Girl In The Spider's Web director's reason for Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig not returning

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

mtv.com/news/1676485/girl-dragon-tattoo-box-office/
wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Green Light Memos/GLMEMOS/FY2015/GL Meeting Spreadsheets/Girl.Fire.xlsx
youtube.com/watch?v=LDGqKyNV-HU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rooney you dont need that shit

But desu i can relate with the director a bit

>i cant allow myself to use wheels, because theyre someone elses invention
>so ill invent new wheels!

So he doesn't have to devote half his time to something already established...But whatever. If reinventing the wheel makes him "a good director" so be it.

Makes sense to me. You wanna tel your own story, not continue some else's.

yeah, nothing better to tell your geniune artistic vision with scarlett "past her prime" johanson.

>Girl in Spider's Web delayed as director designs new cameras, chairs and floors

You guys don't see that obviously this is his excuse. Daniel didn't want to come back, and they didn't want Rooney back.

The Sony leaks that talked about this show from years ago confirmed this. This was years in the making.

There was one talking about the season of the show that will be based on the new book after the author's death, Amy goes "this new book has Lizbeth's twin. if we were bringing her back it'd be Two Rooneys!" Scott replies "My suicide." Amy replies "my dream!"

Daniel Craig is having a mid life crises so he hasnt been in anything recently.

How do you know?

>writing a movie adaptation of a book sequel
>caring about being original

fucking idiot

What a faggot. Watch Rooney getting her 3rd Oscar nomination for the Mary Magdalene biopic this year.

>Girl in Spider's Web director refuses to use close ups, medium shots, dollys, focus adjustment, establishing shots, over the shoulders, pans and 17 other techniques because, in his words, "if I'd just take estabalished common techniques,I wouldn't be doing half my job"
>production delayed for 30 years

>no returning director
>no returning actors
>probably no Trent renzor or whatever his name is
>based not on one of Stieg Laraon's 3 books or unfinished 4th but off of a different book commissioned by the rights holders (not his former life/writing partner)

The American film was a cash grab based off the popularity of the Swedish film in American cinemas. Nobody involved was all that interested in doing a sequel and after the movie underperformed the studio weren't either.

This one may as well be a direct to video movie.

>Girl in the spiders web once again delayed due to director refusing to use a camera
>Reports indicate he has been searching for a new way to record footage

It's a fuckingb book adaptation yet this douche cares about his 'vision'.
This movie is going I be dead on arrival

Ficher's movie underperformed?

majorly. it cost a shitload to produce, Fincher's usual autism with multiple takes ballooned costs, it had a gigantic promo campaign, yet it only grossed a 6-day gross $27.8 million which is really pathetic.

>mtv.com/news/1676485/girl-dragon-tattoo-box-office/

It did $100M in the US and $130M overseas but considering the popularity of the book, Sony did expect more

It also was released in December. Releasing a film like Girl With The Dragon Tattoo during the holiday season was not the greatest idea.

Nice copout.

It was a gigantic bomb.

Production budget = 90 M
Marketing = 129 M
Total cost = $219 M

Domestic Gross = 98 M
Domestic Net = 53 M (what the studio kept from american and canadian theatre chains, the rest go to the theatres)
Foreign Gross = $132M
Foreign Net = $54 M (what the studio kept from internationa theatre chains, note the proportion is less)
Total Revenue = 108 M

Revenue - Cost = Profit

108 - 219 = $110,000,000 Loss

For those of you wondering, I got the numbers from this wikileaks document when they were calculating if they should make a theatrical sequel. Obviously the answer was no:

wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Green Light Memos/GLMEMOS/FY2015/GL Meeting Spreadsheets/Girl.Fire.xlsx

stupid beaner

>Girl in the Spider's Web in indefinite limbo as director struggles to invent a device with which he can capture moving images
>Alvarez said of the delays "If I just used Louis Le Prince's (amazing) camera, I wouldn't be doing half of my job"
>Critics have applauded the Spanish director's commitment to his craft which has left many fans of the previous movie confused.
>Daniel Craig could not be reached for comment, his publicist stating that he was too busy fucking a never ending stream of perfect 10's.

Rooney Mara was so hot in that movie. Way to fuck the fans over.

Noomi Rapace was better and should have never been replaced.

JUST BOOZE MY SHIT UP

He looks like if Brendan Fraiser ate Robin Williams, then caught an STD from Mike Myers, who, in turn caught it from Jim Carrey.

so this is the face of the man too good for david fincher AND james bond

Poor Rooney

polite af way of calling craig a decrepit box office poison.

guy is a pr genius.

Financially it didn't do well, which is really to bad. Movie is pretty great and the cold snowy feeling is comfy as fuck.

>rooney uses gmail and not her own domain
how cute

:(
how does that work?

fking why not bring her back

>YEAH I TOTALLY DON'T WANT THESE TWO HUGE MOVIE STARS TO COME BACK HEH

It's painfully clear that Mara and Craig don't want to do another without someone like Fincher to bring the clout to it (no offense to Alvarez - Don't Breath was fucking great). Now he's just rationalizing it.

Kek

I haven't kept up with the whole series, but having only seen the EU version, everything past the 1st movie was a snorefest.

the only things wrong with the american tgwtdt are 1) releasing it too close to the swedish versions 2) releasing it on christmas day. sony are short-sighted morons to not bring back fincher, mara & craig

>movie is based on a book

Just do Jeremy Rener and Kate Mara ;-)

>hollywood supporting creative decisions

has never happened, will never happen

hint: it's always money

the board of directors decided there's more money to be made by a reboot with a new cast that they can spin into a franchise, then they get the director to make a comment pretending it was an artistic decision which makes people intrinsically feel that it was done for noble reasons

>ROOROO TOOK A POOPOO

Does Tommy live in his own universe?

Tommy used to control this universe, but now he is just a distorted phantom cut off from the godhead.

huh so rooney isn't gonna play lisbeth?

not fucking watching it then. thats one of the best casting choices made ever.

>"what? using actors? do you take me for a no ideas simp?"
>literally designs new hominids from scratch and teaches them to speak phrases at command
such titanic endeavor took him 65 years of trial and error, but it was his true original vision.

What happens if I email her?

>You wanna tel your own story
You'd think you would want to do something that isn't an adaption of an existing story then.

then why is he doing a sequel to the adaptation of a book series?

he should cast Jane Levy as Lisbeth, since she's been the lead of his 2 previous movies

underrated

So why didn't the Harry Potter movies constantly switch up leads? This guy is a fucking idiot. It would be different if it were a reboot, but a sequel? Come the fuck on. I've never even seen the first movie, but why the fuck would you completely recast the sequel?

>It's been 5 years since TGWDT

>picking the white rabbit over the black one
fckn rayciss cracker bitch

>he has also been progressing in his efforts to create a new standard of measurement to base his new media recording on,
lots of money spent on tendies, legos and diapers.
jesus, has any closeted gay man ever JUSTed as hard as him? he looks like a gay goblin.

>all those lego feels

>HEY MISTAH J!!! WHACHA GONNA DO WITH ALL DESE RABBITS PUDDIN!??!?!?
Harley Quinn/10

JUSTinian II, princeps of the JFMSU, Allimonix Maximus

well done on killing this thread with this absolutely horrid post

Kek he's totally reddit and definitely nuked the thread.

>lolreddit
>lol i le agree fellow redditor!

Isn't casting a specific job?

>a sequel to the adaptation of an adaptation of a book series
ftfy

>non jewish girl gets locked out of reprising her popular role as a character

huh really makes you think

>Kate Mara
It's not Chimp in the Spider's Web, user.

In the guy you replied to. This guy summed it up Personally I think it proves even when Sony made a good movie they STILL managed to fuck up in a way that should've been predictable.

They spent WAY too much money on a mystery thriller. Daniel Craig's paycheque alone was more than the entire budget of the original fucking Swedish film. Not too surprising but it puts things in perspective when that movie made like 10x its budget worldwide and went on to spawn two sequels while the American version could barely gross the same amount it cost to produce and market.

Here's the big problem though. The American version came out after a year of Stieg Larson hype. Again the only reason they greenlit it was because the original film was successful worldwide. The Swedish trilogy was released in cinemas over the year and so by the time the "remake" came out a large portion of the potential audience were tired of it.

So yeah Sony being Sony managed to fuck up majorly even with a good movie.

Why are they skipping the rest of the trilogy?

I think she wanted to for a while but has probably let it go since and moved on. Idk. Even Noomi Rapace said she was done with it and wouldn't want to make a 4th.

Probably looked at fans not liking the 2nd&3rd books/swede movies as much as the 1st and decided fuck it we'll do the 4th.

Wasn't much of a trilogy anyway.

The guy wanted to write 10 books I believe and died after finishing 3 so we're left with an anticlimax.

the only movie I liked by him was the Evil Dead remake

This.

Stop casting other actresses to play Lisbeth Salander.

The saying is not 50%, it's 80%.
And this guy doesn't seem to understand what is really meant by the saying. In short: If you cast wrong, nothing you can do as a director will save the film. Cast right, and the film will be a breeze to direct.

Also Rooney Mara can't act for shit.

What a load of utter horseshit

that's why he's doing an adaptation, right?

>Amy replies "my dream!"
So the bitch just had her way with Rooney and tossed her out after she done, huh?

what a derivative shit book too, i mean there
were sections of the first three that were boring
as fuck... but the one they're adapting for this one,
blomkvist's magazine once again might go under, autistic math genius kid on the run, evil twin, explanation of why lisbeth chose to be
a good guy, basing her alter ego on MARVEL's wasp, get the fuck out of here... at least they could've rebooted the first two books as its own thing.

Fuck you Alvarez

she probably uses a new one now.

I get where he's coming from but this is a movie series, you've gotta have a good sense of continuity to make the most out of this form of stroytelling. He even said it himself the casting is already great. This dude seems like a bit of a fag

>lego feels

Who is Scott?

>basing her alter ego on MARVEL's wasp

Wut

Rudin

>tendies, legos and diapers

Why the fuck? Was Rooney that bad for the part?

>and the cold snowy feeling is comfy as fuck.

Almost all of the flurries and snow (other than the stuff just on the ground) is entirely CG too.

youtube.com/watch?v=LDGqKyNV-HU

Fincher seems to be good with this stuff.

she got nominated for an oscar so sony had to let her go.