Just watched Full Metal Jacket

Just watched Full Metal Jacket

I think Apocolypse Now was better[/spoilee]

That's because it is better. Full Metal Jacket is OK.

I love Full Metal Jacket, but Apocalypse Now is much better.

Apocalypse Now is arguably one of the greatest modern movie ever made.
FMJ is great, and I can watch it a hundred times and not get tired of it, Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece.

FMJ is amazing through the first half with boot camp

The second half in Vietnam is good, held together by amazing dialogue (chopper gunner, the whore, Animal Mother)

AN is the better movie though. I don't think anyone disagrees.

Thats like comparing "The Shining" to "The Thing" as a horror genre show-down.

It doesnt work like that.

apocalypse now is heavy handed throughout
>surfing while bombs are dropping
>playing music on reel to reels louder than a helicopter
>taking lsd while on a mission
>killing someone when all they reached for was LITERALLY A PUPPY

& the ending is void of meaning when the situation practically begs for something more conceptual

wat

You're not wrong, AN is comfy af.

Everything you said is correct

Difficult to compare them. The lengths and plots are so out of sync. Sure there both about Vietnam but in very different ways. I think Apocalypse Now is the better film though.

What are some other great Vietnam War movies?

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
We Were Soldiers

Platoon>>>FMJ = Apocalypse Now

Casualties of War by based DePalma

I dunno, I didn't like Platon much. I guess I need to watch it again but I was pretty underwhelmed. AN still happens to be my favorite.

Tropic Thunder

I think 3 are great, several are good. Some are hilarious.

The Green Berets

Platoon is overrated desu.

>mfw plebs say the first half is better than the second

>justcontrarianthings

It is better and more memorable but that doesnt mean the second half is shit like people like to say. The whole movie is great.

Sgt. Barnes is great.

>s-stop having different opinions!

its the thematic conclusion for everything that happens in the first half. I don't understand how people don't know this

Yea he was good and Elias was good too but Charlie sheen was fucking terrible in it and ruined it for me

The Deer Hunter, dude

Because everyone love's Ermy's performance as the drill instructor.
The entire movie is fucking great though, and the second half has MORE meme worthy scenes in it than the first.

M*A*S*H

Mash was korea u fuk

oh fug

korean m8

oh fug

if you had read heart of darkness you'd understand.

Y'all are right, but I think was referring to the fact that M*A*S*H is a commentary on Vietnam. I hope so anyway.

I love the whole movie, but I think the first half is better simply because the opening scene is one of my favorite scenes of any movie ever.

>opening scene
Dude, the last scene with the soldiers singing was fucking magnificent

Agreed. Call me a pleb but FMJ is one of my favorite movies. I just think the first scene is the best.

that whole last sequence was gold, starting from when the soldier overturns a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal and gets killed by a mine.

Is the Apocalypse Now game going to fail, Sup Forums?

Sup Forums may think otherwise, but liking Kubrick and thinking his films are great is a very common place opinion in the real world. So you're not a pleb

>tfw Francis Ford Coppola ruined Apocalypse Now with his director's cut

>film explicitly references Jungian psychology

feels good. Its such an interesting perspective to view films with

I can't like the same thing as the normies user. I must be a special snowflake at all times.

Yeah, I thought he was okay. It's a good movie and would still recommend just for the Sgt. Barnes and Sgt. Elias scenes.

Who's side are you on son?

>entire film can be interpreted as a symbolic descent into the unconscious (so can Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness)

you'd actually be surprised at how much evidence there is for this interpretation, Kubrick is a madman

Thats like his only decent role what are you talking about?

Btw imo FMJ=AN=Platoon>Deer Hunter
All of them are very different movies and show different aspects of war/nam/army overall and depict them in different ways
Thats why they are all remembered as good because its not just the same shit all over again

>My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the Great Homecoming Fuck Fantasy.
>I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece.
>In short: I'm in a world of shit... yes.
>But I am alive.
>And I am not afraid.

>Hartman mentions Mary Jane Rottencrotch in his speech about how the M14 rifle is the only pussy the marines are going to get
>Joker may be referencing the time spent on Ellis Island nostalgically since it was naive and he didn't understand war in the slightest

It might even be an unconventional coming of age film too

This. It didn't age well.

>I think Vietnam is what we had instead of a childhood
It's a coming of age film.

WHAT DID YOU SAY MAGGOT?!

I DIDN'T KNOW THEY STACKED SHIT SO HIGH UNTIL I SAW YOU

Forrest G

>It might even be an unconventional coming of age film too
A lot of war movies are. Especially if its about following a rookie/new recruit. Most people going off to war are barely adults and there's no time got a gentile transition.

I love Platoon, but I feel that AN is better simply due to it being about more than just the war, but humanity in general

>due to it being about more than just the war, but humanity in general
Platoon has plenty of that too. I mean fucking Barnes and Elias are Sheen's anima and animus.
Plus Stone was actually in vietnam, so it has some authenticity to it.

Platoon is objectively better than both.

FMJ is a great film but Apocalypse Now is an actual masterpiece.

battle of gamburger hill :---DDDDD

>Le source material is cliche by virtue of it's derivatives meme

Do you think that Marlon Brando's ad-libbed dialog at the end of Apocalypse Now had any actual meaning, or was it just the ramblings of a guy who'd been in the jungle too long?

He said Vietnam WAR movie, not a series of vignettes of Russian Orthodox life in Pittsburgh followed by gooks systematically killing themselves.