Flickino

Flickino

The worst part was terribly underusing John Goodman
The best part was the Godzilla roar at the post-credits scene

prove me wrong

Oh fuck, there was a post-credits scene?

>underusing Goodman

well now I don't really feel like seeing it, he's the best person in that cast

looking at Hiddlestone's stupid face for 2 hours doesn't seem too good either

Yes
Hiddleston and Larson's characters are held up in some interrogation room of Monarch. They then show Kong isn't the only King around. Then we see a couple of cave paintings of King Gidorah, Mothra, Godzilla and Rodan. Then Godzilla roars

The Kong scenes are pretty fun, though

is this the dark knight movie
with aiden gilligan

viet kong is so fucking boring, half the movie is setup for the paper thin characters and travel to the island, then just lame shots made to wow you but are really just drivel. the whole thing is an obvious ad for the ride at universal studios

it's just a comedy faggot

>half the movie is setup
what? this isn't peter jackson's kong, they got there pretty quickly

how the fuck is the boat running on gasoline that has been sitting for 28 years?

magick

The kong shills are out in force

>half the movie is setup
>film opens with Kong
>they get to more Kong not even 20 minutes after that
>even more Kong after almost every human scene
Yea okay

it kinda confuses me that this is part of a universe or series. it just felt like a vietnam war movie parody with monsters thrown in as unsubtle metaphors, and cool visuals. very one-off. I thought it was hilarious though

casting was pretty weird. goodman, reilly and jackson were perfect. but I don't understand why larson and hiddleston were there, they didn't fit at all

you're missing my point, we don't need to see how an expedition is set up, we all know
the movie could have had tons of more things on the island and actual character development but there isn't any

But the ride at Universal Studios is based on the Peter Jackson version.

But why was it so campy compared to Godzilla (2014)....?

I'm 99% sure Godzilla was just supposed to be a standalone movie until someone had the bright idea after the fact to make a franchise

Also completely different director

>Kong isn't the only Kong around

do they mean that there are other super-massive primates, or that there are just other MUTOs in general?

man, I really hate post-credit scenes. Not because I have to sit through the credits, but because it holds up the theatre cleaners who just have to stand at the entrance and wait for all the autists to fucking leave. I wonder what they think about the mass introduction of post-credits scenes...

Other big baddies

They don't mind it if there's enough time between screenings.

how is it any different from the movie just being 10 minutes longer?

because they still have to be there in the theatre waiting on the off chance that no one stays behind for the post-credits

I tol' em Krang kong is GOD! when you're in God's house you don't go knockin' doors. buncha dopes

fuckin kek

VietKONG
GulfKONG
KONG in Afganistan

shit movie

don't bother seeing it

it sounds like the problem is the fact they're expected to clean up before the credits end

'greed

This is exactly the problem

i'm done with remakes.

Because unlike Marbel they let the directors actually make a unique movie rather than forcing a shitty house style

At my theater they come in and chat with people as they're waiting. They're usually Sup Forums-tier autists, too

How many levels of retard logic are you operating on right now? Godzilla is from the same studio as Kong you fucking idiot, why are you bringing up Marvel?

Jackass.

can you not see the point he's making? that unlike marvel, the studio behind godzilla and kong allowed the directors to make unique movies

The setup scenes were awful and random.
>arrive in Vietnam
>go to dive bar for unspecified reasons
>Hiddleston in a random pool cue fight
>"we have to hire THAT GUY"
>they don't even know who he is
>pay him 5 times extra
everyone involved in making this movie should be shot, except the cast

Yeah
>close up of a phone ringing
>camera pulls out. King Kong picks up the phone
>hears Godzilla roar
>King Kong shocked looks at camera

>Kong punches Godzilla through the phone
>Godzilla mad as hell
>stomps off into ocean
>ominous music
>signpost on beach says "To Skull Island"

Just saw it. Legitimately enjoyed it, much more than the 2014 Godzilla.

The AMERICA FUCK YEAH scenes with Samual Jackson were fucking hilarious

Kong appeared in the first 5 minutes, had enough screen time, did enough battles with a good camera positioning and in DAYLIGHT

Solid 7,5/10, 8/10 with post-credits

oh also, bonus point for no fucking romance bullshit

>mothra is behind a desk
>King Kong sitting in a chair
>"meet your new partner"
>Godzilla walks in

>"Dammit Chief I work alone"
>"Not anymore. Now get out there and try not destroy half the city this time."

Because they didn't want to remind people of the sleeping aid known as Peter Jackson's King Kong

Anyone who unironically like Kong Skull Island is the plebbiest pleb who ever plebed. This was worse than the Transformers movies.

at last some quality on this shitstain of a board gj

>no fucking romance bullshit
That's something you don't see often.

Really? Sleeping aid? Why not just admit you don't have the attention span for a long movie?

Sleeping aid? With that fucking bug pit scene? Not likely

>he doesn't know Larson's character is gonna get APE'd

Did anyone really consider this movie kino? It was okay to middling in my book and I can see how people might think it's pretty gud but seriously kino? Maybe if they kept the Vietnam theme going instead of dropping it partway through the movie but what could possibly make this film anything more than a campy movie?

Who cares? They make 5 dollars an hour. I laugh at them as I'm leaving.

Kong's scenes were kino
Sam Jackson's scenes were kino
But the overall picture was not so much kino

the way she looked at kong... YOU JUST KNOW THEY FUCKED

I thought the movie was fun overall, apart from how "circular" and boring the plot gets in the middle. The action sequences were pretty good and stylish, with them getting REKT as soon as they arrive at the island and the final battle being highlights for me. And the first person, videogame-style shots actually work. One thing triggered my autism, though.

What the hell was up with that scene where Cole sacrifices himself, near the end? He wasn't injured or bleeding. He wasn't holding his team back. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to decide to stay behind and die, the movie doesn't even establish him as being depressed or feeling suicidal because of the war. He could've just kept running. In fact, he was probably the chillest one there. There's a whole gag where his black buddy berates him for just calmly sitting down and eating after almost dying in a plane crash caused by a fucking gigantic gorilla.
What the fuck.

He thought they were doomed, so he decided to try and save everyone by killing the monster, and the best way to do that was to trick it into eating him and then blow it up from the inside
He's really underwritten, especially since he's one of the only likable characters in the movie, but it's not a completely nonsensical train of though

You're very edgy.

Why did they give him such a comedic death and then played it as tragedy, though?

They go to the bar especifically to meet up with Hiddlestom. They know exactly who he is and why they need him. Pay attention to the movies you watch.

They're supposed to wait for the credits to end before cleaning anyways, dumbfuck

The monster would have caught up to them, so he decided to be a hero and sacrifice himself

Then he get swept away like a bug. It was fucking hilarious. I like how they took a shit on the "GO ON WITHOUT ME, I'LL HOLD THEM UP" cliché

I didn't find it funny but I can see how some might.
It was a nice way to subvert the suicide savior trope.
Why he didn't throw a grenade into the monster's open mouth is a better question.

Yeah, I think him being a bit underwritten gets in the way of understanding why he'd simply give up like that. But I do see where you guys are coming from and both of those answers fit.
The death itself being a riff on the whole "go on without me, friends!" cliché was indeed nice though, I agree.

>no fucking romance bullshit
Yeah, that was great I agree

>oh also, bonus point for no fucking romance bullshit
>Also no romance shit in Logan
Are we entering a new age of kino?

>try not destroy half the city this time
>*winks at camera*

I don't if it's the start of a trend but I do hope it becomes more frequent in blocksbusters

this movie was fucking hilarious, intentionally or not. the audience kept laughing throughout

I didn't think it was that good.

The movie had a tonal problem. One scene serious shit is happening, then suddenly the next one Reilly is doing comedy. There was also alot of choppy scene transitions. I did like the go-pro gun cams though, those were well shot.

Most of the characters were fucking stiff as shit, in particular Tom and Brie. Also, while that Chinese girl was a qt, her character was pointless with 10 lines tops, that could've been rolled into another character without losing anything. She was probably written into the contract with 10cent, since she's also gonna be in Pacific Rim 2 boogaloo. Not sure if Goodman was miscast or he was phoning it in, because he was boring. Sam did a good job, but he also seemed slightly out of character as a Lt. Colonel when he lapsed into his Ghetto atttitude spats. Cole's death kinda seemed like an asspull to make the audience laugh.

I thought the 'Nam aesthetic was pushed way too hard, considering it had less than quarter of the movie to do anything at all with 'Nam. The soundtrack was good, but stereotypical. Lack of It Ain't Me was surprising and somewhat pleasant.

I know it was an action-kinorino, but there was alot of stuff military-wise that made me cringe. Like how they charge into that fuckhueg storm, with the fucking side-doors on the Hueys wide open, and Sam is giving some sort of inspirational speech through the intercom while wind and shit is screaming through the cabin. Or how they dogfight King Kong close enough so they can be smashed by him, or crash/shoot one another. Also how they're all heli pilots, and as soon as they crash they're out of their pilot gear and into GI grunt kit. One guy has a fucking flamethrower, and some other guy apparently was carrying a fiddycal through the jungle (remember these are chopper pilots). Also the kid had a M16A2 with M203, a model not in service at that time. Tingled my /k/autism.

Should have been more about Kong curbstomping monsters.

>One scene serious shit is happening, then suddenly the next one Reilly is doing comedy

there was no seriousness in this movie though

S. Jackson's character's drama was so fucking exaggerated, I laughed my ass off every time he went full PTSD, or more like PostGorillaStressDisorder

Also the undeveloped characters were a PLUS point for me instead of negative. The biggest mistake about '14 Zilla was that it focused way WAY too much on the characters, and less on the "giant monsters beating the shit out of each other" part. Here, we got just enough focus on the characters to let the plot build up and advance, and a shitton of scenes with Kong. Perfect. Like oh no, the Asian chick didn't have any backstory or lines. Who cares, she was there only to increase the squad size, so that the movie is not about 2-3 guys running around.

I agree on the military part though.

>There's a whole gag where his black buddy
this was supposed to be part of some ongoing buddy movie style comedy hijinks between the pair but none of the jokes were even slightly funny, and there was no chemistry as the black guy had zero charisma. Just one of the many 'wtf were they thinking' aspects of this shitshow.

This. He was very likeable, and he got a cuck's death, no one was laughing in the theater, they were mostly uncomfortable. I can see doing that to a hated annoying character (e.g. the lawyers portapotty death in Jurassic Park) but it didn't feel right here at all.

Is this worth it?

From the trailer it looked like some kind of surreal mashup of Vietnam Movies and Pacific Rim.

I almost expect to hear IT AIN'T ME blasting off at some point.

Do you enjoy monsters beating the shit out of the army, and each other?

If so, yes. It's very entertaining.

The scene where Brie touches Kong's face was so fucking shoehorned in

So, what its Godzilla and Kong (established now as earth protectors) teaming up with Mothra (general good girl) against Rodan and Ghidorah?

Any speculations?

almost every scene seemed shoehorned in, without much thought

>TARS set expectations to -500
then you might enjoy it

I just like dissonance. it was fucking stupid and didn't care at all. it never stopped being funny, even during the serious scenes. I don't think it's kino but it's thoroughly entertaining. and to be honest at times it is at least visually kino

[IT AIN'T ME INTENSIFIES]

I was more annoyed with her trying to lift the fucking heli with bare hands

At least they could have had her use a big stick as a lever or something i don't know

the only funny character was Reilly, everyone else was not funny at all, even when they tried to be funny

See the thing is, Pacific Rim's script is so bad it's good.
Seeing Idris Elba say "1, dont touch me, and 2, dont touch me" is still fucking fantastic. Plus the fight scenes in that ramp up so amazingly, I mean he gets out a giant fucking robot sword just out of the blue.
Kong has all the same problems, with the stiff cast and shit writing, except it doesnt pay off well at all. A scene where all the helicopters are charging off into a storm and Samuel Jackson starts saying shit about Icarus flying close to the sun or some shit.
Kong has little to no interaction with the human characters through the bulk of the film.
Serious tonal issues where everyone's having a great time, drinking beer and shit and the next someone's getting carried away and dismembered right fucking there and then. Then back to the cheesy quips.
The internal fight between the human characters had literally no progression. Just characters making retarded decisions and the rest of the cast saying fuck it why not let's get even more lost in this fuckass jungle.

Worst of all is theres a real simple talking scene where Hiddleston's talking to someone off camera, but there's a fucking Vertigo shot thrown in there for no fucking reason. What the shit was the director thinking. Goddamn.

Overall this film's gonna blow some 12 year olds minds, with all the monster fights and cool quips and shit, but anyone with at least a shred of self-respect should find themselves angry at all the blatant mistakes made throughout the film.

Shit movie, actually angry over watching it and its positive response.
"We should definitely have black and off the boat asian scientists to tick some boxes, but don't even bother delving deeper into their characters."
>tfw these futile side characters had as much depth as the mains

>expecting logic out of a hippy woman

>wanting character development in a fucking monster movie

Yeah fuck me for wanting to watch an actually good film

it felt like the studio said "remake traditional kong with brie larson and tom hiddleston" and the director just said fuck it and made a vietnam war comedy around the bits he wasn't allowed to change. it's not a serious movie at all outside of the scenes that were obviously set in stone before they chose a director

I found samuel l jackson's character funny. every scene with shea wigham got a laugh from everyone, too, including his death

True

i watch a monster movie to see monsters

not samuel l blackson or tom hilddeston

Okay, I need to ask
Did any one of you see the unedited green screen behind a helicopter right after the Kong x Helis scene?
Me and my brother saw the same thing and can't stop thinking about it, but it feels like we're only imagining stuff

If he wanted to make it into a farce or satire, I'm fine with that. But this movie is essentially a designed-and-directed-by-committee movie, he is just a cheap director they can order around to do the execs bidding. He is a director with no vision and no backbone, but he does have a bigass hipster beard, watch him get more big profile directing gigs because he's a nu-yes-man.

>entire trailer is DUDE VIETNAM LMAO with quips and a 100ft gorilla destroying shit
>unironically expecting it to be anything more than a giant monster flick
LOL yeah fuck you artist

go watch La La Land you faggot

>oh also, bonus point for no fucking romance bullshit

I was legit surprised they stuck with a platonic relationship between the leading male and female characters.

Terrible romance is obligated in blockbusters.

I liked the movie.
Enjoyed the characters, the fights, the visuals.
But seeing faggots start in on the whole "turn ya brain off" shit to defend it makes me sad.

>needs character development and depth even in a monster movie

I'm laughing @ your pathetic life

>essentially a designed-and-directed-by-committee movie
again, outside of the scenes that are lifted directly from previous kong movies, I don't see this

the movie is a fun mess, I don't see how it could be anywhere near the execs' vision. because it's so stylised and obsessed with vietnam it doesn't work well as part of a franchise. it's also way off the tone of godzilla

definitely a farce, I don't see how the movie could be seen as anything else

>Godzilla vs Kong
>Kong tries his signature jaw break
>Godzilla goes along with it and opens his mouth
>interior of the mouth starts lighting up
>*BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP*

well at least this poster doesn't have the jesus platoon in it

>lalaland
>actually good film

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Jordan Vogt-Roberts, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Skull Island had a very ook ook philosophy: that if the kong was a good ape, the island would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Jordan Vogt-Roberts can say that Kong became King and reigned for a hundred years, and he was strong and good. But doesn’t ask the question: What was Kong’s tax policy? Did he maintain a banana hoard? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these skullcrawlers? By the end of the movie, Sam Jackson is gone but all of the skullcrawlers aren’t gone – they’re in the caverns. Did Kong pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby skullcrawlers, in their little lizard cradles?