Netflix original series and movies may be getting mobile-friendly cuts

techradar.com/news/netflix-original-series-and-movies-may-be-getting-mobile-friendly-cuts

>Speaking at a media briefing in San Francisco today, Netflix chief product officer Neil Hunt told attending journalists that the streaming service is considering creating mobile-specific versions of its original TV shows and movies, as reported by The Verge.

>With many shows and films losing some of their impact when viewed on a tiny screen, the idea here would be to create versions that offer alternate shots, scenes and framing in order to make the most of the device the content is being streamed on.

>“It’s not inconceivable that you could take a master [version] and make a different cut for mobile,” said Hunt, and though the company hasn’t officially kicked this plan off, Hunt did state that “it’s something we will explore over the next few years.”

>The briefing was part of a two-day event at Dolby Laboratories and Netflix’s headquarters to celebrate their collaboration on the service’s latest original series, Marvel’s Iron Fist, which launches this weekend.

>While the idea of watching a big budget series or blockbuster film on a 5-inch screen may seem like heresy to cinephiles and TV junkies alike, it’s important to remember that outside of big territories like the US, UK and Australia, mobile streaming is where it’s at.

>According to Hunt, Netflix’s expansion to over 190 countries across the globe now means that “mobile screens are the majority consumption device.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
digitalspy.com/movies/news/a491726/david-lynch-watching-movies-on-a-smartphone-is-pathetic/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>While the idea of watching a big budget series or blockbuster film on a 5-inch screen may seem like heresy to cinephiles and TV junkies alike

Huh? I watched the whole of Twin Peaks on my phone, I don't Lynch would care lol

We phonekino now?

I've been /phonekino/ for years. Now it's about to get better.

fucking poor people ruin everything

Im talking about you Brazil and India to be specific

It's not like other users will be affected. if you're on a phone, you can choose a different version.

Lynch would be rolling in his grave if he knew what you had done

Lynch isn't dead, user

THIS

>tfw saw seven samurai on my 3ds

Your were probably dreaming, user.

I dream about posting on Sup Forums quite frequently. Even in sleep I can't escape this place

>it's okay to film stuff with digital cameras and camera phones but they are not meant to watch stuff on them!!!

what an hypocrite

also the thread is about content made specifically to be seen on phones

If anything it opens another door for film makers to play with the story in non verbal ways.

You're dumb. Look it up. The man is alive. And Lynch would not care one bit. The man has been creating art while embracing new mediums to do so his entire life.

This thread is young, but there's no doubt Sup Forums will have a huge backlash against this. I bet Sup Forums will will decry this as the ultimate bastardization of "muh kino", to appeal to the plebian, normie masses. You guys have to be counter culture and contrarian to everything.

I've never watched a movie on my phone, and I think it's fucking stupid (not to mention costing an obscene amount of money if you're streaming (which everyone who watches movies on their phone invariably is)) to do so, because how can you appreciate kino when it's on a tiny screen? And when you're listening to it with cheap earbuds while you're in transit or waiting at a bustop or whatever? The experience is watered down to 10% of what watching the movie could have been.

Still, I think the idea is really cool. and I'm excited to see what changes this could mean for the medium.

This reminds me of that Lorde/Lana Del Ray/Kylie Jenner/I can't fucking remember album where she made a twitter post saying that the studio produced the album to be played when using Apple iPhone earbuds, because Apple's shitty earbuds are what her fans use to listen to her music. So she produced her album to be listened to with their shit tier headphones in mind. But this doesn't bother me like that did. This could actually be cool.

I don't want to read something this long right now. Could you please post a summary?

I dreamt about Sup Forums this morning but I don't remember what it was. Any dreams about my internet life are unsettling because it's harder to stitch together a narrative out of interacting with a screen. I don't mean unsettling like "wow I can't believe that's my dream", just that they're discordant dreams.

No, it doesn't. They're just going to recut the master version to fit a phone.

Pretty sure he sleeps in a grave though.

That is fucking stupid. A screen is a screen. If people don't know how to hold a phone properly to see it fully, that isn't the fault of the show they are watching.

To create a mobile version of a film, like creating a mobile website, is like marching toward the death of cinema.

>And Lynch would not care one bit.

digitalspy.com/movies/news/a491726/david-lynch-watching-movies-on-a-smartphone-is-pathetic/

people are really watching shit on their fucking phones

BASED LYNCH

I get a feeling Netflix might start ruining film and television as we know it.

>wants to start doing a choose your own adventure
>now this

fucking christ

I'm David Lynch, Mr. "Anonymous". I came here to see what it was and maybe do an ask me anything. Unfortunately for us both, I clicked into this page, and I'm disgusted. Please stop telling people that you've seen Twin Peaks, because you haven't.

I've gotten bad reviews and complaints, and they don't bother me much at all, but wow. It's really humbling and humiliating to hear that everything I did, what I worked on apparently can be casually watched on a three inch screen without any regrets. Don't apologize.. I'm the one that's sorry.

No questions, please. I won't answer them. I don't want anything to do with this place or any of you. I'm sorry and "best wishes".

(C)KtG

>the idea here would be to create versions that offer alternate shots, scenes and framing
Changing these things can alter the meaning.

He says nothing about trimming the film down, they want more coverage and such so that phone user's eyes don't have to pick out tiny pin points on their tiny screen.

If a director is given the opportunity to create two versions of a scene there's a lot he could do without telling anyone.

loved those goosebumps books growing up with choose your own adventure

A game tried it with the TV show in it, but while i liked it, it was apparently not as groundbreaking or good. even with CIA in it.

don't see more competition as a bad thing 2bh. even if it is muh art or whatever

I liked Quantum Break too, but honestly, television shouldn't be a choose your own adventure.

The more open ended a piece of fiction is, the worse it gets, we see this is games right now, Open world fucking sucks most of the time, carefully crafted singular narrative will beat it every time.

Same goes with television and movies.

user, that's like saying taking pictures with your digital camera and only looking at them on the little screen.

The camera is just the tool, not the medium to view it.

yeah, don't want all the shows like that, just like i don't want all shows to be one genre

talked to someone on here a while back about how a plot would go, and who'd pay for some crowd sourced this choose your own adventure would presumably be. it's interesting, and can't say i wouldn't give it a shot.

they're just kinda desperately grabbing and floating ideas because their current business model is kinda floundering since every big studio wants to do their own version of the same thing.

why?
most smartphone can record at 1080p 60fps nowadays, many movie were shot in digital and are in 1080p (and even less framerate)
Sup Forums's beloved Star Barf prequels were
put the device on a tripod, have good light because the optics still sucks (and with the little space they have I doubt they'll ever be good), and you are good to go
good point

Why? A lot of people were watching that garbage on 10 inch, low quality tubes back when it premiered.

He would have you lynched.

such a sadness

You're obviously an idiot.