Fellowship)

General consensus? Lmao those movies are entirely forgotten. How many evidence-free claims do you plan on making? How many crybaby posts are you going to make defending nostalgia fuelled trash that NO ONE likes or cares about?

At least star wars fans don't pretend their movies are more than time wasters

Fuck I gotta up my game to this level.

LOTR is very important to a lot of people, look at fucking Sup Forums. You can have a quality thread about LOTR on any board.

it ain't easy, little homie

like did u know the guy who plays Elrond's son from the Hobbit is in Fellowship at the Council of Elrond. Regardless of your feelings on the Hobbit, I watched the movie a couple dozen times and never noticed that fucker.

LOL have you ever actually used the internet before you dumb cuck? The middle-earth fanbase is still among the biggest on the planet.

>At least star wars fans don't pretend their movies are more than time wasters
Uh yes they do? More proof you live under a rock.

Because they are misogynist and racist.

Hopefully one day someone will be able to make Zelda transition to film. The Zelda universe is so full of memorable shit that if you make it right you will have another film series to rival LotR and Star Wars

>fantasy
Not all epics have to be adapted from fantasy. There's a literal shitton of material from real life that's just begging for a 4 hour kino adaptation.

Has there ever been a good movie about Alexander the Great?
Kublai Khan?
A TV adaptation of Gore Vidal's Creation?
The Titanomachy? (not history, obviously, but would still make a kickass movie if done right)
The Battle of Hastings?
The Peloponnese War?
Conquest of Tenochtitlan?
Hitler's life up until WWII (although (((they))) would probably never allow it)
How about Aaron Burr?
The Boxer Rebellion?

That's just off the top of my head. Why doesn't Hollywood have any respect for the scope of history anymore?

but that would imply that Star Wars would rival LotR. StarWars rivals Battle of Five Armies (maybe...)

>this is what LotRfags actually believe

The Silmarillion is next whenever Tolkien's son dies.

>virgin's opinions matter reeeee

When did you last leave your house or speak to a functional adult in society ? Lmao

They're both substance-less garbage people pretend is good

that would be extremely depressing knowing that Tolkien and his family spent their whole lives protecting his franchise that he obviously loved very much from hollywood vultures, only letting LoTR being made by a good director with a clear vision and good script and then letting the Hobbit be made by the same guy who seemed like he couldn't care less about The Hobbit honoring its source material at all. Then having the last Tolkien who cares about his fathers fantasy world die, and have the memory of the world destroyed by what will likely be another shitty movie worse than Battle of the Five Armies

>complains about no argument
>resorts to ad hominem
What a dumbass

starwars has awful George Lucas writing (or writing meant to mimic boy George)
Lotr is written like a poem. Every line is poetry. The movies are meant to sound like they mimic an actual writer. (not just a sci-fi popularizer)

This might be the most cringe-inducing thing I've read on Sup Forums all day.

at least LotR lets you feel the grass under your toes. Lets you smoke a pipe on a stump. Lets you taste the wind and smell the apple pie. Star Wars started to let you feel these nice expansive worlds, but get bogged down by "OMG did u see Boba Fett, well let me make a whole movie about him!" (starwars fans try to justify Attack of the Clones when it was really just Boba Fett fanservice. "Hey how did u all not realize that the storm-troopers were reall Boba Fett the whole time." SIT DOWN GEORGE)

cringe all you want, Lotr has real emotion in a world that feels real if you open up to it. what does starwars have other than innovative special effects (that get more dated every year)

>Hitler's life up until WWII
>what is the rise of Hitler

youtu.be/vbMQfaG6lo8
If they made it an animated movie I think it could be great.

I bet you love game of reddit

>impotent nostalgia rage

star wars > lotr

Too time-consuming

Hollywood will shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for capeshit actors because you can make capeshit in less than a year but movies like Lord of the Rings with huge battles between extras and lots of set building and practical effects take too long

Hollywood studios are like Disneyworld now you have to keep up a huge stream of revenue to stay in business

Not really a big fan but The first few seasons were enjoyable more than I can say for Lord of the reddit

Did they went through with it and cast Idris Elba?

It's not just that

People have to see it in theatres or it will never get its money back - DVD sales aren't a thing anymore

It's a huge risk that studios just won't take anymore

Because of piracy. Nobody wants to hear it, but it's true.

>not a rabid fan of LotR, don't even hate it just don't understand all the fanboners
>GB2 REDTIT LEL
???

LoTR is reddit af 2bh.

Pretentious and self absorbed while maintaining that it is something more than turn your brain off kiddie shit

Also for a fantasy flick that is strictly narrative only its boring

LotR/Hobbit film universe
Narnia movies
Game of Thrones tv series
Harry Potter films

is this all we get Sup Forumsros?

must love your Boba Fett fanservice.

get off the net GEORGE

Kek no. It's because you have 10x the entertainment choices today than you did even when LoTR came out.

There is virtually unlimited free entertainment on youtube and during a steam sale I could nab 100s of hours of entertainment for less than a movie ticket

Buzzwords - the post

Did you expect intelligence from LoTR babbies?

Not an argument reddit

>Harry Potter films
>Harry Potter
>films
>Harry Potter

>Jason and the Argonauts
One of the best fantasy stories of all time. Even the cheesy tv version was good.