The Young Pope

What is more beautiful, my love? Love lost or love found? Don't laugh at me, my love. I know it, I'm awkward and naive when it comes to love, and I ask questions straight out of a pop song. This doubt overwhelms me and undermines me, my love. To find... .or to lose? All around me, people don't stop yearning. Did they lose or did they find? I can't say. An orphan has no way of knowing. An orphan lacks a first love. The love for his mama and papa. That's the source of his awkwardness, his naiveté. You said to me, on that deserted beach in California, "you can touch my legs." But I didn't do it. There, my love, is love lost. That's why I've never stopped wondering, since that day: where have you been? Where you are now?
And you, shining gleam of my misspent youth, did you lose or did you find? I don't know. And I will never know. I can't even remember your name, my love. And I don't have the answer. But this is how I like to imagine it, the answer. In the end, my love, we have no choice. We have to find.?

FUCKING KINO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IsQ7Tt_2hOo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tfw we may never find such a kino again

Next season has been confirmed though.

But otherwise you're correct, there's literally no series airing at the moment that even comes close to TYP in terms of quality of writing.

Honestly I use this show as a pleb filter. In my field I run in to a lot of people who claim to like movies and tv-kino, and I recommend them this if I want to test them.

Eight out of ten times they end up dropping it.
And I end up dropping them.

A wise move

>dropping plebs for being plebs

I love this user.

Anyone else tear up a bit at the end of episodes 8 and 9? They weren't sad tears though, which confused me. I felt this deep sense of calm and understanding while crying a little. It felt almost like a religious experience.

I feel like shit after episode 9, not because I was feeling sadness, but because it reminds me that there were something called love, which I forgot it existed since 2011.

JUST

Yeah episode 8 got me. Didn't really like the ending of episode 9 though, if he was only ever going to give a speech like that why bother to stay hidden for months?

LENNY, YOU'VE ILLUMINATED YOURSELF! FUCK!
youtube.com/watch?v=IsQ7Tt_2hOo

Pope Kino I

That ending shot of the Earth was the epitome of KINO

Jesus christ, what a bunch of drivel.

FUCKING AMERICANS

The end of 8 was the African speech, episode 9 was the love letters, and episode 10 was the address in Venice. Also the reason he came out to give the speech was to find his parents and be able to reach some closure. His best friend from childhood died, his spiritual father Spencer had died, and his Madonna figure Sister Mary was sent away to Africa. As he said at the beginning of the episode, "the child pope has become a man", but there was still one thing he needed to do, which was confront his real parents. Lenny faints at the end of the episode because they turn their back on him again and abandon him, which will probably be explored further in season 2.

I cried a ton watching this shot. Nearly every episode brought me to tears.

Was this scene here a direct response to Mad Men? TYP itself seems like a response to all the nihilism seen in television drama these past two decades. It's a show I went into thinking that it would be House of Card: Vatican Edition. Instead of an atheist pope scheming for power we had a saint motivated by love who was dealing with a crisis of faith. Probably the most pleasantly surprised I've ever been by a television series.

Forgot the pic of the mad men quote.

Lenny himself is an incredibly emotional person. He tries to hide that perceived weakness by acting cold for a large majority of the series. Personally I think after he finished those unsent letters he retreated further into himself and found a comfort in the system of the church. That structure, which he never learned from his parents, was where he found his peace with God (though not.necessrily believing). He sees how it helped him cope and ends up believing everyone else should retreat into themselves to find that peace. His stance somewhat changes by the end

Is this a genuinely good show?
Do i watch it?

Yes
Yes

Also if you end up not liking it, internally accept that you're a pleb

I see that its not on amazon prime or netflix

Torrent it or get HBO.

>That structure, which he never learned from his parents, was where he found his peace with God (though not.necessrily believing).
I'm under the impression that he has always believed, but has crisises of faith at during the season between his miracles (his election, the pregnancy of Esther, and the death of Sister Antonia). God would not grant miracles to someone half-heartedly praying without faith in him.

Does it criticise christianity at all
When i first saw it on imdb i thought it would be some anti-pope shit

I found it to be pro-christian. It does cover some dark areas of the catholic church like pedophilia and homosexual priests, but it also has moments of divine intervention and genuine miracles. It also portrays every priest as having moments of humanity and love, and even some of the villains find redemption. I'd recommend watching it all the way through though because many characters have changed quite a bit by the end of the season.

I just watched the first episode and it was like a big ass drug trip. It doesn't seem like a bad show but it definitely tries a little too hard to be artsy.

Quanto cazzo se la tirano gli ameriCANI per aver visto un telefilm sui preti di Sorcretino lmao

You've failed the pleb test

>I just watched the first episode
>Judging it just by the first episode

You have to go back.

Shut the fuck up with your gookspeak faggot

Just to be clear, I was not trying to judge the series as a whole and I remain neutral toward it.

Sounds like something I've been needing then, I'll give it a shot
Might even buy it if I enjoy it

What the fuck does it mean "it tries too hard to be artsy" ? What does "artsy" even mean ? How can this supposedly be a critic ?

>I just watched the first episode and it was like a big ass drug trip. It doesn't seem like a bad show but it definitely tries a little too hard to be artsy.

So this show is fictional, didn't realise that
thought it was a period piece about a past pope

I obviously meant that it's not kino and you're dumb and stupid and mean if you think it is.

Maybe you are just american.

I am, and I already acknowledged that my critique of the show was not entirely fair, so I don't see what the problem is.