I like it but I don't understand half the jokes, i was born in 91, am i autistic or just too young?

I like it but I don't understand half the jokes, i was born in 91, am i autistic or just too young?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's one of those "let's include inside jokes that noone who doesn't autistically know everything about our lives" shows

Yeah they feature tons of references of music/TV stuff from the 70's like K-tel record compilations and small town midwestern culture.
MST3k official YT has annotated episodes which are pretty cool.

There was at least one joke that was a reference to a cast member's personal life. Absolutely nobody other than them would get it.

The one about him divorcing his wife and her taking his computer?

nah its fine. its a comfy show because you can rewatch the same episodes a couple of times and catch some jokes you didnt the other times before.

GREEN ACRES!

that's the one.
also a bit with Crow obsessed with "is it 11:30 yet?" is a reference to Frank doing the same thing - he never ate breakfast and was anxious for it to be lunchtime.

I was born in 79 and didn't get a third of the jokes when I was watching it on air (especially the older American tv show references). It always kind of seemed like part of its charm though.

gen-x here

give it up. you'll never understand

only we can entirely understand all possible references in any give show. Boomers were born too early for modern memery, and millennials are just brain dead.

I was born in 91 as well. Your problem is your a braindead faggot.

dang the only artists i recognize there are BTO and Sly

no, you just need to know about stuff that happened before 1980. I know thats alot to ask of millenials, but I was born in 1988 and grew up watching MST3K getting 9-0% of the references

Give me a good episode to watch tonight Sup Forums
If you can't or I've already seen it, I'll just listen to a Discworld Audiobook (The Last Continent probably) instead.

watch Werewolf. Its fucking hilarious. Also is discworld any good? Ive never read any of it

I thought that was just a "can I drink now its almost socially acceptable" joke

I've started werewolf but I think I fell asleep before the end, thanks user I'll do that one.

Discworld is a good series. The first few books are pretty radically different from the later ones and read much more like a traditional pulp fantasy novel but with quite a bit of [good] humour thrown in.

Later novels work on expanding the world and cast of characters and start adopting other genres. Arguably the best books in the series are essentially police procedurals set in a traditional fantasy/RPG city.

The characters have heart and the humour is on point. You generally empathize with at least one of the main sets of characters and the world is fun and exciting.

The books can be read out of order and for the most part it won't make a difference. For an introduction to the series I would recommend:

Guards Guards
Small Gods
Reaper Man
The Truth

> normal view
> normal view!
> NORMAL VIEW
> NORMAL VIEW!!!!!

>Frank's a recovering alcoholic
waitaminute

If you honestly want to get into MST3k but are too young to get the jokes you should watch some of the annotated episodes on the official channel here
>youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial/videos
MST3k is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm watching the Manos episode right now. It's pretty funny but holy shit Manos itself is hella boring.

"Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last known photograph" was probably the best line so far

It's a shame that it's become the iconic MST episode because it's so hard to get through, it scares noobs off right away.

If I were introducing someone to the show I'd go with Pumaman - everybody loves some capeshit.

This is why Gen X is superior to those that came before and after that, because they can say conceited shit like this and it's not even annoying because it's true.

I don't know how you were raised but it's amazing if you've never been exposed to either Barry White or Sonny and Cher.

In my experience Space Mutiny is the best MST3k intro episode

Don't feel badly. We can't all be born with the Kino Recognition Gene.

I started with Zombie Nightmare, and I actually think that's a perfect first episode to introduce people to the show. The movie is a bad but entertaining enough, and the riffs really hit the mark for me.

Is Zombie Nightmare the one with Adam West? I always get it mixed up with Teenage Strangler for some reason.

I like Hobgoblins and Mitchell for introductory episodes. Final Sacrifice probably works too.

I started with that one too, weird!

watch Time of the Apes for a Joel one
watch Hobgoblins for a Mike one

Yup, Adam West is in it. It actually took me a long time to rediscover because of its generic title.

The cyclops one is best to start with imo.

Seen Hobgoblins already. An earlier user recommended Werewolf so I'll be doing that, but Time of the Apes will go on my list.

hobgoblins is so bad it made me angry. I cant even remember if it had any funny jokes

Anyone else watch the live stream of Mothra they did a while back? Man, it was good. Prime stuff.

do they live stream stuff on youtube?

Bump

Anyone tried watching MST3K with friends? I find that it doesn't work well, things just fall flat. Even with some of my robot friends who would get more of the references. It's a show that I like to binge by myself.

Yeah, basically without the MST3K treatment, or watching with friends, Manos is damn near unwatchable.
It's pretty great, but IMO the best is The Final Sacrifice. When I trip it's a reference to that one.

There used to be streams around here. It was really fun. But yeah, in general I like to watch on my own.

One of the great things about the show is they will drop in some joke or reference that is really obscure and funny that you understand but most peope will not. The flip side is, you won't get a ton of them.

There are fansites that puzzle out and explain almost every single joke and reference in every episode of the show that you can use as a cheat sheet. You might even accidentally become cultured.

definitely autistic

Anyone born after 1985 is a shitty Millennial subhuman

Even if you understood the references, it wouldn't make the show funny.

>Werewolf
>Hobgoblins
>I Was a Teenage Werewolf
>Time Chasers
>The Final Sacrifice
>The Mole People
>The Giant Spider Invasion
>Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
>Final Justice

GOAT episodes.

I was born in 1995 and don't know shit about these guys personal lives and still get more references to pre-90s shit than any Gen-X tard. Guaranteed.

All the potatoes.