The Lobster

I don't know about you guys but I loved this movie and I rewatched it again and my love for it is more cemented. I think it was pretty hilarious and had a lot of great commentary on relationships and society.

What do you think?

Hated it.

It was an interesting concept that should have led somewhere, but didn't. Instead, it came across as a riddled fever dream with a heinous soundtrack and endless loose ends. Because apparently, coherent plots with closure and a sane composer is too much to ask for.

2quirky4me
Genuinely funny moments but it's like one of those indie films that endlessly force feeds you the ways in which it's different

It's like watching a Wes Anderson film, getting beaten over the head scene after fucking scene with his symmetry and hyper-vibrant colors/costume designs. It's quick to understand him

The Lobster's vibe is overwhelming like that

It was wonderful. It reminded me of my expectations of love and relationships after I broke up with my college girlfriend

What animal would you guys be?

Me?

I'd be a bull

Manatee

A mole so I don't risk ever having to watch this shit again

post modern film at its best.

golden eagle

I'd be a brown bear

It's great. Loved it even more after a 2nd viewing. One of the most creative screenplays of the 21st century.

I loved Dogtooth so I loved this one just as much

Tardigrade

What I never understood, is why people didn't simply lie about being in love in order to escape the fate of being turned into an animal? Did they have some way of knowing that you weren't in love?

essential numale core

mmmmmm..... good choice, user....

I would be an atom

house cat

loved this movie

They did, ya fuckin' dunce

Crow

I like it quite a bit as well. The writing, location selection, bit parts...all of it was great
What European arthouse should be
>heinous soundtrack
>Mozart
>Stravinsky
>Shostakovich
>Strauss

how does it feel to be this much a pleb

pepe

Not that user but, 1) While I have enjoyed those artists, not everyone is perfect, means that you may download the discography of someone and not like everything they made, plus they did not fit the mood at there was a piece in particular that felt like it was repeated ad nauseandum, it was as if the movie was beating me on the head over how gritty and bleak it was, the world seemed like a chinese knock off of Children of the men, I also did not found it funny even if I love black humor.

>oh sure, we can surgically turn someone into a flamingo or a horse, but we haven't developed any new vehicle technologies
>we go dance by ourselves in the woods because it's "funny"
>to not have to live by societies rules we run away and then just have to live by another bitch's rules
>they can force someone to become an animal, but still honor their already-overpopulated choice instead of re-populating other uncommon species

it was crap

I can't believe you didn't find did funny.

Stop applying real world logic to the movie.

Most of it is supposed to be an exaggerated metaphor for human relationships or the lack of them work.
It's not even mentioned whether they do actually have the tech to turn people into animals or its a myth perpetuated to keep people together out of fear.

That part is supposed to be analogous to how human society in general perceives you as worthless if you haven't married by a certain age imo.

Crab legs

>Stop applying real world logic to the movie.
no

the utter absurdity overshadowed any point it was trying to make

Who was that woman in the beginning who goes and shoots that mule or donkey?
Does she appear in the movie again? What was that subplot?

I'm sorry the absurdist movie was too absurd for you user.

That's subjective.

>It's not even mentioned whether they do actually have the tech to turn people into animals or its a myth perpetuated to keep people together out of fear.

I also meant to add: Which is why the MC never mentions what happened to that cruel woman. The wife while narrating mentions he never told her what animal he turned that woman into, I feel he didnt tell her because he realized that the whole people turned into animals thing was fake.

>form a long lasting relationship with the stranger or we'll turn you into an animal
>wait, what?
>we'll surgically cut up, you, a human, and reform you into an animal
>is that even possible?
>that's not important
>well, I mean, would I even have a consciousness after something like that?
>just move on, you'll be an animal
>what about after surgery? animal and human anatomy are not interchangeable! wouldn't I have a much shorter life and probably suffer?
>meet someone and be happy, that's all you need to worry about
>how am I supposed to be able to connect with someone when I'm constantly worrying about a life as an animal in constant agony, should anything go wrong!?
>don't worry about it

>It's not even mentioned whether they do actually have the tech to turn people into animals or its a myth perpetuated to keep people together out of fear.
What nonsense is this? Did you even watch the movie?

First half is great.
Second half is bad.

This post makes an argument for why turning people into animals won't work.

Also read this and note that it's never explicitly shown to us that they have the apparatus/machine to turn people into animals.
Also the hotel manager and his wife the people who should be n the know about the machine, realise that in the end the system is a sham and so does the maid.